His answers, in His time

It was with a sense of sadness that I read Jeff Miller’s letter to the editor, “Prayer still doesn’t work” (Dec. 11). He blasphemes a loving God with scholarly words, but with what I perceive and hope is a potentially questing heart.

Those who do not understand prayer believe prayers are rarely, if ever, answered; those who daily spend time speaking to God in prayer know that He always answers.

His answers may not be what we hoped it would be and may not be according to our time schedule, but rest assured it will be for our good or for the good of society.

We see life as it occurs now during our individual lifetime; God sees the whole history of mankind from eternity to eternity and works tirelessly for one purpose: the salvation of every soul. But without faith in our Lord, this is all nonsense and all the arguments made, no matter how persuasive on behalf of our Creator, will fall on indifferent or hostile ears. The Bible speaks to this very issue in I Corinthians 2:12-16.

For those who pray infrequently or not at all, it may appear from Mr. Miller’s article that prayer is primarily centered on what we want God to do for us. Certainly that is one aspect of prayer, but more importantly, it is a time to praise God for being our awesome, kind, and generous Father; to offer thanksgiving for our lives and those who love us and whom we love; and finally, to ask God’s intercession for those we know who are disheartened and heavily burdened by circumstance.

You can never know or understand God until you speak with Him often and intimately in prayer. Expect only that God loves you and wills only the best for you.

Victor Reston

Augusta

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/14/13 - 07:02 am
Thank you Mr. Reston,

Thank you Mr. Reston, excellent and heart-felt letter.

KasparHauser
KasparHauser 12/14/13 - 07:24 am
Same Olde Song, Same Olde Results

Same old excuses. Just how are any of these weasel words to be distinguished from the alternate explanation that you're just using your breath on unacknowledged self-therapy?

Has prayer ever regrown an amputated limb in a human??

soapy_725
soapy_725 12/14/13 - 09:57 am
God answers prayer, Yes, No, Wait, Not according to MY will

God answers prayer, Yes, No, Wait, Not according to MY will

david jennings
david jennings 12/14/13 - 10:08 am
Yes CL

I agree, good letter. Let me say I have learned to say a prayer regularly, and when I talk with God I tend never to ask for anything of this world because anything of this world I can pretty much get on my own. Things are not that important to God, I feel. I just thank Him for the many blessings I have enjoyed, things that cannot be purchased with money. Until I commited myself to reach out to God through His word and put forth the effort to ask Him that Jesus Christ be my redeemer did I discover how wonderful and merciful God is. I ask everyone that doesn't know Him as I have come to know and trust in Him to just try getting to know Him, it is the richest reward I have found in my life.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 12/14/13 - 11:12 am
enough of the fairy tale talk

enough of the fairy tale talk

deestafford
deestafford 12/14/13 - 11:51 am
You see, the problem is...

You see, the problem is those who don't believe in the power of prayer for the most part are what I call "cafeteria Christians". This is especially true among the liberal Catholic politicians such as Pelosi, the Kennedys, and Obama in that they pick and choose what they want to believe in to make things politically expedient. Abortion is a prime example. A true Bible believing Christian could never support abortion. If the powers that be in the Catholic Church had any cahones they would excommunicate those liberal Catholics pushing abortion.

I just don't believe that a true believer fails to believe in the power of prayer.

grouse
grouse 12/14/13 - 02:09 pm
Rationalization. The Bible

Rationalization. The Bible does not set qualifications, conditions, or time limits regarding prayer. It says "ask and it shall be given." Even if answered prayer is limited to that which is "godly," people have been praying for world peace for millennia. It hasn't happened. Time to give up foolish (and ineffective things) and deal in reality...

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 12/14/13 - 03:39 pm
"Deconstructing Linus:

"Deconstructing Linus: Portrait of a True Believing Pumpkinist as a Young Man

What does the Great Pumpkin offer Linus? Why does Linus spend every Halloween in the pumpkin patch, waiting for the Great Pumpkin to appear? Is it about the toys?

"Each year on Halloween night, the Great Pumpkin rises out of the pumpkin patch that he thinks is the most sincere and flies through the air with his pack of toys for all the good little children in the world."

