Column inspirational

My five children and I have been residents of Augusta all our lives. I had a great upbringing, and I am displaying the same for my children.

I really loved the syndicated column by Walter Williams in The Augusta Chronicle titled “Black households don’t have to stay
poor – save and try, try, try” (Sept. 12). Many black people today give up on their dreams, goals and passions in life because of age; no support from family and friends; low self-esteem; finances; or just plain laziness.

I like to think of myself as being a strong black independent woman with a purpose in this world. I am intelligent and have many talents. My thing is that I can’t seem to figure out my exact purpose or calling, but I’ll stop at nothing until I come to terms with what that is.

Thanks a lot for that article. It was very inspirational and motivational! I will be purchasing a copy of the book Dr. Williams mentioned: The Wealth Choice: Success Secrets of Black Millionaires, by Dennis Kimbro.

I hope to read more columns like this. Thanks, and look to hear more from me. Have a blessed day.

Natovia Jones

Augusta

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 09/22/13 - 01:32 am
Naovia

Also check out the book "A purpose Driven life By Rick Warren. It has helped a lot of people. I hope it helps you like it did me.

deestafford
deestafford 09/22/13 - 07:54 am
Navoia

You will be successful because you want to be and are willing to work hard for what you want. Walter Williams is great. So is Thomas Sowell. I recommend you go to Barnes and Nobel and look at all the books these two black ecomnomists have written on life. I also recommend "Gifted Hands" by Dr. Ben Carson. My wife and I have bought copies of that book and gave to young black children. Dr Williams and Dr Sowell are two of the greatest Americans we have. It's too bad they are shunned by most of the black community because they are conservative and inspire people to pull themselves up rather than depending on the government.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/22/13 - 08:37 am
Quote from LTE

"Many black people today give up on their dreams, goals and passions in life because of age; no support from family and friends; low self-esteem; finances; or just plain laziness"

First: I WANT TO SAY GREAT LTE!!

I do not believe The Black Community has a monopoly on these very bad characteristics!! The over-whelming reason for loss of dreams, goals, and passions is being lost in a sea of unemployment.
As for the personal and character issues, one REALLY can not do anything about age and family support. Absolutly NO REASON to get down on ones-self for these two. Low self-esteem, finances or just plain laziness are all things that something can be done about. FIND A WAY to go back to school!! School IS NOT a silver bullet to success, BUT it can open SOOOO many doors!! Once again, The Black Community has NO MONOPOLY on laziness! Sometimes, laziness can very well be a loss of self-esteem even to the point of being moderately depressed!! There are programs to help in this reguard.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/22/13 - 08:54 am
Quote from LTE

"I like to think of myself as being a strong black independent woman with a purpose in this world."

First: I want to make it very clear that I am not a preacher nor am I trying to pass judgement! That being said, your statement leads me to believe you are a single mom. If this IS NOT the case, then please forgive me for assuming the wrong thing!! I truly believe that polls and statistics prove that two parent house-holds fair better. One of the biggest reasons for this is that there is a spouse to help each other through the tuff pysical and mental bad times!! Again, if I am correct, you may very well be in denial of possibly having depression to a point that you; alone; are not going to get out of untill you get some proffessioal help!!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/22/13 - 08:59 am
Quote from LTE

"My thing is that I can’t seem to figure out my exact purpose or calling, but I’ll stop at nothing until I come to terms with what that is"

Again, I don't mean to sound like a broken record, BUT I have been in the deepest pitts over this very same delima!! Depression help and then school will be an ABSOLUTE BEST start on your quest!!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/22/13 - 09:19 am
Steryotypes

I believe, most unfotunately, The Black Community has steryotypes of the average Caucasion, and The Caucasion Community has them for The Black Community. Untill we get 100% cooperation to get rid of these, this WILL ALWAYS hold BOTH communities back from going as far forward as we can!! I can see where The Black Community can steryotype Caucasions on two sides of the financial fence!! Those being class drop-outs who wear baggy cloths, most of them have this cult type behavior of Gothic practices, AND on the other end going to expensive private schools and graduating universities and a large percentage!!

Caucasion steryotypes of The Black Community are these kids walking around with their pants almost around their knees. Caucasions see this, AND RIGHTFULLY SO, as vulger and absolutely a disgrace to The Black Community!! Caucasions see this as there is NO ADULT supervission what so ever!!

Both Communities are guilty of having TOO, TOO large of a percentage of our people with cable vission or satillight and the house looks like a ROYAL DUMP!! These steryotypes, most unfortunately, will last as long as cruddy members of society live amoungst us!! As long as we have a "live and let live" mentallity, things most probably will not change in our life time!!

I end by saying GOOD LUCK and GOD'S SPEED!!!!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/22/13 - 11:03 am
t3bledsoe

I must admit, I have chastised you a few times in the past but because you just recently have shown the 180° side of you like the comments above, you are far from being as bad as I thought you were. Good comments.

dahreese
dahreese 09/22/13 - 11:36 am
This letter ought to make the

This letter ought to make the "I'm not a racist" feel good.

harley_52
harley_52 09/22/13 - 01:46 pm
LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 09/22/13 - 02:52 pm
You go girl!

So many different lines in my DNA - the only difference in any of us is that someone taught us to follow our dreams and indoing that we had to support ourselves. The children we see everyday that are in trouble have no dreams and no idea how to support themselves. May be you could start with them. Good luck and God bless.

harley_52
harley_52 09/22/13 - 03:20 pm
Walter Williams Is.....

....a fine man for all of us to read and heed, especially blacks who are looking for some direction. Another is Thomas Sowell. Both are superb and have a lot of wisdom to impart. We all benefit by listening to what they have to say.

I am encouraged by Ms. Jones' letter. She has my respect and admiration as does anybody who's willing to listen to the voices of reason and Conservatism instead of the race baiters and those who preach victimhood, negativism, hopelessness, and hatred.

KSL
KSL 09/22/13 - 04:26 pm
harley @ 2:46

Exactly what I thought.

dahreese
dahreese 09/22/13 - 05:32 pm
"So how do you feel?" Seems

"So how do you feel?"

Seems I've hit my targets.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/22/13 - 05:55 pm
dahreese @ 6:32

""So how do you feel?"

Seems I've hit my targets"

AS LONG AS we liberals are in the really small minority, we will NEVER be able to make a good stand when only a very few of us post comments!!

Gage Creed
19456
Gage Creed 09/22/13 - 07:40 pm
How's that keep 'em on the

How's that keep 'em on the plantation mentality working for you dahreese?

I have a feeling Natovia Jones would laugh in your face....

dahreese
dahreese 09/22/13 - 08:40 pm
"I have a feeling Natovia

"I have a feeling Natovia Jones would laugh in your face...."

They also say a hit dog hollers.

And she knows, just like I know that hard work by itself isn't enough.

She'd see straight through your mask.

Not hard to do.

KSL
KSL 09/22/13 - 09:29 pm
dah

You surely do dance around without actually calling soneone bigoted.

Gage Creed
19456
Gage Creed 09/23/13 - 08:07 pm
So tell us great oracle...

So tell us great oracle... just what does it take? BTW... this ain't no mask... it's years and years of hard work in the elements everyday... I'm sure you know all about hard work dahresse... you could sit and watch others do it all day.. SMH