Seniors feel Medicare cuts

In our U.S. government, both the Senate and House of Representatives made and passed reductions of quite a few benefits that were covered in Medicare. Instead of grandfathering those presently on Medicare and making the changes on new members, they cut across the board.

Case in point: I have sleep apnea, and my cost per year was less than $500. Medicare dropped all coverage for sleep apnea, and a high number of people in the Medicare program have sleep apnea. To my knowledge there were no letters or any highlights to notify us of what changes have taken effect unless you read the big book on Medicare coverage.

I personally called the offices of U.S. Rep. John Barrow and other congressional members, but received no feedback. Apparently we the people are not important. Our country needs major changes – mainly, changing better than 50 percent of our current government at all levels locally and nationally. Also, it would be great for the newspaper to print what the bad governmental decisions are that have been made vs. any good ones.

The older folks of this country are being stepped on with no respect to what they have worked for and paid taxes for. But we have kept these people in office, and we keep the same people who have government jobs as a career path and keep serving up more of the same – running for new positions and carrying out the same bad results.

It would be nice to see The Augusta Chronicle take on the Medicare question in an upcoming Sunday newspaper.

George Blackburn Sr.

Martinez

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/10/14 - 02:33 pm
Twenty Percent

dahreese posted:

As long as the financial bottom twenty percent of this country continue to defend the financial top one percent who control this nation's economy and its politics (and are the cause of its current financial meltdown), public assistance programs will continue to be cut.

Yes, the financial bottom twenty percent continue to defend the Democrat party and the Obama administration, both of which are filled with financial top one percent persons. And, yes, public assistance programs will continue to be cut. How, you ask? By the near zero interest rate policies of the Federal Reserve Bank and by the current and future price inflation generated by bond purchases by the Fed.

allhans
allhans 01/10/14 - 02:44 pm
I don't think the "shrinking

I don't think the "shrinking do-nut hole" is our number one priority right now.
If I can pay $2500 out of pocket, I can pay $3500 (or whatever the amount is).

dahreese
dahreese 01/10/14 - 03:48 pm
"Dahreese, I don't get it. I

"Dahreese, I don't get it. I said nothing about race. You're right the bottom 20% has many whites, too. But I am right that they pay nothing in taxes."

Of course, you're right, they pay little or nothing in taxes. But do they, as the poor blacks I mentioned above (and I only used race as an illustration of conservative biases - members of my family being biased as well) because of no jobs or low paying jobs to pay taxes with.

And the low income Americans of today - you want me to feel compassion for corporations as "people?"

Those 'people/corporations' are squeezing the financial death out of this country and yet YOU want to defend them?

I don't think sooooooooooooo...

"They are taken care of. If you really want to help them, instill in them a competitive desire and don't provide handouts."

"Handouts."

Do you realize that the Wall Street bail out was to bail out the top one percent - most of whom would have vanished if their government had not given them a 'handout.'

I wonder how many people/corporations are willing to give up their handouts?

Those Wall Street protestors were/are the people who are wise to the Wall Street/Corporate/Congress 'game.'
-----------------------------------
The Indians are another topic we might do at another time.

dahreese
dahreese 01/10/14 - 03:50 pm
Dear Heart, nobody needs or

Dear Heart, nobody needs or wants your 'pity.'

Save it for yourself.

bob0142
bob0142 01/10/14 - 04:25 pm
That is funny dahreese, you

That is funny dahreese, you say you only mention race to point to conservative bias yet you are the only one bringing up race. And then you call us ignorant. Are you guys ever going to be reasonable or do you plan to fight some kind of war with white people the rest of your life?

KSL
KSL 01/10/14 - 05:32 pm
Dahreese, you are misinformed

teaparty
teaparty 01/10/14 - 05:41 pm
" Are you guys ever going to

" Are you guys ever going to be reasonable or do you plan to fight some kind of war with white people the rest of your life?"
bob0142, It is going to last a very long time. I'm afraid so many black people's minds have been poison by liberals/progressives/democrats and black leaders. Obama is a great example, his mind was poison by his mentor 'Frank' Marshall Davis.

harley_52
harley_52 01/10/14 - 05:49 pm
Corporations ARE People...

...Corporate taxes are money taken out of peoples' pockets by the government. They take even more out of those same peoples' pockets when they tax corporate earnings a second time as capital gains.

Liberals either....(pick one)...don't understand it, or .....choose to lie about it.

dahreese
dahreese 01/10/14 - 06:02 pm
"That is funny dahreese, you

"That is funny dahreese, you say you only mention race to point to conservative bias yet you are the only one bringing up race."

