Stop calling it autism

Every day we can read stories and studies about autism in newspapers across the country. Autism, meaning self-absorption, was a word used decades ago to describe certain types of autistic behaviors.

However, over the past two decades so much more has been learned about autism that the term no longer fits the illness.

Autism is not a mental disorder, even though psychiatrists and psychologists have chosen to place it in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, the book that describes mental disorders. It was an unfortunate choice, because autism is really a neurodevelopmental and metabolic illness that affects every organ in the body, including the brain.

Many children, once on the spectrum, have recovered from autism with bio-medical treatments. It is first and foremost an immune dysfunction complicated by the person’s inability to fight toxins, viruses, bacteria and parasites. Many of the children suffer from oxidative stress, inflammatory bowel disease and encephalopathy, an inflammation of the brain.

To treat autism properly, we must understand what drives the disease. To stop the epidemic – now affecting one in every 50 children (including one in 31 boys) according to the Centers for Disease Control – we must put an end to the belief that it’s a mental illness. We must attack the environmental causes and repair the physical damage it’s done to our children.

Lastly, to restore good health to our children, we must stop calling it autism.

soldout
soldout 09/10/13 - 02:21 am
NAET

hasn't naet been a help in some cases?

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/10/13 - 07:17 am
This illness

Many people are covinced the root cause is the modern day vaccines that are almost "FORCED" on our kids in order to be admitted to public schools. I would say there must be a common cause due to the fact this illness is ramping up so quickly.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/10/13 - 07:46 am
Yet another reason not to

Yet another reason not to have public schools. They are an abject failure, and suspect in causing autism.

Bulldog
Bulldog 09/10/13 - 07:59 am
A rose by anyother name

The author seems to believe that treatment outcomes will improve if we change the name of the disease process. I suspect that the medical professional who treat this disease probably don't care how you spell the name. This disease like several others that I can think of get a lot of press because well meaning, but ignorant people believe that they have discovered the cause(s). They could probably do much more good by going to med school so they can start fixing the problems that the other professionals are failing to adequately address.

soapy_725
soapy_725 09/10/13 - 08:34 am
"Self Absorption" affects at least 90% of the US population.

"Self Absorption" affects at least 90% of the US population.

soapy_725
soapy_725 09/10/13 - 08:35 am
ME ONLY is called a life style, not an illness. LOL LOL

ME ONLY is called a life style, not an illness. LOL LOL

faithson
faithson 09/10/13 - 08:46 am
no public schools

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/10/13 - 09:25 am
HA @ 7:46

"Yet another reason not to have public schools. They are an abject failure, and suspect in causing autism"

Most people can't afford private schools and the idea of charter schools seems that the jury is still out on this.

I am not a medical professional, therefore I find today a bust at anything thing good to debate. Maybe I will check in later. Maybe tomorrow will be better subjects to debate. Can't help but to think you maybe "DUMBING DOWN" your abilities to debate so you can get mor commenters to "take the bait"!!

amdachel
amdachel 09/10/13 - 10:30 am
Maurine is so right!

Maurine is so right! "Autism" is merely a nice way of categorizing and dismissing what's happening to a generation of children. Autism is described as a disorder that causes "a lack of communication skills and an inability at social interaction." That definition doesn’t come close to the seriousness of the condition. Many of these children (no one has ever found a comparable rate among adults) don't speak. They're still in diapers as teenagers and they require constant supervision. They're sick with seizures, sleep disorders, and bowel disease.

Anne Dachel, Media editor: Age of Autism

amdachel
amdachel 09/10/13 - 10:30 am
During the last 20 years, as

During the last 20 years, as the once rare disorder turned into an epidemic, officials and mainstream medicine have done nothing about it. They continue to call autism a mystery with no known cause or cure. They can't tell a new mother whose baby is developing normally how she can prevent that child from also losing learned skills and regressing into autism by age two. THE ONLY THING doctors are sure of when it comes to autism is that their ever-expanding vaccine schedule isn't to blame. And they have lots of pharma-funded studies to prove it.

Anne Dachel, Media editor: Age of Autism

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/10/13 - 10:38 am
You are right,

You are right, faithson....public schooling has done so much good for the country.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 09/10/13 - 11:13 am
Well, not lately anyway.

But before about 1970, public education was pretty darn good in general.

Obviously, some places were far better that others, but still, overall public edumacation was pretty effective in turning out decently informed young adults with options for their future choices.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 09/10/13 - 11:14 am
Question for Ms. Meleck:

Are you a Scientologist?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/10/13 - 12:34 pm
Let me amend my post. Prior

Let me amend my post. Prior to the formation of the Department of Education, public school was fairly effective.

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 09/10/13 - 12:58 pm
The not so hidden message:

The not so hidden message: Before integration, everything was fine and dandy in the public schools. Don't worry, dozens of segregation academies opened, coincidentally, just when desegregation started so little Johnny and little Suzie didn't have to drink out of the water fountain or touch things after black kids.

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 09/10/13 - 01:02 pm
The only thing wrong wih

The only thing wrong wih public schools is lack of funding and not enough parental involvement.

