Letter: Blocker-Adams will lead

Augusta Commissioner Marion Williams has said he believes former City Administrator Fred Russell has two chances for the mayor’s seat – slim and none. I think those are the same two chances the vast majority of white voters give the black mayoral candidates. Therefore, the belief of Williams is irrelevant as to whether Russell will be elected mayor.

Mr. Russell’s electability hinges on two important questions. First, is Augusta ready for a black mayor and a black sheriff? Second, is Augusta ready for a black female mayor? White Augusta voters must feel comfortable with those ideas. Also, they must be willing to base their voting decisions on the content of character and not the color of the candidates’ skin or gender.

If the voters are ready and willing in 2014, Helen Blocker-Adams, not Russell, will be the next mayor of Augusta.

Kevin Palmer

Martinez

deestafford
deestafford 01/28/14 - 12:09 am
I think HBA would make a great mayor...

I think HBA would make a great mayor as evident in what she has done and shown as her philosophy through her writings. However, was there not some filing deadline she missed a little while ago?

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 01/28/14 - 05:46 am
@deestafford: missed filing

@deestafford: missed filing deadline

In a word: Yes!

myfather15
myfather15 01/28/14 - 06:46 am
Why are people still hung up

Why are people still hung up on the skin color of the individual? What about the content of their character?

I believe (I suppose I could be mistaken) that Augusta is ready for a black Sheriff, since they voted him in!! I believe the Country is ready for a black President, since they voted for him!! Why are we still making a big deal out of skin color? This is ridiculous!!

Also, why are people still concern about gender? There will always be SOME people who aren't comfortable with a woman or a person who isn't their race!! You will NEVER completely eliminate racism from every individual in America!! But the overwhelming majority, left racism and sexism a long time ago!! I hear many republicans talking about women and black people as honorable candidates for ALL political positions. Allen West, Herman Cain, J.C. Watts, Dr. Ben Carson, Mia Love and many more!!

This distracts from the REAL issue, which is character and personal beliefs!! I personally believe and HOPE that Mia Love continues her political career and runs for the Presidency one day!! Her beliefs are honorable, she is young, vibrant and could bring great energy to right wing politics!! Even at her age, I would vote for her before Hillary Clinton ANY DAY!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/28/14 - 08:20 am
I think you are wrong

I see a black man getting this job....

hmmmm, interesting posts.

harley_52
harley_52 01/28/14 - 09:55 am
Augusta Already Had...

....a black mayor, though not a female. Unfortunately, he was a crook and ended up in the slammer.

I agree with myfather15. Why do people keep questioning whether white people "are ready" to elect a black candidate for any office? It should be quite clear, by now, that race is no longer a factor for most white people.

triscuit
triscuit 01/28/14 - 09:32 am
I am a white person, and I'm

I am a white person, and I'm wondering why automatically it's assumed I will vote for the "white" candidate...esp. if it's Fred Russell. I will vote for who I think will be the best out of the field. But it won't be Fred.

teaparty
teaparty 01/28/14 - 10:21 am
"It should be quite clear, by

"It should be quite clear, by now, that race is no longer a factor for most white people."
harley, you are correct but not so with black folks. They have had racism shoved down their throats by the democrats and black leaders including the idiot in the whitehouse. When black folks get a management job 90% of them hire nothing but black folks.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 01/28/14 - 11:24 am
I think

ray nagin (sic) would be an excellent choice. Detroit's ex-mayor is presently "tied up".

david jennings
david jennings 01/28/14 - 04:43 pm
author is one that

Palmer is the one not ready, I'm white and would gladly vote for Helen, just hope I don't find she knows Palmer or supports his views.

mll
mll 01/28/14 - 07:07 pm
Helen Blocker-Adams

is the person that I am voting for. She did not miss a filing date, just did not file electronically so the Secretary of State has to process her papers & they are behind. Blocker-Adams has been a leading proponent of our area's strong points while completely understanding our shortfalls. But, as Blocker-Adams always does she will look for solutions & in my opinion will find them & strive to improve our community. Blocker-Adams is a "doer" , she's a team player when necessary & a strong leader who owes no group or individual any favors. Blocker-Adams sees no color differences, she will work as hard for white constituents as well as black. My only regret is that the Mayor's office has very little power. But even knowing that, Blocker-Adams will be able to combat that situation with her strong & vibrant personality. I have no doubt she would be a remarkable presence in Augusta to attract new business to our area & would be instrumental in presenting a favorable impression of Augusta to all. By the way, I am white.

teaparty
teaparty 01/28/14 - 07:41 pm
" By the way, I am

" By the way, I am white."
That statement should not matter

mll
mll 01/28/14 - 08:05 pm
teaparty

That statement to me does NOT matter, but for some folks it does so that's why I included it. Theoretically, we should be at a point that it has no importance either way but realistically it does. For anyone to deny race does matter to quite a few people would be unrealistic & supremely naive. Until the time comes that white people can acknowledge that a young black child will assume that Jesus & Santa Claus are black because they identify the ones they cannot see are like them & the black people can accept they are not obligated to vote for the black person because they feel guilty if they don't, we will have those that think in terms of color. But I believe that it's okay to have those distinctions-each should be proud of their race, proud of their differences, proud of their heritage, proud of what their race excels in over others but mindful we all have contributed to the world we live in & quit judging people on the color of their skin. I'm not sure that will ever happen but I feel confident that it will improve & that people will learn from repeating the errors of many generations.

teaparty
teaparty 01/28/14 - 08:09 pm
"That statement to me does

"That statement to me does NOT matter, but for some folks it does so that's why I included it."
I agree but how do we fix it?

mll
mll 01/28/14 - 08:48 pm
teaparty

I don't know any one person or group can fix it. I am a Conservative, an Ayn Rand capitalist. I believe that for instance when the black race intellectually realize that the Democrats have purposely & successfully held back the black race in order to gain power & control they will understand & shake off their previous ideas & prosper beyond what they can imagine. The black race has been victimized but not by the white race for the most part, but victimized by their own leaders such as Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, etc. Those leaders & I loosely call them leaders have convinced the black race that they are inferior & that they NEED special considerations. The black race as a whole have many superior talents & are intellectual equals to all other races. But they have been convinced by white & black liberals that they are not. I'm afraid until the black people realize they've been sold a bill of goods they will not turn this around. If every black person could sit down & really listen to a conservative & understand that the Republicans & the conservatives are for equality for all economically & otherwise they would be amazed. There are slough-offs in every race but the majority of blacks just need an opportunity to succeed & have to understand that opportunity doesn't get handed to them they have to work for it just like everyone else. But I think that some are so convinced that they can't do it, they've been told for generations that they can't, they believe it. It's a vicious circle -if you have been told for so long that you can't succeed, you start believing it. I see glimmers of possibility but I don't have much hope until the black race can shake off their loyalty to the Democrat party & the liberals that are holding them back.