U.K. health service superb

I visited England several weeks ago and underwent emergency surgery. I had the best hospital experience one could imagine, guided by dedicated, efficient staff and doctors whose interest was in my well-being. The emergency-room care was free; no excess paperwork.

It is of interest that scientifically done studies of people living in the United Kingdom show that 65 percent are very favorable toward the care they receive from their National Health Service, and I can see why. The horror stories you hear about the NHS are anecdotal; the data and my experience show otherwise.

I’m a doctor, and I know our so-called health system is an expensive mess.

ymnbde
ymnbde 09/18/13 - 05:20 am
"I have seen the future, and it works"

oh, wait... that was a quote from Lincoln Steffens
a journalist (meaning brilliant) who said that about Russia
just after it became communist
the communist party members cared about most Russians, too
at least the healthy conformist ones
the others died by the millions
but the communist party used their useful idiots to hide that
with their own death panels and innefficiencies
for quite a long time
oh well... my bad
anyway, the good Doctor's lack of detail is quite informative

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/18/13 - 05:39 am
Hooray

"I’m a doctor, and I know our so-called health system is an expensive mess"

It is a great day for Obamacare and socialized medicine!!

ymnbde
ymnbde 09/18/13 - 06:27 am
and by the way, YOU'RE A DOCTOR!

do ya think there could have been just a wee bit of preferential treatment?
really, O'care is the equivalent of bleeding with leeches
lots more patients, no more (fewer, actually) doctors
even walmart gets more cashiers when there are more customers
geez

crkgrdn
crkgrdn 09/18/13 - 07:21 am
More anecdotal information

Questions: who paid for your procedure? Are you enrolled in the UK health system? How long were you in the UK? Do you have regular checkups in the UK?
Medical doctors are, for the most part, an interesting group of professionals who assume (and the public supports this) that because they have the prestige of the MD that they automatically become experts in everything else to include,here, the UK health system. What about the other 35% of Britons?

harley_52
harley_52 09/18/13 - 07:44 am
"I’m a doctor....

....and I know our so-called health system is an expensive mess."

"An expensive mess," you say?

I'd like a second opinion.

My goodness, doctor, that's a very unspecific diagnosis, don't you think? When a patient comes to see you for care, do you tell him/her "you're sick?"

Well, as I type this, it's an undisputed and indisputable fact that Obamacare is going to be a far greater "expensive mess" than our previous health care system.

If "expensive mess" is the criteria, we're worse off with Obamacare than without it.

soapy_725
soapy_725 09/18/13 - 07:47 am
ER care is free in the USA. The signs at UH say it the LAW.

ER care is free in the USA. The signs at UH say it the LAW.

soapy_725
soapy_725 09/18/13 - 07:48 am
The ER signs also say you may seen by a contractor? Not U.H.?

The ER signs also say you may seen by a contractor? Not U.H.?

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 09/18/13 - 07:51 am
"Obamacare and socialized medicine..."

Here's the funny part. The most popular part of the U.S. healthcare system is Medicare (remember those Tea Partiers yelling "Keep your hands off our Medicare!"?). Medicare is as close as we get in the U.S. to socialized medicine, a "single payer" system of medical cost payments from taxes. Obamacare retains the private insurance system of medical cost payments, with some low income subsidies. I wonder if 3tb is ready to get rid of Medicare?

soapy_725
soapy_725 09/18/13 - 07:51 am
A contractor whose medical services aren't the liability of U.H.

