It's a slap in the face

I am a U.S. Air Force retired senior noncommissioned officer. I served proudly for more than 22 years. I served in Vietnam, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and other places all over the world.

While in Saudi Arabia and Pakistan I can tell you that many of the people we worked with told us they did not want us in their country. I hear from returning veterans whom I proudly welcome back home: “They don’t want us there now.” They would rather live their own lives and don’t want democracy.

The United States continues to insult those leaders and countrymen over and over. Women have little or no status over there. They are there to have children. So what do the past two presidents do? They send in females as secretaries of state to represent the United States. Don’t any presidents, their advisers or members of Congress who approve the nominees have any idea what an insult this is to the leaders of their countries? I guess not. It’s a slap in the face.

When did the United States become the police force of the world? Many of “we the people” told the president that as soon as our troops came home, the same situation that drove us over there in the first place would return. The national news told all of us that within one week of our departure, Fallujah, Iraq, already was being taken back by radical Islamists. How will the president justify, to all the families who lost their loved ones over there protecting the city, why those lives were lost?

Speaking of slaps in the face, do they think “we the people” are stupid or incompetent, or just don’t care what he does to us? The news reported that he gave his wife a birthday present of allowing her to stay an extra day or two in Hawaii. The cost to “we the people” will be more than $1 million. We are paying for all the hotel rooms, food and transportation for the Secret Service and air crews to fly Her Highness back to Washington to her free house and meals. The fuels alone for the plane will be hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I wish I could ask “we the people” to foot the bill and send my wife to Hawaii for a day or two on her birthday.

Think what that money could do for the homeless and/or returning war heroes who really need the help. Do they really think we are that stupid?

Richard E. Schultz

Martinez

corgimom
corgimom 02/15/14 - 03:58 am
No, Richard, what is absurd

No, Richard, what is absurd is for people to expect the President and his family to live in a prison during the Presidency. They are normal people and are entitled to visit friends and travel, just like the rest of us. They are entitled to take vacations, go wherever they choose, have friends, stay at friends' houses and do normal things that the rest of us do.

They don't give up their Constitutional rights as Americans, nor do they stop being people.

The people in Hawaii are part of the United States, and the President is just as entitled to go there as anywhere else in the US. They go to Hawaii every year, this is nothing new, and he probably is still a resident of Hawaii and needs to fulfill residency requirements. Doggone those pesky laws!

If McCain would've been elected, Sarah Palin would've been going to Alaska on a regular basis. What's the difference?

corgimom
corgimom 02/15/14 - 03:59 am
"So what do the past two

"So what do the past two presidents do? They send in females as secretaries of state to represent the United States. Don’t any presidents, their advisers or members of Congress who approve the nominees have any idea what an insult this is to the leaders of their countries?:

It is beyond comprehension to think that American presidents would choose their Secretary of States based on what a bunch of foreign countries think. That is just laughable. If those other countries don't like it, too bad. The world seems to cope with Queen Elizabeth of England just fine, don't they?

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/15/14 - 08:37 am
"and are entitled to visit

"and are entitled to visit friends and travel, just like the rest of us. "

Yes, but us peons have to pay for our own vacations and theirs too. We will hear, yeah but President Obama look less vacations than President Bush but in the large scheme of things you need to look at location and cost. "Bush often worked from a family home in Texas whereas Obama has no equivalent family retreat" therefore costing tax payers more for Obama's vacations. "While Bush essentially used the ranch as a working White House, Obama has traveled to a variety of destinations, including his native Hawaii."

Corgimom, while I have no issue with a president and his family taking vacation, I do have an issue with the cost. And please, do not even compare their vacations to "we the people". If the Obama's were not in the White House and had to foot the bill themselves, I seriously doubt they would have taken a ski trip to Aspen, to Spain, and the Bahamas. The family has vacationed in Hawaii every year. Not unusual but costing taxpayers over $20 million up till last year, is not just like "we the people".

You asked "what's the difference"? COST

seenitB4
81914
seenitB4 02/15/14 - 08:54 am
Slap me silly

The slap is the MILLIONS of dollars we give these countries...& they don't want us there.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 02/15/14 - 10:01 am
"What's the

"What's the difference?"

Blind hatred.

And they will deny it every time. One only has to look at the vacation habits of past presidents and the response of those doing the complaining now to see that this only became a problem when this president, who is a "foreign, socialist, Marxist, America-hating, liar, moron", entered the White House.

