News |   Obits |   Sports |   Business |   Opinion |   Things to Do |   Life |   Blogs |   Photos |   Video |   Data |   Jobs |   Homes |   Autos |   Buy/Sell

I suppose I'm a terrorist

I must come forward and admit that I am a terrorist, an anarchist, a far-right-wing wacko, a Tea Party supporter and much more – only President Obama, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi and U.S. Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., haven’t been able to think up any more insulting words.

Just for the record, I am 70 years old; an active assistant volunteer fire chief; a medical first-responder; secretary/treasurer of the special tax commission for my fire district; a member of my church choir; and secretary of the men’s club at my church.

I have been married 47 years; I helped rear two daughters and get them educated through their bachelor degrees; and generally have been a member in good standing in the different communities where I have lived over the years.

But what I don’t understand is why so much hate is thrown at me by the Obama administration because I want to cut wasteful spending, honor the U.S. Constitution and have the debt cut.

Donald D. Garman

McCormick, S.C.

bubbasauce
20573
bubbasauce 10/17/13 - 03:19 am
Yes it is unbelievable what

Yes it is unbelievable what democrats will do to destroy this Country. What a disgrace

habersham100
habersham100 10/17/13 - 03:55 am
Powers of the President of the United States of America

I am in my 79th year on this earth. I remember a lot of things, some of which I'd like to forget. I find no fault in your letter, sir, and I applaud your years of faithful service to family and country. I think, however, that we should "give the devil his due" as my grandmother used to say. Let me hasten to add at this point, that I am not a fan of the current president of the USA, or his administration, such as it is. However, let us put the blame for our shared misery where it belongs.

The Constitution of the United States gives THREE powers to the President:

Three things the president can do without congress are (1) Veto a bill (2) grant pardons for federal offenses (3) call out the national guard to deal with an emergency such as a natural disaster.

None of those things are the source of our current sad state of affairs. So who is? The Congress, sir. Allegedly that's the purpose we had (or should have had) in mind when we elected them. In two years' time, Obama and his cronies will be replaced by someone we hope will do better. The congress-critters, however, most likely have their jobs for life... or however long they'd like to stay up there...

My advice? Check your congressman's voting record. See where the blame really lies...

Respectfully submitted...

deestafford
deestafford 10/17/13 - 05:35 am
The President, the House under Pelosi, and the Senate under Reid

are the major culprits today. We can go back to Wilson, Hoover, FDR, and LBJ as the other primary culprits for creating the entitilement class.

The current president and his cohorts have a disdain for the Constitution. Obama himself has called it a flawed document because it places restrictions on what the government can do. He also does not believe in the absolute truths laid down in our Founding in the Declaration of Independence. He like Wilson believes the restraints placed on the Constitution with the absolute truths of Nature's Law as stated in the Declaration should be lifted by looking at the Constitution as a "living document" that changes with the time for the good of the country. Justice Ginsberg said basically that when she was in South Africa and told an audience that no country today should draft a constitution that used the one of the US as a guide because it restricted the government too much.

Of course "good" would be determined by the "smart" leftists policticians and bureaucrats who have been trained in the political correct schools to know what is "good" for the people who are too stupid to take care of themselves.

myfather15
myfather15 10/17/13 - 05:51 am
Habersham100

You mean to tell me the President can't force bills through without a vote? He can't attack another Country with military power, without approval first? He can't give financial aid to Countries, without approval of Congress? You mean he can't pass a LAW, that overrules people's freedom of religion?

Unfortunately, every one of those are actions he has already TAKEN!! So, yes; if you want to live in a dream world, where the President actually abides by Constitution, you've got a point there. But back here in the REAL WORLD; where we have a President who would like to urinate on the Constitution; I don't think I'm buying your blame republican's speech!!

Do you also know that; a wolf in sheeps clothing, is actually still a wolf?

Respectfully submitted...

deestafford
deestafford 10/17/13 - 06:04 am
If only. If only the Presidents and the Executive Branch

restricted themselves to the duties laid out in the Constitution. Think of how many empty buildings we have have not only in DC but throughout the country. Think of how much more individual freedom and responsibility there would be. Sort of brings a tear to one's eye to think of that Utopia.

ymnbde
ymnbde 10/17/13 - 06:11 am
a strong calm sanity

is the tea party
if we all just remember the basics
as this man reminds us
we, too, shall overcome

ymnbde
ymnbde 10/17/13 - 07:25 am
in honor of Mr. Garmin's excellent letter,

could a liberal answer some questions?
the stated purpose of O'care reduced the ratio of doctors to patients
("giving more people access to health care," the man said)
how can this do no harm?
we currently borrow new money
to pay off old debts, ponzi like
how is this sustainable, and who will be harmed when it collapses?
(these schemes always collapse)
our education system has proven ineffective
except for Davidson and other "magnet" schools
(the other schools are left separate, but certainly not equal)
why shouldn't Georgia, at least, try full school choice?
(it works for rich people)

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 10/17/13 - 08:34 am
"I must come forward and

"I must come forward and admit that I am a terrorist, an anarchist, a far-right-wing wacko, a Tea Party supporter and much more ..."

