Prayer still doesn't work

Dec. 4 marked the one-year anniversary of the publication of my letter “Example shows prayer fails,” which questioned Texas Gov. Rick Perry’s August 2011 zealous Day of Prayer and Fasting For Our Nation’s Challenges “save-us-a-thon.” Twenty-eight months later, the updated résumé shows us $17 trillion in debt with a stagnant 14.3 percent rate of total unemployed and underemployed, crowned with a cherry-on-the-top 16-day government shutdown. Moreover, U.S. national debt is projected to be $20.7 trillion by 2017!

All D.C. politicians are starting to resemble Jack Kevorkian. Why? Because the 535 congressional members’ financial recklessness has all but implemented nonrequested euthanasia on 317 million people! Like him or not, at least Dr. Kevorkian had consent! A physician would view this as an iatrogenic problem – an illness caused by the treatment. Everyone else calls this stupidity!

Use your mind’s eye to envision $17 trillion:

• That would buy 68 million homes priced at $250,000!

• That’s a stack of one dollar bills 1.154 million miles long!

• Those dollar bills will circle the equator 46 times!

• Laid flat, those dollar bills would cover 67,862 square miles, an area slightly greater than Washington, the Evergreen State – no pun intended!

Let’s not even extrapolate that $20.7 trillion figure. But it’s only money, right? Earth calling God – where are you? Keep genuflecting, keep praying and keep scanning the infinite welkin with those deer-in-the-headlights eyes for that never-answered prayer while snickering at my mantra of common sense, critical thinking, scientific fact and questioning everything. I hate to tell you I told you so, but I told you so.

I would ask Gov. Perry: What happened? If he believes prayer works, then a Simpson’s paradox happened.

A quote often misattributed to Thomas Jefferson still holds true: “When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty.” Do you automatons beckon tyranny or do you civilians yearn for liberty? Perhaps it would be best for us to consider George Santayana’s advice, circa 1905: “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”

I hope to be back in 2014 with another update. I can’t wait to report on what another year of feckless, plutocratic politicians and ongoing impotent intercessory prayer will do for “we, the people.”

Jeff Miller

Martinez

carcraft
carcraft 12/11/13 - 05:34 am
Well Jeff, members of

Well Jeff, members of congress actually worked out a budget deal to cut spending on a bipartisan bases and are going to actually pass a budget!!! Maybe prayer does work after all. I really think one of the problems has been that we have institutionalized killing babies and celebrating that which God calls wrong. God has lifted his hand of blessing off of America because of our sin and you can see the results. We are now being told it is OK for politicians to lie to scam us.....

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 12/11/13 - 05:50 am
Praying to God is not like

Praying to God is not like wishing to a genie. The answer you get may not be the one you wanted or expected, and certainly not the one you demanded.

myfather15
myfather15 12/11/13 - 06:02 am
Mr. Miller

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results!!

We do the same thing, over and over, and elect the same people, over and over; then expect different results? Really? The American people are gettng EXACTLY what they deserve, and then some!! We have FREE WILL; God's greatest gift!! When we use that FREE WILL to cause problems, He is not going to always swoop in to fix it for us!!

This Nation is having a "falling away"; with more and more incidents of Christ's name being banned from public; and you expect Him to fix it, when people pray for the Country? You might want to revisit the Old Testament Mr. Miller. Learn the lesson of Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, the Minor Prophets and many others. The common thread was God's people rebelling and doing things THEIR way. God sent the prophets to tell them to repent and change. Until they repented and changed, he wouldn't help them.

We are those people NOW!! We are rebelling and the good "Christian" people won't STAND up against the people taking this Country more secular left. When Lydon Johnson purchased the Churches silence in 1954, we were headed down a long road!! Churches today should "Render to Ceasar" what is his and TALK LOUDLY about political issues!! But they fear being targeted by the IRS, so the Churches are silent!!! When the PEOPLE that are supposed to be teaching and standing up for God, are silent; I assure you that He isn't going to be so quick to save this Country's butt!! If you won't stand for Him, He won't stand for you!! That is FAIR!!