No. This is about sincerity, a subjective standard by any definition.

I wonder if Linus blames himself every year for not picking the most sincere pumpkin patch for his vigil?

I wonder if other Great Pumpkinists castigate Linus by asserting if he were more in tune with the Spirit of the Great Pumpkin, if he were more prayerful, if he read the Holy Writ of the Great Pumpkin with a greater sincerity, that he could indeed rise to the challenge and, via the Spirit, be lead to choose the most sincere pumpkin patch?

I wonder how many years Linus will feel guilty for this failure and blame himself for receiving no answer no matter how sincere he believes himself to be?

I wonder if Linus ever gets frustrated because there is no objective way to measure sincerity? And if he realizes there is no objective standard for such a thing, I wonder if it ever creeps into his mind that his annual mission is nothing more than mindless busywork?

I wonder, does Linus ever has doubts?

For the time being, however, Linus will put aside his doubts and, perhaps as a means of proving his sincerity, begins to proselyte among his friends for converts. Most shrug him off. But Sally, who has a crush on him, believes Linus and agrees to spend Halloween in Linus’ Pumpkin Patch.

Linus then explains that by using positive language and positive thinking, they may be able to attract the Great Pumpkin to their Patch. He also cautions Sally that negative language and negative thinking will cause the Great Pumpkin to pass them by.

There is no room for doubt when one is a Great Pumpkinist. One should never say if the Great Pumpkin comes but always when the Great Pumpkin comes. "One little slip like that, can cause the Great Pumpkin to pass you by!" It’s hard to imagine a benevolent icon such as the Great Pumpkin punishing TBPs (True Believing Pumkinists) for such a minor infraction, but there you have it.

Sally: The Birth of an Ex-Pumpkinist

Because Sally loves her “sweet baboo” Linus, she sets aside her own Halloween plans of trick-or-treating and a Halloween party in order to spend the evening in the Pumpkin Patch. She converts to Great Pumpkinism because she loves Linus. She respects his opinion. And she wants to make him happy and be supportive. And besides, if it’s really true, WOW! Wouldn’t that be fantastic?

But in the end, the only Being that shows up in the Pumpkin Patch is Snoopy. Linus, believing Snoopy to be the Great Pumpkin, swoons into an ecstatic faint, happy in the knowledge that he has finally deciphered the Great Pumpkin’s standard for sincerity. But, alas, it is a misplaced hope, and when Linus regains consciousness, there is not only no Great Pumpkin there to reward him, there is one upset little girl.

"I was robbed! I spent the whole night waiting for the Great Pumpkin when I could have been out for tricks or treats! Halloween is over and I missed it! You blockhead! You kept me up all night waiting for the Great Pumpkin and all that came was a beagle!"

"I didn't get a chance to go out for tricks or treats! And it was all your fault! I'll sue! What a fool I was. And I could have had candy apples and gum! And cookies and money and all sorts of things! But no, I had to listen to you! You blockhead. What a fool I was. Trick or treats come only once a year. And I missed it by sitting in a pumpkin patch with a blockhead. You owe me restitution!"

Luckily for Sally, she only missed one Halloween. And though she is demanding restitution, because her participation was voluntary, she will never receive said restitution. She’ll simply have to accept the experience as one of life’s absurdities and move on.

However, one can hope that this experience has made Sally a more skeptical person, so that the next time she is presented with such fantastic claims, she’ll perhaps be inclined to do her research before committing any time, money or emotion.

After all, fantastic claims should be supported by fantastic evidence, right?

The question now becomes, has this experience made Linus a skeptic? After yet again not having his Pumpkin Patch recognized as sincere and after having endangered his friendship with Sally, will he continue to believe?

In spite of a complete and utter lack of evidence pointing to the existence of the Great Pumpkin, and a complete and utter lack of the Great Pumpkin’s Promise ever having been fulfilled, Linus is a True Believing Pumpkinist to the core. To even admit the possibility that he may be wrong would be to negate all those years of hard work and sincere belief. Linus simply cannot turn his back on his belief.

So if Linus doesn't become an ex-Pumpkinist, what is his strategy? Well, he’s going to keep on trying, isn't he?