If your point is the unfairness of being stereotyped, and it is unfair, you have much to talk about with the President and will probably find common ground on how to stop this behavior.

By the way, for the record, Senator John McCain was the first person I heard use the term "wacko bird."

deestafford
deestafford 10/17/13 - 08:48 am
Truth,

If one were writing a college paper and used John McCain as a source for accuracy in a footnote they would lose at least one letter grade for unreliable sourcing.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 10/17/13 - 09:05 am
TRUTH-only problem with your

TRUTH-only problem with your post obumler is as accussed. he hates this conrtry, he hates anyone who would disagrees with him and use the full force of govt against them..i to would say i have a lot in common with the tea party and i am also a christian..that now is also labeled as a terrorist group by your prez..

grouse
grouse 10/17/13 - 09:49 am
Give or take a decade, I have

Give or take a decade, I have almost the same credentials -- except I'm a liberal -- and have had such words through at me from the right. I believe in the Constitution, too, and not the subversion of it by trying to change an upheld law through extortion of the government's finances. This is something the Founders never intended.

chascushman
chascushman 10/17/13 - 09:57 am
"Then you should love the

"Then you should love the president who is a " lying, racist, Marxist, communist, socialist, Muslim, anti-Christ..."
TM, I already knew Obama was a lying, Marxist/communist & socialist but I will have to take your world about being a Muslim and anti-Christ.

chascushman
chascushman 10/17/13 - 10:07 am
" TRUTH-only problem with

" TRUTH-only problem with your post obumler is as accussed. he hates this conrtry, he hates anyone who would disagrees with him and use the full force of govt against them.."
Obama is the product of the communist in the 60s convincing young ignorant white girls into seducing black men into joining the communist party, it worked. Obama is also the product of being mentored for at least 8 years by a communist, America hating, racist, child molester named Franklin Marshall Davis. Obama in his book referred to Davis as 'Frank". Davis left Chicago to head up the communist party in Hawaii that was started by the Russians. Obama cannot help who he is but we do not need such an evil S*B as president.

Gary Ross
Gary Ross 10/17/13 - 10:18 am
Great letter, Donnald

You forgot one thing. You're also considered a "racist" by this immoral administration. But do not be afraid. The pendulum is already swinging back! Be proud of your faith, accomplishments, and patriotism. God is smiling upon you, and all who are maintaing their moral standards through this time of trial.

john
john 10/17/13 - 10:45 am
Payday

Getting paid tomorrow. I will pay some bills and reconcile my checking account. Im clearly an extremist too. How dare I not pay my Visa with my Mastercard?

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 10/17/13 - 11:38 am
way to go john..join us who

way to go john..join us who are haters racist terrorist ...extremist...hey i forgot i've been married 34 years and love my wife..raised 4 kids**i should be deported

clayhill
clayhill 10/17/13 - 12:02 pm
Mr. Garman, I must be a

Mr. Garman, I must be a terrorist too. I must also be a racist because I don't understand Liberals.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 10/17/13 - 05:32 pm
Mr. Garman,

I applaud you and stand with you as an "anarchist" and devout Tea Party member.

Bizkit
Bizkit 10/17/13 - 06:32 pm
Wow he thinks he is a

Wow he thinks he is a terrorist. I thought I was a lesbian but discovered I'd have to be female. I don't think the letter writer or I should give in to this delusional thinking.

Bizkit
Bizkit 10/17/13 - 06:45 pm
Well if you live in the South

Well if you live in the South everbodie knows that just like Gator Boys and Honey Boo Boo we southerners like fried chicken, water melon, and being ignorant toothless racist who hate women. Y'all forgot woman hater too. And to think he's been married so long as a racist, woman hating terrorist. His wife must be a saint. Oh wait I forgot gun totin' and bible totin' too. So this man for 70 years of life and 47 years of marriage has been an ignorant, toothless, bible totin', gun totin', confederate flag totin', racist, woman hating terrorist. I remembered the flag. Wow you may not agree but you have to celebrate a country that tolerates such in the name of freedom. I feel so patriotic. Let's burn an American Flag-we'll use the old Confederate one this time.

Augusta Commission votes 7-0 to raise property taxes

Augusta commissioners broke a seven-year trend Wednesday and agreed 7-0 to raise property taxes by 1.75 mills to cover a deficit and provide employees a small bonus.