Letter: Judge ruled wrongly on IDs

I have to present a picture ID when I shop, when I take an airplane flight, when I pick up my grandchild at school and on other occasions. It is not an imposition of my civil rights.

Shame on the Pennsylvania judge who ruled that voters will not be required to prove they are qualified to cast a ballot.

Sarah McKibben

North Augusta, S.C.

deestafford
deestafford 01/21/14 - 12:55 am
If I were a black person and someone...

If I were a black person and someone said I was too incompetent, too ignorant, and too lazy to go get a free ID card I'd want to seriously consider their motives...Maybe they were not really concerned about me, but only what I could do for them---like vote for them. Of course, it maybe that I may be some of those things because I tend to vote for them 98% of the time.

specsta
specsta 01/21/14 - 04:02 am
The Trickery Must Stop

Sarah McKibben wrote - "It is not an imposition of my civil rights."

But what about other folk's civil rights? Don't they have a right to vote in a way that is simple, equally available, and unrestricted?

Before the Voting Rights Act, I'm quite sure that folks who had money or could read said that poll taxes and literacy tests weren't "an imposition of their civil rights".

Voting should be the simplest action that Americans can do in regards to their government. If even one citizen is disenfranchised from voting due to some "requirement", we should hang our heads in shame.

GACopprhed
GACopprhed 01/21/14 - 04:32 am
All of the Republican led

All of the Republican led initiatives to supposedly protect us from voter "fraud" are nothing but blatantly obvious attempts to disenfranchise voters who would vote Democrat. It's the same as gerrymandering, and it really shows how desperate Republicans are to hold onto power. They see the light at the end of the tunnel, and they know it's an oncoming train...full of Democrats.

carcraft
carcraft 01/21/14 - 06:39 am
DON't people have a right to

DON't people have a right to firearms, a right actually delineate in the constitution, but try buying a weapon with out a picture ID. Now the right to vote is not found in the constitution. Oh wait, I'm sorry, Liberals don't like guns so increasing impediments to that right is OK! It is simply called hypocrisy which doesn't bother liberals, neither does a lack of clear logical thinking!

GACopprhed
GACopprhed 01/21/14 - 06:45 am
Now that's funny,

Now that's funny, carcraft...statistics show the problems with guns, yet voter fraud is a figment of conservatives' imagination. Your statements hold absolutely no water.

carcraft
carcraft 01/21/14 - 07:07 am
If hundreds vote illegally

If hundreds vote illegally and nullify honest citizen's votes we ought to hang our head in shame!

GACopprhed
GACopprhed 01/21/14 - 07:23 am
Carcraft

I, honestly have to agree with you. Here's why: http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/06/21/shocker-republicans-account-for-...

GACopprhed
GACopprhed 01/21/14 - 07:54 am
Here's why you have to

Here's why you have to present ID to buy a gun: http://www.nbcnews.com/health/guns-home-raise-suicide-homicide-risk-revi...
Here's the truth about "voter fraud": http://www.factcheck.org/2013/01/voting-conspiracies/

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 01/21/14 - 08:08 am
How can you say it is a

How can you say it is a violation of your rights to be required to show ID to vote (which isn't in the Constitution) but NOT a violation to be requiered to show an ID to purchase a firearm (which IS in the Constitution)? Are minorities being denied their 2nd amendment rights? Where's the outrage?

If even one citizen is denied the right to defned themself due to some "requirement", we should hang our heads in shame. Right, Specta?

GACopprhed
GACopprhed 01/21/14 - 08:40 am
From deestafford's first

duplicate

GACopprhed
GACopprhed 01/21/14 - 08:40 am
From deestafford's first

From deestafford's first line,(which is all I can read)"If I were a black person" I'll finish it for you: I'd definitely feel this letter to the editor is totally wrong.

GACopprhed
GACopprhed 01/21/14 - 08:42 am
carcraft, if guns are so

carcraft, if guns are so great, why is it that Congress restricts funding for studies on gun deaths?

corgimom
corgimom 01/21/14 - 10:30 am
It is not a civil right to

It is not a civil right to shop, take an airplane flight, or pick up a grandchild from school, and it is ludicrous to compare that to the Constitutional right to vote.

But that doesn't stop some people.

A picture ID means nothing, I could get a fake one for $50.

teaparty
teaparty 01/21/14 - 10:31 am
A photo voter ID is unfair.

