Maybe God is answering

I recently read Jeff Miller’s letter titled “Prayer still doesn’t work” (Dec. 11). It was filled with ad hominem attacks and irrelevant information (e.g., how many times $17 trillion can circle the equator).

What’s most conspicuous about the letter is the straw-man argument he presented. Mr. Miller examined one prayer offered by a group of people that did not turn out the way the believers wanted; he then concluded that prayer doesn’t work. He makes mention of an example he gave last year concerning the same issue and “hope[s] to be back in 2014 with another update.”

The first mistake in his argument is failing to realize that “no” is an answer. Mr. Miller makes mention of “that never-answered prayer.” God does not owe us an affirmative response to prayer. He has the sovereign right to turn us down.

The second mistake Mr. Miller makes is related to the first. We, as parents, often tell our children “no” because of their actions. This is called accountability. We – as a nation – have been irresponsible with our finances and are now paying the price. Should God just give us a free pass because He is full of mercy? God holds us responsible for our actions, and that can mean He will decline our request.

The third mistake Mr. Miller makes is a failure to understand that God has morally sufficient reasons to allow something we may not want. We recognize this principle in other parts of life. I remember the first time I heard my drill instructor scream, “No pain, no gain!” To be properly trained for combat, I endured much in Parris Island. It may be that it is time for our country to feel greater pain in order for us to right this ship.

Mr. Miller did a good job of pointing out the real problem: Congress has spent our nation’s money with “recklessness.” So let us not blame God for leaving us to our own devices. After all, we have chosen to dismiss Him from many parts of our culture, and it looks as though He may be respecting our wishes.

Marvin R. Patrick

Evans

GACopprhed
GACopprhed 12/14/13 - 03:50 am
God isn't interested in how

God isn't interested in how we spend our money. The idea is ridiculous on it's face. What He IS interested, as far as what we do with our money is HOW DO WE HELP THE POOR! You folks had better start listening to Pope Francis.

KasparHauser
KasparHauser 12/14/13 - 07:20 am
Same Olde Song, Same Old Results II

Same old excuses. Just how are any of these weasel words to be distinguished from the alternate explanation that you're just using your breath on unacknowledged self-therapy?

Has prayer ever regrown an amputated limb in a human??

soapy_725
soapy_725 12/14/13 - 09:44 am
soapy_725
soapy_725 12/14/13 - 09:46 am
God answers prayer, Yes, No, Wait, Not according to MY will

God answers prayer, Yes, No, Wait, Not according to MY will

david jennings
david jennings 12/14/13 - 09:50 am
I pray for the lost

Each morning. You said it very well Mr. Patrick, I too believe our present problems (as are my own) are of our own doing. I know for a fact that God does answer prayer because He is working in me right now.

soldout
soldout 12/14/13 - 10:44 am
Prayer and the Word

Good letter and God does say to treat the poor properly but says they will be with you always. We can't fix them all and God is more concerned about the relationship they have with Him. He warned about us feeding the poor but not having the relationship with Him. By the way; He never said He was sovereign and that word is not in the Bible and is a man concept. Sure He controls the shuting down of this age but He said He gave us authority through prayer and speaking to the mountain to accomplish much on this earth. Jesus said you can do what He did and greater things. People like to use the sovereign concept so they can blame everything on God and never take responsibility for how they pray or if they prayed. Basically if that concept was completely true then prayer would serve no purpose but it does, because it changes things . Also the Bible mentions money over a 130 times so it is important in God's eyes for many reasons. How we handle money tells a lot about ourselves. God certainly doesn't want to give you something that will hurt you but if you keep insisting He will just so we learn a lesson. You are made in God's imagine and we need to act like His children if we say we are. There is a creative force in your words. I know you cant create a 62 chevy or a hundred dollar bill with your words but you can create a voltage change in yours or other's people electrical systems that control their immune system. Science can measure the voltage change created by your positive or negative words so you are pretty powerful and your prayers are powerful for several reasons. The Word says life and death are in your tongue so use that to speak life into your family. This country has decided that it doesn't need God and in turn is falling apart like a two dollar suitcase.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 12/14/13 - 11:11 am
Which god?? you people talk

Which god?? you people talk like everyone in this country is christian. They are NOT.

deestafford
42099
deestafford 12/14/13 - 12:35 pm
Ain't it kind of funny...

