Animal testing barbaric

This is a rebuttal of Christopher Cutler’s and Mark Hamrick’s Dec. 1 guest column (“Animal lovers deserve the truth on GRU dental implant testing”) stating dental experiments used on dogs “are neither frivolous nor unnecessary, and are a key component of developing safe and effective dental procedures for humans.”

I am a licensed dental hygienist. Dental implants have been around for many, many years. They have become mainstream in treatment planning in the past 10 years. Each week in clinical practice, I see patients with dental implant success. I am one of them – I have an implant in my mouth I had done in 2011.

Dental implants have a 96 percent success rate. If they fail, usually it is because of a systemic disease or the patient was a bad candidate for implants (smoker, alcoholic, bone loss too far gone, etc). There is absolutely no reason for these tests to be done. What do you think you would gain from using a jawbone from a dog? Don’t you realize that dogs comprise an entirely different species, and their tissue and metabolism, among many other things, is different from ours?

Would you use your dog’s medication to treat your own health aliments? No? I didn’t think so. It is barbaric that animal testing is being used today.

Becky Leaphart

Johns Island, S.C.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/13/13 - 01:49 pm
Just as a personal note, I

Just as a personal note, I don't know enough about the testing done at GRU to determine whether they are necessary or not so that is why I have not commented one way or the other.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 12/13/13 - 01:57 pm
I clearly stated that the

I clearly stated that the last post was my opinion.....sheesh.

" I see no where in Ms. Leapharts letter where she states "in my professional opinion", or "because of my profession"......"

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/13/13 - 02:00 pm
"So she stated this

"So she stated this information for no reason whatsoever?"

Sheesh.....she stated it just like anyone else does, her personal opinion.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 12/13/13 - 02:04 pm
It's her opinion that she is

It's her opinion that she is a dental hygenist? Why did she feel the need to tell everyone this if it wasn't pertinent?

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/13/13 - 02:42 pm
HA, please try and keep up.

HA, please try and keep up.

She stated she was a dental hygenist for many years as reference to her comment about witnessing several successful dental implants, herself being one of them. I took this as general information about herself since she is in the dentistry profession.

Then the next paragraph, she gives information on the success rate of dental implants and why some fail. She also gave her personal opinion about animal testing being barbaric and in her view unecessary.

Now if you disagree with her opinion that is perfectly fine with me. If you feel it pertinent to know her license number, issue date and expiration date, complaint history, and any other personal information to determine whether you agree or disagree, then I'd say you have a problem.

I'm sure you will feel the need to have the last word on this matter, so have at it. I've stated my case about treating others with respect whether you agree with their viewpoint or not and feel no need to further comment on this. I'm moving on............

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 12/13/13 - 02:57 pm
"I've stated my case about

"I've stated my case about treating others with respect whether you agree with their viewpoint or not.."

"HA, please try and keep up."

Quite respectful.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/13/13 - 02:59 pm
I said "Please" what more do

I said "Please" what more do you want.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 12/13/13 - 03:26 pm
Well...dropping the

Well...dropping the patronizing "try to keep up" would be a start. I know exactly what was printed here, I know what opinion vs fact is, etc. I know that stating that you are a dental hygenist is not the writer's personal opinion as you said following your "sheesh."

I normally follow your logic, but I just can't seem to follow you these last couple of days....and it's not just me.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/13/13 - 03:48 pm
Dang HA, what information are

Dang HA, what information are you referring to. You stated "So she stated this information for no reason whatsoever? You criticize others here for posting things you say aren't pertinent.....why not this?"

Go back and reread all the comments because I do believe you have totally confused yourself. What information do you consider pertinent or not pertinent? You say you know what opinion vs fact is.....Fact....Ms. Leaphart stated she was a license dental hygenist and have witnessed sucessful implants, herself being one. Opinion, she stated animal testing is barbaric and not necessary.

What is so difficult to understand? She voiced her OPINION, she's a dental hygenist, she disapproves of animal testing, her personal (or if you view it as professional) information should have never been posted and she does not deserve personal insults because of her opinion.

