Prayer still doesn't work

Dec. 4 marked the one-year anniversary of the publication of my letter “Example shows prayer fails,” which questioned Texas Gov. Rick Perry’s August 2011 zealous Day of Prayer and Fasting For Our Nation’s Challenges “save-us-a-thon.” Twenty-eight months later, the updated résumé shows us $17 trillion in debt with a stagnant 14.3 percent rate of total unemployed and underemployed, crowned with a cherry-on-the-top 16-day government shutdown. Moreover, U.S. national debt is projected to be $20.7 trillion by 2017!

All D.C. politicians are starting to resemble Jack Kevorkian. Why? Because the 535 congressional members’ financial recklessness has all but implemented nonrequested euthanasia on 317 million people! Like him or not, at least Dr. Kevorkian had consent! A physician would view this as an iatrogenic problem – an illness caused by the treatment. Everyone else calls this stupidity!

Use your mind’s eye to envision $17 trillion:

• That would buy 68 million homes priced at $250,000!

• That’s a stack of one dollar bills 1.154 million miles long!

• Those dollar bills will circle the equator 46 times!

• Laid flat, those dollar bills would cover 67,862 square miles, an area slightly greater than Washington, the Evergreen State – no pun intended!

Let’s not even extrapolate that $20.7 trillion figure. But it’s only money, right? Earth calling God – where are you? Keep genuflecting, keep praying and keep scanning the infinite welkin with those deer-in-the-headlights eyes for that never-answered prayer while snickering at my mantra of common sense, critical thinking, scientific fact and questioning everything. I hate to tell you I told you so, but I told you so.

I would ask Gov. Perry: What happened? If he believes prayer works, then a Simpson’s paradox happened.

A quote often misattributed to Thomas Jefferson still holds true: “When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty.” Do you automatons beckon tyranny or do you civilians yearn for liberty? Perhaps it would be best for us to consider George Santayana’s advice, circa 1905: “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”

I hope to be back in 2014 with another update. I can’t wait to report on what another year of feckless, plutocratic politicians and ongoing impotent intercessory prayer will do for “we, the people.”

Jeff Miller

Martinez

Bizkit
Bizkit 12/11/13 - 02:32 pm
Kind of ridiculous to read

Kind of ridiculous to read the arguments of a person who likely never prays or believes in it to begin with. So with such a perspective you expect what outcome?????? Good grief. Needs to read up on a long history of how "faith" gives "hope" and "inspiration" to every creed of man from every discipline of science (physics, genetics, evolution, medicine, etc) and every occupation influencing art, music, history, culture, etc. of the world. Small minds. Start with reading Campbell's Power of Myth just to appreciate the impact on mankind.

Bizkit
Bizkit 12/11/13 - 02:37 pm
tbledsoe it is just about

tbledsoe it is just about impossible to not like you. No matter your beliefs or ideology-you seem like a truly nice person. I really like that. You've mentioned you have had some mental issues, but if you ask me your head seems screwed on extremely well-better than most.

RedQuinoa
RedQuinoa 12/11/13 - 02:50 pm
'Tis the season

There will probably be more humanist drivel to emerge as Christmas gets closer. It's hard to figure - it must be some kind of perceived threat because of what Christians celebrate, and "talking down" to those of us who cherish the holiday has a calming effect on that fear.

In any case, the Christmas season sure does seem to get the unbelievers worked up into a lather. The same thing happens around the time of Resurrection Day (aka Easter), as predictable as azaleas in April.

Bizkit
Bizkit 12/11/13 - 02:59 pm
RedQ some people hate freedom

RedQ some people hate freedom and diversity. It's like racism and other forms of bigotry.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 12/11/13 - 03:02 pm
Saywhatagain @ 11:49

I have to agree with your statement about GOD's feelings about aboutions!! Cholicics don't even believe in birth control. For the vast majority of Americans, birth control and abstence are the answers. I will admit to a terrible truth, I was not ready for my first wife's pregnecy, but I don't believe that I would have ever asked for an abortion!! She miscarried, and although it is terrible to admit, I breathed a sigh of relief!! I know this is possible akinned to an abortion, OR PERHAPS GOD didn't believe that I was mentally ready to be a father.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 12/11/13 - 03:09 pm
Bizkit @ 1:37

I thank-you so very, very much for your comment!! Without being long-winded, I am trying to get back "to normal"!! I don't cures GOD for making me this way, I have come to the conclution that GOD MUST have a plan fort not only me, BUT for everyone who is not "considered normal"!! AGAIN, I THINK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR YOUR CONCERN!!!!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 12/11/13 - 03:15 pm
Got to go

Before my daughter catches me on her computer!! I guess I don't blaim her since I un-knowingly "BROKE" the family computer!! I have enjoyed todays comments with you'll and I hope to be back to "normal" when I get my father's older computer which is still working with Windows XP!! Again, I have enjoyed today with you guys!!