Don't get me wrong, He is still our Savior and will save us; but we will go threw a LOT before He will return. Because WE allow it to happen!!

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/11/13 - 06:00 am
Humble Angela, Thank you for

Humble Angela, Thank you for your answer this morning. It is spot on!!!!!

People assume that if God doesn't answer their prayers the way they want then He doesn't answer prayer, all the while God is answering the prayer in the best way possible for that person and they are too blind to even realize it. For His ways are not our ways, and His timing is not our timing.

ymnbde
ymnbde 12/11/13 - 06:03 am
ahh, your own personal little god

to wipe your nose when it runs
to bandage your knees when they bleed
to arrange the chocolate chips into a smiley face
to tie your shoes and help with your homework
and fix your collar and make the monsters under your bed
go hide under someone else's bed
narcissism spans from ear to unhearing ear
and as far as the eye can't see
it has its own personal little god
to reach its every ignorant grasp
my goodness

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 12/11/13 - 06:07 am
-----A great flood was

-----A great flood was sweeping through town. One man was on his porch watching the water flow by when a man came by in a canoe and offered him a ride to higher ground. "No...the lord will help me through this" he replied. Then the water rose higher...he was on the second floor when a boat came by offering him refuge. "No...the lord will help me through this" he replied. Next he was on the roof as water torrented down the street. A helicoptor came by and offered him safety. "No...the lord will help me through this" he replied.

Then he drowned....while waiting for judgement in heaven, he was furious. When he got to speak to God he said, "God, why did you let me die...I prayed and prayed, and you just let me die." God's response was......."well I sent you 2 boats and a helicoptor, what else did you expect me to do?"

myfather15
myfather15 12/11/13 - 06:21 am
I can't blame Him either!!

As a Deputy, I believe I can understand somewhat how He feels. People are constantly causing their own problems, by their own bad decisions. Then they call us in and expect us to rub their tummy, fix the problem and make everything better in 5 minutes or less. So a problem that took 5 years and MANY bad decisions to make, we've got to fix in 5 minutes? Like a husband and wife, deciding to get a divorce but they can't afford to live seperate so they continue living together. Then the wife brings in her new boyfriend and he starts staying there several nights a week. Then later moves in, with husband still living in the other room.

Ooooh no, I couldn't anticipate any problems there, could you? This goes along happily for 3 months, then the new boyfriend brings his brother in and let's him sleep on the couch for a while. The brother ends up "sleeping" with the husband; while the wife is sleeping in the other bedroom with the new boyfriend. Then guess what? They ALL get into a big altercation and it blows up!! Everyone is wanting everyone else thrown out of the house!! Another Deputy actually tells them they sound just like a Jerry Springer show. Guess what? THEY had the nerve to complain on HIM!!! They are the ones caused this entire situation and they ARE a Jerry Springer show!! But when someone tells them they are, they get mad and complain!! I know people won't believe this, but this just recenly happened, my honor on it!!

I guess that's what I'm saying; people create their own mess, then expect God to clean it up for them immediately, with no action on their part. They don't want to have to do anything, including repent or change their ways, they just want you to fix it and keep your mouth shut!! They want us and GOD to fix their problems, but while you're doing so, keep your opinions ABOUT their problems to yourself. Don't give them ADVICE on how to avoid these problems!! Oooh no!! Just fix them and leave, so they can continue living however they choose.

We should be able to see exactly what He is so frustrated with those who won't listen to Him!!

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 12/11/13 - 06:37 am
that's right.. praying to god

that's right.. praying to god is not like wishing to a genie... oh wait, yes- it is.. might as well pray to the old man in the red suit and the egg laying bunny rabbit.

localguy55
localguy55 12/11/13 - 07:27 am
Sometimes God let's man swim

Sometimes God let's man swim in the swamp he creates for himself. I see the all mighty sitting back and watching what man does to himself and muses. Sometimes he will intervene, sometimes he doen't.