KSL
KSL 09/10/13 - 01:21 pm
Bod, why do private schools

Bod, why do private schools put out better educated students with fewer dollars spent per student if lack of funding is the problem?

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 09/10/13 - 01:46 pm
It has nothing to do with color

it has everything to do with social promotion and worrying about hurting kids feelings. There are always going to be smarter, faster and more talented people than you. Deal with it. Quit trying to spread the wussification of America around.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/10/13 - 02:00 pm
What is in a name

"Lastly, to restore good health to our children, we must stop calling it autism"

How is changing the name going to go toward a cure??!! I don't think very many people even know that this means "self-absorption". Like the scientests are REALLY going to work at a cure ANY HARDER!!

Speaking of names: DON'T MOST "NORMAL" PEOPLE usually want their names to match their face??!! "Oh what a tangled web we weive when we practice to deceive." Very common sence rule when posters......I mean people stick to it!!!!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/10/13 - 02:07 pm
Thanking the right person

Since the LTE SAID NOTHING ABOUT SCHOOLS, you ALL can thank me for giving this non-debatable LTE a REALLY good debatable twist!! All prase will be greatly appriciated!!!! I win!

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/10/13 - 02:31 pm
"The not so hidden message:

"The not so hidden message: Before integration, everything was fine and dandy in the public schools. "

OMG...the race card? Again?

harley_52
harley_52 09/10/13 - 02:35 pm
"The not so hidden message....

....Before integration, everything was fine and dandy in the public schools."

The race card, eh? Why am I not surprised? Nothing is more "liberal" than calling other people (the ones you disagree with) "racists."

I have a long held theory that public schools went to hell in the late sixties, just about the time all the liberals were protesting in the streets, burning the American flag (and their bras), and spitting on us returning Vietnam vets.

Truth of the matter is that all the problems associated with public schools can be described in one word.....LIBERALISM.

In fact, that one word can be used to describe ALL of the problems American society now faces, including the inability of some posters to spell words with more than two letters, or to write meaningful sentences.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/10/13 - 02:36 pm
I'm glad someone's obsession

I'm glad someone's obsession seems to be dying off. Just justifying my desire for anonymity.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/10/13 - 02:37 pm
harley....I strongly "prase"

harley....I strongly "prase" your 2:35 post.

harley_52
harley_52 09/10/13 - 02:47 pm
"I strongly "prase" your 2:35 post."

Haw, haw, haw....

You may rest assured I wasn't talking about you when pointing to problems spelling, or composing sentences.

But you DO know who I was talking about and probably agree that he helps me make my case.

Darby
Darby 09/10/13 - 03:16 pm
"no public schools

and people wonder why the hard right get such a hard time... think about it, oh yea, that thinkin' thing again. not sayin' that the hard left don't have their own 'unthinking' ideas, just that this one really is over the top."

Yeah - and run-on sentences are really likely to push your cause across the finish line.

Not!

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/10/13 - 03:22 pm
True, Darby. I wonder if

True, Darby. I wonder if public schools still teach to capitalize the first word in a sentence, and the proper use of "don't" v/s "doesn't." One would think that if you are trumping up the importance of public education, that you would make a better effort to articulate it properly.

Darby
Darby 09/10/13 - 03:30 pm
"The only thing wrong wih (sic) public schools

is lack of funding and not enough parental involvement."

Really, Bod, really? That's the ONLY thing wrong with public schools. REALLY?

We hear that same refrain week after week, month after month, year after year. Then we pour more and more cash down that "educational" toilet we call public schooling and get even worse in the way of results.

Why is it that home schooling produces a MUCH better product consistently with "teachers" who are often untrained? And how do they do this, at a cost averaging ten to twenty cents on the dollar compared to government schools?

Anything the government gets its grubby hands on, turns to manure. With the possible exception of the military.

Maybe, if we had more than a handful of teachers who were as dedicated as our military, our kids could learn.

Money certainly IS NOT the answer. Motivation just MIGHT be.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/10/13 - 03:36 pm
Bod....Prove your accusations

Bod....Prove your accusations of racism. Otherwise they are simply that....accusations....with no base. It is old and worn...and to talk of cliche? Good lord. To blame EVERYTHING on racism is beyond cliche. And NO I wasn't there, so YOUR accusation that I believe it was better back then because of segregation is even MORE absurd.

And saying yes sir and yes ma'am is called MANNERS, not racism. I use those phrases often, regardless of the age of the person I'm speaking to, out of respect. I'm sorry that you didn't learn that.

faithson
faithson 09/10/13 - 03:38 pm
So Darb..

my grammar skills are not up to your liking, or anyone else's for that matter. U really think I give a hoot on these forums. I put these comments in the same category as my 'message' comments on my phone, make the point, let the 'grammar' police work out whether my 6th grade teacher would approve, by the way, that nun that taught me 6th grade english would wrap my knuckles for such poor grammar, just sayin' I did at one time 'learn' proper writing skills.

8 horses loose on I-20

Eight horses that got loose from a nearby pasture and briefly wandered along Interstate 20 were safely rounded up Monday afternoon.