After carols, what's next?

I believe that when President Obama first ran for president, he said his mission was to fundamentally change America. The latest fiasco at the Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center – of not allowing teenagers to sing Silent Night or Joy to the World – is a prime example of how well this administration is accomplishing that goal.

Christmas was declared a federal holiday in 1870 by President Grant. It was, and is still, called “Christmas,” not “Holiday.” Christmas carols are a part of Christmas, which is the celebration of Christ’s Mass.

I suppose that next the VA center will ban the Pledge of Allegiance since it still has the words “under God” in it.

Chris Johnson

North Augusta, S.C.

corgimom
corgimom 01/03/14 - 12:10 am
Again- they WERE allowed to

Again- they WERE allowed to sing carols, just not in the public meeting area.

Too bad all the outraged people don't take the time to realize that the Alleluia choir refused to sing in a meeting room or a chapel.

And that's the real story- why wouldn't they?

corgimom
corgimom 01/03/14 - 12:13 am
But I will also say that I

But I will also say that I have been in many military hospitals over my lifetime, and never once did I see anybody saying the Pledge of Allegiance in the hospital.

I've never seen anybody say it in a civilian hospital, either.

I can't imagine why anybody would, either.

deestafford
deestafford 01/03/14 - 07:34 am
Yes, they could have sang...

Yes, they could have sang in a chapel or another room but there are many patriots there who are bed ridden and would not have had the uplifting experience of hearing the singing.

This is was another example of eliminating God from the public square and even though it is in keeping with the Obama's desires I believe it was a decision made by the local administrator. I have never heard of any veterans complaining about choirs before.

By the way, in numerous firefights I've been in I have heard much praying and not once did I hear anyone say, "Please stop praying. You are offending me."

robert2410
robert2410 01/03/14 - 07:35 am
Who knows what is next from

Who knows what is next from the dumb liberals. They are the ones who want a McDonalds happy meal banned and marijuana legal, Christians persecuted, illegal immigrants pardoned, and health care stolen from honest working people and given to freeloaders and drug addicts. People like that are likely to do anything.

david jennings
david jennings 01/03/14 - 09:23 am
One nation under Law

In a way I see liberals as Pharisees, as with Jesus' ministry the Pharisees (a strict sect or perversion of Biblical Jewish faith) constantly kept a watchful eye looking for anything they could charge Him with as contrary to thier interpretation of the law, i.e., healing on the Sabbath. They saw it as wrong for Jesus to bless a man with healing his hand on Shabbat, but, thought it fine for them to do Jesus harm for the act the same day.

soapy_725
soapy_725 01/03/14 - 12:02 pm
The Christian Republican Party is the modern Pharisee Sect.

White outside, dead bones inside. Using God's name and house to steal money from the devout worshipers..

paulbaughman28
paulbaughman28 01/03/14 - 12:23 pm
Religious proselytizing

Many of you narrow-minded people fail to realize that there are more religions that celebrate holy days during the month of December, specifically the 21st through the 1st of January, than just Christianity. You want that period to yourselves for your own agenda, instead of realizing this.

That is why people say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas," not because they want to convert you or anyone else.

On the other side of that, everyone should just rest their nerves on the issue instead of getting mad about what someone wishes you during the holidays. I'm not a Christian, but when I'm wished a Merry Christmas, instead of getting my feelings in a tizz, I just reply with a "Happy Yuletide."

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 01/03/14 - 04:54 pm
Nice, paulbaughman28. In

Nice, paulbaughman28. In typical liberal fashion, you refer to all who don't think like you do as "narrow-minded." You assume that just because there are people who are fed up with Christianity being demonized like no other religion in this country, that they are unaware that there are other religions. We know there are other religions, but none of the other religions are treated like the red-headed stepchildren such as Christianity is. Tell me this....what other religions are told specifically to not mention their religious holiday when greeting people, like many are told to NOT say merry Christmas? Show us where that happens, paulbaughman28.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 01/03/14 - 04:22 pm
Also, it is interesting that

Also, it is interesting that you have no problem greeting people with "Yuletide" which is a Pagan religious festival, but Christianity must be shunned....thus proving my point in the post above. I have to thank you for making it clear how you stand.

paulbaughman28
paulbaughman28 01/04/14 - 12:23 am
Implying I'm liberal...

...which even if I was, so freaking what? The only reason you hear about people getting mad about Merry Christmas is because only ONE group is running around shouting "keep Christ in Christmas", capitalizing half of the word....which is you Constitutionally protected right to do so. I've been told on numerous occassions not to wish ANY specific holiday to anyone. I've never seen any other group... Jews, Pagans, Heathens, even Muslims....get in as much of a tizzy about a shared celebration, that should be more about community than what it's called, than you Christians.

As far as saying Chistianity should be shunned, where did I say that Angela? Pretty sure what I said was something along the lines of resting nerves about what someone wishes you and saying I, personally, reply by returning the wish in my own tradition.

And yes, this is where I stand on the issue....firmly.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 01/04/14 - 10:36 am
"Also, great to see that when

"Also, great to see that when someone adheres to the Constitution of this Nation literally, you pseudo right-wing types will try to demonize someone by calling them "liberal" without knowing the basis of the statement, nor having true knowledge of the conversational material."

Please show us where in the Constitution it bans the use of the word Christmas. Just how is PREVENTING someone from saying merry Christmas, considered "adhering literally to the Constitution." I would love for you to explain this, but since it's not in the Constitution, I'm quite sure you can't, speaking of having no true knowledge of the conversational material.

And as for shunning Christianity.....it was YOU who stated that you would reply with "Happy Yuletide" in response to "merry Christmas." It is my opinion that the only reason you do this is to irritate the person you are speaking to, since I doubt you are a pagan either.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 01/04/14 - 10:39 am
"ONE group is running around

"ONE group is running around shouting "keep Christ in Christmas", capitalizing half of the word."

I have NEVER seen anyone capitalize have of a word. Would that be "merry CHRIStmas?" That's close to half of the word...but since there are an odd number of letters I'm not sure how you would do it.......but since everyone but you is "narrow minded" I"m sure you know better.

paulbaughman28
paulbaughman28 01/04/14 - 11:19 pm
Well....guess you told me....Oh wait...

The Constitution states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..." So, while it is un-Constitutional to MAKE you say "Happy Holidays," telling someone they HAVE to say "Merry Christmas," stomping your feet and pitching a fit about them not saying Christmas like a spoiled child, is ALSO a violation of someone's civil rights.

As far as MY religious affiliation goes, not that it's ANY of YOUR business, but I am, in fact, heathen. Norse-Germanic, specifically.

So please, go thump your bible and preach your religion. Seriously...that's your RIGHT. it's also my right to tell you when you're not accurate in your fervor about this period of time. Also, unless your degree happens to be in theology or Constitutional Law, you have no room to try to school me on either....Happy New Year.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 01/05/14 - 11:42 am
paulbaughman28
paulbaughman28 01/05/14 - 11:53 am
And a happy Yuletide to you,

And a happy Yuletide to you, Lilly