Men would be fine mayors

The Augusta mayoral election is several months away. I’m not voting for candidates who are political pimps, arrogant political bullies and buffoons and who exhibit negative behaviors.

Also, I’m not voting for candidates who I think are interested only in marketing their local celebrity brand to enhance their personal financial gains and popular recognition.

For the first time, I will write in a name on the mayoral ballot for a candidate I think would sincerely serve our community in a meaningful and stellar manner. As of now, I will write the names of either Cedric Johnson or Willie Mays on my ballot.

These are two respectable gentlemen who are worthy, astute, creditable, intelligent and articulate enough to serve as Augusta’s next mayor.

Mr. Johnson is someone I have great admiration for, and whom I consider to be a “mailman,” because he does deliver. He serves as director of community affairs for Georgia Regents University. Also, he has spent many years of service in the banking industry, is chairman for the Augusta Avia­tion Commission and is chairman of the Augusta-Richmond County Coliseum Authority.

Mr. Mays is a local businessman who has a stellar history of community statesmanship. He’s a former Augusta commissioner. Also, he served as interim mayor for the city of Augusta for a short period of time. He would be a competent and successful public statesman who would move the Garden City to the next level for international recognition.

Many Augustans might say my write-in vote would be a waste, but these individuals can talk to the hand, because it’s my prerogative to do what I want. To borrow a phrase from the late and great Frank Sinatra, I’m going to do it my way.

E. Maner

Augusta

Bulldog
Bulldog 01/20/14 - 08:40 am
Well Said!

I've often thought that all ballots should include a choice for "none of the above".

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/20/14 - 11:40 am
Write-in

The Georgia election laws allow people to write in any name for any election. But those same laws specify that the only write-in ballots that will be counted are those write-ins for a certified write-in candidate. At this date, neither Cedric Johnson nor Willie Mays has visited the elections office on Greene St. to fill out the paperwork to become a write-in candidate.

Continue to watch the newspaper and other news reports to find out whether someone establishes a bone fide write-in candidacy.

dichotomy
dichotomy 01/20/14 - 02:17 pm
"none of the above" Yeh, that

"none of the above"

Yeh, that is pretty much how I feel about the field of declared mayoral candidates so far. If no new candidates come forward, the only reason to go vote is to vote against the one you don't want the most.

soapy_725
soapy_725 01/20/14 - 06:19 pm
It is not who votes, but who counts the votes--Josef Stalin

It is not who votes, but who counts the votes--Josef Stalin

soapy_725
soapy_725 01/20/14 - 06:19 pm
At least in ARC, everyone is not an incumbent as with CC.

At least in ARC, everyone is not an incumbent as with CC.

soapy_725
soapy_725 01/20/14 - 06:20 pm
Every voters in CC could abstain, the results would be the same.

Every voters in CC could abstain, the results would be the same.

soapy_725
soapy_725 01/20/14 - 06:22 pm
CC, all incumbents win, all taxes pass, all rezonings pass, all

construction variances pass, WHY VOTE???

soapy_725
soapy_725 01/20/14 - 06:24 pm
How have individual votes changed the course of America in 50yrs

How have individual votes changed the course of America in 50yrs

soapy_725
soapy_725 01/20/14 - 06:25 pm
Obama has only moved us faster along " the course"

Obama has only moved us faster along " the course"

soapy_725
soapy_725 01/20/14 - 06:31 pm
POTUS's, Marxist,Fascist,Womanizer,Fascist,Fascist, Marxist...

POTUS's, Marxist, Fascist, Womanizer, Fascist, Fascist, Marxist...

soapy_725