A contractor whose medical services aren't the liability of U.H.

soapy_725
soapy_725 09/18/13 - 07:52 am
you may be treated by someone who is not an employee of U.H.

you may be treated by someone who is not an employee of U.H.

soapy_725
soapy_725 09/18/13 - 07:53 am
The E.R. Another form of government entertainment. Go & see

The E.R. Another form of government entertainment. Go & see

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 09/18/13 - 08:03 am
Bizkit
Bizkit 09/18/13 - 09:20 am
The title should read

The title should read "England" and not "UK". All the countries have some differences in their universal health care. An idea the UK does that is great is that the govt handles all malpractice lawsuits. The doctor helps patients fill out the forms, since they aren't penalized. Eliminating malpractice for physicians would have a dramatic positive effect on health care. All citizens pay nothing but "Swifty" would have to pay-wonder how much? In the UK it is the PhD that has the prestige and not the MD that receives all the respect.

dichotomy
dichotomy 09/18/13 - 09:36 am
EEL....."(remember those Tea

EEL....."(remember those Tea Partiers yelling "Keep your hands off our Medicare!"?)."

And why was that EEL? Could it be that Medicare is ANOTHER forced down our throat system where they have taken forcibly money from us throughout our entire working lifetime and now are trying to reduce the funding and are complaining that Medicare is financially breaking the country. Yes, I expect some TEA Party people WERE complaining about that. But, the fact is that Medicare IS breaking the country financially and SO WILL OBMAMCARE. The COST of Obamacare has already DOUBLED between the time it was signed into law and now AND IT HAS NOT EVEN BEEN IMPLEMENTED YET.

And Doctor Swift.....I noticed you bragged about your ER treatment but failed to address the long wait times for appointments with specialists, needed surgeries, procedures, and the many denials for procedures like joint replacements and other "old folks" procedures that are, or were, common in this country.

I note that you pointed out the 65% "approval" poll but what about the other 35%? I submit to you that the 65% are the relatively healthy portion of the population and the OTHER 35% ARE THE SICK ONES WHO WERE DELAYED OR DENIED TREATMENT.

carcraft
carcraft 09/18/13 - 09:40 am
I read an article on the UK

I read an article on the UK paper the guardian . The paper quoted a Dr. Kerr, a leading breast cancer specialist. According to Dr. Kerr out comes for treatments in the UK are not tracked. This includes vascular surgery procedures and breast cancer! It appears Dr. Swift is blowing smoke . I have had aquintances who have had very difference experiences than Dr. Swift, including one that would have died if they hadn't returned back to America.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 09/18/13 - 09:48 am
Yeah, Tom, sure.

The fact that you almost certainly were known to be a former medical school department head couldn't have had a thing to do with your excellent and attentive care, or its immediacy.

The last thing the UK NHS wants, top to bottom, is one of America's medical semi-elites running home with tales of woe, doom and gloom about what government mismanagement does to health care.

If you wanted to have some genuine cred about this, perhaps you might have talked with some ordinary Brits who have had to wait 8 months for their emergency bypass surgery or stent placement, or for standard cancer surgeries and/or chemotherapy.

Oh, wait. After that long, they tend to be, well, dead.

Darby
Darby 09/18/13 - 10:15 am
Interesting that the good doctor tossed in the

word, anecdotal. It certainly applies (in spades) in his case.

Wondering why so many American doctors have declared their intentions to abandon the practice of medicine recently?

Darby
Darby 09/18/13 - 10:29 am
Obama promised us that "his" program would

give us George Jetson future with Marcus Welby as our physician.

Instead, we're beginning to realize that we're getting Homer Simpson with Jack Kevorkian on our speed dial.

First, do no harm? Not with Barry OzBama and his band of merry men.

OJP
OJP 09/18/13 - 11:56 am
@t3bledsoe

"Socialized medicine".

I find it almost impossible to believe that someone can still not know the most basic aspects of the healthcare law. Calling it socialized medicine means either (1) you are somehow still woefully ignorant of the law or (2) are not ignorant yet parrot that line for political reasons.

Which is it?

harley_52
harley_52 09/18/13 - 12:11 pm
"Socialized Medicine"

...is what Obamacare is.

Don't blame @t3bledsoe, it was Obama's idea, not his.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 09/18/13 - 12:30 pm
Curious

Are you, Sir a US citizen? Did you pay cash?

