Shed entitlement mentality

A woman on government assistance was quoted in an Augusta Chronicle story (“Food stamp cuts hit hard across area,” Nov. 17) as saying: “Some days you’ll have to just eat sandwiches. Some days you’ll have to go without eating at all.” This is on $347 per month ($80 per week) for her and two children.

No she doesn’t! This is the problem with the entitlement mentality group that the government, predominately liberals, have bred in this great country. They are so dependent on the government they have become increasingly resistant to change. I grocery-shop with my wife. I know that the staples, which are nutritious, relatively inexpensive in bulk and easy to prepare, and will fill a belly nicely. Yes, good old beans, rice and bread. And if the children are school-age, breakfast and lunch are free thanks to the working taxpayers.

So perhaps the woman quoted needs to adjust her shopping habits or take part in my church’s great welfare program – keeping in mind, however, that our welfare program requires that you do something, unlike the government. And she just refuses to see that, as long as she is dependent on the government, they dictate to her how much she gets to spend on groceries – and, in fact, they dictate her very financial worth.

I will not stand in the way of her choice, but I have grown tired of this cancer of entitlement mentality that continues to rapidly spread across this country. Change of any sort requires courage.

And by the way, I eat sandwiches every day.

Bobby Ross

North Augusta, S.C.

jack234
jack234 11/21/13 - 06:51 am
Have you checked out the

Have you checked out the price of food recently? Even if the kids eat at school and she only fixes one meal per day, she only has $11.42 for that one meal per day to feed 3 people. I'm sorry, but my heart goes out to these people even if its costing me more in taxes. Just maybe it is them and not me because I was spared to help them. I truly believe God does everything for a reason, although we might not understand why. George Zimmerman can't find any peace now. OJ is behind bars. The Republican senator who wanted food stamp receipents tested for drugs got 1 year probation for being a crack head. All things work for the good for those who love the Lord. Many, many investigations but they go no where. Look like the investigations are just an excuse for not really accomplishing anything, like working to tweet The Affordable Health Act. I would have never thought that in the year 2013, members of the legislature would treat a president the way they do.
You can be within the law and be mean and hateful. So much more could have been accomplished and history will blame the Republicans for the way they acted. Reminds me of those who didn't throw the rocks at Little Rock Ark., but just remained silent. Hello!

Gary Ross
Gary Ross 11/21/13 - 07:36 am
A positive fix

Take the billions that are spent on food stamps and convert half of it into staple food supplies. The other half can go to pay off the national debt. Hire some of those on food stamps and government welfare to package the food for daily distribution to individuals, thus putting people back to work and giving them a sence of responsibility. Those who receive the free food will have more food by volume, but they will have to put some effort into cooking. If they want to eat out or have better meals, they will just have to find a job like the rest of us.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/21/13 - 09:36 am
(jack234) "Have you checked

(jack234) "Have you checked out the price of food recently? Even if the kids eat at school and she only fixes one meal per day, she only has $11.42 for that one meal per day to feed 3 people"

Jack, for $11 a meal, you can buy some chicken, rice, can of soup, can of corn and make a huge pot of chicken and rice with veggies and for a mother and 2 kids make at least two meals out of it.....so if you shop wisely and prepare home cooks healthy meals, along with food pantrys, a mother and 2 children can live nicely on $347 a month of free income for food.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/21/13 - 09:34 am
Jack234, what about a lbs of

Jack234, what about a lbs of hamburger (which by the way is on sale for $3.99 a lb. (the lean kind), a package of gravy mix to make hamburger steak, a box of mac & cheese, can of green beans, and even have a dessert like jello pudding, to go with it for $11 or less.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 11/21/13 - 10:11 am
Plenty is by all means plenty

I have a family of three and we spend about $70 per week AND that includes a box of wine for $17.00 every other week!! If my elementary school math serves me correctly, that comes out to be $314.00 or less in some months!! PRIORITIES AND CONSERVATISUM are the answers to these constant whines about food-stamps and welfare!!!!

soapy_725
soapy_725 11/21/13 - 10:15 am
Life skills are no longer taught by parents, schools & churches.

Life skills are no longer taught by parents, schools & churches.

soapy_725
soapy_725 11/21/13 - 10:16 am
Little birds who never leave the nest. Ain't guvmit grand.

Little birds who never leave the nest. Ain't guvmit grand.

soapy_725
soapy_725 11/21/13 - 10:17 am
Human government are BEAST. Devouring as they go forward.

Human government are BEAST. Devouring as they go forward.

carcraft
carcraft 11/21/13 - 10:35 am
Well the problem for low

Well the problem for low income families is only going to get worse as the value of the dollar drops! I was looking at "junk coin" silver values. I am 64 years old. From the time I got to about 12 years old American coins were actually silver. Today a $50.00 dollar face value in silver coins sells for over $700.00 dollars. Deficit spending has decreased the value of American money by 1400X!

teaparty
teaparty 11/21/13 - 10:45 am
jack234 said, 'I would have

jack234 said, 'I would have never thought that in the year 2013, members of the legislature would treat a president the way they do.
I guess you didn't notice the way the president was treated in 07 & 08 but I guess that was OK since he was a white republican.

