Stop generational welfare

Q: Generational welfare is a problem in Augusta and elsewhere. Why won’t our city leaders call for proper oversight and enforcement of laws against fraud and abuse of the system?

A: Votes.

I have no problem with the use of government assistance as the short-term safety net it’s supposed to be. However, abuse of the system is real, and hard-working taxpayers have every right to complain when they see it.

For example: Some Section 8 residents receiving Electronic Benefit Transfer and assistance with power bills apparently allow boyfriends/friends/family members who have good jobs to move in. Since the bills are pretty much covered by taxpayers, practically all income in that household is disposable, therefore enabling them to have iPhones, nice late-model cars, huge flat-screen televisions, etc. I hear their loud, expensive stereos blaring and smell the free steaks cooking on the grill – and yes, I resent it.

I have worked hard my entire life, made decent money most of those years, and I never dreamed of having a couple thousand dollars per month to spend on luxuries. I have always had to save for what I want or go in debt to get it. After taxes, insurance premiums and a small contribution to savings, a couple grand a month was what I had left to pay everything, including child support and expenses for two kids.

Even though the current state of our economy makes success a lot harder to achieve, I don’t believe anybody is inherently stuck in a cycle of poverty permanently.

Generational welfare has taken away incentive to try to break the cycle.

Tommy Pryor

Augusta

deestafford
deestafford 02/16/14 - 12:55 am
Not only is it fraud and waste of taxpayer money...

Not only is it fraud and waste of taxpayer money it sets such a poor example for children and this has been going on for a few generations now.

So much of what children learn is from observation of their "family" and "family life". If they see their "family" and nearly all the other "families" in the neighborhood sucking off the teat of the government they grow up to believing that is the way things are supposed to be and the cycle continues.

I believe the biggest problem we face in our society today is what Mr Pryor is hitting on and that coupled with the illegitimacy rate among single mothers. It's running about 70% in the black community and 30% in the white community. We have to come up with a way to break this cycle but it seems to be getting worse.

The answer is reducing government benefits and weening off the government teat over time but the politicians at all levels want votes to continue dependency and maintain power so they are not going to be any help.

There are small pockets of concerned citizens led by pastors trying but you see light attendance at these gatherings. Give away free turkeys and you have so many picture ID's are required. Somethings got to happen or we will destroy ourselves.

specsta
specsta 02/16/14 - 03:19 am
Let's Get Real

deestafford wrote - "...and that coupled with the illegitimacy rate among single mothers. It's running about 70% in the black community and 30% in the white community. We have to come up with a way to break this cycle but it seems to be getting worse."

The cycle can be broken when our society gets serious about sex education in this country. As long as there is any shred of stigma attached to frank discussions and education about sex, young teens will keep having children.

Conservative attitudes toward sex education leads to more STDs and pregnancies. The US has the highest teen pregnancy rates out of all the industrialized countries on earth. Other countries with better education and more acceptance of human sexuality have dramatically lower teen pregnancy rates.

Unless, people are willing to tackle the issue of teen pregnancy with policies that actually educate children and teens about human sexuality and disease/pregnancy prevention - generational welfare will continue. "Abstinence plus" and "abstinence-only" programs in the US are complete failures.

KSL
KSL 02/16/14 - 04:03 am
Good grief spec! 6 year olds

Good grief spec! 6 year olds in this country know more about sex than I did at 13, 54 years ago. And the 13 year olds have better access to contraception than I had in college. IE, I had to behave. If I had gotten pregnant, I would have been kicked out of my house. And back then, Daddy government took the attitude that there was a male in the picture who had had his fun and needed to step up and provide, even if he had to get one of those rare fast food jobs. There was no giverment help. More than likely, he would have had to sign up and go to Vietnam, after the next paragraph.

Then here comes Johnson and his new enslavement policy to get your votes for years going forward. He said it.

And illegal immigrants are the next target for slavery. The freebies provided by us taxpayers are better than a lot of us, who paying our way, can afford at the end of the working day.

KSL
KSL 02/16/14 - 04:08 am
Spec

To put it succinctly. Sex education is NOT the problem. Government enablement is the problem. You get what you pay for.

corgimom
corgimom 02/16/14 - 04:44 am
I had sex ed in school, but

I had sex ed in school, but it really wasn't sex ed. It was about human reproduction, and it was woefully inadequate. There was very little discussion about STD's, the ramifications of unplanned pregnancies, the emotional components of sex. There was no discussion about the impact of unplanned pregnancies, very little about contraception- because parents didn't want a lot of discussion because "it will give the kids ideas", as if kids didn't already have ideas about having sex.

KSL
KSL 02/16/14 - 05:39 am
I got that at home, somehow,

I got that at home, somehow, especially the ramifications of pregnancy. One of my great uncles had a farm caretaker who had syphilis in his younger days. Another one was rearing his grandson, the only person I knew of, born to an unmarried woman. Both were sad situations

But I did not need schools to teach me about those things. I had parents.

