Have you no decency, GOP?

In previous letters to the editor, I generally have tried to present the progressive view on a given subject without being overly partisan. Of course, the positions of the Democrats usually are closer to mine than the Republicans, but that has mostly been incidental.

In fact, I strongly believe that we are better off as a country with a strong, articulate and rational conservative viewpoint as a contrast to the progressive position. Debate improves proposals of both sides.

But in the current crisis, there is only one side – that of the American people. The Affordable Care Act was passed by both houses of Congress and signed into law by President Obama. The Supreme Court ruled it constitutional. The American people ratified it by re-electing Obama rather than Mitt Romney, who made the ACA his major position.

Now, a small group of members in the House of Representatives show that they believe in democracy only when they get their way. They have tried to blackmail the Senate and the executive branch and judicial branches of government by inflicting pain on ordinary people and the entire economy by shutting down the government.

I believe Republican leaders have said they have to kill the ACA now because they think it will work to help people afford health care. I repeat: They want to kill it because they think it will help people!

After numerous cuts to programs that provide the safety net for our most vulnerable, this latest attempt brings me to ask the question that Joseph Welch asked U.S. Sen. Joe McCarthy almost 60 years ago, “Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?”

The events of the next few days will supply the answer.

Andy C. Reese

Augusta

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 10/03/13 - 01:29 pm
General Comment about Obamacare

So, in three years, if Obamacare turns out to be the worst idea in modern times, what then? Will we go back to the way it is now and turn 47 million citizens "out into the street" as far as having insurance? How many millions will be GLAD to be able to go back on the totally free plan of Medicaid? When I think of the people, in my own extended family, that have literally gotten tens and tens of thousands of dollars in medical bills JUST WIPED CLEAR because this damed program!! And all of you conservatives want it to stay as it is??!! Why shouldn't the 47 million citizens who TRULY WANT to contribute to their health insurance, JUST BE PUT on Medicaid!! I don't know about y'all, but I think this system would be fair, BUT IT WOULD smell like the worst oder imaginable!!

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 10/03/13 - 01:30 pm
teacup...where were you

teacup...where were you during the 8 years of bush...heck a movie was made about his assination...and it is obumler who is taking us down ...

Bizkit
Bizkit 10/03/13 - 01:43 pm
Funny how progressives hate

Funny how progressives hate when people point out how communist support the progressive movement stating they have the same ideological goals. But I remember years ago when I supported some Rep I wasn't a Christian then and didn't like the influence they had over the Rep party. I guess you have to take the good with the bad, but if I were president I wouldn't want the Communist Party USA supporting me so avidly like they have Obama repeatedly. Now I would never call the president a communist because I believe he is more like Hugo Chavez and wants to be dictator, but you can't deny the similarities between progressives and communist. Really odd more isn't made of that but I guess people don't care about communist anymore. Course Obama did admit his passion for communism in his youth too-along with smoking lots of dope. But that doesn't make him a communist-no just a pot head. heehee,hee. I bet he smokes medical pot in the oval office-medical pot is legal in DC so he wouldn't be breaking any laws-well except federal law but he ignores those all the time.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 10/03/13 - 01:43 pm
Teacup5560 @ 2:21

"The hate for one man is so deep that they are willing to take the country down. The GOP will not win this one. I don't blame the President "Stand your Ground" the other Presidents didn't have to go through with this, why should he. The GOP need to know not to fight battles that they KNOW they can't win. 41 times they repealed Obamacare 41 times they lost now what part of that can't they understand"

WOW....This commenter and Jack234 need to comment more often!! I can't say that I agree with this completely, BUT there is probably a lot of truth in this!!

Bizkit
Bizkit 10/03/13 - 02:10 pm
Yeah Teacup and Jack are on

Yeah Teacup and Jack are on that Progressive train-toot, toot, toot. I can hear Conductor Obama yelling "All aboard". Hmmm I wonder what this train runs on coal, petroleum, or wind power. They got plenty of wind.

KSL
KSL 10/03/13 - 02:12 pm
Please, no. Incessant claims

Please, no.

Incessant claims to be an independent and excessive tooting. It got old.

KSL
KSL 10/03/13 - 02:16 pm
GACopprhed
GACopprhed 10/03/13 - 02:22 pm
Nocnoc, first, it is amusing