Just like Humble Angela's example, God has given man the ability to get out of the problems and I think God expects this from us. Just like a good parent that does not always bales out the child so that he may learn form his mistakes.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 12/11/13 - 08:49 am
IF......Then

If my people, who are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

smbga
smbga 12/11/13 - 08:57 am
prayer

right back at ya 'myfather15'

carcraft
carcraft 12/11/13 - 09:14 am
God has a purpose and a plan

God has a purpose and a plan that is going according to HIS will. Joseph being sold into slavery is a great example. When all was said and done Joseph told his family, after he had saved them , "you meant it for evil but God meant if for good"! So I look at the folly of those that think worship of God is foolishness or think God's will can be thwart.

soapy_725
soapy_725 12/11/13 - 09:14 am
The absolute will of God takes precedence over indiviual prayer

The absolute will of God takes precedence over individual prayer

soapy_725
soapy_725 12/11/13 - 09:15 am
Intercessory prayer must be within the Will of God.

Intercessory prayer must be within the Will of God.

soapy_725
soapy_725 12/11/13 - 09:16 am
Almighty God is not Santa Claus. Wake up, Grow up, Stand up,

Almighty God is not Santa Claus. Wake up, Grow up, Stand up,

Bizkit
Bizkit 12/11/13 - 10:01 am
The prayer seemed to work for

The prayer seemed to work for Texans their population and economy are booming. But we already know that America has a limited life. In order for the Revelation to be true-America has got to go, China will fight a war, etc.
A country can't be a christian-just like a church isn't a building (its a group of believers). Why would an atheist believe in prayer? 70% of Americans and over 2 billion in the world disagree about the power of prayer. Isn't that like saying 99.9% of biologist believe in evolution so it has to be true. The thing is that even if a miracle occurred and the prayer was answered non-believers would dismiss it anyways and explain it away as a trivial circumstance. The problem is "proving" Evolution or God is true is impossible because people will always dismiss certain evidence or tout reasonable doubt.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 12/11/13 - 10:04 am
HA @ 5:50

Your statement could not be any truer!! God DOES perform miricles, BUT He has given people the power to help themselves!! In this case WE THE PEOPLE must decide the next and future generations of law-makers!! I "pray" that we all make the right decisions!

As an aside: I am working off of my daughter's lap-top, AND I HATE IT!!!! Forgive me for not posting more until I get A REAL COMPUTER!!

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 12/11/13 - 10:12 am
GOD does answer prays..and

GOD does answer prays..and sometimes HE answers pray by not answering in ways we want or expect..HE is not a sugar daddy..my personnel feeling is that GOD is allowing our country exactly what it is asking for...a people dependant on their god..GOVT..AND NOT HIM..AND when GOD leaves man to his own foolishly ways and desires ..well just look around..our country is going to hell, electing the same old politicians with the same old promises..GOVT IS THE ANSWER...WELL ITS NOT..we now look at traditional families as not the norm, those who preach living within our owns means are anarchist, and demonized..those who dont want to work are somehow the noble poor..while 40 percent of us pay all the bills and somehow are selfish..no GOD did answer the prays of the country...if you go YOUR way...it will lead to ruin...

Bizkit
Bizkit 12/11/13 - 10:13 am
Jeff you will never likely

Jeff you will never likely believe in the power of prayer and I will likely never quit believing in the power of prayer. Ain't America great we can have such diversity in beliefs. And we all support diversity-right?

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 12/11/13 - 10:18 am
HA 6:07

GREAT COMMENT!! It is both humorous and very correct! Just wanted you and everybody that I do read your comments, BUT lab-top technology "is not my bag"!!

billcass
billcass 12/11/13 - 10:19 am
Sad

My first reaction when I read this letter was not, as the author expected, one of ridicule or scorn. It was one of sadness. God tells us to weep over the lost, and this man is lost. His anger and hatred are seemingly consuming him. Very sad.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 12/11/13 - 10:25 am
Billcass 10:19

I am not convinced that the LTE is questioning GOD, but why our country is going down hill when GOD knows this.

carcraft
carcraft 12/11/13 - 10:26 am
T3, God does preform

T3, God does preform miracles today. Working in the health care field I have soon my share!

