Forgive neglected dogs

“Barking mad” is how disgusted I felt after seeing the photograph accompanying the editorial titled “Barking mad” on the front of the Feb. 23 Opinion section of The Augusta Chronicle. In the photo, a dog is seen tied to a house with a rope, barking in distress and discomfort, apparently in the sunlight and with no water in sight. The editorial discussed the nervous disorders and stress caused to neighbors by the never-ending noise.

The end of the editorial admonished: “The barking dogs have been heard. Loud and clear. It’s time for the beleaguered victims to be, too.”

I would say to whoever wrote the editorial that the beleaguered victims in this instance are the dogs, not the neighbors!

Yes, barking dogs left running around a yard or neighborhood at all hours of the day and night can drive one to distraction, and their owners should be held accountable. There are laws to address that situation if the owners fail to pay attention to their dogs’ behavior. But – and this is a big but – if a dog is left tied up with no means to exercise, no access to water, no companionship and no shelter, his barking is a huge plea for someone to come and help him. It is the only means he has of communicating his anguish at the unbearable treatment he is suffering by an uncaring human!

The people who own these poor animals should be the ones to suffer. They supposedly have the power to think, though that is debatable, and the dogs only want love and attention. They’ve been deprived of that through totally uncaring, mean-spirited or mindless cruelty! Perhaps the owners should be tied up for a while.

In The Chronicle’s Your Life section of the same Sunday issue, there was a lengthy front-page article about roughhousing dogs. The last paragraph in essence says that a dog’s most important playmate is its owner because the play is an enriching and bonding event, and is healthy for mind, spirit and body. Yes! How true that is.

The two articles are diametrically opposed in thinking, with one worried about the mental health of people, and one encouraging the love and companionship of dogs. My heart is with the dogs!

Molly C. Gray

Aiken, S.C.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/06/14 - 08:36 am
You are right

Perhaps the owners should be tied up for awhile.

myfather15
myfather15 03/06/14 - 08:49 am
I don't have a problem with

I don't have a problem with most of what you say in this article. But it's when people go overboard and ASSUME they know exactly what animals are saying, is when I find it ridiculous!!

"his barking is a huge plea for someone to come and help him."

Ok, can you tell me how you know this? I've had problems with neighbor's barking dogs!! I would actually look out and SEE what he was barking at; which would be squirrels, cats, other dogs, and any other animal or movement that he felf like barking at!! Every single time a train would come by, the darn dog would howl like a coyote!!

Here is something that many people need to understand; a dog is NOT a human being!! A dog is indeed, an animal. A dog will BARK at other animals, by natural instinct!! That doesn't neccessarily mean they are begging for help, although it doesn't mean they aren't either.

jimmymac
jimmymac 03/06/14 - 09:13 am
BARKING

It's hard to understand how folks can keep a barking dog tied up in their yard and the barking doesn't seem to bother them as much as their neighbors. Do they think of this barking as some kind of early warning system? Are they just ignorant to the effect it's having on the quality of life for their neighbors or are they mad at them and this is their way of getting even?

Bizkit
Bizkit 03/06/14 - 09:39 am
I don't know my house is on

I don't know my house is on fire and to save my three kids or the dog-that is tough one eh? Dogs barking is a call for help to free them from enslavement by human beings-they just want to be free. Didn't you see "Born Free". I guess you could argue just like the ole southern master who treated his slaves well that they aren't abused-but they were still slaves and not free. Even ET freed the frogs. Gosh folks if animals have rights then set them free.