A little later I had a boyfriend who had a bisexual uncle. What a creep that uncle was. I am pretty certain my rearing and stability made that ex boyfriend turn out normal. He tried to contact me and thank me via the Internet, more than 2 decades ago for my influence on him. It was a sad situation. Both of his parents had died. He was being raised by his father's brother and his wife. His mother's brother was the strange one. I did decline to return the message of thanks. Had my husband, who won out, answer his email for me.

david jennings
david jennings 02/16/14 - 05:55 am
Parents

Specsta, not society, parents, not people, parents. Not government, uncle gov. is the enabler. Not a "village". School is for reading, writing and math. The social fabric is torn to shreds. It takes Mom and Dad, family, love not I pads, internet access. I believe the " Leave it to Beaver" days are over, now we have Kardashians,

KSL
KSL 02/16/14 - 05:55 am
Corgi, you are capitulating

Corgi, you are capitulating if you think it it is up to the schools
It is not. Not that I got liberalism stuffed in my face when I was in college. Imagine that. The 60's. I attended 2 Ivy League schools and didn't get that in my face.

Maybe that could have happened if my future husband had not insisted I get my southern behind back down south where I could participate in his education at that military industrial complex trade school on North Ave. in Atlanta.

I have to say those frat parties were just as much fun as those of the tight end guy I was dating at Dartmouth, my dad's old school, and mine when I was a junior in high school.

KSL
KSL 02/16/14 - 06:07 am
If you are inclined to be a

If you are inclined to be a lib, let your parents teach you that. It is not up to the schools to do that.

When can we get liberalism declared a religion so it can be no longer taught in schools?

And what am I asking for? Sharia? The most ultra conservative according to the libs!

scoobynews
scoobynews 02/16/14 - 07:40 am
Liberals always looking to

Liberals always looking to blame someone else for the actions of others. So it's now the schools fault that we have teen pregnancies and entitlement mentality. As stated by several posters it is the parents responsibility to teach sex education not the schools. In fact that is why you will only get the basics at school because it's not their job to instill morals that is something they should already have. Entitlement starts young and you can see it in schools now more than ever. Ebt households automatically qualify for free lunch and free breakfast (if offered). Yet these same kids who qualify seem to have an extra couple of dollars everyday to buy juices, flavored waters, cookies, and chips. Class projects are usually a pain. When you tell kids to bring in colored pencils (which were on the supply list) you are lucky if five kids out of twenty-seven have a pack. The fully expect you to have some to "borrow" so why bother buying any. I have had kids come in bragging about their special ordered $200 shoes yet they have to borrow a pencil daily. Over the past several years this has gotten out of hand. No paper and pencils on a daily basis. Entitlement is going to be the ruin of our nation.

ymnbde
ymnbde 02/16/14 - 07:56 am
sex education spectsa? you can't be serious!

mtv has sex education... Jerry springer has sex education!
you government worshippers are good campaigners
but dang... you've owned the education department for decades
you can't teach kids basic math and reading
and you're gonna teach them something their generation is consumed with?
after taking all the negatives away?
my goodness... the art of ignorance isn't just repeating the same mantras over and over
oh, wait... my bad... it is

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/16/14 - 08:00 am
Excellent post Scoobynews,

Excellent post Scoobynews, especially the comment " it's not their job to instill morals that is something they should already have." The morals of this country have become almost non-existent.

nocnoc
nocnoc 02/16/14 - 09:30 am
What are the causes of Generational Welfare?

Agree on those, develop a plan and solve them.

But do certain Leaders want to solve the welfare problem, or
does it serve a Political and Financial purpose for them?

internationallyunknown
internationallyunknown 02/16/14 - 09:56 am
The answer.

A systematic - generational approach on many levels to create a class of people who depend on the govt.

The lawmakers KNEW what would happen.
Now, there isn't a quick fix.

The have and the have-nots.

Libs and Cons....two sides of the same coin.

What have YOU PERSONALLY done to help the plight of the generational welfare recipients?

The curses of generational welfare.

scoobynews
scoobynews 02/16/14 - 10:31 am
What have we done???? It's

What have we done???? It's not my job to end generational welfare. It's called motivation and wanting better out of life without being on public assistance. For most of us it was finishing school, getting a higher education, waiting to have children, and making wise choices. You don't have to be RICH to do those things just raised right. Time to stop the blame game by getting off their butts and WORK for it like the rest of us.

internationallyunknown
internationallyunknown 02/16/14 - 11:12 am
^

....once again....two classes of people have been created.

Those who care....and then there are those who don't.
Those who have love within them and those who don't.

1. Love me. (God)
2. Love thy neighbor.

A simple conversation can CHANGE someone's motivational level....

jimmymac
jimmymac 02/16/14 - 12:16 pm
CAUSATION

Woman's lib had a lot to do with the current issues with generational poverty. They pushed for society to remove the social stigma of unplanned pregnancy. They pushed to make society start aiding peoples bad choices by seeing to it that government would be there to prop up bad behavior. Now government makes it better to be on the dole than to work for far too many households.

burninater
burninater 02/16/14 - 03:16 pm
Folks, do you even KNOW

SENIOR CITIZENS.

