News |   Obits |   Sports |   Business |   Opinion |   Things to Do |   Life |   Blogs |   Photos |   Video |   Data |   Jobs |   Homes |   Autos |   Buy/Sell

Health care plan ruinous

To get “affordable health care” passed, President Obama and the Democrats likely blackmailed and bought the last votes from the few Democrats who knew it was a bad idea. Now you are about to see health care that is not affordable and is going to wreck the budgets of virtually every American family.

Example: If you decide not to carry insurance you will have to pay a $95 penalty if you are single and $285 for a family, and you will have no insurance in 2014. In 2015 those penalties will increase to $325 if you are single and $975 for your family, and you still will have no insurance!

And it continues to go up every year. In 2016 it will be $695 if you are single and $2,085 for a family.

Read the article in the Sept. 29 Augusta Chronicle (“Are you covered?”). Look at the examples and imagine what your costs would be if you took the median-priced “silver” plan that pays 70 percent of your cost. I compared it to a week I spent at a local hospital in 2009 that cost more than $300,000. I had excellent coverage with my private health care plan, and my share of the bill was slightly over $6,000. If you get a $300,000 hospital bill under the silver “affordable” health care plan, you would own $90,000!

I was lied to. I can’t keep my plan. You can bet I’m voting to get rid of every Democrat I can in 2014 and 2016.

Obama and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid will not even talk to the Republicans about modifying the Affordable Care Act, so please wake up and realize it is the Democrats who are responsible for this abomination of our health care and any government shutdown.

So please, let’s call it what it really is: the Democrat Health Care Plan. Remember that when you vote!

Richard T. Banks

Augusta

carcraft
carcraft 10/01/13 - 12:34 pm
Here is a Cuban hospital for

Here is a Cuban hospital for those who are citizens of Cuba. Political officials and visitors have better care in better facilities. http://www.therealcuba.com/Page10.htm . Here is what is happening in the World of live birth statistics if you are realy interested! http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/276952/infant-mortality-deceptive...

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 10/01/13 - 12:36 pm
Reasonable Salary

And who, pray tell, will define what that "reasonable salary" should be?

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 10/01/13 - 12:37 pm
RHSC @ 12:28

Did I say all of that?? (just kidding) YES, basically that is what I am saying, BUT by reading it from you, your point makes a lot of sence!! I just don't see why we can't come to a system like Canada's and Europe's systems.

Chores calling. Try to get back later.

carcraft
carcraft 10/01/13 - 12:47 pm
Going to medical school, a walk in the park? I think not

Consider this, many Doctors that graduate from medical school will incur one to two $100,000.00 dollars of debt. Now If you screw up, say have a little temper and throw a tantrum, have a bad out come, don't follow through on a patient and get a complaint etc. you can become marked. Doctors working as residents make about $35,000.00/year and have a ton of responsibility. So if they screw up, get bounced from a residency etc. then they still have all that debt and o "high paying" job So you take on the Burden of 12 years of education, the cost of that education and make a paltry salary the last four or five years of that education while putting up with all the cr*p patient's, attending (ie. physician mentors) and others throw at you with NO GUARANTEE That you'll get through. When you do get through you have $100,000.00 to $200,000.00 in debt..Yep just a piece of cake... I have worked in teaching hospitals for most of my 30 years in health care. I have seen Residents (specialists in training) lose it all due to mistakes, attitude, drug addiction etc.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 10/01/13 - 01:19 pm
t-3 so you have NO trouble

t-3 so you have NO trouble with atheletes AND hollywood types getting big salaries but hate doctors.. you said they dont have to go to school..heck i'm glad my drs. went i have had major neck syrgery..and gladly paid my share...having no pain is priceless...they DESERVE every penny they get..

jack234
jack234 10/01/13 - 01:23 pm
Happening now!

President Obama is holding a news conference and telling about all the success stories under Obama Care. How can you not feel good about these people.? I hate you missed this, it will put a lot of minds at ease. Thank you Mr. President for all the time you put into our New Health Plan. God bless you and Hillary when she follows you. Speaking as an independent who will never vote for a republican again. I am keeping my insurance, my family doctor and my specialist. They say they are not going no where. Thank you Mr. President. We report, you decide.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 10/01/13 - 01:27 pm
Some People

Some People are in for a rude awakening when they see they can only afford the bottom of the barrel Obamacare plan. These "Assistants" or "Negotiators" as they are called recieve 20 hours of training to show you how to pick the best coverage for you! Why are they not licensed insurance agents so that they will know exactly what they are dealing with. Do you believe your Police Officers should only have 20 hours of training, how about your Doctors or your EMT's or Firemen. Would you put your life in their hands? If you do, "Get on the Bus Gus!"

