Is this really King's dream?

Regarding Joseph Diggs Sr.’s letter “King’s dream unrealized” (Sept. 2), let me make sure that he realizes that the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. had no dream – he had a nightmare!

Voting should be only for people – white or black – who own land/homes; pay property taxes, school taxes and income taxes; and contribute to the economy, and do not sit on their butts and expect the taxpayers to support them. Freeloaders should have no say-so in what I am expected to pay and support. They are leeches. They should get off their butts and get jobs, support themselves and then vote.

President Obama is a leech himself, and does not represent the majority of taxpaying citizens. The Voting Rights Act was a scheme to buy votes from blacks for the Democrats and circumvent states’ rights – and see what a mess this has caused.

If you want to celebrate the anniversary of Dr. King’s speech then give me the same right to celebrate the birthdays of Robert E. Lee and Jefferson Davis, and have just as much news coverage as this womanizing troublemaker. They were by far greater people than he ever was. If the news media gave half the coverage to the rights and history of whites and Southern heritage as they do blacks, you would hear all kinds of screams of racism. Now who are the racists?

As for Mr. Diggs’ military service that he mentioned, he got paid for it!

As for President George W. Bush and U.S. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas not being at the anniversary celebration of the gut-wrenching speech, God bless them.

Don Turner

Grovetown

specsta
specsta 09/26/13 - 01:37 am
Ummm...this is 2013, Not The 1860's

After reading this letter, I wish that I could build a time machine and send Mr. Turner back to the Civil War days - it seems like he would be a lot happier there.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/26/13 - 06:27 am
That was as constructive as

That was as constructive as usual, Specsta. Keep looking at the past. Can you instead refute a single thing in the letter?

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 09/26/13 - 06:43 am
Wow... I can't believe the

Wow... I can't believe the Chronicle posted this racist letter. Actually Mr. Turner, President Obama DOES represent the majority of taxpaying Americans. We voted for him a 2nd time and would more than likely would vote for him a 3rd time if we had the opportunity. You really need to turn Faux News off and find another source of news to watch.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/26/13 - 07:06 am
When is National White

When is National White American Heritage Month? It seems to be the only race not recognized officially.

localguy55
localguy55 09/26/13 - 07:17 am
I am not sure of the point of

I am not sure of the point of the piece other than to say that nonproducers of this country should not have the right to vote and I do not necessarily disagree. If you do not contribute to the betterment of this country you should not be able to decide the direction.

With that said, Dr. Kings message was for all people, not just black people and that was why his vision was a great one. We have made great strides in race equality in this country and I think Dr. King would be pleased. But when race whores like Jessy Jackson and Al sharpton come out of the wood work to supposedly defend an injustice, all it does is rekindle flames that were on the verge of being extingished.

Is there still pockets of bigotry, yes there is and we may never be able to totally removed from out society, but we must acknowledge the achievements in race relations in our country and not dwell on and blow out of proportion the isolated events that occur from time to time. All it does is open old wounds and promotes animosities.

ymnbde
ymnbde 09/26/13 - 07:30 am
fake, fraudulent, phony, this letter is one of them

this letter seems like a liberals wishful thinking of what conservatives think... my goodness it wasn't well done. not at all, no not at all...

etlinks
19047
etlinks 09/26/13 - 07:32 am
Good letter.

Plain simple truth.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/26/13 - 07:46 am
What's wrong with wanting

What's wrong with wanting only those who have a dog in the fight being able to decide the direction of the country?

Gary Ross
Gary Ross 09/26/13 - 07:47 am
You said what needed to be said!

MLK's anniversary got all kinds of media attention for weeks on end, and his speech was voted #1 (by whom?). The 50th anniversary of the assination of JFK will be here in a few short weeks. A man that did vastly more for America, not just blacks, and gave several speeches that were much better. If JFK doesn't get the attention and respect that MLK did, we'll know for sure that racism is alive and well in this country and it is perpetuated by blacks.

localguy55
localguy55 09/26/13 - 07:49 am
Angela, it was once like

Angela,
it was once like that. You had to own land to vote. It did not matter what color you were. Not sure when or why it changed. I need to research it and get back to you.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/26/13 - 07:54 am
Just seems odd to me that

Just seems odd to me that those who benefit from taxes, but pay none should have a say in how those taxes are levied. Seems like a serious conflict of interest to me.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/26/13 - 08:00 am
I see my 7:06 post got two

I see my 7:06 post got two thumbs down for wanting inclusion for ALL races.....it seems there are some racists still out there.

localguy55
localguy55 09/26/13 - 08:07 am
attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville "

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury. After that, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits with the result the democracy collapses because of the loose fiscal policy ensuing, always to be followed by a dictatorship, then a monarchy."

t3bledsoe 09/26/13 - 08:32 am
Quote from LTE

"Regarding Joseph Diggs Sr.’s letter “King’s dream unrealized” (Sept. 2), let me make sure that he realizes that the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. had no dream – he had a nightmare"

Number one: I believe this letter, as a whole, IS VERY RACIST!!
Number two: I really DON'T understand this first sentence. What nightmare??!!

t3bledsoe 09/26/13 - 08:36 am
Quote from LTE

"Voting should be only for people – white or black – who own land/homes; pay property taxes, school taxes and income taxes; and contribute to the economy"

SOOOO, now we are going to exclude Native Americans, Asian Americans, High schoolers and college students who don't have jobs!!

t3bledsoe 09/26/13 - 08:41 am
Quote from LTE

"and do not sit on their butts and expect the taxpayers to support them. Freeloaders should have no say-so in what I am expected to pay and support. They are leeches"

I agree with the part about leeches, I use this discription quite often. I DO NOT believe these people should be denied the right to vote!!

t3bledsoe 09/26/13 - 08:45 am
Quote from LTE

"They should get off their butts and get jobs, support themselves and then vote"

The illegals who ARE WORKING their butts off, should they be allowed to vote??!! OH.....The answer from Republicans will be a resounding NO because it would increase the Democratic voter base.