KSL
KSL 12/11/13 - 11:07 am
Tim

Plug your keyboard and mouse into your laptop if theyare usb.

allhans
allhans 12/11/13 - 11:09 am
The letter writer obviously

The letter writer obviously has no idea what prayer is.

saywhatagain
saywhatagain 12/11/13 - 11:49 am
I agree with him

Prayer will not work while we are murdering over a million precious unborn babies every year. You don't think it grieves God's heart that we continue with this atrocity? Think again. Psalm 66:18 makes it crystal clear...God will NOT listen while we are wallowing in sin.

Sweet son
Sweet son 12/11/13 - 12:53 pm
@t3bledso

Glad to see you here! Hope you are feeling better!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 12/11/13 - 01:17 pm
Sweet so @ 12:53

Thank-you so much for your comment!! Hopefully if I can get a computer that "this old man" can work, than I will be able to joint the group much better!! Thanks again!!

pearlthesquirrel
pearlthesquirrel 12/11/13 - 01:18 pm
See ya'

Another bodacious letter from Mr. Miller - as they always are. But let me point out some facts (a.k.a. the truth) you people may not realize.
1.) This letter took 2 months to get printed.
2.) The "Science is mankind's savior" took 2 weeks (?) to get printed.
3.) The "Example shows prayer fails" letter took 6 months (!) to get printed.
Those are facts! How do I know that? That's because these are my letters. Now, let's see how long it takes for rebuttal letters to start getting printed, shall we? This is my last post EVER and last letter to the Chronicle EVER so enjoy the common sense, critical thinking, scientific fact, and question everything while you can, because all of the aforementioned things will disappear as soon as the [G.W.], [K.P.], [E.P., M.D.], [J.G.], and [S.G. von S.] letters roll in.
The funny thing is, you people have no comprehension how uninformed you make yourselves and the Augusta community look when you continually say things like: "Ah, evolution is just a theory." Evolution IS a theory - a proven theory - and I've got a $5,000 check that has been refused by 18 people with a counterpoint to that. So, if you want to step up and back up your talk, well, let's do it, shall we? Of course, you're going to NOT accept.....and you'll keep spreading your lies because, well, that's what you people do. $5,000 - anytime, anywhere, - just bring YOUR check.
And for you people that think "prayer actually works", why don't you look up the scientific S.T.E.P study? Oh, that's right, you WON'T look that up because it will prove you wrong. Hey, sorry to burst your bubble, but facts are facts! And because prayer has been busted by the STEP study, let me show you how you're wrong. Because you people like your religion so much, let me quote: "He replied, because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, Move from here to there, and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." (Matthew 16:20-21). There's NO disclaimer on that....there's nothing stating that prayer works on this and not on that...it works on everything. But go ahead, tell me how I'm "misinterpreting" scripture. Yea, ok, whatever. But if that's how you want to think - so be it. You people can have Augusta, because as soon as I can get out or transfer I will. But let me leave you with this as this is my VERY FAVORITE scripture from the Bible. As a matter of a fact, when I told a lady that stopped at my house two Saturdays ago with her Bible, I told her to look it up and she almost fainted. "But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them- bring them here and kill them in front of me." (Luke 19:27). Of course, you'll spin that anyway to suit your view - and that's your choice. But it's sure funny how fast people leave my driveway when I have them read that from the inerrant word of God Bible. Logic!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 12/11/13 - 01:27 pm
KSL @ 11:07

You and Humble Angela have tried to be so very helpful in my persuites of trying to be MORE COMPUTER SAVY!! I do thank you both for your inputs, BUT I am schedualed to get my fathers older computer with Windows XP which I like to work with VERY MUCH!! This Windows 7 and Widows 8 ARE WAY over my old brain!! Thanks to you and HA for thying to teach this old dog new tricks!! I really mean that!!

Ex-superintendent to write of miraculous recovery

Taking his doctor's advice, former Richmond County school superintendent Frank Roberson has nearly finished writing a 150-page book about his remarkable recovery from brain trauma.