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 10/01/13 - 01:31 pm
GACopprhed @ 9:54

"Doctors, for the most part are in their profession for the money, and don't give a hoot about the Hypocratic oath. Insurance companies are evil, pure and simple, they serve no purpose except to take part of your money before giving it to the other side of the blood-sucking relationship, the medical profession"

YOU TELL 'EM!! I wish I could be this eloquent AND spell!!

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 10/01/13 - 01:34 pm
t3-i have reread your 12.17

t3-i have reread your 12.17 post several times...do you really mean what you said..how about if we had no DRS.----jack all the success stories--ARE THEY as RELIABLE AS.. his promises of his healthcare plan that turned out to be totally false according to CBO....aned his signing an executive order prohibiting abortions to win over pro life dims...all these turned out to be false..or how about getting to the bottom of the IRS scandal targeting americans which will not he promised not to let it stand...now he calls it a manufactured crisis..just like bengahzi, fast and furious, NSA snooping...yep i can see where he's believable..

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 10/01/13 - 01:39 pm
jack234 @ 1:23

"President Obama is holding a news conference and telling about all the success stories under Obama Care. How can you not feel good about these people.? I hate you missed this, it will put a lot of minds at ease. Thank you Mr. President for all the time you put into our New Health Plan. God bless you and Hillary when she follows you. Speaking as an independent who will never vote for a republican again. I am keeping my insurance, my family doctor and my specialist. They say they are not going no where. Thank you Mr. President. We report, you decide"

You CAN NOT be for real!! Myfather15 told me that he believes I say things that EVEN I DON'T believe!! If you are for real, you are like The Christian in the lions den!! ONLY A VERY FEW commenters are going to agree with the things you say, BUT bless you for trying!!

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 10/01/13 - 01:40 pm
t-3 drs in it for the

Bizkit
Bizkit 10/01/13 - 01:49 pm
Shoot what fools believe

Shoot what fools believe physicians are just in it for the money is so naive and ignorant it compares to racism. I come from a long line of physicians and none of them were in it for the money-they did and do it to help people. Now some physicians make handsome salaries (specialist average 340k and general practice 186K a year in the US which doesn't sound exorbitant) but they also had the huge costs of an education and continuing education, they have high over head. Most work all the time and rarely take off-they are often workaholics. My father was a physician (type A workaholic) and he often received no payments from some folks but never denied services-he also loaned about everybody in the county money with little return. I attended a medical school for awhile and I realized that being smart enough to make A's isn't enough-you have to love it, be a workaholic, and care about people. Really good doctors are a blessing. Now some doctors have the bedside manner of a sloth but that doesn't mean they don't care. My gastroenterologist finally took a vacation after 20 years of work.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 10/01/13 - 01:58 pm
nofanofobama @ 1:40

"t-3 drs in it for the money...how do you know this?? my wife is an RN thanks to her DRS. GROUP who employ many and take care of many..so how do you feel about athletes and hollywood types??"

FIRST, either HA taught a lot of you or a lot of you taught HA!

Now, to the point. You are correct, some of it is "wealth envy", BUT most of it is a realization that Canada and Europe have a much better monitary aspect of their health care system than our system! There IS JUST TOO many hands in the pot! I am not saying that drs. should do with less help from nurses and aides, I just think THE WHOLE SYSTEM must have some changes from what it is now! Think about this, "Why would it be any more wrong to go to socialized medicine than to go to Obamacare??!!" In my opinion, bureaucrats and insurance companies ARE GOING TO mop up with Obamacare, BUT something must be done so that millions more tax payers can provide health insurance to their families! This is an UNFAIRNESS that has gone on for much TOO LONG!

KSL
KSL 10/01/13 - 02:03 pm
Bull!

Bull!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 10/01/13 - 02:03 pm
Bizkit @ 1:49

"Shoot what fools believe physicians are just in it for the money is so naive and ignorant it compares to racism. I come from a long line of physicians and none of them were in it for the money-they did and do it to help people"

Absolutely no disrespect toward you and your family, BUT do you REALLY believe this statement?? I will give drs. credit for one thing, "They probably DON'T RIP-OFF people as much as the insurance companies!!"

carcraft
carcraft 10/01/13 - 02:04 pm
T3 Too many hands in Health care?

carcraft
carcraft 10/01/13 - 02:08 pm
T3, Yes I believe Bizkit

I have worked at medical centers for thirty years. Doctors education, from under grad to medical school and through a residency is a GRIND. Easier ways to make money. These are some of the best and brightest in America. If they wanted to make money there are a lot of easier ways than spending 12 years getting educated and coming out with $100,000.00 to $200,00.00 in debt!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 10/01/13 - 02:11 pm
carcraft @ 2:04

"Gee I think that bringing in several more layers of Bureaucracy and the IRS will make it just so much better!"