"What do you mean, 'stupid'? Just wait until next year. I'll find a pumpkin patch, and I'll sit in that pumpkin patch and it'll be a sincere pumpkin patch, and the Great Pumpkin will come! Just you wait and see! I'll sit in that pumpkin patch, and I'll see the Great Pumpkin. Just wait until next year!"

myfather15
myfather15 12/14/13 - 03:50 pm
But for those who lack faith,

But for those who lack faith, even when they see others prayers answered, they call it coincidence. So there is no winning with them. If the prayer is not answered, it's a terrrible God or no God. If they are answered, it's coincidence.

In November of 2008 my brother was diagnosed with stage 4 lymphoma. To make a long story short; his original doctor misdiagnosed his ailment and that is why it was discovered so late. By the way, stage 4 is the stage you die in!! My brother went from 320 lbs to 220lb. Over Christmas 2008 the whole family got together and we thought this might be our last Christmas with my only brother (He was looking terrible).

Since my sister isn't a big believer, me and my mother got together, annoitted my brother with olive oil and prayed over him. We DID NOT ask God to heal him, we asked that His will be done. We told God we love my brother very much and would LOVE to have him stay, if it be God's Will, but most importantantly, we wanted God's will to be done.

The doctor's said he was too far along (weak) to give him Chemo, because they said it had a strong possibilty of killing him. I remember me and my sister asking "What's the alternative? You don't give him chemo and he will surely die; you give him chemo and he might die." The doctor actually told my sister "You don't understand, we can not give a patient treatment that we know isn't safe and has a high probability of causing his death."

Three days later, the doctor called and said to bring my brother to the hospital. My brother was living in Kentucky and this was the Minnie Pearl Cancer Clinic. He then told us that they were going to admit him and if he could hold down food and water for a couple days, they would reconsider the Chemo. My brother had 19 tumors throughout his body. He was able to hold down the food and liquids, and the doctor's decided to start Chemo. My brother was so weak, he had to remain hospitalized for 3 weeks. To this day, he doesn't remember this period of time. This was January of 2009. In June of 2009, after numerous Chemo treatments, the doctor told him many of his tumors were responding well to the treatment; but there were 6 tumors that hadn't responded much at all.

The doctor's told my brother that his treatment in July was his last Chemo treatment and he couldn't get another, I believe it was for 8 months-1 year. So my brother got his last treatment in July of 2009 and scheduled a checkup in August 2009.

When he went back in August 2009, the cancer was completely GONE!! Every last tumor was GONE!! I still get goose bumps every time I think about this. The nurses who treated my brother during his 3 week stay said they NEVER tell any patients this DURING treatment, of course; but there are some patients they just KNOW, aren't going to make it. They told him that he was one of them. They just had that feeling that he was one that wasn't going to make it. The doctor actually told my brother that he was a "Miracle".

In September 2009 my brother moved in with me and as of December 14th, 2013 my brother is doing WONDERFUL!!

You will NEVER convince me that prayer, doesn't work!!

myfather15
myfather15 12/14/13 - 03:57 pm
GAD

That's a really long comment, just to say that non-believers are smarter than believers. Why did you waste time, copying and pasting that whole thing when you could have just stated "We are smarter than those who believe in God."?

myfather15
myfather15 12/14/13 - 04:13 pm
GAD, there is some fallacy to your little fantasy:

"And I could have had candy apples and gum! And cookies and money and all sorts of things! But no, I had to listen to you! You blockhead."

Can you please tell me EXACTLY what believers are "missing out on"? I'm certainly not missing out on "candy apples and gum"!!

But I suppose "Candy and gum" are medophorical for fornication, adultry, homosexual experiences, drug use, abortion, lying, stealing, murder, deception, molesting children, covetousness, enviousness. Because THESE are the only things True Christians are "missing out on".

As a Christian, I live a FULL LIFE every single day!! I enjoy the company of others, I have a wonderful family who brings me tremendous joy, I have barbeques with friends and family. I enjoy sports tremendously, I love the outdoors, hunting and fishing. I go out to dinner and movies. I have a margarita or cold beer from time to time, when I feel the urge. During the summer, I enjoy going to the beach and lake.