GodisSoGood
GodisSoGood 12/11/13 - 03:19 pm
Prayer and Jesus

If I could give Jesus to Mr. Miller for just 5 minutes, he would never want to give Him back. Regardless of the mess this country is in, there is peace that is found only in Jesus Christ...a peace that surpasses all human understanding. It sure seems Mr. Miller doesn't have that peace if he had to count down to 1 year so that he could "confirm" that prayer doesn't work. Seems like he may be consumed with the idea of prayer. Perhaps he should give it a try in his personal life, with faith, believing, that things can happen.

Bizkit
Bizkit 12/11/13 - 03:30 pm
Aww Tbledsoe you are in good

Aww Tbledsoe you are in good company-everyone thinks I'm crazy too.

Sweet son
Sweet son 12/11/13 - 04:46 pm
Glad to see all of your supportive comments for bledsoe!

We fuss, fight and get mad at each other in this forum but we are truly like a family of our own and when one of us hurts the rest do to!

Keep up the good work all of you and we will keep working on bledsoe's pc skills! LOL!

carcraft
carcraft 12/11/13 - 05:17 pm
T3,, nothing to worry about,

T3,, nothing to worry about, my skills stink ,but we look out for each other even if we have five thumb lee boarding!

robert2410
robert2410 12/11/13 - 05:32 pm
What the writer seems to

What the writer seems to misunderstand is we do not think praying alone will fix all our problems. What we are praying for is the strength to face and overcome our problems.

myfather15
myfather15 12/11/13 - 06:27 pm
No, prayer alone won't fix

No, prayer alone won't fix it!!! We need ACTION of our own!! We need to get back to the basics! We need to stop borrowing billions and trillions of dollars to pay our debts. We need to start living within our means!! We need to start actually OBEYING God!! We need to stop embracing immoral, indecent behavior and selfish behavior!! We need people to get to work and not just talk about working!! We need our fellow mankind to "step up to the plate" and help us build a better Country and world. We need less mouchers and more doers!!

THAT is the bottom line!! When we starting doing these things, THEN I believe our prayers will be heard!! Until then, No; I don't believe anything is going to change for the better. Maybe for the worse, but certainly not the better.

carcraft
carcraft 12/11/13 - 08:53 pm
Prayer sometimes fixes

Prayer sometimes fixes things, God intervenes and fixes things. Prayer can open God's spirit to rouse others so we can join together, some times God's spirit moves through us to effect change, sometimes God's spirit rouses us to pray and act. I can not limit God or how he works.

Casting_Fool
Casting_Fool 12/11/13 - 09:33 pm
I've been a believer for over

I've been a believer for over 46 years, and somewhere along the way I learned that prayer doesn't do anything, God does. Prayer is talking to God, sometimes praising Him, sometimes asking for a need to be met, sometimes asking Him to intercede in someone's life, or thanking Him for something. It's conversation, not magic.

You take things to God in prayer, then wait on Him to answer you. The answer might be yes, might be no, could be wait, or could be "surprise, here's an answer that you didn't expect."

The actual prayer doesn't "do" anything other than reflect your faith that God will hear you. God does or doesn't do things, not the prayer.

I know this from personal experience, not book learning. Hard lesson to learn, but worth it in the long run.

carcraft
carcraft 12/11/13 - 10:13 pm
Casting said it better than

Casting said it better than I.

myfather15
myfather15 12/12/13 - 07:22 am
Very true!! It's not the

Very true!! It's not the prayer that helps, but the obedience to God and you showing God that you are obedient. Just like when someone is sick, people always say pray for them; but does the family annoint the person with oil as is commanded? Again, it's not the prayer that heals, but God; but I believe He will only heal is you do it as He says do it. Because it shows Him, you are being obedient.

Isaiah 43:26 "Put me in remembrance: let us plead together: declare thou, that thou mayest be justified."

God wants us to remind him of the promises he has made to us!! Why? Because He is forgetful and needs reminding??? If you believe that, WOW!!

No, it's because He wants to know if YOU know of His promises and if you know to REMIND Him. Have you read the Book? Do you know how He commanded to do things? Then show HIM that you know these things and remind Him.

Casting_Fool
Casting_Fool 12/13/13 - 02:48 am
Just remember that the answer

Just remember that the answer isn't always "yes", when you pray. No amount of faith will get you the answer that you seek, if it isn't in accord with the will of God. And sometimes His will is that we face a hardship instead of being delivered from it.

He's not a god of health, wealth, and happiness, He's the God of our salvation, deliverance from sin and it's penalty. He never promised that we would have health, wealth and happiness, but He did promise that He would be with us as we live and move through life here on earth.

KasparHauser
KasparHauser 12/13/13 - 01:26 pm
Prayer Works!!

... as therapy for those too lazy or cheap or deluded to make a difference with real action.

BTW, how is Gawd not listening to prayer because we're just too consarn'ed sinning to be distinguished from no Gawd there at all? Every prayer unanswered has so many excuses that there's no way to tell the difference between it and a dog barking to its goD, except dogs around here normally get a bone a lot more often than people don't die, or win the lottery.