It is both sad and tragic to watch our country turn into a circus, featuring elephants, donkeys and clowns.
Don't be so wordy in your next letter to the editor. Don't sugar coat it. :)
It's the only answer.
Is right! One term for the Senate & two terms for the House (as their power is much more diluted).
That way, the most any politician could “serve” would be 18 years: 4 in the House, 6 in the Senate and two terms as President.
We also need to eliminate all pensions, except for the office of President (and I’m still thinking about that).
AND make a law that Congress shall pass no law that exempts Congress.
1. Reduce the amount of time and money spent on campaigning.
2. Pretty much eliminate the lobbying (or bribery) industry.
3. Ensure that candidates want to “serve” the people, not just themselves.
4. Stop members from gaining too much influence based solely on their longevity.
5. Eliminate or at least reduce any political motivations from decisions made.
6. Get money out of Washington DC and back into the country where it came from and belongs.
A valid argument is that states should be allowed to elect any representative they want. A valid counter argument is that the electorate can pick representatives that are in line with their values, not just because they recognize a name.
You’re right justthefacts – imagine how quickly the country would straighten out.
An intelligent letter.
And no big fat retirement packages.
The Augusta Chronicle ©2015. All Rights Reserved.