Basically, without continuing farther; I don't deny myself ANYTHING because of my faith, unless it's one of those I listed above.

So basically, if somehow you could PROVE to me today that there is no God, NOTHING in my life would change!! I would do EXACTLY as I'm doing now.

So, using your little fantasy, please tell me what Christians are missing out on and be specific!!

myfather15
myfather15 12/14/13 - 04:49 pm
Wheres the down side?

That is what boggles my mind with atheists. Why do they HATE, Christians mainly, but any person of faith, so much?

As I stated, I've lived life to the fullest. I KNOW I'm right in my faith. But, for the sake of argument, lets say I'm wrong. So I've lived a sucessful, fulfilling life and when the day comes that I pass away, I will have no regrets; so whatever happens to me after death, happens. Where is the DOWN SIDE?

Now, for the sake of argument; lets say I'm right. What is the UP SIDE? The upside is that I get to finally live in a PERFECT WORLD!! A world FREE of anyone who would harm another person. A world FREE of greed and mankind's power struggle, eliminating mankinds lust for power, therefore politics are GONE!! A world where no one will steal from you, cheat you, con you, scam you, rob you, rape you, and so forth.

Now, what is the DOWN SIDE of atheism? You've probably live a successful, fulfilling life; so we're even on that aspect. But that's the END of it. You won't get to experience the perfect world described above.

So basically, I can't find a DOWN SIDE with believing, but I sure can see one with NOT believing.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 12/14/13 - 05:27 pm
You just convinced me that

You just convinced me that modern medicine often works. Just once, I would like to hear about someone being cured by prayer alone. No doctors.

myfather15
myfather15 12/14/13 - 06:21 pm
GAD

There ARE cases of such, but it still doesn't convince you, because people can ALWAYS claim conicidence. I personally know a woman who was diagnosed with a brain tumor. This was many years ago and the Pastor announced it in Church and asked for our prayers. The woman went back for her checkup and there was NOTHING. Now, many of course said "Was it ever there to begin with?" And of course, you will probably believe I'm lying or THEY were lying. NOTHING will convince people like you, except your own heart. It's called FREE WILL!!

But many shall be convinced, sooner than most think!!

myfather15
myfather15 12/14/13 - 06:08 pm
GAD

I see you still didn't list what I'm "missing out on". I'll check back!!

myfather15
myfather15 12/14/13 - 06:29 pm
Just doing a quick Bing

Just doing a quick Bing search, I found numerous articles about people being cured by Prayer, without medicine. But instead of posting links, I'll let you do the research yourself, because I'm quite SURE that you will just graff them all off; so why waste my time. If you care enough, you will research it yourself. All I searched was "person cured of cancer by prayer". So if you're interested, there you go; if you don't care enough, oh well. But YOU were the one who stated "Just once, I would like to hear about someone being cured by prayer alone."

Well, you have this ability at the tip of your fingers, will you take the time to fulfill your OWN request??

myfather15
myfather15 12/15/13 - 06:19 am
Checking back this morning, I

Checking back this morning, I see no list of things I'm "missing out on". I've sure GAD is a very busy person, so I'll check back later this morning, expecting to see an expansive list. Don't disappoint me GAD.

myfather15
myfather15 12/15/13 - 09:41 am
Nope, still nothing. I'll

Nope, still nothing. I'll check back! I'm very curious to see this list!!

myfather15
myfather15 12/15/13 - 04:11 pm
Well, I guess I give up.

I guess I will never learn all those wonderful things I'm missing out on!! And I was looking so foward to learning them; it's a true shame.

GodisSoGood
GodisSoGood 12/17/13 - 10:43 am
myfather15

Love all of your posts. You have an excellent way of putting into words what others cannot. As a believer, I KNOW that I am NOT missing out on anything. Living a life for Christ is a better life, all the way around, fewer hurts than the hurts caused from living a life of sin. The joys are immeasurable!

Morning wreck slows traffic

Expect delays at Peach Orchard Road near Bobby Jones Expressway after a wreck involving an 18-wheeler.