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/21/13 - 10:51 am
I'm tired of it. "Oh boo-hoo,

I'm tired of it. "Oh boo-hoo, y'all mean conservatives ain't giving me enough free stuff". Geez, we are giving you food stamps AND feeding your kids 3 meals a day at school AND sending them take home for the weekend. How about you get off of your big bottom and get a job and try becoming a tax PAYER like the rest of us. I'm tired of you and your ilk. If I had my way I'd make sure you got hungry enough to force you to go looking for a job. Believe me, you would. I don't worry about school age kids because we are already feeding them. If you had pre-school age kids I would give you a bus pass so that you could report DAILY to a local government facility that would issue you ONE DAY'S worth of food STAPLES for you and your pre-school aged children. So be glad the benevolent socialist Republicans and Democrats are running things because I would put ALL of you to pounding the pavement looking for a job because it would be more WORK to get welfare than it would be to actually get a job. We have made wefare TOO CONVENIENT, TOO COMFORTABLE, and TOO EASY TO GET.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/21/13 - 11:34 am
If they believe they aren't

If they believe they aren't getting enough on their EBT, then why have I not once seen someone use coupons with their EBT? Never.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/21/13 - 11:34 am
Nor have I seen them getting

Nor have I seen them getting the store brands.

jimmymac
jimmymac 11/21/13 - 11:38 am
SNAP

Welfare has sapped a large segment of the population of any incentive to provide for themselves. Nobody I know has a problem helping old and those that truly cannot provide for themselves. Taxpayers are however sick of the handouts for people who refuse to do anything to improve their state in life. Many give no thought on having children they cannot or won't provide for. I'm opposed to giving financial incentives to people so bankrupt of conscience. Eliminate the Snap program and give them food directly at food pantries and at least they'll have to get off their rears long enough to go get their free stuff. The kids would be better off in group homes and away from their lazy parent.

ymnbde
ymnbde 11/21/13 - 11:43 am
manna from heaven?

ebt card from the government?
well, someone had to work for the food bought with a card
someone sowed
and taxes were paid on the labor
someone reaped
and taxes were paid on the labor
someone packed
and taxes were paid on the labor
someone shipped and loaded
and taxes were paid on the labor
most food stamp recipients, in their lives, have
sowed, reaped, packed, and shipped
and many aren't capable
but the government has created a class of people
who do not sow, nor care of sowing
who do not reap, nor care of reaping
who do not pack, nor care of packing
who do not load, nor care of loading
but they vote!

KSL
KSL 11/21/13 - 11:47 am
Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/21/13 - 11:50 am
It's sad that there are so

It's sad that there are so many who do not work for a living, but instead, vote for a living.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 11/21/13 - 11:53 am
The little kids then learn this

Way of thinking from their mothers and on and on it goes. This mother should be sharing with the less fortunate - that big pot of chicken and rice etc - maybe we should be giving them cooking lessons - maybe the children could then take care of themselves! The mom sure isn't!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 11/21/13 - 12:40 pm
Hip to the LTE

Young Fred
19382
Young Fred 11/21/13 - 12:52 pm
"Shed entitlement mentality"

What a confusing headline! Ya see, I need a shed. With all the freebies (so-called) going on, I feel I'm entitled to a shed. Not one I should have to pay for mind you. But one my neighbors should pay for!

I can even justify it - yep. If you don't want debris, garbage, used undergarments etc. scattered about my yard, YOU should provided me with a shed!

As-a-matter-of-fact. It's been shown that a messy yard contributes to depression. If my neighbors don't GIVE me a shed, they're showing their lack of humanity. They're showing their greed! They probably like the outdoor channel and enjoy tea. 'nuff said!!!

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/21/13 - 01:18 pm
"I agree with almost all of

"I agree with almost all of this LTE, BUT I don't understand tieing this in with voting."

Because those who are addicted to being cared for by the government will vote for the ones who will give them the most stuff.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 11/21/13 - 01:39 pm
HA @ 1:18

I agree with your statement! It is so good to have you comment on my posts! I have missed all of you, BUT I still don't think I am ready to go back to normal posting yet! AGAIN, I have missed you and all of the rest!

Echoes86
Echoes86 11/21/13 - 02:10 pm
I wonder...

I agree with most of your comments about the government not being a nanny, but I wonder how many of you feel this strongly about wasteful military spending (you know, the part that doesn't go to troops, vets, or supplies). I wonder if you all feel it's easier to make your neighbor the scapegoat of our economic failures rather than looking at the whole picture of what's destroying our economy.

jimmymac
jimmymac 11/21/13 - 02:16 pm
t3bledsoe

I've noticed a marked change in most of your postings. It's great to see you willing to accept that both sides sometimes have valid positions. I now look forward to reading your posts.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/21/13 - 02:18 pm
I certianly don't like

I certianly don't like wateful spending of any kind, be it military or otherwise. The difference is that military spending is called out in the constitution.......providing for people who refuse to work is not.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 11/21/13 - 02:50 pm
Military spending

In my opinion, The Constitution may call for spending in order to maintain a military readiness, BUT I do not agree that the current spending is ANY WHERE near enough towards the disabled veterans!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 11/21/13 - 02:54 pm
People not working

For many of these people, "The persuet of happiness" applies!

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/21/13 - 03:01 pm
The government does not have

The government does not have to spend a dime to provide everyone with the right to persue happiness.

KSL
KSL 11/21/13 - 03:06 pm
Tim

Nor maintaining our readiness to defend ourselves against enemies.

High court rules in probation case

Georgia's Supreme Court issued a unanimous decision concluding that it is legal for local courts to contract with private companies to supervise offenders on probation for minor violations.