News |   Obits |   Sports |   Business |   Opinion |   Things to Do |   Life |   Blogs |   Photos |   Video |   Data |   Jobs |   Homes |   Autos |   Buy/Sell

Now, the other Mr. Miller

In the past two weeks, six people have asked me why a man of the cloth such as myself would write the letter to the editor “Prayer still doesn’t work” (Dec. 11). (Editor’s note: That letter was written by a Martinez resident who shares the same name as this letter writer.)

The letter had something to do with a man’s disbelief that prayer to his Maker might be heard and make a difference. With this letter, as I did about a year ago but without response, I cordially invite the other Jeff Miller to breakfast or perhaps coffee, my treat. We can talk about prayer, politics, science, atheism, family affairs, cars or the color of trees – or talk of nothing overtly religious at all, and perhaps simply play a game of cards or Scrabble.

I invite this good man to please contact me through my website at vccaugusta.org, I look forward to a nice chat!

(The writer is pastor of Vineyard Community Church in Augusta.)

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 12/28/13 - 02:53 am
Wait a second

If Jeff doesn't get in touch with you Rev. Miller then I'm free for a free breakfast. (As long as it's shrimp!)
The only problem is I believe in the power of prayer. Does that disqualify me?

david jennings
david jennings 12/28/13 - 08:10 am
Thanks Jeff

I noticed the name on the non believer' letter but knew right away this could not be you. Really enjoy your columns in the Our Faith section of the chronicle on Sat. I pray Jeff takes you up on your offer, it could be the best thing that ever happened for him. Amen.

david jennings
david jennings 12/28/13 - 08:15 am
Thanks Jeff

I noticed the name but I knew right away this could not be the Jeff that occasionally has a column in the Our Faith section of Sat.' chronicle. Thanks Jeff, I enjoy it. I pray that Jeff takes you up on your offer Jeff I think it would probably be the best experience of his life.

Dixieman
Dixieman 12/28/13 - 09:12 am
Pastoral identity theft?

It's terrible when you are confused with someone else with the same name. Signed, Fred Russell.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 12/28/13 - 09:59 am
I think that shrimp for

I think that shrimp for breakfast is one of life's little pleasures. The meal, not the person.

deestafford
deestafford 12/28/13 - 10:00 am
Jeff,

Jeff, don't hold your breath. I doubt of the other Jeff will really want to be engaged in a face-to-face discussion with someone who's educated and personally experienced the power of prayer.

corgimom
corgimom 12/28/13 - 10:25 am
Doesn't the other Jeff Miller

Doesn't the other Jeff Miller have a right to his beliefs?

freeradical
freeradical 12/28/13 - 12:27 pm
Their Despair Gives Them Away

It is ironic and quite telling that while these depairing children always shake

their fist at God regarding the after effects of our sinful condition ,

they always neglect getting down to the nitty gritty and praying

to God for deliverance from what is the cause of it all as Paul :

" Oh sinful man that I am , who will deliver me from the body
of this death ."

Their prayer is rather always :

" God make sure no person ever gets hurt , dies , gets sick ,
on drugs, murdered , etc,etc,etc, but as for this darkened
wicked soul of mine , just keep out of my business God .
I got this "

" Let not your heart be troubled , trust in God , " being totally

lost on them as they shake their fist in their despair at God .

Despair is the hand that pulls down the shade refusing to let God's

sunshine in , the anarchist that would drive God out of His universe .

Let us never despair of the goodness , wisdom or providence of

God .

" For we have not a high priest which cannot be touched
with the feeling of our infirmities, but was in all points
tempted like as we are, yet without sin ."

( Hebrews 4:15 )

pearlthesquirrel
pearlthesquirrel 12/28/13 - 02:31 pm
"Challenge" accepted

"Challenge" accepted at 11:45 a.m. on Saturday, December 28th. Um, what was that you said at 9 a.m. "deestafford"? Your apology is accepted!

myfather15
myfather15 12/28/13 - 03:31 pm
Corgimom

Who said anything about limiting the "other" Jeff Millers beliefs? I didn't catch it.

Also, what's wrong with talking to a person about those beliefs, IF he is WILLING to sit down with you?

Casting_Fool
Casting_Fool 12/28/13 - 03:58 pm
Knowing Jeff (the pastor), I

Knowing Jeff (the pastor), I did a double take when the original letter was published. This Jeff is a good man, and IMO, a good pastor.

Bizkit
Bizkit 12/28/13 - 06:58 pm
It's weird how common names

It's weird how common names can be. I think there are at least four people with my name real name-two within 100 miles. My first name isn't a usual name and I spent most of my life without meeting another person with the same first name-now suddenly it's rainin' my whole name.

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/28/13 - 08:24 pm
Interesting offer

for a private but open dialog

corgimom
corgimom 12/28/13 - 08:46 pm
myfather, if someone doesn't

myfather, if someone doesn't believe in the power of prayer, they aren't too likely to sit down with a minister.

Do you think that the first Jeff hasn't had people talking to him about this all of his life? It's not like it would be the first time, you know?

Today the Jehovah's Witnesses came to my door. I didn't want to talk to them. My grandmother was one, I've dealt with them before, I already know I don't want to talk to them. I already know what they are going to say, and I don't want to hear it. I don't ever want to hear it.

I also don't want to hear the Hare Krishnas (done that too) or the Moonies (done that too) or the Buddhists, the Wiccans, the Muslims, and all the others. (Done them, too.)

And it's pretty much the same way with the nonbelievers. They pretty much feel that way too. Because they know that if they ever change their mind, there will be more than enough people to talk to- they get the Christian proselytizing shoved down their throat enough.

And then Christians wonder why they are so negative towards them.

Darby
Darby 12/29/13 - 12:37 pm
"Who said anything about limiting the "other"

Jeff Millers beliefs? I didn't catch it."

Answer: No one. At least not so far as I have been able to ascertain from reading and rereading the above posts.

myfather15
myfather15 01/01/14 - 08:18 am
Corgimom

Ooooook, you made a pretty good point; as I don't want to talk to the Jehovah Witnesses either, but you didn't answer my question at all.

Who is wanting to limit the "other" Jeff's beliefs? Is witnessing to people, attempting to limit their beliefs?

As I stated, I don't care much for the Jehovah Witness beliefs, and they come to my door and neighborhood, quite often. I answer the door, tell them I don't want to talk and they move on. I've never had one of them try to push their way into my house and force me to listen. It's called tolerance and in takes about 15 seconds of your life to answer the door and say "No thanks, I don't want to talk or receive your pamplets."

Property tax increase OK'd

Augusta commissioners broke a seven-year trend Wednesday and agreed 7-0 to raise property taxes by 1.75 mills to cover a deficit and provide employees a small bonus.