'War on women' unfounded

Republicans have framed the push for expanded access to contraception as a liberal “war on women.”

I find it difficult to understand the conservative argument that improving women’s access to birth control is restrictive to their reproductive freedom. The implication of this idea is that repealing the Affordable Care Act and its employer mandate – thereby making it harder to obtain birth control – would be somehow empowering to women.

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee recently stated that the employer mandate is making women “believe that they are helpless” without the government. I’d like to hear some women’s perspectives on that.

If employers were, for some reason, morally opposed to vaccination, would they be within their rights to refuse coverage? Birth control is an important component of women’s health care. Also, making it easier for women to obtain birth control would help to prevent unwanted pregnancies, especially for women on the bottom of the socioeconomic ladder. Better family planning would help not just poor families, but every citizen in the United States.

Republicans have long emphasized the importance of individual choice and personal responsibility. It seems to me that making contraception more readily available to women does exactly that.

Furthermore, oral contraceptives have numerous health benefits in addition to preventing pregnancy. Birth control can lower the risk of certain cancers; ease the symptoms of premenstrual syndrome and endometriosis; and even give women clearer skin.

I don’t believe either side is waging a “war on women,” nor that using such language is helpful to our political discourse.

Quay A. Rice

Martinez

Comments (30)

carcraft
20672
carcraft 02/01/14 - 09:27 am

Well Quay, family planning

Well Quay, family planning was available to most Americans before the affordable care act. Public health agencies and non profits all provided birth control with price based on means testing. Krauthammer in today's editorial nails the philosophical problem with Obama care and birth control. Read the editorial it is excellent as always. The saying "there is no free lunch " is as true today as ever. My issue is, that by adding all the "free bees " premiums to soar with the average premium increasing am average of 41%, co-pays doubling and deductables having equally large increases making "the AFFORDABLE Care Act" anything but. Even the poor don't like it. Many people are forced to pay for products like birth control etc (like my wife and I)that will be never used. The funds from these excesses are used to reduce premiums for others. Even with these extra funds levied for the required "free Bees" the premiums, deductibles and co-pays are to high for the working poor! Don't believe me, look up the women in Washington State who E-mailed Obama about the joy of having health insurance for the first time. Obama mentioned her in his Rose Garden ceremony. The problem was, health insurance is still to expensive for her, she had to admit she still couldn't afford health insurance. Part of the problems? The "free bees" being added to the cost!

Scratch
Scratch 02/01/14 - 10:09 am

Insurance Companies want Gov't Mandates

Those evil insurance companies are actually very much "in bed" with gov't at both state and federal levels. The more services and products mandated, the more those insured beneficiaries pay for services and products they will never use. As for the specifics offered by the letter writer, I have a couple of comments. Just as Carcraft stated, contraceptives have always been quite accessible to all women, even the poor. The objection by many employers on moral and/or religious grounds is being coerced by gov't mandate to pay for contraceptives that include abortifacients. As for the health benefits of birth control drugs, I suggest the writer check out Yaz and related substances. All evidence points to the drug leading to blood clots and heart attacks. There is also data showing links to various cancers in chronic use of birth control drugs. Bottom line is that contraceptives are readily available to all women and little or no cost. Women do not need a mandate in the ACA to access birth control. I believe that was also the point that former Gov. Huckabee was trying to make, albeit somewhat clumsily.

Junior Dawg
Junior Dawg 02/01/14 - 10:43 am

???

The writer states, "republicans have long emphasized the importance of individual choice and personal responsibility." Um, yep! And ObamaCare spits in the face of that idea. The law mandates birth control, but why does a 60-year old married couple need free contraceptives? The answer is they don't, but their premiums are higher because of it.

Why is it so hard for liberals to see past their political views and understand basic economics? Understand liberty? Understand freedom? Understand work ethic and personal responsibility? Understand the basic concepts around the founding of our country?

This country was formed to get away from tyrannical government and religious persecution.....but if you are a conservative minded libertarian, you have to wonder where that America is....it sure ain't the America we live in today. God bless America!

Pond Life
Pond Life 02/01/14 - 10:55 am

Liberalism

Ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

deestafford
deestafford 02/01/14 - 11:16 am

Personal responsibility is the key...