Bizkit
Bizkit 03/06/14 - 10:33 am
One day dogs will have their

One day dogs will have their civil rights addressed like women, blacks, and gays. A recent study demonstrated they recognize our emotions. This travesty of justice must be addressed-free the dogs. I know it is cultural-just like slavery was in the South-but we must forgive the dog slavers and reverse this travesty. Dogs and Humans co-evolved so we are like brothers rather than master and slave-free the dogs, free the dogs. End the inhumane enslavement of dogs.

gaflyboy
gaflyboy 03/06/14 - 12:19 pm
Thanks Bizkit

It's been a while since I laughed that hard!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/06/14 - 12:34 pm
Hedgehogs

On another story today we learned that the General Assembly did not pass a bill seeking to make it legal to own hedgehogs as pets. Bizkit would make it illegal to own dogs as pets. That is funny, Bizkit. The hedgehogs are freer than the dogs, because we cannot own hedgehogs.

Bizkit
Bizkit 03/06/14 - 12:43 pm
Glad y'all appreciate my

Glad y'all appreciate my humor. I was expecting some grief for my hyperbole-but I did mean it as humorous.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/06/14 - 01:23 pm
LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 03/06/14 - 03:07 pm
Ms Gray

Exactly right!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 03/06/14 - 03:45 pm
myfather15 from LTE on 3/4/14

"
Finally, t3blesdoe admits the truth, but it takes a slobbering love affair, rekindled, to bring him to that conclusion!! Really?"

Please elaborate?

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 03/06/14 - 03:57 pm
MyFather15, Dogs are not

MyFather15,
Dogs are not human beings.
Human beings are not dogs.
BOTH are animals (kingdom Animalia)
BOTH are mammals (class Mammalia)
Simple biology.
One has a higher evolved brain.
With the advantage of a higher evolved brain comes greater responsibility.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 03/06/14 - 04:47 pm
Abused dogs

that's what they are and they are trying to let their owners know.
It is very unfortunate that the Augusta Chronicle did not publish my Letter to the Editor which concerned the abuse of these creatures - MAN'S BEST FRIEND - now it is getting cold again and rainy (ice?) how many animals have the proper shelter? Don't have a dog if you cannot take proper care of it - that is my opinion!

SimpleGirl
SimpleGirl 03/06/14 - 04:50 pm
Dogs aren't the only ones not human

Some people aren't humans either!!!!!!!! The only animals seen tied up around here are dogs......man's best friend! I prefer to see some people tied up myself. There is nothing better than having a dog as a pet and part of the family. They give back where other animals don't. It's the insensitive and heartless owners to be blamed. More mean people out there than dogs!!!!

myfather15
myfather15 03/06/14 - 07:08 pm
First of all, I agree and

First of all, I agree and also hate to see dogs tied up all the time. I do not tie my dog up and never have. I keep my wonderful Shepherd inside most of the time and ALL the time in bad weather. But if it's nice outside, I have a fenced in back yard which is his home!!

But people that complain about other tying their dogs up? What do you want, then to let them run free to attack people? The kind of person you're talking about, probably isn't the kind to discipline their dog and teach him. Their dog is probably a resemblance of them in actions; which is MEAN!!

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 03/06/14 - 07:39 pm
tomy father 15

People that let their dogs run free don't need dogs to begin with. Should be fined heavily and forbidden to have any dogs! Wish there were such a law!

SimpleGirl
SimpleGirl 03/06/14 - 08:16 pm
I'm with you TrulyWorried!

TrulyWorried, you have a big heart! And to myfather15, people who don't have a fenced in yard to let a dog roam and exercise should NOT have dogs. NO animal should be tied up. It's just not right. Some people only "use" dogs for protection, they tie them up and let them bark at whatever comes their way. They don't build a relationship with them. To me, dogs are a lot like children. They need love, care and protection. My sweet dog was with me for 14 years and was the best friend ever. She knew she was loved greatly! People should not have dogs for any reason other than bringing them into their home and treating them as a family member. Those who have never done that are truly missing something wonderful. Yes, the laws should indeed be changed to punish those greatly who neglect and abuse animals.

Project hits snag over restroom

The Augusta Regional Collaborative Project, a creation of Mayor Deke Copenhaver, hit a roadblock this week when a city inspector declared the Metro Augusta Chamber of Commerce building unfit for ...