When you hear a person at a town hall meeting stating that the president should be executed and the US Congressman laughs, I have nearly given up any hope for sanity from some of these people.

I am waiting for Preibus to demand an apology from that group as he did when he was insulted by a text message sent by a MSNBC staff person. I am also waiting for the ACES to write an editorial about how free speech does not have to be hateful. (Maybe I missed it during the ice storm.)

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 02/15/14 - 10:14 am
The true slap in the face is

The true slap in the face is the work session of Congress. The House seems to average about 10-11 days a month. These are the people who would raise retirement age to 70 if given the chance. If I worked part-time and made $174k a year I wouldn't mind waiting to retire at 70 years. And let's not talk about the staff that assists them and make it easy for them to do so little.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 02/15/14 - 10:17 am
The beauty of our country is

The beauty of our country is that we can agree to disagree.
I sincerely thank you for your service, Mr. Schultz in furthering that ideal.

justthefacts
20510
justthefacts 02/15/14 - 10:34 am
Sure TM

"The beauty of our country is that we can agree to disagree." But not without you calling them "haters". Right?

teaparty
teaparty 02/15/14 - 10:43 am
"who is a "foreign,

"who is a "foreign, socialist, Marxist, America-hating, liar, moron", entered the White House."
TM, I disagree, I don't think he is 'foreign' at all. He is a native 'socialist, Marxist, America-hating, liar, moron".

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 02/15/14 - 11:33 am
The people who want to raise

The people who want to raise the retirement age to 70, all seem to have jobs where they sit on their rear ends for a living. The House is scheduled to work 113 days this year. The Senate convenes Jan. 6, and is off Jan 20 - Jan 24, Feb 17 - Feb 21, Mar 17 - Mar 21, Apr 14 - Apr 25, May 26 - May 30, Jun 30 - Jul 4, and Aug 4 - Sep 5, plus regular weekends, with adjournment TBD. 268 of the current 534 members have a net worth of over a million dollars. Congressman Darrell Issa (R) California, of multiple car theft and then blaming his brother, leaving the scene of an accident, concealed weapons, and having a fire the fire marshall claimed was arson at his place of business that miraculously occurred just 3 weeks after he increased his fire insurance 462% and removed all computer equipment containing all accounting and customer information, fame leads the pack with anet worth of between $330 million and $598 million which he earned through his company the Viper car antitheft system. I guess he had a lot of practice, and not that he's vain, but he used his own voice on the recording to warn people to back away from the vehicle. Just a lucky guy. So they're rich to start with, they don't work but a third of the year, when they do they have a job they sit on their butts, and if they manage to struggle along until the age of 70, they're only pulling down $174,000 a year. Let 'em dig ditched ot tar roofs for $10 bucks an hour and see how many want to go past 62, much less until 70. They're totally out of touch with the common man. It's the blue collar people who don't make tons of money and work their bodies into the ground that need to retire at 65. The life expectancy has increased yes, but it's increased for the wealthy, and white collar workers who have great health care, and their spouses, who generally don't have to work. They skew the numbers. Raising the age to 70 is effectively sentencing most Americans to working until they die at their jobs. Their increasingly lousy jobs with lousy pay, little to no vacation, no pension other than maybe a lousy 401K. The American dream.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/15/14 - 11:40 am
ICL is right

It is the conspicuous extravagance of their travels that ticks people off. Not to mention dragging along entourages of family and friends(?) at times.

As far as the president being away from the "job", he never is. He is POTUS whether on the golf course, in Crawford, Texas; or at Martha's Vineyard.

justthefacts
20510
justthefacts 02/15/14 - 12:02 pm
If we raise the retirement age to 70

The fault will be because of the Democrat's fiscal irresponsibility. Of course the Dims are too dumb to realize it.

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 02/15/14 - 01:11 pm
EVERY PRESIDENT AND FIRST

EVERY PRESIDENT AND FIRST LADY HAS TRAVELED. Laura Bush traveled abroad 212 days seperate from Presidential trips. Durings GW Bush's second term, she traveled abroad 135 days, which was more than President Bush. Nancy Reagan spent a bundle on new White house china and to redecorate the White House living quarters. They were done with private donations. Twenty three oil men got together and chipped in $270,000 (or the equivalent of $763,329.98 in 2013) to donate for that. I'm sure they didn't want anything in return. Actually, i think they kept having to keep revising the $700K up.

corgimom
corgimom 02/15/14 - 03:30 pm
Bodh, nope, sorry, disagree.