Personal responsibility is the key. If a woman is going to spread her legs for someone not her husband she is personally responsible for the results. As has been pointed out birth control is readily available at low cost or no cost.

Apparently, with the high out of wedlock births even free birth control is having no affect--especially with the "poor".

deestafford
deestafford 02/01/14 - 11:27 am

See, this "War on women" is typical...

See, this "War on women" is typical Alinsky and Marxist tactics. One of the key pieces to both of these philosophies is to keep turmoil going with the adversary.

If there is not a problem you create one to make the minions--uninformed, ignorant followers--thinking you are doing something for them when, as with the magician, their attention is diverted from the real action---destruction of America's historical principles and foundations.

carcraft
20672
carcraft 02/01/14 - 02:46 pm

Junior Dawg the reason this

Junior Dawg the reason this stuff is mandated even for 60 year old sterile people is that it increases premiums to help cover costs of premiums for the poor. It is simply another form of wealth transfer!

corgimom
19271
corgimom 02/01/14 - 04:56 pm

carcraft, I invite you to

carcraft, I invite you to find all of these public health agencies and non-profit agencies in small-town and rural South Carolina and Georgia.

They aren't there. And when you have no transportation, it's even worse.

Even in Augusta. Take a look at where the bus lines run- and where they don't. RC is big. You get down in South Richmond County, how are you going to get to the Health Department or Planned Parenthood?

When I lived in South Richmond County, I lived 6 miles from downtown, and they stopped the bus line soon after I moved there.

People say things like "there's a drug store on every corner." No, there's not.

I live in a modern, progressive city- Charlotte. I live in the city limits. It's 13 miles to downtown, 13 miles to the nearest hospital, and we just got bus service a few years ago.

And in the surrounding counties, it's just as bad if not worse.

It is NOT accessible like people think it is. If it was, we wouldn't have the need for abortions like we do now.

corgimom
19271
corgimom 02/01/14 - 04:59 pm

" If a woman is going to

" If a woman is going to spread her legs for someone not her husband she is personally responsible for the results. "

Gee, deestafford, why aren't you talking about the MEN that these women are having sex with? Why aren't THEY personally responsible for the results? Last time I checked, it takes TWO people to conceive a child.

What a nasty, ugly, sexist, inappropriate thing to say.

It is also very inappropriate because many married couples use birth control, too. Or does that not happen in your world?

corgimom
19271
corgimom 02/01/14 - 05:03 pm

" The law mandates birth

" The law mandates birth control, but why does a 60-year old married couple need free contraceptives?"

This 56 year old married woman has taken birth control pills long after having a hysterectomy, some of you on here are very ignorant of women's health issues.

Birth control pills are prescribed for other reasons than birth control. Sheesh.

And I took them as a young teenager without having sex, either. For medical reasons.

I guess some people would rather pay taxes for welfare and food stamps. The logic of some people-

corgimom
19271
corgimom 02/01/14 - 05:08 pm

Carcraft, did you know that

Carcraft, did you know that the biggest consumers of health care is the elderly?

All the people that are paying premiums- they are paying lots for the health care of the elderly, which will be you and your wife one day. So yes, you pay for contraceptives, they will pay for your care.

That's the way it works with insurance.

teaparty
teaparty 02/01/14 - 05:10 pm

" What a nasty, ugly, sexist,

" What a nasty, ugly, sexist, inappropriate thing to say."
corgi, it is nasty and sexist but very true. I agree men should be men and take responsibility. But the facts are the women are the ones that get pregnant. I see many young girls that do not even try to keep from getting pregnant.

Pond Life
Pond Life 02/01/14 - 05:46 pm

I'm sorry, but not having the

I'm sorry, but not having the government force an insurance company to pay for my birth control does NOT equate to waging war. I sure am glad that my premium covers prostate exams. That's money well spent.

carcraft
20672
carcraft 02/01/14 - 06:39 pm

Corginom, I watched a video

Corginom, I watched a video on employees receiving the down and dirty on their health care. I guess this is the way insurance works right? Except it used to not work this way! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuA2_P-m4Sk I have 3 children and step children. All are doing fairly well. The problem is they or their spouse all got out of college and are in debt from student loans. Two had children recently. Adding the cost of increasing health care onto them is really stretching already tight budgets. As I've stated on previous threads, all these mandated "free bees" into health insurance is rising the cost so even the working poor can't afford it. Ask the women from Washington state who wrote an E-mail to Obama and he cited the e-mail in the Rose Garden Ceremony hailing the start of Obama care. She e-mailed Obama "I am so happy for the first time I can afford health insurance for my child and I, I was crying" She has since found out she still can't afford health insurance except now if she doesn't buy it she gets fined! Isn't government wonderful? http://us.yhs4.search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=AwrTcdSxdu1S0T8AvTIPxQt.;_ylu=X3o...

