Poor road is a hazard

It’s embarrassing to learn that South Carolina is so poor that it can’t afford to fix a heavily traveled road that is in such disrepair that you have to dodge potholes by driving into the oncoming lane.

Glenwood Drive, where the problem lies, is a crossroad between Silver Bluff and Pine Log roads that a cement factory uses to transport cement as a short cut across the area. That has helped destroy the road.

As a former law enforcement officer who sees an accident waiting to take place here, I recently wrote to my state senator and asked that he do something about the issue. I have tried over the years to get the road paved, without results from the South Carolina Department of Transportation.

I was told that road department supervisors had been out there several times, but it would cost $300,000 to fix the whole road. I also was told that the money had to be spread around to address other projects.

My response to the senator was to express my belief that a lawsuit would be far more costly if someone gets killed because of the state’s negligence. Patching pothole on top of pothole is like putting a bandage over cancer. After every rain, we end up in danger again and again.

What really bugs me about this whole issue is the fact that President Obama promised billions of dollars for infrastructure and shovel-ready projects. Where is that money?

From my perspective, the powers-that-be have been warned. If someone gets killed or seriously injured, then I expect that all of the excuses in the world won’t justify the failure to resolve the problem.

Gregory J. Topliff

Warrenville, S.C.

bubbasauce
22072
bubbasauce 03/03/14 - 12:23 am
Yes, that's Government hard

Yes, that's Government hard at work there! What a joke this whole infrastructure projects thing is! I thought that's what gas taxes are for. Am I wrong?

soitgoes
soitgoes 03/03/14 - 12:48 am
localguy55
localguy55 03/03/14 - 08:17 am
Irresponsible social spending

Irresponsible social spending draws away funds that would go to infrastructure. I believe in S.C. the gas tax can be used for other things not related to highway repairs.

In Ga. it is written in law that gas tax must go to transportation needs and for the longest time that money was slotted for roadway work. However, politicians have used the wording in the law to divert funds to other projects such as light rail that the law was not intended it to be used. So, there you have politicians screwing the public again when they misuse taxes.

jimmymac
jimmymac 03/03/14 - 09:50 am
TAXES

No matter how much taxes you raise the politicians will never spend it for anything other than pork projects to get re-elected. Politicians have never seen a tax they didn't like. It gives them other peoples money to dole out to their special "friends". The gas tax should be raised a few cents a year to repair the roads in SC. They money should only be allowed to be used for road repairs. Take the elected porky pigs ability to siphon the money for re-election pork barrel projects.

RedQuinoa
RedQuinoa 03/03/14 - 12:31 pm
I-20

While local roads are no doubt important, this LTE calls to mind the major interstate thoroughfare in our area as well:

There are sections of I-20 between Aiken exit 22 and the GA stateline, especially westbound, that are so rough and fractured, it's practically like driving on a badly maintained dirt road - at 75 mph! Hazardous and not good for suspension or tires.

Beware the huge pothole at the far end of the exit 18 bridge, eastbound, right lane.

corgimom
corgimom 03/03/14 - 09:01 pm
I recently drove I-20 in SC,

I recently drove I-20 in SC, and what RedQuinoa said is absolutely true.

It's terrible. I was shocked.

gargoyle
gargoyle 03/03/14 - 10:51 pm
Beware the huge pothole at the far end of the exit 18 bridge

It was named the crater back in 1988 to 1991. The Motel my spouse worked at had a bunch of drop in business from the automotive carnage it caused. You would think that 25 years would be more than enough time to come up with a solution rather than a patch. Now we are trusting our healthcare to the same bureaucracy that can't repair a habitual pot hole. That pot hole reaffirms the bureaucrat's and politicians creed ... there's no money in solving problems.

Butterman
Butterman 03/05/14 - 11:27 pm
South Cackalacky

Just a few potholes away from being a third world country

Democrats target turnout for Sunday voting

Registered voters in Augusta-Richmond County can cast ballots in the Nov. 4 election from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday in the Advance Voting Center at Augusta Municipal Building, 530 Greene St.