Bodh, nope, sorry, disagree. People, unless they have serious health issues, are capable of working till 70. My father did home repair, he gave up plumbing at age 75 because it was too hard on his knees to crawl under sinks, and did home repairs and installed garage door openers until his death at age 85, AFTER suffering a stroke. If he hadn't died at 85, he still would've kept going.

People that farm do backbreaking, constant heavy labor, and most of them go past 65, too.

If someone doesn't smoke, doesn't drink, and doesn't do illegal drugs- which will break down your body far faster than physical labor- it's quite possible to work to age 70. They may not work the same type of physically demanding job as before, but they are still capable of fulltime work.

My husband, who is nearly 63 and is sick with COPD, plans on working as long as he can. He's not about to retire, sitting around the house is his idea of Hell on Earth.

When people retire, that's when they deteriorate. Work does far more than provide you with a paycheck.

corgimom
corgimom 02/15/14 - 03:35 pm
Their "entourage", as you put

Their "entourage", as you put it, is necessary to perform their job. The President and First Lady never really get a day off.

As for their friends and other than immediate family, they have to pay their own way, and I love to travel with my friends and family, who doesn't? Why should anybody object to that?

As for the "extravagance", it is not any President's fault that the world is filled with looney tunes that want to kill them and their family. The "extravagance" is necessary to protect their lives, and they are not to blame for that.

Being the President doesn't mean a prison sentence. They have the right to live their lives just like the rest of us.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/15/14 - 04:05 pm
Protective entourage? Yea,

Protective entourage? Yea, right.... Not to mention, traveling in opulence with the country in the worst economic condition in 80 years.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/15/14 - 04:11 pm
Defend THIS.

"But while most of the country is pinching pennies and downsizing summer sojourns - or forgoing them altogether - the Obamas don't seem to be heeding their own advice. While many of us are struggling, the First Lady is spending the next few days in a five-star hotel on the chic Costa del Sol in southern Spain with 40 of her "closest friends." According to CNN, the group is expected to occupy 60 to 70 rooms, more than a third of the lodgings at the 160-room resort. Not exactly what one would call cutting back in troubled times.
Reports are calling the lodgings of Obama's Spanish fiesta, the Hotel Villa Padierna in Marbella, "luxurious," "posh" and "a millionaires' playground." Estimated room rate per night? Up to a staggering $2,500. Method of transportation? Air Force Two.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/material-girl-michelle-obama-modern-d...

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/15/14 - 06:22 pm
Corgimom's comments at 2:30pm

Corgimom's comments at 2:30pm is such hogwash. I've worked long and hard and don't plan on working till I'm 70. When 62 comes I'm going to enjoy sitting on my back porch every morning with a cup of coffee and gladly let some young whipper-snapper take over where I left off. As long as I'm living off the money I've stashed away all these years and no dependant on the government for support.....then I see no reason why I shouldn't retire and enjoy life.

carcraft
carcraft 02/15/14 - 08:25 pm
I am 65 next year, and I am

I am 65 next year, and I am TIRED! Tired of getting up at O- dark 30, rushing around trying to get cases started, come home after 10 or 11 hours and have work that needs done at home then crawl into bed and start it all over again. Budget money to pay bills, try to keep spending under control then find out some jerk spent $141.00 on an EBT card for mountain dew and lobster tails! My tax dollars at work! I wanted to keep living like that so that jerk can eat lobster tails? LOL I'm outs there. I'll set on my butt and write nasty letters about EBT card folks getting to cash out on lobster tails!

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 02/16/14 - 05:15 am
I agree with ICL about

I agree with ICL about allowing some young whipper-snapper take over and sitting on the porch with a cup of coffee. My deck has an eastward orientation and oh how I enjoy the sunrise while I sip coffee or tea!

And speaking of that young whipper-snapper, that is another benefit of those who are no longer job-locked under the ACA. They can get out of the way and find the job they want instead of being dead weight and just drawing a paycheck solely for the health care.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 02/16/14 - 05:18 am
"I'll set on my butt and

"I'll set on my butt and write nasty letters about EBT card folks getting to cash out on lobster tails!"

A sure recipe for a miserable retirement.

carcraft
carcraft 02/16/14 - 06:31 am
In YOUR opinion!!!!

In YOUR opinion!!!!

Longtime Red Devils coach honored

LINCOLNTON, Ga. - Larry Campbell slowly walked into the stadium like he had done countless times before. But on this night, Campbell walked out of his stadium.