KSL
KSL 02/01/14 - 08:40 pm

I have an idea.

Their boyfriends could provide the transportation.

corgimom
19271
corgimom 02/01/14 - 08:45 pm

KSL, the big drug dealers

KSL, the big drug dealers have transportation. The rest of them, don't.

When you are poor and jobless, you can't afford a car.

That's why you see so many men in the poor areas riding bikes.

corgimom
19271
corgimom 02/01/14 - 10:22 pm

Carcraft, I watched that

Carcraft, I watched that video too.

I WISH I had that plan that they used to have.

A $25 copay for a doctor visit? I nearly fell over. We haven't had that in years.

Did they really think that was going to go on forever? They were in tall cotton for YEARS and they just didn't know it.

This HORRIBLE INCREASE that people are so shocked about, is what many people, like my husband and I, have been paying all along. And nobody cared when we had to do it.

We pay several hundred dollars per month, and have been for years. Where were all of you when we were doing that? Why didn't anybody feel sorry for us, when we were doing that? That woman that had the 300% increase, that means she used to pay a little over $200 for her and her child. Holy moley, how CHEAP was that??? She had it GREAT! I paid that back in the early 90's!

Carcraft, while I would not presume how to tell you or your children how to live their lives, they knew they had student loans, they chose to have children, and yes, they are going to be poor. Real poor. For a long time.

I was poor when my son was born, many people are, and I didn't have any student loans. I was living-in-poverty poor. And when I went to college, I never, ever went to the college of my choice, I went to public state colleges, just so that I wouldn't have student loans to pay back. It's a choice, even 40 years ago I knew that graduating with student loans was a bad idea. I worked and went to school at night. It took me 8 years to get a 4 year degree, and it was very hard, but I was debt-free when I did it.

I also didn't buy a house until I was 31, I lived in some pretty ratty rental places up until then. I drove a cheap car (a Chevette), then I drove Ford Escorts from 1988 to 2011, even though both my husband and I were college graduates. Now I've hit the big time, I drive a Toyota Corolla. *snort*

But I don't feel that I missed out on anything. I've done just fine.

Having a college degree does not come with a promise of wealth. Some may do better than people who don't have one- although that is not 100% true- but too many people go into debt for a college degree and it doesn't really make sense. They then graduate from college, think they'll be making good money- and then the student loans come due and then they're stuck.

They are just going to have to lower their standard of living until they get those loans paid back. When you're young, 10 years seems like an eternity; to people our age, 10 years fly by before you know it.

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/01/14 - 11:13 pm

9:22

That just might be a personal best on the use of "I, me, my" by corgi. If not, it has to be close.

Pond Life
Pond Life 02/01/14 - 11:42 pm

So corgimom. Since you have

So corgimom. Since you have paid a lot for your coverage, it's only fair that the young and healthy, who need less coverage, start paying more as well, for coverage they didn't want or need? So much for freedom.

KSL
KSL 02/02/14 - 01:25 am

Corgi doesn't know jack about

Corgi doesn't know jack about paying a lot for health insurance.

