Compensation for smoke?

If former National Football League players can get millions from the NFL for old head injuries, could former musicians be compensated for secondhand tobacco smoke-related injuries or illnesses from performing in bars?

bubbasauce
bubbasauce 09/17/13 - 02:19 am
You are kidding, right?Just

You are kidding, right?Just when you thought you've heard it all. You chose your life just as I have so get a job and quit trying to think of ways to get free money. I have been a pipe welder for 25 years breathing welding fumes and I don't want any handouts from anyone!

deestafford
deestafford 09/17/13 - 04:09 am
I'm with Bubba on this.

One knows the risk when one assumes the job.

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 09/17/13 - 06:34 am
I'd guess they'd have to

I'd guess they'd have to prove they didn't strain their voices by trying to force notes, yell at football games, or such as that. Then they would also have to prove they were around a totally smokeless environment the remaining 16 hours of the days they performed and 24 on the days they didn't perform. No grilling steaks, or camping out where they could be exposed to other sources of smoke. It would be pretty tricky to cover your tracks for all of those other hours for years and years of your life.

mooseye
mooseye 09/17/13 - 07:03 am
Thats like my brother

wanting to sue Mayfields dairy for making their ice cream so good that it has caused him to have health problems by being over weight!
Even the football players knew you get hit in the head every once in a while in full contact football. GMAB

mooseye
mooseye 09/17/13 - 07:05 am
Thats like my brother

I think for there to be a cause for damages, it would have to be something you are exposed to on a job that you had not been informed about.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/17/13 - 07:15 am
Wonders never cease....I

Wonders never cease....I agree with Bod.

CobaltGeorge
202921
CobaltGeorge 09/17/13 - 07:53 am
Strange

Me Too!

Bizkit
42003
Bizkit 09/17/13 - 09:03 am
What happened to "social

What happened to "social justice". LOL. I think the govt should pay for him a lung transplant. That ought to shut him up. Well he will have to show lung damage with spirometry, MRI, and then lung biopsies to see if there is any carbon buildup. Probably a smoker and this is social justice fraud.

deestafford
deestafford 09/17/13 - 09:11 am
Put your hard hats on!

Chunks of the sky are going to fall! Bod has made an excellent point contradictory to his usual liberalism. Is it possible there maybe a crack in the wall as there appears to be with t3?

KSL
KSL 09/17/13 - 09:41 am
My father and my mother were

My father and my mother were smokers. Beside being exposed at home, I andmy siblings got plenty of second hand smoke cooped up in cats. My husband had the same experience. We did not develope the habit nor do we experience health problems attributable to being exposed to second hand smoke. Go figure!

dichotomy
dichotomy 09/17/13 - 09:45 am
Okay, I am agreeing with Bod.

Okay, I am agreeing with Bod. Will someone please check their compass and see if the magnetic poles have reversed or something.

Of course the letter said "could" they compensated? I guess in a country where a woman buys a hot cup of coffee to go, shoves it between her legs, and fiddles with it while driving.....and then wins a lawsuit for damages when the lid pops off and she gets a little scalded.........well, I guess it "could" happen. Common sense no longer applies to ANYTHING in this country.

soapy_725
soapy_725 09/17/13 - 09:47 am
Maybe we can sue God for the pollen count? Auh chu, auh chu.

Maybe we can sue God for the pollen count? Auh chu, auh chu.

KSL
KSL 09/17/13 - 10:02 am
D

That slippery plate that slides, causing all kinds of chaos, continents to break apart, etc?

KSL
KSL 09/17/13 - 10:06 am
I don't watch news media.

Has anyone told the children that despite, and maybe to spite, Al Gore, that the North Pole ice cap has grown and the polar bears are safe?

KSL
KSL 09/17/13 - 10:51 am
Biz

What if the lung comes from a former smoker, but it seems to be an okay lung? And what if the lung comes from a former smoker and it is deemed to be good for a limited time? The recipient needs it immediately.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/17/13 - 10:57 am
Smoking

First: This has got to be the shortest LTE I have ever seen!

My answer to the second-hand smoke is NO they can not be compensated.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/17/13 - 11:02 am
NFL teams / band members

The players in the NFL played for a known amount of teams. The owners have agreed this compensation needs to be given to the players. Bands have probably played in hundreds of bars, so the two situations are not compairable.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/17/13 - 11:05 am
Bands

If, by chance, the bands have played in the same bar for years, in my opinion, they do stand a chance of winning a law suet.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/17/13 - 11:13 am
deestafford @ 9:11

"Is it possible there maybe a crack in the wall as there appears to be with t3?"

OK, I saw my screen name mentioned and I could not pass up the golden opportunity to talk to someone. I have NEVER seen an LTE that was shorter than my responses!! Is anyone as board as I am, I mean there is "just no angle" at arguing today!!

KSL
KSL 09/17/13 - 11:15 am
Bands and smoke

You have to be careful commenting to letters to the editor and posting comments to R&R.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/17/13 - 11:20 am
KSL @ 11:15

"You have to be careful commenting to letters to the editor and posting comments to R&R"

I do that all of the time. Other than arguing with someone, how else am a going to get an argument started?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/17/13 - 12:05 pm
T3....Bands don't get forced

T3....Bands don't get forced to play anywhere. They can always decline.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/17/13 - 12:12 pm
HA @ 12:05

Is that all you have got? I was hoping you, ABOVE ALL THE REST, could find something to argue about! I really don't want to go to my REAL life, but I guess I may not have a choice!

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/17/13 - 01:05 pm
True, KSL...if there's

True, KSL...if there's nothing to argue about, take that as a good thing. I thought liberals loved peace.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/17/13 - 01:23 pm
KSL @ 12:34

"What is wrong with you, bledsoe? Why are you all about arguing and debating? I suggest to you to spend time on learning how to spell"

My "avitar" life is better then my real life; life!!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/17/13 - 01:26 pm
HA @ 1:05

"True, KSL...if there's nothing to argue about, take that as a good thing. I thought liberals loved peace"

We do like peace, BUT for me, it gives me something to do; that I like.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/17/13 - 03:00 pm
To each his own.

To each his own.

Darby
Darby 09/17/13 - 03:25 pm
bledsoe - "Other than arguing with someone,

how else am a(sic) going to get an argument started?"

Off hand, I'd say, just be your usual sweet self.

Darby
Darby 09/17/13 - 03:25 pm
Just wondering....

Is an avitar anything like an avatar?

I can't learn if I don't ask questions.

Darby
Darby 09/17/13 - 03:26 pm
Thumbs up, bledsoe..

A little self-deprecating humor is good for the soul.