Some kids never leave nest

There are more than 22 million adult children still living at home with their parents in the United States alone.

It’s a known fact that more and more adult children come back home or never leave home. A recent study says that nearly 29 percent of adult children ages 25 to 34 still reside with their parents.

Moving back home has enormous and immediate advantages for adult children, but it’s not such a great deal for the parents, and in the long term, it may not be good for the children. They clearly are not financially savvy.

What are the benefits of staying at home? Somebody else pays the bills, worries about the mortgage, cuts the grass, does the laundry and cooks. It’s like having a maid and a butler. Some parents are just too kind to kick out their still-dependent children.

Maintaining a household is an expensive proposition, so everyone living under the same roof needs to carry his or her own weight. Moms and dads will not be around forever to tidy up the house and pay all bills.

Some adult children are living with aging and/or ill parents. Most do not take the time to give care to or help their ill moms or dads. Everything is about them. “I have things to do and places to go,” some adult children probably say. They have forgotten that if it weren’t for their parents, they wouldn’t be here.

My firstborn son often tells me this. He will give me a hug and say, “Mom, thank you for having me.” That will make any mother feel good and appreciated.

My mom is not here now; she is in paradise with our Heavenly Father. I miss her every day.

If your parents are still alive, tell them how much you love and appreciate them before it’s too late.

Lee Chance

Sardis

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 09/07/13 - 04:50 am
Meddling in other people's

Meddling in other people's affairs is one wrong, writing a letter to the editor about it is another. If all you wanted to do is talk about yourself, the last three paragraphs would have sufficed.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/07/13 - 05:10 am
Hmmmm, Palmetto, I agree,

Hmmmm, Palmetto, I agree, it's a tricky thing. I believe a strong family would help their grown children. Times are hard and there's nothing wrong with depending on family instead of government until you are able to get going again.

deestafford
deestafford 09/07/13 - 05:18 am
Birds can't fly if they never leave the nest and develop their

wings. We don't need to raise any more moochers than the liberals already facilitate.

This is not to say their are not times when a child will need to live at home for some really unforeseen reasons and then only for a short time. Living at home can be made too comfortable just as the government has made living on welfare too comfortable.

Fire makes steel stronger. Being on one's own and being responsible for one's self makes a person stronger just as well.

avidreader
avidreader 09/07/13 - 06:56 am
What's In a Word?

The word "most" is statistical. Try the word "many" -- it expresses an opinion.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 09/07/13 - 07:34 am
We don't need to raise any

We don't need to raise any more moochers than the liberals already facilitate.

Consider the source......

localguy55
localguy55 09/07/13 - 07:43 am
Our decisions have caused this

In many other countries children living at home is common. The home is handed down from parent to child, the first born male most of the time, and then it is the first borns responsibility to take care of the parents until death.
Here in our country this practice was common long ago but due to the ability to travel, railroads and highways, the young moved on to seek their fortune.
Now, due to goverment induced destruction of the economy, not only are there no jobs locally but no jobs elsewahere. Kids get an education then return home because of no jobs.
The children of today are not familiar with the concept of taking care of mom and dad. They just return homefrom college, if they are lucky, get some small part time job and act as they did when they were teenagers.
We, the voting public, caused this problem by electing such sorry politicans, especially in recent times. Now we live with the aftermath of our decision.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 09/07/13 - 08:19 am
This subject is too vague.

This subject is too vague. There are different reasons why adult kids live with their parent(s). I'm 41 years old, haven't lived with my folks since I was 18 but my mom would move me back into her home in a heartbeat if I would go for it. She was raised to take care of her man and did a great job of taking care of him and my brothers- it's what she lives for!! Every Sunday she has to make a feast for every one of us and if I even think about skipping a Sunday she hunts me down and gives the famous guilt trip. My view on this is... as long as the adult child is employed, contributing to the household, isn't causing a burden and is WANTED.. then there's nothing wrong with consolidating resources.

chascushman
chascushman 09/07/13 - 08:27 am
"We don't need to raise any

"We don't need to raise any more moochers than the liberals already facilitate.
Consider the source......"
TM, better yet consider the FACTS! The Great Society, liberals/progressives, democrats and black leaders have created this mess.

soapy_725
soapy_725 09/07/13 - 08:46 am
England has no jobs&crale to grave socialism. Kids never leave

England has no jobs&cradle to grave socialism. Kids never leave

soapy_725
soapy_725 09/07/13 - 08:47 am
We are in timed step decline with Great Britain.

We are in timed step decline with Great Britain.

soapy_725
soapy_725 09/07/13 - 08:48 am
Government incentives keeping kids at home. Read people.

Government incentives keeping kids at home. Read people.

faithson
faithson 09/07/13 - 09:09 am
created this mess...

i'm having a very nice time. did my due diligence over the years and the payoff is 'biblical'. I see what some call 'a mess' in the same way I see the butcher making sausage, not something you really wanta see, and watching it being made only makes you wonder how you can eat the stuff.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/07/13 - 09:14 am
To leave or not to leave

That is the 64, 000 dollar question THAT MANY young adults have to answer, especially these days!! Being a parent, I MUST argue in favor of the kids. We parents MUST understand our kids are living IN A MUCH MORE VOLITILE economy than we had to deal with!! If your young adult TRULY, TRULY can not find work, what other alternative do they have??!! We, as parents, MUST help our kids STUDY THE JOB MARKET so they can make a better choice in what to take up in college. I graduated with two, two year degrees. One from a university and one from a technical college. I will give you one guess as to which one got me a reletivly good paying job. I am, IN NO WAY, dissrespecting university degrees, but don't make our kids feel like it is the most horrible thing to get a two year degree!! They can always go to university later when there is a more clear picture of the current job market.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/07/13 - 09:22 am
chascushman @ 9:27