I agree 100%!! I think it makes an absolutely crystal clear case for socialized medicine!! LET THE DEBATE BEGIN!!

carcraft
carcraft 10/01/13 - 02:13 pm
Millions more provided health insurance?

Once again a little bit of a dream! 30 million lacked health insurance before Obama care, per the Congressional Budget Office 30 million will lack health insurance after Obama care!

carcraft
carcraft 10/01/13 - 02:25 pm
T3, you know of course that

T3, you know of course that the IRS has "lost" i.e. can't account for over $67 million in start up funds for Obama care right? Oh my this is going to work out well! Name me and insurance company that lost $67 million that couldn't be accounted for with out some one going to jail and being fired.. balls now in your court! OOOPS my bad, I'm getting as bad as Obama about facts!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 10/01/13 - 02:24 pm
carcraft @ 2:15

"Name me and insurance company that lost $600 million that couldn't be accounted for with out some one going to jail and being fired.. balls now in your court!"

You are right about this and I agree that I don't see how the budget is going to take Obamacare. My FIRM belief is, "If it has been "FAIR" for tens of millions to get Medicaid, THEN IT IS PAST time to do what is right for the millions who want to pay a little for their health insurance!"

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 10/01/13 - 02:29 pm
Europe and Canada

If our Healthcare is so far behind Europe and Canada, then explain to me why so many Europeans and Canadians are coming to the United States for it? How about in all the other socialized nations, why are they coming here for our, in your opinion, substandard healthcare?

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 10/01/13 - 02:30 pm
Obamacare

I'd like to hear what you have to say when you see your Fed Taxes increase by 10, 20 30% to cover the costs of Obamacare and it's subsidies!!!!

carcraft
carcraft 10/01/13 - 02:31 pm
Gee under that logic

T3 under that logic I just want to pay a little and own the latest Corvette. There were ways to do this better but when the Dems had the House, the Senate and Presidency they would not listen to Republican ideas. Obama and Reid won't negotiate with the Repubs. It is their way or the highway. Like I said earlier,30 million with out health care before this monstrosity the CBO says 30 million with out after, we have gained NOTHING, but layers of federal bureaucracy! If this is such a good idea why is Obama out STILL trying to sell it to the American people?

carcraft
carcraft 10/01/13 - 02:33 pm
Other countries are not that great!

Your Chances of dying (consider that this is breast cancer awareness month) of breast cancer in England are twice what they are in the US.

Bizkit
Bizkit 10/01/13 - 02:55 pm
I was a medical researcher

I was a medical researcher for a time, my father a physician, my grandfather a physician, his grandfather a PhD researcher, his grandfather a physician. What is evident is my family line has "some" intelligent genes and that we like to solve problems-how does the human body work or how to fix it. It isn't about money. I could have easily become a physician-I took medical school classes and excelled. But because it isn't about the money I choose the less lucrative PhD and research. I wanted to know how it works so I could really fix it rather than "treat" it. Life isn't about money or fame. Even if I had discovered a cure for cancer I wouldn't have done it for money or fame nor wanted to benefit from it. My God is altruism that foreign to you-progressives keep pleading for everyone else to be altruistic. No one in my family has ever owned a Mercedes. Good golly.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 10/01/13 - 02:41 pm
T3

"If it has been "FAIR" for tens of millions to get Medicaid, THEN IT IS PAST time to do what is right for the millions who want to pay a little for their health insurance!" Where is the money coming from? Check your pockets!!!!

Bizkit
Bizkit 10/01/13 - 02:50 pm
Often what we are seeing in

Often what we are seeing in health disparities between countries is cultural behavioral differences (environment) and their genetics and gene pool. Different genetic diseases have a different incidence in different countries because of such differences in the percentage of gene alleles in the different populations-like cystic fibrosis affects few asians, 1:2000 European Union, and 1:3500 Americans. Risks of different kinds of cancers varies per gene pools and ethnicities. Whether asian, european, hispanic, or african descent there are different cancers that have low and high incidences for each group. America is a melting pot of all ethnicities and cultures so we really have a mixed bag.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 10/01/13 - 03:03 pm
Bizkit @ 2:50

ENGLISH, Bizkit, ENGLISH

Property tax jump OK'd

Augusta commissioners broke a seven-year trend Wednesday and agreed 7-0 to raise property taxes by 1.75 mills to cover a deficit and provide employees a small bonus.