Ain't it funny how most times the left mentions religion they always bring up the "poor". Recently, the Pope (according to one translation) took a shot at capitalism and how more should be done for the "poor". Well, capitalism has done more to reduce poverty than any other economic system in history. If it were not for capitalism the Catholic Church would not be able to help as many "poor" as it does. As a matter of fact, 60% of the donations to the Catholic Church comes from the capitalistic United States of America. As far as this Pope is concerned, I'm withholding judgement on him because he is from the liberal wing of the Catholic Church and I expect him to lean more toward socialism as is Argentina from where he came.

Americans contribute over $300 billion per year to charity. Now, if you look at UN statistics the US is down the chart in giving. Why? Because it counts money given by the government, not private money, as its measuring stick. The government should not be involved in charity. It should be a private and church matter.

Nobody is more generous than the American people. We have spent over $5 Trillion dollars on the "poor" since 1965 and the same percentage of people are still poor.

KSL
KSL 12/14/13 - 02:39 pm
copper

So you have a direct line to God and the Pope.Yeah , right, you are serious.Where is the mandatory sarcasim font?

myfather15
myfather15 12/14/13 - 03:14 pm
I'm sure my idea of helping

I'm sure my idea of helping the "poor" and GAC's idea of helping the poor are FAR different!!

Also GAC, how do YOU know how much I or any individual have helped the poor? Are you saying that if we want to help the poor, we should ALWAYS give our money to the government and let them help the poor? We shouldn't be allowed to donate to good will, charity, Salvation Army? We should ONLY be allowed to give to government?

Maybe you should MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS when it comes to helping the poor!!! Don't tell me that I need to help the poor, because you don't know me and don't know what I've done for the poor. How does that sound?

myfather15
myfather15 12/14/13 - 03:18 pm
"You folks had better start

"You folks had better start listening to Pope Francis.'

Listen partner, you ain't Christ!! When the samarian woman approached Christ at the well, He knew she had 5 husbands. If a woman approaches YOU, you won't know a darn thing about her!! And you certainly don't know a thing about ME!! So don't tell me who I need to listen to; until the day you became as He, and can tell me everything about my life!!!

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/14/13 - 07:45 pm
GAC, I will agree with you

GAC, I will agree with you that God cares how we treat our poor and needy but I believe there are many ways in which we can help the poor and not everyone's ideas are the same. As for Pope Francis, although I'm sure he is a wonderful man and wishes to do good, a lot of his viewpoints do not follow in line with the teachings of Christ in scripture. Case in point, atheist can be redeemed but they will not enter into the gates of heaven. The only way to enter the gates of heaven is through the redemptive blood of Jesus Christ and once someone who claims they are an atheist receives the free gift of salvation they can no longer be an atheist, they are a new creation and a child of the Heavenly Father. Either you believe or you don't believe.

So atheist may be good people as Pope Francis says but being a good person does not get you into the family of God.

Bizkit
Bizkit 12/15/13 - 12:10 am
"Poor" is relative. Which is

"Poor" is relative. Which is richer-a wealthy family whose Mom and Dad dine separate from the distant children who they know little and just send off to the best schools, or a poor family whose Mom and Dad are centered on providing for their family and they do the best they can. Probably a majority of posters grew up in relatively poorer families, and while not many or any luxury, you didn't got without either. Just makes you all the more appreciative.
"Listen, my dear brothers: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him?"

GodisSoGood
GodisSoGood 12/16/13 - 04:19 pm
Proverbs

The book of Proverbs tells us that if you don't work, you don't eat. The problem with the government is that the government has kept up the "entitlement" mentality. Welfare was never meant to be a way of life, which is has become in the good ole' US of A. I am all for helping the poor, but NOT for enabling people to sit on their duffs while I work to pay my bills.

While the word sovereign may not be mentioned in the Bible, the book of Psalms does record David saying "Before you knit me in my mother's womb, you knew me". I think it is safe to say that God is sovereign!