Team's name is offensive

The controversy over the name of the Washington Redskins football team continues, with President Obama, columnist Charles Krauthammer and your own editorial board (“Honor the heritage,” Oct. 18) recently weighing in on the subject.

The connotations of the team’s name reflect some of the worst aspects of contemporary American society. The name is deeply offensive to many of us. Its disrespect and scorn for our country should not be allowed to continue. Just imagine how ashamed and insulted the team’s players and fans must feel to be associated with such a negative word!

Yes, it is clear that the time has come to remove the word “Washington” from the team’s name.

wribbs
wribbs 10/22/13 - 06:39 am
You got me. When I saw the

You got me. When I saw the title, I thought, "Here we go again."

You are right though, if I played for them I would be deeply offended.

Bulldog
Bulldog 10/22/13 - 06:40 am
Amen!

Washington is indeed a shameful moniker. Take it off everything!

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 10/22/13 - 07:09 am
I agree...the natives, who

I agree...the natives, who have expressed no distaste for the name "Redskins" are being disrespected with that other shameful name.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 10/22/13 - 07:11 am
Shame!

saul alinsky must be turning in his grave. massa obama thinks washington is a fine name.

localguy55
localguy55 10/22/13 - 07:40 am
I know I will take flack for

I know I will take flack for this but here goes, this is another display of political correctness going over the top. Just because some say they are offended does not mean that it is offensive. When did it become offensive, this year, last year, ten years ago....
Who is offended? Leaders of native indian groups have stated that they are not offended. I can not remember any native indian protest over the use of Red Skins.
The name has been used for decades without any protest until the age of political correctness and did any of you who are now offended, protest before the time of political correctness. I think not.

Think about it for a bit. Where was your stand before some pinhead decided to bring up the subject of the name being offensive. I do not think any who claim they are offended now had any objection way back when. Where am I wrong on this?

gaflyboy
gaflyboy 10/22/13 - 07:28 am
Rename the team ...

While their stadium is "inside the beltway", it is not actually in DC. It's in Landover, MD. So ... The Maryland Redskins!

But, ya know. Mr. Obama, Mr. Krauthammer, wribbs, Bulldog, Humble, localguy, nor I should have any say in it anyway. Unless one of us is a stakeholder. If enough fans vote (with their dollars) to have it changed, I'd bet it would be changed.

deestafford
deestafford 10/22/13 - 08:43 am
ConcernedTaxpayer
ConcernedTaxpayer 10/22/13 - 09:04 am
I can most certainly agree

I can most certainly agree with most of the sentiments expressed in these comments. For the most part, I hate political correctness, and I agree that the name Washington should be more offensive than Redskins.

localguy55
localguy55 10/22/13 - 09:06 am
OOPS, the last sentence just

OOPS, the last sentence just flew over my head.....and with a re-reading of the letter, I am amused.

soapy_725
soapy_725 10/22/13 - 09:09 am
Where was the PC when Anglos committed genocide, ethnic

cleansing, ghetto aka reservation compounds, sugar induced diabetes, high carb diet obesity, cholera blankets, forced migrations, repeated forced migrations, constant violation of treaties, destruction of heritage,

soapy_725
soapy_725 10/22/13 - 09:10 am
So we stole their land, "they weren't doing anything with it..."

So we stole their land, "they weren't doing anything with it..."

Dixieman
Dixieman 10/22/13 - 09:28 am
Brilliant!

Hee, hee!

KSL
KSL 10/22/13 - 09:49 am
Great letter, but I had

Great letter, but I had already seen the punchline somewhere. Great minds.

rebellious
rebellious 10/22/13 - 10:25 am
localguy

I was primed to ask you if you read the entire article. I, like you, was poised over the keyboard. Until I read the last line!

Priceless.

Sweet son
Sweet son 10/22/13 - 12:31 pm
Mr. Carrad

You just made my day! :) :) LOL! LOL!

clayhill
clayhill 10/22/13 - 04:19 pm
David, that was very good. I

David, that was very good. I was loading up to blast you when I realized you were talking about Washington. Very Good!

fedex227
fedex227 10/22/13 - 04:56 pm
Didn't see it coming either ...

two thumbs up!

bubbasauce
22036
bubbasauce 10/22/13 - 06:08 pm
Very good and yes Washington,

Very good and yes Washington, D.C. is a total disgrace. Let's vote them all out. Then I realize some people are still going to vote for their freebies. They will always vote Democrat, too bad.

fedex227
fedex227 10/22/13 - 09:33 pm
Come on HA ...

put the bug to sleep for awhile, enjoy the joke.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 10/23/13 - 06:52 am
fedex..... At least 16 other

fedex..... At least 16 other people could see that I got and enjoyed the joke.

prov227
prov227 10/23/13 - 08:48 pm
Rare ...

good humor. I agree, priceless.