Many problems, few answers

Two-thirds of our nation’s economy, the gross domestic product, depends on domestic consumption. It takes a healthy middle-class family making between $65,000 and $130,000 a year to sustain reasonable economic growth. Recent statistics have shown that maximum family happiness was recorded at about $75,000 per year income, with an average American family most likely to stay together with some church affiliation.

We now know that this middle class has been losing ground – family income below $75,000 has dropped more than 20 percent in six years, leading to less purchasing power to buy goods and services.

This socialist-leaning administration has tried to pump up this loss with government-borrowed money it never intends to repay. Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke has kept interest rates near zero percent to keep government borrowing cheap and interest payments low. Americans who have saved all their lives for retirement now get nothing in return.

The American history of growing in a free and competitive economy has been undermined by increasing regulations. A 45 percent entitlement society is unsustainable. Many Western industrialized countries have a negative birth rate, meaning more people die than babies born. Fewer than three working and taxpaying people are sustaining eight to 10 retired recipients now.

All government-controlled societies in history have failed and become bankrupt. A recent example is the Soviet Union, whose economy collapsed after 73 years. So have the economies of 17 other Eastern countries. Our politicians – in both parties!– don’t seem to have the answers to our obvious problems.

S.G. von Schweinitz

Appling

deestafford
deestafford 10/24/13 - 06:07 am
The letter writer is correct. We need some drastic changes in

our government and not the "hope and change" Obama is cramming down our throat. The "hope" is becoming "enough of that change" but it is late coming.

Term limits and repealing the 17th Amendment would be a good start. A balanced budget amendment would also be needed.

It doesn't take much watching of C-Span to see that there are many in Congress who could not have a productive job in the private sector if they weren't capable of convincing folks back home of the bacon they are going to bring if they are kept in office. Some promise the whole hog and not just bacon.

The thrust of Mark Levin's book is a good starting point.

myfather15
myfather15 10/24/13 - 06:17 am
We need drastic changes

We need drastic changes alright!! I fully expect to get them as well; just not from mankind!! Drastic changes are coming!! Sooner than many want to believe!!

ymnbde
ymnbde 10/24/13 - 07:22 am
it takes a pillage

sustained and staffed by bureaucrats
and a media filled with useful O'diots
to get this close to catastrophe
we are being buried with nary a shot
"...the longer an empire is in existence, the more time the successfully sinister have to find ways to subvert the system and insert themselves into positions of power."

Gary Ross
Gary Ross 10/24/13 - 08:25 am
To be debt free is a good feeling

A one-year layoff in 2009 has taught me one lesson, that I need to get my financial act together if my family is to have a chance at basic survival! A few years of hard work, sacrifice, and focus. We are nearly there, owing no one anything (except for living expences). Now we have extra money for small luxuries, and a savings account for emergencies. It's a good feeling to be able to keep your entire paycheck every payday! It's an even better feeling to know that I'm smarter that the US Government!

Can you imagine what we could do if this country wasn't so far in debt?

Darby
Darby 10/24/13 - 11:59 am
"Our politicians – in both parties!–

don’t seem to have the answers to our obvious problems."

Wow! - Really??

That's never happened before has it?

Darby
Darby 10/24/13 - 12:05 pm
"It's a good feeling to be able to keep your entire paycheck

every payday! It's an even better feeling to know that I'm smarter that the US Government!"

Well, now you've gone and screwed the pooch. Our glorious Orwellian-Ozbamian government is now going hack into the Chronicle website, find out who you are and schedule you for a couple of back to back audits.

They'll take it all and you'll be down to your skivvies in no time.

localguy55
localguy55 10/24/13 - 12:13 pm
Gentlemen, I say prepare

Gentlemen,
I say prepare yourself just a bit so when this house of cards crumbles you will at least have a little breathing room to plan for the next step, extended survival. You don't need to be a prepper, just a little prepared. And when it happens be thankful you are not in places like NYC, San Francisco, Washinton D.C., etc... where riots, murders, Rapes, and cannabalism will be reported to be wide spread.

Sweet son
Sweet son 10/24/13 - 01:01 pm
myfather15's statement about change not coming from mankind

is very prophetic! We as a great nation are DONE! I probably won't be around to see the end when one of the stronger empires of the world controls the USA but I am sad that my children and grandchildren will have to endure this terrible situation that 'we' have created for them.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 10/24/13 - 01:45 pm
Sweet son @ 1:01

"We as a great nation are DONE! I probably won't be around to see the end when one of the stronger empires of the world controls the USA but I am sad that my children and grandchildren will have to endure this terrible situation that 'we' have created for them"

You are so right! If this generation is not willing to sacrefice; even a little; then what does that say for the way we view our kids' and grandkids' futures??

clayhill
clayhill 10/24/13 - 03:00 pm
I agree with the writer, and

I agree with the writer, and I will say that the politicians don't have the answer because they are the problem.

nocnoc
nocnoc 10/24/13 - 03:38 pm
Well Written and factual

I would like to buy the writer lunch.
Email an tell me were you want lunch
I'll leave a gift card with the manager.

Just show some ID to collect (only to make sure you get it).