Bizkit
Bizkit 09/18/13 - 01:00 pm
What's funny is Dems keep

What's funny is Dems keep touting Rep don't want to insure 45 million folks, don't want to include existing conditions, destroy Medicare, and other ridiculous lies when Obamacare is based on Rep Mitt Romney's plan-intentionally so. Rep were just ticked they had absolutely no say in the law.

harley_52
harley_52 09/18/13 - 01:15 pm
"Rep were just ticked they had absolutely no say in the law."

That's one theory. I've heard it espoused by liberals several other times.

My theory is that they don't like it because they believe it's a bad law. That it's yet another attempt for government to grab a bigger and bigger piece of the American Economy. That medical care to patients will suffer. That the bloated bureaucracy that is the federal government has repeatedly proven its inability to efficiently or effectively manage anything, let alone something as intrusive and as personal as our health care. That our Economy simply cannot afford the additional hundreds of billions of dollars this move toward socialism will cost.

It's fashionable, in some circles, to dismiss the sincere and thoughtful objections as that "Rep were just ticked they had absolutely no say in the law," but I really don't think there's any evidence that it's a fair assessment.

harley_52
harley_52 09/18/13 - 01:21 pm
fedex227
fedex227 09/18/13 - 03:30 pm
"Curious ... Are you, Sir a US citizen? Did you pay cash?"

The NHS and the concept of universal healthcare is difficult for some to understand. While stationed in England I had the chance to experience medical service in the UK firsthand as well (as we were not close to a military facility at the time). They don't ask for a check or cash, they don't ask you for insurance cards, you don't have to fill out a dozen forms just to be seen. You go in, show identification, fill out about a page and a half of forms (mostly medical history), and are treated. Some of the most professional and courteous people I have ever met. I know this is anecdotal as well. But it's just my two cents worth.

And as for the comment, "Are All People 'Entitiled' To Health Care? " In a civilized, Christian society the answer would be ... yeah.

Darby
Darby 09/18/13 - 03:30 pm
"Medicare is as close as we get in the U.S. to

socialized medicine, a "single payer" system of medical cost payments from taxes."
As usual EEL, you are dead wrong again! It's not MediCARE thats reeks of socialism. You are obviously thinking of MediCAID.

Nice try though.....

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 09/18/13 - 03:28 pm
I believe

that the best way to pay for health care is to pick the richest person you hate the most, go crying to momma obama, and have them held responsible for your medical problems. It's nickname is "obamacare".

harley_52
harley_52 09/18/13 - 03:36 pm
"In a civilized, Christian society the answer would be ... yeah.

So, then you're claiming it to be a biblical "entitlement?"

Would you please identify the quote?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 09/18/13 - 04:28 pm
Harley, I would guess that

Harley, I would guess that those who think it is an entitlement would use the "general welfare" clause as the guiding principle?

As for my opinion, no legal entitlement. I do believe however that a moral society would attempt to ensure medical care is available to all, which it is with or without Obamacare. There should be a point though where people who continue self destructive behavior sink or swim on their own.

Edited to add. As a pragmatist, I also look at the long term costs. I believe if we can get people in for regular screenings and check ups, it will cost the taxpayer less in the long run on Medicare and Medicaid payments; things we are already obligated for. If we have to freebie some clinic work up front to save megabucks on the backside, so be it.

I think of it like curing AIDS. I really don't care about those who contract the disease through promiscuity and IV drug use. That is Darwin at work as far as I'm concerned. What I DO care about though is the back breaking cost of this disease if it is not eradicated.

KSL
KSL 09/18/13 - 04:37 pm
There is a history of a

There is a history of a certain type of cancer in my family for which I am advised to have screening for it this year. However the standards evidently have beem relaxed. I am now told I don' need it that frquently. Do not know whether it is because I am now on Medicare or because ocare is kicking in.

Christmas Eve storm possible

ATLANTA - Forecasters say strong storms, some with the potential for isolated tornadoes, are possible over large parts of Georgia on Christmas Eve.