Founders saw this coming

This hysteria coming from Democrats over the government shutdown is more than expected. It is as predictable as the sun rising in the east. They will not debate the issues and win the argument with their ideas. Instead, they resort to behavior and language one could witness on a school playground. Again, predictable – “legislative arsonist,” “blatant extortionist” and “people with a bomb strapped to their chest (sic).” “Unhinged.” “Extremist.” “Unstable.” Insane people who “have lost their minds.” What you really are hearing from these malcontents are psychotic projections of their own shortcomings – true psychological nudity.

We are running an annual deficit of nearly $17 trillion and climbing. Our unfunded liabilities such as Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and now Obamacare makes the debt, by one estimation, nearly $90 trillion. There is not enough money in the universe to repay this debt – yet they want more. Always more. In his Oct. 8 press conference, President Obama made the outrageous claim that raising the debt limit ceiling will not increase the debt. Really? Then why raise it? The Treasury takes in well north of $200 billion a month. Our payments on the debt barely total $38 billion. As long as those payments are made, there is no default. It is a purposeful lie that is being told to the American people.

The Founding Fathers had the foresight to know that one day our system of government could be governed by people who are virtueless and without honor. They would no longer protect the Constitution, no longer protect the individual and the individual’s rights, but instead pander to factions and opt to grow and foster an all-powerful, centralized government with unlimited power. The Founders were wise men.

In Federalist Paper 58, James Madison wrote that the House of Representatives should be the body that controls the purse strings: “The House of Representatives cannot only refuse, but they alone can propose, the supplies requisite for the support of government. They, in a word, hold the purse – that powerful instrument by which we behold, in the history of the British Constitution, an infant and humble representation of the people gradually enlarging the sphere of its activity and importance, and finally reducing, as far as it seems to have wished, all the overgrown prerogatives of the other branches of the government. This power over the purse may, in fact, be regarded as the most complete and effectual weapon with which any constitution can arm the immediate representatives of the people, for obtaining a redress of every grievance, and for carrying into effect every just and salutary measure.”

It is way past time for House Speaker John Boehner and the Republican-controlled house to rein in this out-of-control spending – just as the Framers intended. Mr. Obama, the Democrats and, disgustingly enough, some Republicans will disagree. Tough. If Boehner and the Republicans cave, the future of the Republican party will be seriously in doubt. Mr. Obama and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid must be reminded that they are not monarchs. They are part of a governmental system that was designed, with good reason, to be adversarial.

KSL
120535
KSL 10/16/13 - 07:47 pm
Would that he have to!

Would that he have to!

dichotomy
dichotomy 10/16/13 - 08:10 pm
@OJP - "(as long as it isn't

@OJP - "(as long as it isn't done to avert implementation altogether)"

The law was supposed to be implemented for ALL Americans. Giving his supporters exemptions (not delays), which Obama did, and giving Congress exemptions (not delays), which he did when putting Congress under Obamacare was specifically spelled out in the law, essentially nullified the law and absolutely was illegal. Obama should be impeached.

KSL
120535
KSL 10/16/13 - 08:39 pm
I think he will be. But

I think he will be. But convicted? That is another issue. How much does his IRS have on his antagonists?

I was a child when J. Edgar was operating.

Bizkit
Bizkit 10/16/13 - 08:44 pm
Dichot trying to debate with

Dichot trying to debate with those who support Loot and Plunder economics is a waste of time. Anyone who would loot and plunder isn't interested in negotiations or what is best for the country just greedy all about me (sort a like vikings with the looting and plundering) attitude and maintaing the status quo and growth of the gravy train. Now I know there is a downturn in jobs right now, but there are those who can work and don't and are satisfied with the gravy train. Most handicap people nowadays often have a means to overcome the handicap or they function well with it. Handicap is usually in the eye of those who see them that way-they mostly are proud productive citizens. The aged are on Medicare, the young on Medicaid , the handicap mostly work, who are these adults on the govt dole and why does our system encourage generational welfare and maintenance of a poor population? The ACA uses wealth redistribution and basically is setting the stage for the US to be a welfare state like the UK. All those trillions in Obama's budget of spending is all about growing more social programs, wealth redistribution through Obamacare and taxation, and other efforts to build a welfare state. It's a big job and will take a lot of "fundamental change".

carcraft
carcraft 10/16/13 - 08:46 pm
Dichotomy, I agree Obama

Dichotomy, I agree Obama should be impeached, only for denying Americans thier rights before executing them with drones, especially the 16 year old. A clear violation of the INDIVIDUAL CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS! Congress isn't exempted, they just get a 75% subsidy sorta like they are poor people and need government help. And the stupid on the left always complain about the Republicans giving favoritism to the rich!

carcraft
carcraft 10/16/13 - 08:57 pm
TOOT TOOT THE TRAIN IS ON THE

TOOT TOOT THE TRAIN IS ON THE WAY! Cool Obama can't sing up on his own web site, so TOOT TOOT what a HOOT HOOT!!!!

