Is this really King's dream?

Regarding Joseph Diggs Sr.’s letter “King’s dream unrealized” (Sept. 2), let me make sure that he realizes that the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. had no dream – he had a nightmare!

Voting should be only for people – white or black – who own land/homes; pay property taxes, school taxes and income taxes; and contribute to the economy, and do not sit on their butts and expect the taxpayers to support them. Freeloaders should have no say-so in what I am expected to pay and support. They are leeches. They should get off their butts and get jobs, support themselves and then vote.

President Obama is a leech himself, and does not represent the majority of taxpaying citizens. The Voting Rights Act was a scheme to buy votes from blacks for the Democrats and circumvent states’ rights – and see what a mess this has caused.

If you want to celebrate the anniversary of Dr. King’s speech then give me the same right to celebrate the birthdays of Robert E. Lee and Jefferson Davis, and have just as much news coverage as this womanizing troublemaker. They were by far greater people than he ever was. If the news media gave half the coverage to the rights and history of whites and Southern heritage as they do blacks, you would hear all kinds of screams of racism. Now who are the racists?

As for Mr. Diggs’ military service that he mentioned, he got paid for it!

As for President George W. Bush and U.S. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas not being at the anniversary celebration of the gut-wrenching speech, God bless them.

Don Turner

Grovetown

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/26/13 - 03:17 pm
HA @ 2:49

"GnipGnop....my head hurts when I try to figure out what a liberal thinks is racist. Best I can figure, their definition of a racist is this:

Racist:- Noun. A person who is white"

That's not fair and it is not true.

specsta
specsta 09/26/13 - 03:23 pm
Poverty and Racism

Racism is entrenched in every fiber of American society. And the sister of racism is wealth-inequality.

The letter writer demands that only land-owners, home-owners, those with enough income to pay taxes, and those who are able to support themselves without aide should have the right to vote. In essence, he is saying that only the folks with money should be allowed to vote.

This statement encompasses two things - class warfare where the poor are condemned for their poverty and the rich are exalted for their wealth; and racist ideology that reflects American history where black citizens were disenfranchised from voting due to poll taxes, literacy tests, etc.

To have the unmitigated gall to tell a group of citizens that their poverty not only means that they must struggle to eat, house and clothe themselves - but must also not be allowed to share in the freedoms of this country is vile and despicable.

It is really easy to look over the masses with an upturned nose when you are ignorant about the struggles that many Americans endure on a daily basis. It's really easy to condemn others for their impoverished state when your bank account is full, when your home has four walls, a roof, doors and windows, when your children can get medicine when sick, when you have never worn shoes with holes in them or have never had to ask for help to eat.

Unless a person has experienced lack and has been in need, they are IGNORANT about hardship and struggle in this country. They have no right to complain about someone who must utilize government aid. They have no right to complain about expanding healthcare or increasing SNAP benefits.

Until a well-off person walks a mile in a poor person's shoes - they need to just be quiet. That person has no intelligent thing to share about poverty. There is a proverb that says "Even a fool is considered to be wise when he remains silent".

myfather15
myfather15 09/26/13 - 03:23 pm
Internationallyunknown

"GNIP - Which race created this whole "race problem?"["]

Well, if you're talking about the racial issues in the United States; the answer would probably be the black African's who captured their own people and had them shipped here to sell because it was a lucrative business. Also, do some DEEP research into who the first black slave owner was in America; you might find it was a BLACK MAN (Anthony Johnson), in the Virginia area.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/26/13 - 03:24 pm
JTF @ 2:29

"The Truth? I don't think you could handle the real truth"

Let me guess, "A Few Good Men with Jack Nicholson."

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/26/13 - 03:37 pm
Bizkit @ 3:58

"(because they don't remember segregation, racial riots, etc.)."

And what exactly started and fueled these race riots?

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/26/13 - 03:44 pm
HA @ 1:14

"How is an honest observation considered "copping an attitude""

OK, two can play that game. You say your observation of the LTE is that it is NOT racist. Then why is it not allowed for me to say that it is racist??

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/26/13 - 03:47 pm
Got to go

The LIBERAL NEWS is coming on TV now. Got to get my fix of the liberals TELLING THE TRUTH.

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/26/13 - 04:03 pm
Inter-Unkwn

Q: Were black people and white people dealt the same hand throughout history?

