Vote yes on next SPLOST

I want to commend District 1 Commissioner William “Bill” Fennoy for attending the special-purpose local option sales tax meeting Feb. 28 and getting some projects for his district included in the pot.

Whatever the reason the other commissioners stayed home is moot now, but some of their constituents are disappointed that they weren’t at the table.

I already have started campaigning for the tax package’s passage, and hope my friends and neighbors will see the importance to vote yes May 20.

Tracy E. Williams Jr.

Augusta

jimmymac
jimmymac 03/14/14 - 08:40 am
SPLOST

My guess is that the writer has a vested interest in SPLOST funding.

dsterling9
dsterling9 03/14/14 - 09:05 am

Unless all the special/outside interest items are removed I will vote NO. Locally collected taxes should not be used to support non-governmental entities.

soapy_725
soapy_725 03/14/14 - 09:18 am
We might need a new "mental hospital" for the challenged voters

We might need a new "mental hospital" for the challenged voters

dichotomy
dichotomy 03/14/14 - 09:44 am
Take out ALL private,

Take out ALL private, non-governmental items and what is left is a pretty good list. But I am firmly AGAINST ANY SPLOST that contains symphonies, theaters, bridge tagging painters, and private, financially mismanaged Paine College.

I will not be blackmailed to vote for illegal and irresponsible just to get a little good. Take the private crap out. Until then I am a NO on SPLOST.

DO NOT PASS THE URA BOND FOR THE MARBLE PALACE....DO NOT PASS SPLOST......AND LET'S SNATCH OUR LOCAL POLITICIANS BACK INTO THE REALITY OF ONLY SPENDING WHAT'S COMING IN AND WHAT WE APPROVE.....AFTER WE APPROVE IT. I am really tired of this attitude they are taking lately...."Oh yeh, the ignorant voters will approve this so let's go ahead and spend it now".

rebellious
20737
rebellious 03/14/14 - 09:49 am
Let me count the ways

I disagree with SPLOST VII.
The presumption of passage by the electorate is insulting. This spending of future monies,30 million through bonds to secure immediate funds for the renovation of the Municipal Building, displays an arrogance by elected officials that passage of SPLOST VII is a foregone conclusion.

Like many others, I see the nearly 16 million for "Arts" while denying the 911 Center, Marshall's Office, Mosquito control and Augusta Regional Airport as another indicator of a misguided sense of what is important to the residents of ARC.

Ok, I can see the 8 million for the MCG Cancer Center, although it flies in the face after the disrespect shown by Azziz to the names of longstanding Augusta institutions.

And I thought with the building of the Judicial Center we were taking care of the tax burdensome justice needs of our community! Now we need to allocate 11.5 million for a Public Defender and Juvenile Court? My gosh, how many buildings do we need to prosecute criminals so they can serve 30% of their sentence and be released to ravage again?

I believe that desperate times require desperate measures. It is time for our local government to pare down their scope to core services. Narrow the focus and do those services efficiently with Customer Satisfaction. Anybody had to slug through the line to pay a water bill lately? It is right up there with what I imagine the unemployment line to be like.

No, as for me, enough is enough. Since pulling out the pitchforks is too radical, I will protest with my vote. Until our elected officials begin again to understand they are elected to serve the interest of the greater good, I shall not vote for an extension of a tax subject to such unadulterated abuse of the original intent.

localguy55
localguy55 03/14/14 - 09:49 am
Usually a special-purpose

Usually a special-purpose local option sales tax is very specific in what it is supposed to be used for. The most widely used public works are roads and bridges. They need to be continuously maintained and improved. Why is that. Aging is one aspect the other is poorly constructed roads and bridges.

I for one want the tax used for what it is intended for and I want quality in whatever we construct with it.

Less miles of superior roads are much better than many miles of badly constructed roads. There is less cost to maintain which equates to bigger dollars saved for more uses and less interference with the traffic.

It is demonstrated all over the CSRA the results of constructing many miles of cheaply built roads. Which is the huge cost to fix them and the interference with the flow of traffic due to continued road maintenance.

Insist on quality before quantity and the tax payer will be better served.

Bulldog
Bulldog 03/14/14 - 10:07 am
NO is the only answer

This list was rammed through with almost ZERO public input. It is ripe with rancid PORK and taxpayer gifts to private special interest groups! Vote NO and insist on public input when the new Commission and Mayor start on this again in 2015. The current SPLOST does not expire until 2016. We have plenty of time to get this "right" with the help of the public.

deestafford
deestafford 03/14/14 - 10:14 am
NO! is the only way to vote on the SPLOST...

NO! is the only way to vote on the SPLOST because it's become nothing but a slush fund. It was established as special tax that would be used to benefit the community as a whole on public projects. It has become a "let's give my favorite plaything some taxpayer money".

I've had numerous disappointments with the commission and this one ranks toward the top of the list. Anyone who favors this list of projects does not deserve to be reelected to any office in ARC again. Complete lack of judgement and perspective.

Darby
Darby 03/14/14 - 12:07 pm
I always vote no on

every SPLOST and it's always passed anyway. Still, I'll continue the tradition.

Why shouldn't those bozos be required to live within their means?

story1
story1 03/14/14 - 01:01 pm
We must Vote NO!

The Mayor pushed this one through at suspicious speed. We can't run the city business in this fashion any longer. Just Vote No.

triscuit
triscuit 03/14/14 - 04:42 pm
I VOTE NO...take out Paine,

I VOTE NO...take out Paine, Mills renovation, Miller Theater and all other Theaters. Spend more on roads and pipes/infrastructure and whatever else got cut in favor of these pet projects. We have LOTS of time before the current SPLOST ends, go back to the table and hammer out something good for all Augustans.

Gage Creed