Name still needs changing

Recently, our granddaughter required treatment at the former Medical College of Georgia Hospital for her problem. I must admit that I was amazed at how everything has been renamed with the Georgia Regents University logo. Most of the employees were wearing T-shirts with that logo on it. Even the female doctor was wearing one.

It seems to me that things have reached the basement of society since GRU President Ricardo Azziz was put in the position as a puppet for the University System of Georgia Board of Regents. Azziz was brought in to oversee the merging of the two universities in Augusta – Augusta State University and the Medical College of Georgia (which, by the way, was renamed immediately by Azziz to Georgia Health Sciences University).

If you’re thinking that I’m just a sore loser because the new name for the universities doesn’t have “Augusta” in the name, then you are absolutely correct. I don’t like the GRU name. I have family members who graduated from Augusta College, Augusta State and MCG, but because of the puppet Azziz, the Augusta name probably is gone forever at those institutions.

Let’s change the name to the University of Augusta and get rid of Azziz.

Bennie Harbin

Martinez

Lee Benedict
Lee Benedict 10/18/13 - 11:17 pm
Agreed

I agree with Bennie. And oh by the way, wasn't it reported not too long ago that ASU's enrollment numbers declined by quite a bit?

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/19/13 - 05:43 am
One Day It Will Be AU

ASU continues to lose students and has now lost the ROTC program. The campus is being neglected. The medical school campus was rated dead last by the medical students for safety and environment. Azziz has hired Copenhaver's former PR person, but his poor leadership can't be hidden. Azziz created a scandal that rocked the university and set a poor example for employees and students with his personal use of state assets and personnel for a wedding. Former school presidents have spoken privately and publicly about their concerns with Azziz's leadership. It would be a long term wager, but I'd bet the name will be changed to Augusta University one day.

KSL
KSL 10/19/13 - 06:15 am
Azziz has been a disaster.He

Azziz has been a disaster.He needs to go ASAP.

gaflyboy
gaflyboy 10/19/13 - 08:09 am
Results?

Many people despise the GRU name (it is pretty awful), but like other areas of society, changing a name can easily lead to changing purposes as well.

I haven't been on the "Summerville campus" (old AC - ASU) since the merge, but I have browsed the school magazines in MCG (excuse me, GRU) waiting rooms. Other than athletics or campus building improvements, almost every article was about medicine. This is great, but the fear is that the Summerville campus is being absorbed into nothing more than a feeder for the medical school and that other non-medical programs will eventually go away.

I suppose that was the plan all along, but it is sad to see.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/19/13 - 08:15 am
I hope yall are right

But I won't hold my breath...what a waste of money on name changing ...no wonder we are going broke.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 10/19/13 - 09:45 am
It's an awful place now

Not only is Azziz horrible and destructive, he's brought in some truly awful people in to run our lives. I've never before heard the kind of anger coming out of people's mouths these days, even when it could cost them their jobs.

The insult of a name is just the tip of the iceberg. The idea all along was to rip both institutions away from their history and heritage and to transform them into something that has "status" and "standing" despite the stain of being located in a small Southern city.

These jerks from "not around here" would be quite happy to get rid of every single employee who lives in Augusta and is from the South if it could arranged without massive lawsuits. And but for the people who are toughing it out under this oppressive rule, this is a soulless, awful place. The students are like sheep and don't even realize what they have missed.

Darby
Darby 10/19/13 - 10:14 am
Sounds like somebody out there might long for some stability,

foundation, heritage and a sense of purpose.

What they got was Massa Azziz and his determination to "fundamentally change" the way the system works.

Hmmmn?? (Fundamentally change??) Where have I heard that phrase before. Wait, don't tell me... I can get this....

Bizkit
Bizkit 10/19/13 - 03:56 pm
Ahh the proverbial dead

Ahh the proverbial dead horse. I hate it too so I had it stuffed. Now I can beat it at my lea sure without that awful smell. I don't know it has a smell that may not wash off. Carpetbagger Azziz is really too cool for Augusta and a progressive like him just doesn't fit in. I can't imagine he isn't just using this as a launch pad for something else. Most folks in academia are always looking for better opportunities.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 10/19/13 - 06:57 pm
Back in the day...

When we kids on the South Side we would gather up for sale signs from multiple neighborhoods and place them in some "lucky" person's yard...

I wonder if Azziz would understand the message?

Bizkit
Bizkit 10/19/13 - 07:11 pm
A turn about is fair play.

A turn about is fair play. Let's legally change Azziz's name to Augusta. Yep Augusta Caesar Azziz. Catchy no? I bet we can do it for a lot cheaper and we can even give him a transient name in between like Azziz Hates Augusta. Hates makes a good middle name. Maybe Augusta Hates Azziz is more a proper name. Dr. A.H. Azziz. First name Augusta so he would hear it everyday.

shamrock
shamrock 10/21/13 - 01:33 pm
What a great idea

Dr. A.H. Azziz ... what a great idea. If the local media would start using it seriously .... it wouldn't take long for it to catch on, and certainly much faster than that GRU nonsense.

Georgia Regents' hospital plan chosen