If by Black you mean African's No, I agree.
Because the's Whites,(Northern Hemisphere ) no longer practice slavery. Only Blacks (Africans) still do.

Slavery has been around 4000++ years likely in Africa before elsewhere.
Europe had it until around 1890's in what were called peasants & property owned Indentured servitude / bond servants.

However, If you mean American Blacks, there hasn't been slavery in the USA since December 6, 1865 and there has been equal rights ++++ in the USA since 1965, 48 years, 3 whole generations.

The free upward mobility ladder is there, free training to climb it is there, and free help to climb it is there. The only problem remaining is the desire and will to climb from the current master.... Uncle Sam.

Which gets back to my Booker T. Washington 1911 quote.
Too many people are living off the problems to want to cure the problems.

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/26/13 - 04:06 pm
t3bledsoe ;-)

You're are really a closet independent.

myfather15
myfather15 09/26/13 - 04:49 pm
I do NOT agree that

I do NOT agree that taxpayers, should be the only ones to vote; that's ridiculous in my opinion. No, taxpayers being the only ones to vote would NOT fix anything. There is only ONE fix to this Country and the worlds problems; and any of you who've read my comments, knows what I believe that is......He is called a Savior!!

Mankind in this generation is uncapable of fixing problems!! They are too busy playing power grab and GREED games!!

If it were not for specsta's constant, blantant comments blaming white people for all the world's ailes, I could guy into their comment above. I HAVE lived the poor life and I'm not far from it now. Until my wife graduates college, we are going to struggle. For a household of 6, we live far below the national poverty line. But you know what? I MAKE IT!! Why? Because I work my BUTT OFF!! If I'm not at my profession, I make money on side jobs. The only government assistance my family is on is Peachcare and that is of course, the children only. THAT will also stop as soon as my wife graduates and becomes a teacher.

So yes, I absolutely buy into the fact that excluding elderly and people with mental disorders, if a person STAYS poor, it's THEIR fault!! In THIS Country, you can certainly work yourself out of poverty and I see people doing it every day because I work the streets!!

internationallyunknown
internationallyunknown 09/26/13 - 04:49 pm
I'm not here to

debate...just speaking my mind. If u wish to debate, we can do such publicly over lunch or dinner.

You feel the way you feel. I'm not here to change that.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 09/26/13 - 04:51 pm
"Angela, it was once like

"Angela,
it was once like that. You had to own land to vote. It did not matter what color you were. Not sure when or why it changed. I need to research it and get back to you."

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 09/26/13 - 05:21 pm
There is something or someone

There is something or someone that feeds this kind of hatred. I am not sure what but I think some of this anger is misplaced. Time and again people harp on welfare but not a peep about corporate welfare. Or the corporations that do not pay their fair share.

Right now the problem is not just the people on public assistance but the men in DC who are threatening to hold the country hostage if they don't get their way even though, as Sen McCain said, the election is over.

So, if the letter writer is a hard worker, and I have no reason to believe otherwise, I would hope that he is equally concerned about what will happen to his savings/investments if the elite, non-welfare, white collar "leeches, free loaders" occupying congress keep up their temper tantrum and throw the US government into default.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 09/26/13 - 05:24 pm
Retraction

I used the word "hatred" and intended to use "anger" instead.
Some may think that is a difference without a distinction but in this case "hatred" is too strong a word.

My apology.

CobaltGeorge
193590
CobaltGeorge 09/26/13 - 05:38 pm
I Think Bob Young

filled in for Austin Rhodes today. He read this entire Letter on the broadcast today and got some real good call in. Not much different than some of the ameba thinking on here.

CobaltGeorge
193590
CobaltGeorge 09/26/13 - 06:11 pm
No TM,

I hate first then turn very racist to individual actions. All races included.
I have many time sat dining with black families that had manners and well behaved children, but at the same time see other tables with loud conversations, laughing loud enough to be heard through out the entire restaurant, children throwing food at each other with the adults supporting their action....hate first, racism follows.

KSL
KSL 09/26/13 - 07:18 pm
Here is a little-known

Here is a little-known tidbit. Martin Luther King, Sr was also familiar with the other side of the bars himself. He would get upset with his wife. Next the po-po would have to pick him up and lock him up.