KSL
120535
KSL 10/16/13 - 08:59 pm
Biz

I really appreciate the progress you made from the 60"s. I am certain your father dioes/did as well.

I was not indoctrinated party wise at home. Just values. Then durned if I did not read a conservative book when I was in high school, unknown to my parents. Then danged if I did not fall in love with a person whose mother's car had a Johnson sticker on it. Then danged if 2 or 3 laters I found out he and I agreed politically. Always have, still do.

KSL
120535
KSL 10/16/13 - 09:01 pm
car

His track oil is going to cost him more!

carcraft
carcraft 10/16/13 - 09:05 pm
KSL. To funny!

KSL. To funny!

jack234
jack234 10/16/13 - 09:35 pm
I am so proud that I was able

I am so proud that I was able to catch the president's speech. He timed it right between the two MLB division championship games.
He expressed thanks to both parties for their efforts to end ted cruz's shutdown. As an independent I like to see the Dems and Republicans work together without interference from the tea crowd. I didn't know our president had placed a tax on tea. As an independent I like to see the dem and rhinos sit down at the conference table. I'm sure that Hannity will get over still and Ann will write another book (about 1 per/week now) Rove is due for another book soon. I don't know how they will pay their bills when Hillary becomes our president. Can't wait to see what talking points Hannity ha in store at 10:00. Maybe Detroit will have the game out of reach by then. Well, everyone have a good night. I am going to fix me a cup of tea. I was able to keep my insurance like he said. Thank you Mr. President. Toot! Toot! and good night KSL et.al

OJP
OJP 10/16/13 - 09:41 pm
Please impeach him, y'all. Please!

That'll go well for the GOP... Just as well as this $26 BILLION shutdown did for the GOP.

Fiscally responsible my a--.

KSL
120535
KSL 10/16/13 - 10:00 pm
GO AHEAD

Let us get to the real cost of the petulent's share of the cost of the shut down. Of course we may never see the real costs due to the people who are on the payroll covering for Obama.

KSL
120535
KSL 10/16/13 - 10:34 pm
At least taxpayers were

At least taxpayers were making their payments, weren't they?

carcraft
carcraft 10/16/13 - 10:34 pm
TOOT TOOT CAN'T SIGN ON JUST

TOOT TOOT CAN'T SIGN ON JUST ANOTHER $600 MILLION GONE ROOTIE TOOT TOOT

KSL
120535
KSL 10/16/13 - 10:45 pm
jack

Not seen you bragging about you living in DC and where you were eating. Have you moved?

KSL
120535
KSL 10/16/13 - 10:50 pm
You have commenced to your

You have commenced to your incessant tooting. I want no one to respond to you because you are a plant. You are there for not other reason than to aggravate. Deny that please.

KSL
120535
KSL 10/16/13 - 10:56 pm
You early on let us know you

You early on let us know you were in Washington DC. You have never let us know any connection you have to the CSRA.

Come on, jack234, what is your connection to Augusta?

bubbasauce
20572
bubbasauce 10/17/13 - 12:03 am
I have figured it out,

I have figured it out, jack234 is Lowell Greenbaums son. Ha!

carcraft
carcraft 10/17/13 - 06:22 am
Hay KSL that was me tooting

Hay KSL that was me tooting for Jack??

myfather15
myfather15 10/17/13 - 06:27 am
Well, I tried to have honest debate with GACopprhed;

But as usual, when you call them out; they ignore it. They want to make vague, blanket claims about how this Country is awful and THEY are the only ones can fix it. When asked to provide specifics, so an honest debate can happen; they avoid it!!

myfather15
myfather15 10/17/13 - 06:32 am
My friends!!

I've said this many, many times and will so again right now. Just because someone CLAIMS to be Christian, does not mean they are!!

Just because someone CLAIMS to be an independent, doesn't mean they are!! It's quite obvious this person is no independent!!

But that is a liberal political war tactic!! Pose as the enemy to change them from within!! You must ACT like a Christian and claim that YOUR version of Christianity is more pure and holy!!

You must ACT like an independent and act like YOU are the more moderate, common sense voice of the independents!! Rino's must ACT like true conservatives; telling us THEIR voice is the true voice of reason!! We radical tea partiest, must change our radical position and come more to the center!! Right?

Confusion is their ULTIMATE weapon!! Confuse people to the point they don't even know who they are, then you have already won!!

chascushman
chascushman 10/17/13 - 05:22 pm
I've said this many, many

well said, democrats lie

chascushman
chascushman 10/17/13 - 05:29 pm
"I have figured it out,

"I have figured it out, jack234 is Lowell Greenbaums son. Ha!"
jack ain't no independent.