""We don't need to raise any more moochers than the liberals already facilitate.
Consider the source......"
TM, better yet consider the FACTS! The Great Society, liberals/progressives, democrats and black leaders have created this mess"

ARE YOU EVEN A PARENT??!! Kids now days don't need berating for not being able to find a job, ESPECIALLY NOW!! All though I don't advacate they not be held responsible FOR AT LEAST SOMETHING!! You are the parent, so treat them like they are still a young teen if they refuse to DO ANYTHING around the house.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/07/13 - 09:28 am
deestafford @ 6:18

"We don't need to raise any more moochers than the liberals already facilitate"

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PARENTS!!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/07/13 - 09:34 am
Riverman1 @ 6:10

"Hmmmm, Palmetto, I agree, it's a tricky thing. I believe a strong family would help their grown children. Times are hard and there's nothing wrong with depending on family instead of government until you are able to get going again"

NOW, THIS IS THE WAY TO THINK, espcially these days!!

localguy55
localguy55 09/07/13 - 09:41 am
For Faithson

"I see what some call 'a mess' in the same way I see the butcher making sausage, not something you really wanta see, and watching it being made only makes you wonder how you can eat the stuff."

There is this thing called food poisoning. Sanitation is the act of making sure that what you prepare is not compromised by unclean conditions. You may be immuned to the diseases being spread, like typhoid Mary, by this filth, but it is, nontheless, affecting a vast majority of the population and may well become a pandemic.

dichotomy
dichotomy 09/07/13 - 10:51 am
There are SOME who are back

There are SOME who are back home temporarily because of the economy. BUT this was already a prevalent problem BEFORE 2007/2008/2009. There are MANY who are STILL AT HOME for the FREE ROOM AND BOARD, LAUNDRY SERVICE, CABLE TV, and GAS MONEY and it is NOT A BUSH/OBAMA ECONOMY THING. It IS a lazy, inconsiderate, lack of motivation, young folks thing.

In 1989 I had a close friend who had a home on 5 acres out near Appling. Just him and his wife. Next thing you know his daughter leaves her husband and piles back in with 2 kids. A couple of months later his son finishes his 4 year tour in the Air Force and piles back in. This went on for about a year, and one day my friend told me "if I ever get both of them out of the house at the same time I am selling and leaving." A few months later, his daughter started shacking up with her flakey boy friend (still using mom and dad for a baby sitting service)......and his son decided to "visit" his friend in Florida for the summer....you know....the beach bum thing hoping for booze and broads. One day my friend came to work in his new Chevy dually pickup truck, plopped down his retirement papers, and went and picked up his brand new Airstream travel trailer. He put a "fire sale" price on his place in Appling with his cell phone number on the sign. He did not tell either of his kids and he left no forwarding address although he did sign up for a mail forwarding service from some place in Texas. Funny thing though, not one of his kids or grandkids starved to death and both of them seemed to find work and get a place of their own immediately after discovering they were ON THEIR OWN.

I guess being a good parent just depends on your point of view.....whether you are a facilitator or one of those birds who just quits bringing worms back to the nest when the little ones are big enough to fly on their own. Is it a minimal "helping hand", or "total life support" welfare?

With only 63.5% of the eligible population being employed, and only 53% of the population paying ALL of the bills, it's time to kick them out and tell the "GET A JOB". Yes, maybe they can't get that $75,000 a year Marketing position right now.....but I think I saw a Help Wanted sign up at McDonalds and THAT IS A START. Maybe if they jerk hamburgers for a year or so they will get enough experience to know how to MARKET fast food and can get that better job.

deestafford
deestafford 09/07/13 - 12:27 pm
One of the problems is some of the children think they should

come right out of school and have within a short period of time the same living standards as it took their parents decades to achieve.

If a child can't afford to have a place of their own then they should find some friends of theirs WHO ALSO HAVE A JOB and pool their resources to have a place to live and something to eat. They may even have to share transportation.

Above all they should not have children of their own or start a family by getting married until they can afford it!

I believe if parents have raised their children well the children should be chomping at the bit to leave the nest and use their God given talents and the work ethic instilled in them by their parents to make it on their own. Self reliance is one of the greatest gifts a parent can give their children.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 09/07/13 - 12:32 pm
Big question

dicho - WHERE did the father get all that money from ?????

corgimom
corgimom 09/08/13 - 04:38 am
It used to be common and

It used to be common and normal for adult children to live with their parents until they were married. And they weren't dysfunctional.

This idea that a young adult MUST leave home is relatively new.

If families want to do it, great. If they don't want to do it, great. But I foresee it happening more and more.

As for the idea that parents would continue to do the work and pay the bills- that's the parents' fault, and they shouldn't complain when it happens.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 09/09/13 - 03:35 pm
I agree with corgmom's 5:38am

I agree with corgmom's 5:38am comment. It used to be that many generations lived in the same household, for example in agricultural societies it could be a very helpful and necessary arrangement for their survival. Each family member contributed his or her own skills to the benefit of the family and this was not exclusive to agricultural societies. Every family has unique dynamics. Families do what is necessary to survive and hopefully, thrive.

Stormwater fee to fund Columbia County repairs