carcraft
20672
carcraft 02/02/14 - 12:46 pm

Where to start? Let's begain

Where to start? Let's begain with health care premiums. The average premium under Obama care goes up 41%. You state "my husband and I have been several hundred dollars a month". Well many of the people in the video had their insurance premiums INCREASE several hundred per month. One person went up $260.00/ month to a premium of $495.00/ month. The owner had an increase of $584.00/ month. Some emloyees had co-pays double! Now according to an interview with Mark Bertolini, CEO of Etnea, he says premiums may double to cover the increased costs of Obama care. That means these peoples health insurance may increase yet again by hundreds of dollars/ month. Lookk at the California couple, Lee Hammack and his wife JoEllen Brothers had their insurance more than double to $1,300.00/ month. They may have another increase soon.
Then you talk about being poor when your son was born. So it is perfectly OK and is sound policy to further burden young families with health care premiums that may put their budgets ovrr the edge because you were poor when you started out? Sounds like liberal logic to me.
Now as to my children, one step child has a masters in Nurse Anesthesia, anesthesia and does quit we'll, that individual is doing Ok heavy student loans but OK. Other step child has a BS in Engineering from Tech and their spouse is a Tech grad in Engineering as well. They both work for Georgia power. One of my children has a Masters in education and is doing well their spouse is working on a Bachalors in education and they are doing OK. Another child is UGA grad and Warren Officer II in the army and their spouse also has a masters in education and they are doing well. Our other child is getting married and works for Dish net work. So since my kids are OK don't bother burdening yourself!
I am happy you are out of poverty, aren't you glad your health insurance didn't go up hundreds of dollars / month in the middle of it, and if you couldn't pay the premiums you get fined?

KSL
KSL 02/02/14 - 05:55 pm

Carcraft

I totally understand what you are saying.

Corgi has proclaimed she is on Medicare. But she has also suggested her age appriximately in former posts. So we can infer from there. Perhaps her and her husband's insurance might not have been so adequate if she had had to go it totally alone, like my husband and I have had to do since 1977.

Being in business for ourselves was our choice. Being totally responsible for ourselves and the pursuit of happiness was our choice, as well.

KSL
KSL 02/02/14 - 06:05 pm

Carcraft

I totally understand what you are saying.

KSL
KSL 02/02/14 - 06:15 pm

Gee corgi, you may live close

Gee corgi, you may live close to my son. It surely seems like 13 miles into Charlotte. He lives near South Park Mall. I love that area.. The Harris Teeter flagship store. Dean and Delucca. We have watched it grow into a second city. Both of my boys lived there starting in 94. Only one and his wife still live there. We love it.

KSL
KSL 02/02/14 - 06:25 pm

Yep, we paid our own

Yep, we paid our own insurance without complaint and some jerk who just does not like me, my attitude, or comment gives me a tsd.

The AC needs to change its policy about the whole point system. It won't happen as long as it proves hits to advertisers, if that is what it is doing.

carcraft
20672
carcraft 02/02/14 - 06:36 pm

KSL I just don't understand

KSL I just don't understand people who think this is working! The left has complained about the insurance companies and this was sold because the EVIL insurance companies were making to much money etc. The truth is the insurance can't lose in this they are under written by the tax payer!

corgimom
19271
corgimom 02/02/14 - 06:59 pm

Carcraft. ours went up $200

Carcraft. ours went up $200 per month too. So what's your point? The difference with us is that we've been socked hard with increases for the past several years, we knew it was going to happen again, so we planned for it.

As for that owner, I suspect that he was paying little, if anything in the past, because he was the owner. Either that, or he has a Cadillac plan, better than the employees. You notice he never said what he paid in the past.

corgimom
19271
corgimom 02/02/14 - 07:01 pm

KSL, Medicare is secondary

KSL, Medicare is secondary for me, not primary. With the exception of the year that I had surgery, I have always paid more into Medicare than Medicare paid out in my claims, so I have actually lost money by being on Medicare. Not having it wouldn't have made any difference to me.

carcraft
20672
carcraft 02/02/14 - 07:39 pm

Well as I tried to explain

Well as I tried to explain Corgimom in my quote from the CEO of Etnea, premiums may double AGAIN before this is over . My other point is that your premiums haven't yet gone over a $1000.00/month like the couple in California, but if you are in the $600 to $700/ month like the owner of the business you may get there! So your premiums have gone up faster that mine or the people I work with means everybody's have to go up? Did you consider changing policies or changing deductibles and copays? I mean my insurance went up but not by $200/ month. The other issue is that there were increases in 2010 related to changes in health insurance such as no pre existing conditions and covering kids until 26.

KSL
KSL 02/02/14 - 07:51 pm

Excuse me, but where was the

Excuse me, but where was the need for Medicare? I know there are special conditions Medicare took on for pre-65 year olds.

You don't have to answer. It really is none of our business. But, knowing how Medicare works, I wonder.