Nocnoc, first, it is amusing to me that you use wikipedia as your source for the definition of progressivism, which even after your looking it up is misspelled. Instead, and as I learned at Augusta State University, Progressivism pertains to progressive, which when looked up, means moving forward. This definition comes from Miriam Webster Dictionary online. That is a real dictionary, whereas wikipedia is WELL know to be edited by anyone, and the entries are often skewed by ignorance or political persuasions, or in the case of Republicans, both. Helping those in need, the sick, the poor, the elderly, those who have little or no education, or work is not socialist, it's CHRISTIAN. It's the RIGHT thing to do. It IS progressive, or MOVING FORWARD.
Insurance companies, for a long time have been unwilling to reduce their prices, even in the face of a deep recession and the fact that they are a primary cause of rising heathcare costs. The Obama administration, stymied by Republicans and lobbyists, wanted to provide a "government" option. This was and is anathema to the medical industry and the insurance industry, who continue to practice price fixing. Yes, there are many insurance companies and doctors and hospitals, but they all charge relatively the same price. Let me give you an example of the excessive charges brought by a local educational hospital. I have reflux and Barrett's esophagus, which at times causes me to be unable to swallow anything. Sometimes, it's a momentary thing and resolves quickly. At other times it will continue for up to 3 days, no food, no water. I was originally diagnosed at this institution, so they have my medical records, now even on computer. After 3 days of no food or water, and with no signs of this easing, I went to the emergency room.
My pulse and blood pressure were taken and i proceeded to wait for 3 hours.When seen, I explained my diagnosis and told them what I needed to ease the spasm. The doctor came into my room, with my records pulled up, asked me two or three questions and left. Shortly a nurse arrived with a single 15 cent nitroglycerin pill. My spasm stopped immediately and I was discharged. So, 5 minutes with a triage nurse, and even less than that with a physician, and just the hospital charge was $3000.00. For a 15 cent pill and 10 minutes of time. Now THAT'S quality care! of their wallets.......
For those of you who scream against "socialized" medicine and say that the countries who have it don't give good care, I say hogwash. I speak DAILY to those in Australia, England, Canada and other countries who have it. I have not heard a single bad comment about it, and when ranked against these countries for quality of care, we don't come near them. We're 46nd in the world and here's the proof:
Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Health_Organization_ranking_of_health...
That is our ranking according to the WHO, which ranks us 38th, just 2 spots above Cuba.
Please go check the articles out, they also show our expenditure per capita. Many of the countries ranked above the "exceptional" (BAH!)
US have "socialized" medicine. Doctors in these countries aren't running away, they are still practicing the profession. Not a SINGLE argument against this or the ACA holds even a teaspoon of water.......

KSL
KSL 10/03/13 - 02:36 pm
I don't suppose the cost of

I don't suppose the cost of your treatment has anything to do with ER's having to treat deadbeats who go there never intending to pay a bill, or the desparate need for tort reform, or the removal of competition, and unnecessary government regulation.

Bizkit
Bizkit 10/03/13 - 03:51 pm
Complain about Wikipedia and

Complain about Wikipedia and then use it for your own argument. I've seen it all. But I agree I don't understand why is such different costs for everything in a hospital because of insurance. At least when you buy a car you can dicker for a good price. I noted the last procedure I had the anesthetist had their own sign off sheet to make sure they got paid independent of anybody else. But you can shop for prices in the medical profession any many areas of the country-find the best deal. Medical-price inflation is the slowest it has been in 50 years because it is becoming more competitive with patients shopping and medical advertisements of lower costs too-says the WallStreet journal. I wish the ACA would have addressed pricing and costs more than their strategy of moving funds around with Medicare and Medicaid. One reason cost have gone up the last 50 years is technology-it's expensive. Then the ratio of specialist to generalist is way off kilter with a need for more generalists. But a European system wouldn't work here-no more than England could adopt our form of federal government.

carcraft
carcraft 10/03/13 - 03:59 pm
Please, please, PLEASE,

Please, please, PLEASE, Gacopperhed, I have repeatly told you why America ranks where it does. In all seriousness do you have a learning disorder? Why discuss this with you? America keeps better statistics and uses the definition of live birth of heart beat and sucking air. Please prove me wrong or quite posting the Micheal Moore garbage!

myfather15
myfather15 10/03/13 - 04:03 pm
Like I said; I'm not going to

Like I said; I'm not going to take my lessons on morals and decency from a group of people who think it's perfectly fine to murder and unborn child because you don't want it.

myfather15
myfather15 10/03/13 - 04:09 pm
Proof from the Huffington

Proof from the Huffington Post!!! Haaaahaaaahaaaaa!!! You gotta love that kind of proff!! You slam wikipedia and then use wikipedia AND the Huffington post of all media outlets, as reference for PROOF.

Nope, I'm sure they are the unbiased truth, no agenda behind them!! I hope you are catching my sarcasm!!

myfather15
myfather15 10/03/13 - 04:11 pm
"I speak DAILY to those in

"I speak DAILY to those in Australia, England, Canada and other countries who have it."

Forgive me if I don't believe this.

myfather15
myfather15 10/03/13 - 04:14 pm
"Doctors in these countries

"Doctors in these countries aren't running away, they are still practicing the profession."

Couple things here; in Cuba, if they aren't running away, it's because it's illegal to run away and if caught they will be imprisoned or killed.

