U.K. health service superb

I visited England several weeks ago and underwent emergency surgery. I had the best hospital experience one could imagine, guided by dedicated, efficient staff and doctors whose interest was in my well-being. The emergency-room care was free; no excess paperwork.

It is of interest that scientifically done studies of people living in the United Kingdom show that 65 percent are very favorable toward the care they receive from their National Health Service, and I can see why. The horror stories you hear about the NHS are anecdotal; the data and my experience show otherwise.

I’m a doctor, and I know our so-called health system is an expensive mess.

harley_52
harley_52 09/18/13 - 04:37 pm
You May Be Right, IAD...

Some claim the Commerce Clause allows Congress to tax citizens for whatever purpose they choose. Others disagree. If the power is so broad then the Founding Fathers wrote Communism into the Constitution and that's a step too far for most Americans, including me.

As for the morality argument....what are the limits? Are there any limits? Are we morally bound to provide health care for our family only? Our neighborhood? Our town? State? The U.S. only? What about Mexicans? Syrians? Somalians? Where does it end? How much of our income are we morally obliged to pay for the health care of others? 1%. 10%. 50%. Are we immoral if we choose to feed our own families first?

fedex227
fedex227 09/18/13 - 04:47 pm
KSL

Just curious, what was the response from the person who advised you to have the screening this year and then told you that you don't need this test as frequent?

KSL
KSL 09/18/13 - 05:52 pm
Fed

The doc who told me I could wait was the one who had done the last procedure. But the reason I did not question him was because it was my husband's appointment, a second opinion regarding surgery on my husband. I felt I did not need to encroach on his time when he was only going to get paid for my husband's visit. That occurred over 6 months ago.

A few weeks ago, I saw my primary. Several issues were discussed and the primary was delighted at what good health I am in. Now, a year ago it was the primary who said time for the test, would be now. No mention was made at a recent visit, and frankly I forgot to bring it up. I guess at my age, it is so good to hear you are in perfect health.

The nurse told me to call her if I needed anything. Do you think they will really tell me the reason for the reversal of thought if it is government mandated?

fedex227
fedex227 09/18/13 - 06:03 pm
Roger that KSL,

Glad to hear that your primary was delighted with your good health. Cheers.

KSL
KSL 09/18/13 - 06:46 pm
fedex

Thank you for your most kind comment!

KSL
KSL 09/18/13 - 07:11 pm
Good genes

All of my ancestors live until their 80's or more. Mayflower voyaggers lived to be 96 and 85 or something. Not that genes that far back have not been diluted.

Maybe my family and my husband's has just always have had the right attitude, the right work ethic.

KSL
KSL 09/18/13 - 07:06 pm
Do not know of anyone above

Do not know of anyone above us who worked just 40 hours a week. Know plenty who worked the hours it took to get the results.

mdl1946
mdl1946 09/18/13 - 07:21 pm
Medicare

I don't agree with anybody that says medicare is great ----- I'm paying more for medicare than I ever paid for my ins. thru work and I'm paying more out of pocket and my DR's are getting less for their services and I have to pay more for medicine than I did under my old ins. and my income is less than half it was i was working.

KSL
KSL 09/18/13 - 07:34 pm
The amount they are getting

The amount they are getting is atrocious. The amount insurance companies and Medicare, and I assume Medicaid is being initially charged is atrocious. It is a racket.

KSL
KSL 09/18/13 - 08:55 pm
I am not about to say

I am not about to say Medicare is great.

We paid aboyt a third of my husband's income because we were self employed and victims of pre-existing conditions, despite those had been corrected. I aggree the situation needed fixing. But not the way it supposedly got fixed.

My husband had open heart surgery to fix a birth defect that was heard after he was born, but not heard again until he was in his 50's. Our insurance after surgery cost us enought to pay them back in 2 years. We have paid for health insurance since we were in college. Had we had something like HSA's the whole time, we could afford the best care in the world.

But then, we did not expect health care to be a right anymore than housing or food. It was our responsibility.

JRE
JRE 09/19/13 - 05:33 am
Thank you Dr. Swift for your

Thank you Dr. Swift for your comments. The health care delivery system in this country is a broken mess. The Affordable Care Act has a lot of problems associated with it but we need to focus on fixing the problems with the availability and cost of health care and get away from just the political bickering over Obamacare.

Darby
Darby 09/19/13 - 03:55 pm
"The health care delivery system in this

country is a broken mess."

Yeah, just hurts that in spite of that, it's so much better than anywhere else.

Georgia Regents' hospital plan chosen