It was/is very clear in my use of race to make the point of the ignorance of those who disparage the poor by saying 'they don't pay any taxes.'

"They don't pay any taxes" is simply a dodge by those who feel no responsibility for the poor.

If you missed that point in my post in which I first brought forth that idea, that's your problem, not mine.

If you want to argue race, you'll have to do it with somebody else.

dahreese
dahreese 01/10/14 - 06:11 pm
"Dahreese, you are

"Dahreese, you are misinformed about who owns the stocks on Wall Steet. My mother is not a 1%er, nor am I."

I never mentioned at all 'who' owns the stocks on Wall Street.

Sadly, a lot of people lost their shirts/retirements with the Wall Street collapses, in particular those who "own a little stock."

Thus, we are not talking about your mother's nor your Wall Street stocks.

Own as you may, if there are certain questions you would like for corporate CEO's (who work for you) to answer, and they don't want to answer (even though it's your stock), you aren't going to get an answer.

That happened recently to some AT&T stock holders.

dahreese
dahreese 01/10/14 - 06:14 pm
"I'm afraid so many black

"I'm afraid so many black people's minds have been poison by liberals/progressives/democrats and black leaders."

Your post is kinda laughable seeing as how mainstream Republicans are fed-up with the Teaparty.

harley_52
harley_52 01/10/14 - 06:20 pm
"Your post is kinda laughable....

...seeing as how mainstream Republicans are fed-up with the Teaparty."

Define "mainstream Republican" and define the "Teaparty."

Please. I'd like to know for sure what you're claiming.

dahreese
dahreese 01/10/14 - 06:36 pm
"Corporate Tax "loopholes"

"Corporate Tax "loopholes" aren't created by corporations, they're created by government, usually as incentives to encourage corporations to behave the way the government wants."

The taxpayer wants and deserves to have an honest government.

Unfortunately, that same taxpayer doesn't want to pay for it.

Most loopholes in tax laws are there because members of Congress call in the "experts" from the very corporations they claim to want to regulate and as those corporations to write the tax laws.

A tax lawyer who wants to feed his family will work for a corporation rather than the government because the corporation will pay him a better salary.

And why will the corporation pay him a better salary?

Because the taxpayer has been brainwashed by corporations and the corporate media to think he's paying too much in taxes already.

The laws and regulations over the past fifteen years under GWB and Obama regarding healthcare have been crafted by the health industries to assure they will lose nothing no matter what is passed or not passed.

How quickly (but not surprising) most if not all of you, have forgotten the whistle blowing of Wendell Potter.
---------------------------------------------
But when you let the conservative news media lead you around by the nose day in an day out from one little brush fire to another and you don't keep up with the bigger picture....liberals can sincerely question just who "understands it."

dahreese
dahreese 01/10/14 - 06:41 pm
You define them, Harley. I’m

You define them, Harley. I’m not a Republican.

I just read the news.

KSL
KSL 01/10/14 - 06:51 pm
Whose news?

Whose news?

harley_52
harley_52 01/10/14 - 07:05 pm
"I just read the news."

You mean the DNC talking points, right?

You used the terms. If you can't define your own terms perhaps you shouldn't use them.

harley_52
harley_52 01/10/14 - 07:11 pm
Loopholes And Taxes....

I really have no idea what you said and, not surprisingly, I doubt you do either.

If your point is that Obamacare was written by lobbyists and signed by democrat politicians, I agree. I've made that same point often.

You were whining about corporate taxes, so I helped explain it to you. I'm still not sure you understand it.

Do corporate lawyers seek higher salaries? I assume they do, just like everybody else I know. Did you seek pay cuts every year? Did you take advantage of legal tax deductions when(if) you filed your Income Taxes?

I'm really not sure either one of us understands what you're whining about.

KSL
KSL 01/10/14 - 07:16 pm
Harley

Good questions.

dahreese
dahreese 01/10/14 - 08:25 pm
The point IS Harley, that

The point IS Harley, that taxpayers like YOU whine that government can’t do anything right, not even write health laws for the benefit of the American people – YOU included.

My point is, are taxpayers, like YOU, willing to dig down into your pockets deep enough to pay “government lawyers” who could write such laws for the benefit of the American people – including YOU?

I’d bet, NOT....

And I’ll bet you either did not check out the name of Wendell Potter who blew the whistle on the healthcare industry.

You can’t get into the real issues for being so brainwashed that all you can see is “Obama.”