Please try and keep up was an honest plea because you have jump from one area of this letter to the next. I get on one topic, you move to something else. I explain that topic and you go back to the original question. Not sure if that has been intentional to try and "one up" the conversation or because you are totally confused. Either way, none of this was the point I was trying to make. Maybe you need to go look up T3 and find someone else to debate with.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 12/13/13 - 03:55 pm
I am far from confused. I

I am far from confused. I stated all my remarks in a cogent, logical manner. Sorry if you couldn't follow.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 12/13/13 - 03:57 pm
" Maybe you need to go look

" Maybe you need to go look up T3 and find someone else to debate with."

From the person who is always respectful. @@

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/13/13 - 04:01 pm
Nothing disrespectful about

Nothing disrespectful about it HA, and your comments were far from being in a logical manner. I followed them fine, just said they didn't make sense.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 12/13/13 - 04:05 pm
Oh really...then just what

Oh really...then just what was the statement about T3 intended to mean. Explain.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/13/13 - 04:12 pm
HA, it means go fine someone

HA, it means go find someone who will debate with you and enjoy it. I'm through. Have a nice day.

myfather15
myfather15 12/13/13 - 07:52 pm
ICL

You stated "What difference does it make HA if this is or isn't personal information? Asking a question to answer a question is not answering the question at all."

First of all, I've answered your question about the relevance of the information provided, in my earlier comments.

Mrs. Leaphart started this article by quoting from the previous article. But HER first sentence was "I am a licensed dental hygienist." Thereby introducing HER PROFESSION into this topic. Why would she IMMEDIATELY declare her profession? There is only one logical answer and that is to show herself and expert on this issue. So she introduced HER PROFESSION into the argument. So I believe it's perfectly acceptable for NocNoc or anyone else to look up her credentials and post them.

So, we've established that Mrs. Leaphart has introduced herself as an EXPERT by putting her PROFESSION into the discussion. So, I believe she is attempting to give a PROFESSIONAL opinion, about dental implants. Yes, it's her opinion, but she is passing it off as a professional opinion, by introducing her profession into the discussion.

Then she says "There is absolutely no reason for these tests to be done." Therefore she is giving a PROFESSIONAL opinion that there is "absolutely" no reason for these tests. Then, to end her article, she finishes with this "Please, as a dental professional, I want to be informed of what researchers glean from these experiments. I would love to know."

So, once again; she is claiming herself a "dental professional" and therefore passing her opinion off as more PROFESSIONAL that others.

Now, I'm a Deputy Sheriff. I would NEVER pass myself off as a professional on dental implants. If I disagree with animal testing, I would simply say I don't like it and don't agree with it. That would be a personal opinion. But when someone introduces their PROFESSION, to make the opinion more valid than others, it DOES bring their credentials into the arguement. THAT is why I believe it was perfectly acceptable for NocNoc to post her PROFESSIONAL information.

I've sat through many murder trials and listen to medical professionals and law enforcement professionals testify. For the first couple hours, they basically just go over the witnesses credentials, to establish to the jury that this person IS an expert in their field. So, when one claims to be a professional or expert, their credentials are in FULL PLAY!!

myfather15
myfather15 12/13/13 - 08:02 pm
ICL

"Opinion, she stated animal testing is barbaric and not necessary."

I agree that THIS sentence is an opinion; no problem there. But when she brings her PROFESSION into the discussion, calling herself a "Dental professional" then states there is "Absolutely" no reason for this testing; THAT is NOT a personal opinion but a professional opinion. Like I said, saying "Absolutely" leaves NO possibility that any good can come of these tests. I would LOVE to know what her true credentials are to make that statement. I don't believe a dental hygienist is doing any sceintific research!!

So for ANYONE to question this opinion and question her credentials for this PROFESSONAL opinion, is perfectly acceptable in my OPINION!!

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 12/14/13 - 11:21 am
myfather15.....did you have

myfather15.....did you have any trouble following my logic in this discussion?

myfather15
myfather15 12/14/13 - 04:25 pm
HA

I had no trouble at all and that's not bias, because I usually agree with you and ICL on most topics.

'Do not swim' order remains in effect for Savannah River

A "do not swim" order for the Savannah River will reamin in effect while officials await lab results of an oily substance found in its waters Sunday.