Second; YES, they are running away. I was in the Marine Corps and worked the migrant camps at Guantanamo Bay. There are MANY medical doctors in those camps who have fled Cuba, coming to America to seek freedom. Don't distort the truth to further your agenda!!

carcraft
carcraft 10/03/13 - 04:30 pm
In Cuba criticism of the

In Cuba criticism of the government is a CRIME! When Micheal Moore shows up with government officials what happens? I don't think throw truth about Cuban health care comes out!

ymnbde
ymnbde 10/03/13 - 04:34 pm
oh, gacopperhead, your racism is showing

but you've been going at it all day, so don't feel bad
Australia, England, Canada...
the new codewords of the modern liberal racist
usually said with a wink and a nod... sly smile thrown in
yep, how white are those countries?
as white as the pure winter snow over a polar icecap
"My pulse and blood pressure were taken and i proceeded to wait for 3 hours..."
man, just wait a few months and see how long you wait!
You'll get it then... and epiphanies are free!

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 10/03/13 - 04:45 pm
"I speak DAILY to those in

I suspect that there is zero truth to this statement. Given the lack of credibility of the rest of the statements.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 10/03/13 - 04:51 pm
Have you no decency? This

Have you no decency? This from the party that calls Hassan's terrorist attack "workplace violence", and calls Congress using checks and balances "terrorism." sheesh.

ymnbde
ymnbde 10/03/13 - 05:02 pm
have you no decency, no decency at all?

no, Harry Reid doesn't have any decency at all
BASH: But if you can help one child who has cancer, why wouldn’t you do it?
REID: Why would we want to do that? I have 1,100 people at Nellis Air Force base that are sitting home. They have a few problems of their own. This is — to have someone of your intelligence to suggest such a thing maybe means you’re irresponsible and reckless.

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/03/13 - 06:07 pm
(GACpprhed) "Let me give you

(GACpprhed) "Let me give you an example of the excessive charges brought by a local educational hospital. I have reflux and Barrett's esophagus, which at times causes me to be unable to swallow anything. Sometimes, it's a momentary thing and resolves quickly. At other times it will continue for up to 3 days, no food, no water. I was originally diagnosed at this institution, so they have my medical records, now even on computer. After 3 days of no food or water, and with no signs of this easing, I went to the emergency room.
My pulse and blood pressure were taken and i proceeded to wait for 3 hours. When seen, I explained my diagnosis and told them what I needed to ease the spasm. The doctor came into my room, with my records pulled up, asked me two or three questions and left. Shortly a nurse arrived with a single 15 cent nitroglycerin pill. My spasm stopped immediately and I was discharged"

My question is.....if you have been diagnosed with this condition and I assume you are under the care of a family physician, AND a simple nitroglycerin pill is all that is required to relieve this condition....why has your physician not prescribe this medication for you to have on hand so you don't have to make a trip to the ER after 3 days of no relief. They give these pills to heart patients all the time and are told to carry them around....why not for you too? Something doesn't sound right.

chascushman
chascushman 10/03/13 - 06:47 pm
"Something doesn't sound

"Something doesn't sound right."
well said but you have to understand who you are talking too

Bizkit
Bizkit 10/03/13 - 07:16 pm
He went to the emergency room

He went to the emergency room after 3 days of problems?? Why not call your family physician or your specialist-you would have come out cheaper. I remember when I was kid patients would call my Dad (who was a physician) at 3 am complaining about a problem they've had the last week or so. He was always amazed "so now after a week you finally call me"-and the fact they would admit it in their agony. But he said if he was in pain he'd want someone to help, be focused on him, so he'd get up and make those house calls-yeah a long time ago. He often didn't get paid for his services in a rural area but he didn't care (he loved medicine and the challenge of diagnosing, treating, and helping people).

KSL
KSL 10/03/13 - 07:19 pm
Also

He had a problem and waited 3 days and tben had to go to the ER? He could not get in to see his primary oe the doc covering for him before then.

That sounds like part of the problem we have regarding the high costs of medical charges and the high costs of insurance.

chascushman
chascushman 10/03/13 - 07:20 pm
"Why not call your family

"Why not call your family physician or your specialist-you would have come out cheaper."
Bizkit, liberals think they should have they want when they want it and someone else should pay for it.

KSL
KSL 10/03/13 - 07:28 pm
Great minds, biz

Well, I can'tclaim to be on your level, but we do think the same way, apparently.

KSL
KSL 10/03/13 - 07:35 pm
Biz did ER's have to see

Biz did ER's have to see people with non-critical conditions then? I think not.

They use the system now to their advantage.

carcraft
carcraft 10/03/13 - 08:04 pm
People go to ER all the time

People go to ER all the time with non critical conditions. When I worked in the ER when I was on active duty with the Army, Sunday after noons were. Folks would go to Church, stop at KFC or Mickey D 's then have a picknick while they waited to be seen . That way they didn't have to take time off from work or what ever to sit in a clinic during the week. Most of it was colds, or flu!!

chascushman
chascushman 10/04/13 - 05:35 am
" People go to ER all the

" People go to ER all the time with non critical conditions."
Most likely 90% of them were supporter of the lying communist in the WH.