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/26/13 - 08:46 am
I beg to differ MJK Jr. was a great man.

He accomplished much for the Black Americans. He did have a great dream.

The problem is best summed up in a Booker T. Washington Quote I came across back in the 1990's while doing some reading.

He warned of people of a certain group of people within the black community in his 1911 book "My Larger Education".

He described them as “problem profiteers”.

QUOTING:
“There is another class of coloured people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Having learned that they are able to make a living out of their troubles, they have grown into the settled habit of advertising their wrongs – partly because they want sympathy and partly because it pays. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs.” (p. 118)

This is where Mr. Kings Dream went wrong,

IT WAS HI-JACKED by Problem Profiteers. aka as Reverends.

t3bledsoe 09/26/13 - 08:50 am
Quote from LTE

"President Obama is a leech himself, and does not represent the majority of taxpaying citizens"

t3bledsoe 09/26/13 - 08:56 am
Quote from LTE

"The Voting Rights Act was a scheme to buy votes from blacks for the Democrats and circumvent states’ rights – and see what a mess this has caused"

VOTING is a country wide right that should be protected under feder law. I am sure, with a name like Voting Rights Act, it must protect the rights OF EVERYONE to vote without fear of discrimination like back in THE DARK AGES in 1950's and 1960's.

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 09/26/13 - 08:56 am
Why don't you go "Starship Troopers" on us

and say no should have citizenship until they've served the state?

t3bledsoe 09/26/13 - 09:04 am
Quote from LTE

"If you want to celebrate the anniversary of Dr. King’s speech then give me the same right to celebrate the birthdays of Robert E. Lee and Jefferson Davis, and have just as much news coverage as this womanizing troublemaker"

I DON'T know about the womanizing. The same was said about President Kennedy. I assume you are angry because there is no federal day off from work for Lee nor Davis. The news coverage "OF THIS TROUBLEMAKER" was because he was carrying on "PEACEFUL" means of rebelion against a VERY HATEFUL South!!

t3bledsoe 09/26/13 - 09:10 am
Quote from LTE

"They were by far greater people than he ever was"

Lee and Davis headed up the blood filled Civil War that the South broke away from The Union. You are compairing national deviders to a man that was willing to give his life for the cause of getting equal rights FOR A WHOLE RACE!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/26/13 - 09:15 am
The news today

I would think Dr King would be sick on his stomach if he read the headlines today....what a waste.

t3bledsoe 09/26/13 - 09:19 am
Quote from LTE

"If the news media gave half the coverage to the rights and history of whites and Southern heritage as they do blacks, you would hear all kinds of screams of racism"

First: I am very guilty of "LEARNING" my history from the news. I see your point that many people do the same, therefore perhaps get a distorted view of how things really are.

Second: Having admitted that, I believe African-Americans have ONLY shared the news media; with other races for the last 45 years. Before that, the news and history books were bending over backwards to include NO ONE but Caucasions.

t3bledsoe 09/26/13 - 09:22 am
Quote from LTE

"Now who are the racists?"

ABSOLUTELY a very, very good question!! This LTE doesn't answer the question as I believe the writer would like!!

t3bledsoe 09/26/13 - 09:25 am
Quote from LTE

"As for President George W. Bush and U.S. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas not being at the anniversary celebration of the gut-wrenching speech, God bless them"

THREE WORDS: "Snubbed and snobbs"

t3bledsoe 09/26/13 - 09:28 am
Commentary

With all due respect to the LTE writer, "I don't see how ANYONE can diffend this LTE!!"

myfather15
myfather15 09/26/13 - 09:40 am
"First, Obama meets your

"First, Obama meets your discription of being a working and tax paying citizen. Where is leech part?? Second, a majority of tax paying citizens VOTED HIM IN twice!!"

Are you sure? Do you truly, deep inside yourself; believe we can still trust our elections 100%? After GWB's first victory and all the voter fraud during Obama's wins?

I DO NOT trust our elections!! It's a sad day!!

myfather15
myfather15 09/26/13 - 09:42 am
"THREE WORDS: "Snubbed and

"THREE WORDS: "Snubbed and snobbs" ["]

What about Dr. Ben Carson? Michael Steele? J.C. Watts? Allen West? Herman Cain? and many more.

Why didn't these men even get an invite to celebrate the speech with the President?

Election Updates

ATLANTA — Now that Georgia Republicans have settled on businessman David Perdue as their nominee for the state's open Senate seat, the real battle begins with a marquee match-up in the ...