Republican Civil War Erupts: Business Groups v. Tea Party ...
www.bloomberg.com/.../republican-civil-war-erupts-business-groups-v-t...‎

SemperParatus
SemperParatus 01/10/14 - 08:53 pm
To Mr George Blackburn, Sr.,

To Mr George Blackburn, Sr., original writer of this letter to the editor. I receive "original" Medicare and pay the 20% co-pay out of pocket. I, too, am a sleep apnea patient. I can assure you in no uncertain terms that Medicare Part B pays for CPAP equipment and supplies! My gut feeling is that the company that you have been doing business with in the past is no longer an approved Medicare provider. You can go to Medicare's national website and pull up a directory of approved CPAP equipment suppliers - both local businesses and mail order. I will tell you that I use American Home Patient in Evans as my provider. They are in the phone book. They have been a Medicare provider for many years and were recently re-certified by Medicare. You have been given some very bad information. I can't explain why the politicians haven't been able to assist you but take it from me, a CPAP patient for eight years, I have the best equipment and supplies (nothing generic) which I receive from American Home Patient and they are very much an approved Medicare CPAP equipment provider. I would urge you to relax this weekend and know that you have a solution come Monday morning.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/10/14 - 08:53 pm
Why Oh Why

do you all get into a debate with dahreese!!

The only thing you all should do is let him spit the words and just shake your heads. Common Sense is lacking so much in his mind that no words can define it.

bob0142
bob0142 01/10/14 - 09:11 pm
I am coming to that

I am coming to that conclusion also cobalt, several in here has tried to reason with them but are getting nothing but little jabs in return. I give up, have it your way dahreese but nothing is going to get better that way, most likely they will continue to deteriorate.

KSL
KSL 01/10/14 - 09:34 pm
Reasoning with Tim has made

Reasoning with Tim has made progress.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/10/14 - 09:39 pm
Tim

is a whole different world of wax compared to this dah.

KSL
KSL 01/10/14 - 09:56 pm
Of course dahreese talks

Of course dahreese talks about the streets of Atlanta. Don't know his time frame, but we have walked through low income housing, having parked the car there for a Braves game. We were addressed by a young black woman, sitting on her front porch. Riots had been occurring. She looked at us and said, "Are you scared?" My fiance said back to her, "Good evening. How are you?" She said she was fine. We walked on.

It was the first time I had ever experienced something like hatred from soneone because of my race. And it was the last time, except for possible TSD'ers. But how important are they?

dahreese
dahreese 01/11/14 - 10:22 am
"Of course dahreese talks

"Of course dahreese talks about the streets of Atlanta."

Dahreese has only talked of the streets of Atlanta to say that he grew up on them.

He only used 'race' to point out the fact that the poor have always been put down and considered unworthy of adequate facilities (like schools) because 'They don't pay taxes.'

And that that kind of conservative mentality still exists today - as evidenced by conservative comments and commenters easily found on here.

God only knows (and God or some of you can do the counting if you want) how many times commenters on here have put down the lower twenty percent of this nation and those needing public assistance because 'They don't pay any taxes.'
--------------------------------------
In 1969 the median salary for a male worker was $35,567 (in 2012 dollars). Today it is $33,904. So for 44 years, while wages for the top 10 percent have continued to climb, most Americans have been caught in a "Great Stagnation," bringing into question the whole purpose of the American capitalist economy.

The notion that what benefits the establishment benefits everyone has been thoroughly discredited.

You aren't doing too well, either.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 01/11/14 - 10:38 am
The race card

The race card STILL....pathetic. Whether you want it or not, you still have my pity, Dahrees. You seem to have nothing else.....Certainly not intelligent, logical, factual arguments.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 01/11/14 - 10:40 am
"You folks looking down your

"You folks looking down your noses at the twenty percent who pay no taxes need not look too hard.

You aren't doing too well, either."

But they ARE pulling their own weight, and not leeching off the forced charity of others. Let me guess...that was a racist comment?

dahreese
dahreese 01/11/14 - 12:42 pm
If I have your pity, I still

If I have your pity, I still don't have anything.

Nor do I need the attention you seem to need

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 01/13/14 - 05:04 pm
Dahreese...that statement

Dahreese...that statement really says a great deal. For starters, whether or not I had your pity, I still have great wealth; spiritually, monetarily, and bodily. To say you still don't have anything is quite sad. It does, however sort of explain your extreme wealth envy, but you are allowed to WORK HARD and better yourself. As for needing attention. You know NOTHING about me other than I post on this site....just as YOU do, which means you would seem to need the same amount of attention.

Vietnam veteran writes book on 319th Transportation Co.

"Vietnam Convoy Trucker" recounts the fear, boredom and humor faced while delivering supplies to American troops battling the North Vietnamese Army and Viet Cong.