He had a church in the county I grew up in. I don't know if "spirits" were involved, but if they were, I am pretty sure it wasn't the religious type.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 09/26/13 - 07:45 pm
Certainly would like to make

Certainly would like to make a comment. But alas, I can not. Sean Moores told me to quit having feelings.

mybaskett
mybaskett 09/26/13 - 07:53 pm
Wow!!

This article was hilarious!!!!! Mr.Turner is not happy.

KSL
KSL 09/26/13 - 08:02 pm
Giants, what on earth did you

Giants, what on earth did you do that got you that admonishment?

KSL
KSL 09/26/13 - 08:06 pm
And someone needs to tell

And someone needs to tell another poster to stop being so emotional. It seems that if he feels it to be true, it must be true.

KSL
KSL 09/26/13 - 08:55 pm
Seems that MLK's son did make

Seems that MLK's son did make a better name for himself. WHATEVER.

Bizkit
Bizkit 09/26/13 - 09:29 pm
Gee GAD, let me sing for

Gee GAD, let me sing for you----Feelings, nothing more than feelings, Trying to forget my feelings........ Gosh I'm going to cry. I agree with Mybasket but the article isn't hilarious it is ridiculous restricting voter rights -let's just go back to the Magna Carta. I'm surprised no one has called it "hate" speech. Poverty has risen since the financial crash from 12% to 15% of the general population now live in poverty. During 2007 the poverty rate was highest for hispanics at 15%, then blacks at roughly 10% and whites at 5%, and then in 2010 it was much higher for blacks 27.4%, hispanics 26.6%, asians 12%, and whites 9.9%. The poverty rate is still around 15% and wealth inequality is greater now under Obama policies than before 2007. African-americans have suffered greatly under the Obama administration which is strange since he receives so much support from the african american community.

Bizkit
Bizkit 09/26/13 - 09:44 pm
Racism and wealth inequality

Racism and wealth inequality is a global problem not just the US.

KSL
KSL 09/26/13 - 10:05 pm
biz

People with agendas, not solutions. They makeme sick. They only stir the pot. They are never involved in solutions.

Young Fred
Young Fred 09/26/13 - 10:11 pm
Truth Matters - “Be careful

Truth Matters - “Be careful what you wish for. The Native Americans would be the only legit voters under that rule.”

How trite! The “Native Americans” owned land for just about as long as they could physically hold it. That is until the next bigger/stronger Native American tribe came along, murdered, kidnapped, raped, and enslaved the weaker tribe. This new tribe “owned” the land just long enough until the next bigger stronger tribe came along.

It was a brutal society! Almost as brutal as the history of other societies on certain other large continents.

But what does the truth really matter, Truth Matters?

Young Fred
Young Fred 09/26/13 - 10:20 pm
Giants

I know how you feel. I think most of us have been put into the "hamper" for a cool off period.

It's dang hard not to get agitated when you read the comments from some.

It's like when you say or think, "I wish I knew what was going on in "their" heads." Then you find out and are so incredulous!

You're thinking to yourself, "how can a thinking person come to such a conclusion?" You think "do they go out of their way to ignore certain aspects of our history, just so they can cling to their preconceived circle-jerk views?"

The answer is: who knows and yes.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 09/27/13 - 08:08 am
@KSL 9:02

I hope you know I wouldn't say something like that. Since he's spreading it all over the threads (off topic and I have to remove them anyway), I will tell you that I told him that if he is so tied into a particular topic that he can't post without insulting other commenters, he should take a break and not comment on that story for a while. I do this occasionally so I don't have to block them.

chascushman
chascushman 09/27/13 - 08:22 am
" Racism and wealth

" Racism and wealth inequality is a global problem not just the US."
Bizkit, I disagree for the last 40 yrs. many liberals/democrats and black leaders have poisoned the minds of blacks claiming that most white are racist. This has created a large number of blacks that hate white people.
That is reason there are so many hate crimes by blacks on whites.

Bizkit
Bizkit 09/27/13 - 08:39 am
Wealth inequality is global

Wealth inequality is global and so is racism-like racism towards blacks is on the rise and much higher in Europe than the US. But I agree statistics demonstrate whites are more likely to be assaulted by a black. (40 times more likely to assault a white person-why isn't this discrimination being voiced?

Who tried to burn a bank?

Firefighters and police are investigating after someone set a fire in an Augusta bank over the weekend.