Why oppose voter photo ID?

Another charge against photo IDs is that it is difficult for elderly, poor or minorities to travel to obtain this ID. I am required to show photo ID to receive medical care. How can these “denied” voters from rural areas with no medical care in their areas travel to Augusta’s medical facilities for treatment but can’t arrange travel to obtain burdensome free photo ID?

Critics of photo ID requirements say these are not needed by these voters since they don’t have bank accounts; they have no vehicles, so they don’t need drivers’ licenses; they don’t rent cars, don’t go to hotels and don’t get on planes or ships or apply for passports. This “denied” group must be healthy since they apparently never need medical services, although many are elderly.

Jean Bowles

Augusta

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/23/13 - 10:53 am
One instance...really?

Can you show me one instance of a person murdered with a bayonet? How about with a grenade launcher?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/23/13 - 11:00 am
Hmmmm.....speaking of

Hmmmm.....speaking of misread....who said the right to vote is not important?

It's equally strange how many people find the right to keep and bear arms, a right that is actually in the constitution, is not important.

Bizkit
Bizkit 09/23/13 - 11:00 am
Didn't the SCOTUS rule in

Didn't the SCOTUS rule in Crawford vs Marion County that voter ID are constitutional. And now with Shelby County vs Holder that the fed has no jurisdiction over state voting laws in regard to voter ID as well as all the pre clearance. The attorney general can balk all he wants but the supreme court is the final say.

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 09/23/13 - 11:00 am
At some point in the future, the most disenfranchised elderly

voters won't be with us anymore, and there really won't be any good reason why someone competent enough to vote can't also get a photo ID.

Bizkit
Bizkit 09/23/13 - 11:11 am
You have to prove your

You have to prove your identity to be a resident of Georgia, get food stamps, medicare or medicaid, need an ID to buy tobacco or alcohol too. Why would a voter ID be any problem at all is beyond reason?

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/23/13 - 12:08 pm
Quote from LTE

"Photo voter ID laws are treated by liberal media as sinister schemes advocated by right-wing extremists to deny the elderly, poor and minorities voter access"

WOW....Tell us how you REALLY feel!!

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 09/23/13 - 12:10 pm
"Photo voter ID laws are

"Photo voter ID laws are treated by liberal media as sinister schemes advocated by right-wing extremists to deny the elderly, poor and minorities voter access."

Do you think that treatment could be based on the admission by some state and national GOP lawmakers that that is indeed the intent?

Although I do not necessarily fit the demographics listed above in the LTE, I have always shown a photo ID and my Voter Registration card back when the photo was not required. So the ID is not an issue with most people and I would guess most progressives. What is an issue is that some states now require that you can no longer use a particular ID that may have been issued by any state agency. For example, if I need a state ID to get into the Twin Towers in Atlanta, which would never be issued unless one is a state employee with business in that facility; or my official BoE photo ID that allows me access to the central office, common sense says that that ID should suffice for any other transaction requiring a photo ID.

Yet, some states will not allow photo ID's issued by state universities, but a gun permit is acceptable. Making a photo ID a requirement for new registrants is both reasonable and fair. But let's say someone has been a lifelong voter for decades using any type photo ID and now the state prescribes a state issued ID only. You can't tell me that you think a person who has voted for 50 years has all of a sudden become an illegal.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 09/23/13 - 12:11 pm
I would also love to

I would also love to hear/read a defense of states that are shortening the length of early voting days. I suppose that keeps fraudulent voters from voting too early. Or how does one defend limiting the number of precincts in districts that have massive numbers of registered voters; or not allowing high school civics teachers to let students register to vote as a part of their class on citizen responsibility; or not allowing voters still in line when the polls close to still vote? Heck, even the bank takes your deposit if you are in line before closing time!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/23/13 - 12:13 pm
Quote from LTE

"Another charge against photo IDs is that it is difficult for elderly, poor or minorities to travel to obtain this ID"

Not much I can argue about this. If people are able to get about every where else, they can most sertainly get to where ever makes photo ID's.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/23/13 - 12:16 pm
Quote from LTE

"I am required to show photo ID to receive medical care"

I live in Aiken County, and I show my driver's lisence to vote.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/23/13 - 12:18 pm
Early

TruthMatters posted:

I am a poll worker, and I can tell you the main justification for shortening the month-long early voting days is because the number of people voting during early voting is small and does not justify the extra expense of paying us poll workers. You can watch spiderwebs being spun during early voting.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/23/13 - 12:18 pm
Quote from Lte

"How can these “denied” voters from rural areas with no medical care in their areas travel to Augusta’s medical facilities for treatment but can’t arrange travel to obtain burdensome free photo ID"

No arguement needed. Enough said!!

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/23/13 - 12:23 pm
"(No, I am not providing a

"(No, I am not providing a link, because all of you are well-read and this was covered in depth leading up to the 2012 election.) "

Translation. "I just made this up and can't prove a word of it."