If you want to talk "generational warfare", at least get your facts straight. The most frustrating thing about this whole debate is the number of people who open their mouths and don't even know what is true.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 02/16/14 - 03:46 pm
Senior Citizens

get the majority of public assistance money? burninater you must be from another planet - go back to it!

teaparty
teaparty 02/16/14 - 03:46 pm
"Then here comes Johnson and

"Then here comes Johnson and his new enslavement policy to get your votes for years going forward."
KSL, you are correct, it amazes me how blacks consider him a hero yet he was very racist. Johnson said, “I’ll have those n-word voting Democratic for the next 200 years.”
Johnson probably did more harm to black people than any other American

teaparty
teaparty 02/16/14 - 03:48 pm
"The most frustrating thing

"The most frustrating thing about this whole debate is the number of people who open their mouths and don't even know what is true."
burn, but at least you admit it.

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/16/14 - 04:24 pm
'Folks, do you even KNOW what

'Folks, do you even KNOW what generation gets the majority of our public assistance money?

SENIOR CITIZENS."

This statement is a little misleading but that is not surprising. Receiving public assistance and receiving welfare are two different programs. With public assistance 55% of senior citizens receive medicare and social security, programs in with they have contributed to by their life time of working. This is not "welfare" but is considered public assistance. Low income which receive "welfare" through low income programs is also considered public assistance but is fund from the federal government for which they have not worked for or contributed to.

Yes burninater there are a number of people who open their mouth, they know the truth but love to twist the facts into lies.

Grandpa Jones
Grandpa Jones 02/16/14 - 04:37 pm
...

The most interesting part of these debates is that no one blames Satan.

allhans
allhans 02/16/14 - 07:41 pm
The message could be simply

The message could be simply "Wait until you are married and gainfully employed to have children.
The little darlings know ALL about the birds and bees - now someone needs to instill morals into their sweet little heads.

ymnbde
ymnbde 02/16/14 - 07:55 pm
ah, burninator, junior citizens get more...

because senior citizens are reaping what they sowed
and the "junior" citizens are getting what senior citizens sowed, too
really... we need a better class of liberal on this site

burninater
burninater 02/16/14 - 08:47 pm
No excuse to not know the facts

Here are the facts:

The average single-earner couple that hits 65 in 2010 will receive $859,000 lifetime Social Security and Medicare. They will have paid $367,000 into these programs.

The average double-earner couple that hits 65 in 2010 will receive $970,000 lifetime Social Security and Medicare. They will have paid $734,000 into these programs.

The average single male that hits 65 in 2010 will receive $458,000 lifetime social security and Medicare. They will have paid $367,000.

The average single female that hits 65 in 2010 will receive $512,000 lifetime social security and Medicare. They will have paid $367,000.

If y'all don't have the grace to apologize for calling someone a liar when what they said was true, you should at least have the good sense to be informed of something before you talk about it.

scoobynews
scoobynews 02/16/14 - 08:27 pm
Social security is money that

Social security is money that was paid into by people who worked to put it there. So basically you are getting your money back. How is that "public assistance"?

burninater
burninater 02/16/14 - 08:47 pm
Scooby, please read the

Scooby, please read the numbers again. For every taxpayer category, the average senior citizen will receive significantly MORE tax money than they paid into the system.

And by MORE, we're talking on the order of $120,000 to $250,000. Each.

Wow.

mrenee2003
mrenee2003 02/16/14 - 09:17 pm
Welfare

Most people who go on welfare are on it temporarily. In fact, approximately 19% of welfare recipients are on it 7 months or less. In Georgia, there is a work requirement. All adult recipients are required to participate in work activities and training for at least 30 hours weekly. There is a lifetime limit of 48 months in GA. It's completely inaccurate to say that people on welfare don't contribute to the "system" because the vast majority of them do.

There are lots of people on medicare who have never paid a dime into the system. They get the entitlement based off of a spouse's work record (in some cases a spouse that they are divorced from or who died). So, not everyone who is on medicare has made a contribution. The same goes for social security.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 02/16/14 - 09:32 pm
burninater

I am as fiscally conservative as they come. I am so much to the right that I could topple over at anytime. I am more on the side of the other commenters who are reminding you that social security and medicare were programs that senior citizens invested into, rather than welfare, SNAP, section 8 etc. that people made no investment into, but... you do make some points and I have to agree that many will draw more out of social security and medicare than they ever contributed, but you are not addressing those who will die 1-5 years after beginning to receive their monthly SS checks and whose spouse will as well. It is a Ponzi scheme to end all Ponzi schemes. How many will pay in for 50-55 years and die within 5 years versus how many will pay in 30-35 years and live 25 more years? None of us know, it's like a Vegas crapshoot, which is why it should have never started to begin with. The government should have stayed out of people's retirement savings. It's each person's responsibility to plan, pay for and raise their own children, save and send them to college, or not, and save enough money to retire and enjoy their golden years or not. My dad died at 65, 10 months after retiring, my father-in-law died at 83 and had been retired for awhile, maybe they cancelled each other out, but better for the government to have just stayed out of the retirement business.