A photo voter ID is unfair. That would mean the democrats can only vote one time, unfair.

teaparty
teaparty 01/21/14 - 10:35 am
"If even one citizen is

"If even one citizen is disenfranchised from voting due to some "requirement", we should hang our heads in shame."
It is humorous how many folks use the term "disenfranchised" since the race baiter Jesse Jackson use it several years ago.

teaparty
teaparty 01/21/14 - 10:38 am
" A picture ID means nothing,

" A picture ID means nothing, I could get a fake one for $50."
maybe so but a very large % of democrats are too lazy to go too that much trouble.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 01/21/14 - 10:47 am
Corgi...is it a civil right

Corgi...is it a civil right to bear arms?

Dixieman
Dixieman 01/21/14 - 11:11 am
Wait a second

I am a registered voter and have ID. If an ineligible voter without a valid ID is allowed to vote, that disenfranchises ME by nullifying and cancelling out my vote. Common sense. And there is lots of voter fraud out there. Requiring IDs is a sensible measure and when laws like this pass there are always provisions to assist the poor in obtaining valid IDs.

GACopprhed
GACopprhed 01/21/14 - 11:28 am
Yup, dixieman, but who is it

Yup, dixieman, but who is it committing voter fraud? Look at my earlier post and respond. The fact that any is caught PROVES that the system works, and there is no legitimate need to amend the requirements, except for Republicans, then it's needed to prevent fraud on their part.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 01/21/14 - 11:37 am
" A picture ID means nothing,

" A picture ID means nothing, I could get a fake one for $50."

Well there goes your argument that they are too poor or ignorant to get a real one for free.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 01/21/14 - 11:38 am
Are there no liberals willing

Are there no liberals willing to tackle the question as to why they are against requiring ID to vote (not in the constitution), but have no problem requiring ID to get a firearm (in the constitution)?

allhans
allhans 01/21/14 - 11:43 am
I have yet to hear a valid

I have yet to hear a valid objection to the requirement for a photo ID. The states have offered free transportation, a no-cost ID and anything they could to help those who couldn't otherwise obtain one.
rides, free I.D.
Find me a person eligible to vote who doesn't have a valid ID, just one will do..
Look what a person has to go through just to get a drivers license - married women to show a marriage certificate- are we to say that we are being denied our right to drive a car?

Joe Biden was using the voter ID at a MLK function yesterday...still pandering to the black vote, indicating that he sees them as a helpless lot, a block, one and aLL.

faithson
faithson 01/21/14 - 12:00 pm
there is lots of voter fraud out there.

a good case for those who look to 'news' sources to hear what they WANT to hear... there is NO discernible voter fraud in America, NONE. say what you might, but it has been proven by statements made by those who have implemented this new rule that it's intent is to diminish voting among a certain voting population. Live with it people, quit making arguments that have no bearing to the ACTUAL FACTS used in its implementation. FACT: voter ID makes it harder for some in the population to VOTE, period. I can live with honesty, it is the hypocrisy that galls me.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/21/14 - 11:51 am
I can't figure out why

I can't figure out why Democrats fight so hard against protections from voter fraud. It is pure bunk to suggest it will prevent even ONE eligible voter from voting when the states have bent over backwards to ensure an I.D. is easily available to anyone wishing to get one.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 01/21/14 - 12:02 pm
" there is NO discernible

" there is NO discernible voter fraud in America, NONE. "

Never let facts get in the way of rhetoric.

There is NO discernible case of someone being killed with a bayonett, yet Clinton had them outlawed.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 01/21/14 - 12:05 pm
Faithson.... FACT: Requiring

Faithson.... FACT: Requiring ID to buy a firearm makes it harder for some in the population to defend themself, period. Seems you are OK with this hypocrisy.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 01/21/14 - 12:11 pm
You need a Picture ID to

Open a bank account.
Cash a Check,
Buy alcohol
Buy prescription drugs
Buy Tobacco products
Get SNAP (Food Stamps)
Get Government Housing
Get Financial Assistance
Get a Loan
Buy A Car
Buy Lottery Tickets
It doesn't seem like a problem to get one for voting!!

carcraft
carcraft 01/21/14 - 12:17 pm
Corgimom you did not touch

Corgimom you did not touch the right to own weapons which require an ID AND background check!

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 01/21/14 - 12:21 pm
Carcraft....he/she won't

Carcraft....he/she won't touch it either, because it is pure hypocrisy.

john
john 01/21/14 - 12:23 pm
faithson

how does it make it harder to vote? Thats an illogical position. What are your facts as you proclaim it to be?