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/23/13 - 12:23 pm
Quote from LTE

"Should the American Civil Liberties Union sue all medical facilities as being discriminatory for requiring the insidious and burdensome requirement of a photo ID?"

The reason The ACLU has a legal stand is because FOR DECADES we ALL just had to present our green voter ID's. The ACLU may very well win this arguement!!

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/23/13 - 12:25 pm
"Another charge against photo

Yet they can make it to the polls.....some repeatedly.....interesting.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/23/13 - 12:45 pm
Is there REALLY that much fraud??

When is the last time you heard of a dead person voting??!! The biggest cases of voter fraud was probably around The Civil War!!

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/23/13 - 12:56 pm
t3bledsoe...if you are making

t3bledsoe...if you are making NO effort to verify identity, then you have no way of knowing how much fraud there is.

chascushman
chascushman 09/23/13 - 02:08 pm
"You can't tell me that you

"You can't tell me that you think a person who has voted for 50 years has all of a sudden become an illegal."
TM, no but democrats have a system when a person dies someone else votes for them. A democrat friend of mine said, 'all we need is one person in the voter registration office to issue a replacement for a lost card'. With no photo id it is easy and is being done often.

deestafford
deestafford 09/23/13 - 02:42 pm
Truth Matters, you raise a couple of good points.

Let me try to answer them for you. Some ID cards with pictures on them, such as student ID cards and place of employment ID cards, tell WHO you are. The Photo ID cards the states require tell WHO you are and that you are a RESIDENT of the state.

To use university students as an example. If they were a legal resident of Ohio and going to school at UGA, and assuming the UGA ID card was acceptable identification for voting in GA, they could vote in GA and in their home state of Ohio. A concealed weapons permit is acceptable because you have to be a legal resident of GA to get one. A number of yankees who spend the winter in FL double vote in FL and their home yankee state.

As to people standing in line when the polls close. When it comes time to close the poll a poll work goes and announces who the last person in line and that time is and that person will be the last one to vote. Basically, if you're in line when the bell rings you get to vote.

I, for one, cannot understand why there are such long voting lines in some states. It would appear that the powers that be know how many people vote at each place and should have enough voting machines for that many people. To me it shows stupidity rather than ignorance. I will say that does not seem to be a problem here in Richmond County. The elections people seem to have their act together. I vote at the Aquatics Center and it is always fairly quick.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/23/13 - 02:41 pm
I Now Will Agree With OJP & TS

that there is no substantial evident that voter fraud exist. It is just lies made up by the Stupid, Ignorant, Idiot, uneducated, uninformed Right Wing Trouble makers.

Here's 1 or 2 documented facts that it doesn't exist.

I would have C&P but I think I would have receive flak for the lack of evidence!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/23/13 - 02:43 pm
Sorry

that I couldn't provide 2 or3 more!

specsta
specsta 09/23/13 - 02:49 pm
Voting

"Voter fraud" is a deception concocted by the right-wing. There is no voter fraud in this country. However, there is voter disenfranchisement. There are huge numbers of cases where voters have been denied their right to vote.

Requiring a photo ID is just another strategy by the Right to dismantle free access to the polls. Fewer polling places, eliminating early voting are just additional tactics to suppress voting.

Voting should be one of the simplest things we do as citizens. To put blockades in place to undermine that right is un-American and illegal.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/23/13 - 02:51 pm
Specta...so all of the people

Specta...so all of the people who were arrested for voter fraud don't exist?

Disenfranchisment? Who is denied free access to the polls by requiring an ID? Tell us.....but be careful....you may be insulting people when you say they are too stupid to aquire a free ID.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/23/13 - 02:54 pm
To allow ineligible people to

To allow ineligible people to cast votes is un-American and illegal as well. To make zero effort to ensure a person is eligible makes you just as guilty of breaking that law.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/23/13 - 02:59 pm
CG....you see the denial of

CG....you see the denial of facts is rampant.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/23/13 - 03:01 pm
It seems to me, that if

It seems to me, that if people are equally smart and resourceful, then there would be an equal spread of democrats and republicans that are not able to acquire a free ID card. How does requiring an ID hurt one side more than the other?

allhans
allhans 09/23/13 - 03:12 pm
The only reason I ever saw

The only reason I ever saw slow movement in the line at a poll was when the poll worker and the voter decided to have a nice long chit-chat. Like what kind of hat you will wear to church Sunday and how is Aunt Mary... Some poll workers love to talk. It is frustrating for the other workers who are also waiting....LL will know about this, I would think. ....

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/23/13 - 03:12 pm
Equal

Democrats are not as smart as Republicans, but they are sneakier and more devious, so that makes all equal.

New SafeHomes facility breaks ground

SafeHomes of Augusta broke ground Thursday on a larger facility that will allow the nonprofit agency to house more than twice the number of clients than its current shelter can hold.