Theater policy is nonsense

As an Army veteran and retiree, I was shocked when my 17-year-old son (two months from 18) told me that a certain movie theater in Augusta does not let anyone younger than 18 watch a movie without a guardian 21 or older after 9 p.m. – and this includes rated PG-13 movies!

I entered the Army at 17 (which you can still do), and served at Fort Gordon as a 17-year-old. You can serve in combat in Iraq and Afghanistan at 17 years old. The management staff at the theater stood by this policy firmly, and had no idea that one could serve at 17.

I am shocked and a little upset at the American public’s lack of regard for the military and sacrifices that are made. What happened to common sense? By the way, my son wanted to watch Planes, which as far as I know is for small children. He will be 18 in two months! The theater manager told me – either with absolute sarcasm or utter lack of common sense – that I could come to the movies and watch Planes with my adult son.

Is this liberalism gone bad or maybe conservatism taken to the extreme? Let’s use common sense!

Michael Ferrera

Augusta

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 09/01/13 - 06:45 am
How about neither?

You obviously talked to the manager. Did you ask him why they had the policy? Possibly they've had groups of unruly teens that were unsupervised? Talking, cell phones, making out, any number of issues that could bother other theater goers? I haven't been to a theater in ages, since I'm a cheapskate and refuse to pay those kind of prices, but have heard friends complain of too much talking and such during movies. It's just speculation but I doubt they just created the policy for the heck of it and run the risk of losing ticket sales.

avidreader
avidreader 09/01/13 - 08:14 am
Your Comparison?

I understand your point -- If one is old enough to die in military combat, then one is old enough to be exempt from rules that apply to teenagers. However, maybe we should raise the enlistment age instead of attempting to justify skirting the teenager rules.

I am sure that your son is a polite, well-mannered child, but as Bodhisvattva comments, "Possibly they've had groups of unruly teens that were unsupervised? Talking, cell phones, making out, any number of issues that could bother other theater goers?" If I were a betting man, I'd say this comment stings from reality. Rules like this (set by the theater) are implemented for a reason.

It's tough being seventeen, but the good kids will just have to suffer through this annoying age and pay a price for all of their wayward peers who set the bar for unfair rules.

Life isn't fair. We all have to deal with it from time-to-time.

soapy_725
soapy_725 09/01/13 - 09:35 am
He said his son was an adult. Johnny Football is a 20yr old kid

He said his son was an adult. Johnny Football is a 20yr old kid

soapy_725
soapy_725 09/01/13 - 09:36 am
Old enough to die on the battle field, but not in prison.

Old enough to die on the battle field, but not in prison.

soapy_725
soapy_725 09/01/13 - 09:37 am
You can think your evil beast of a guvmit for the rules. Adults?

You can think your evil beast of a guvmit for the rules. Adults?

soapy_725
soapy_725 09/01/13 - 09:38 am
Personal responsibility transcends age. Grow up.

Personal responsibility transcends age. Grow up.

soapy_725
soapy_725 09/01/13 - 09:39 am
17 military service requires parents signature. Abortion, NOT.

17 military service requires parents signature. Abortion, NOT.

soapy_725
soapy_725 09/01/13 - 09:40 am
Can't buy airplane glue. Can buy abortion pills. Thanks guvmit

Can't buy airplane glue. Can buy abortion pills. Thanks guvmit

ymnbde
ymnbde 09/01/13 - 10:13 am
the military is supervised quite well

and the behavior standards are enforced quite well
however, the behavior of these little 17 year old cretins at the movies
is not
the last time (the absolute last time) i ever went to a movie
several of them were playing chase, running and laughing, yes, a game of chase
in the theatre
and management could do nothing
movies are generally quite bad anyway
kind of like some reasoning skills

dichotomy
dichotomy 09/01/13 - 02:55 pm
The last time I was in a

The last time I was in a movie theater a lot of the "teens" behaviors were the best excuse I have seen for getting a quality silencer. If you do it during a loud scene nobody will notice. Just kidding....sort of .

The management cannot, or will not, control them and if you say anything to them directly you've got a fight, stabbing, or shooting on your hands. Theaters are not worth the trouble, the danger, or the expense now that the "latest" in the theaters come out on pay for view or dvd in a month or so.

And it's not just the 17 and below crowd. Seems that even a lot of early 20 somethings don't yet have their fully developed adult brain. You know....with the part that handles civilized behavior and consideration for others.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/01/13 - 06:46 pm
If Bob Is Right Why This Rule Was Implemented,

" Possibly they've had groups of unruly teens that were unsupervised? Talking, cell phones, making out, any number of issues that could bother other theater goers?"

I guess you haven't learned by now that this is the way the liberal mind solves any problems.

What is the correct way to handle a issue like this would be a VERY Large Sign at the entrance that states.."Any paying customer who violates the rules of NO Talking, NO cell phones, No making out, or any behavior conduct that could bother other theater goers "WILL" be immediately removed and kicked out into street.

I know ACLU would be there in less than an hour.

I guess now they will have to show a Picture ID to get into the movies.

gargoyle
gargoyle 09/01/13 - 07:03 pm
Cobalt there was no sign

Cobalt there was no sign needed to get thrown out on your head for being disruptive no matter what age the person a few years ago. Rules, Rules and more Rules but no one can address the real problem.

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/01/13 - 08:49 pm
Is is call Curfew in GA.

Maybe you should read up on GA Minor Curfew laws.

Typical Curfew hours are 11:00 p.m. on any Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday until 6:00 a.m. on the following day.

11:59 p.m. on any Friday or Saturday until 6:00 a.m. on the following day.

As parent you will be held responsible.... If you are gonna live here learn the laws.

Here is a starting place so you will know about GA JD laws:

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/01/13 - 10:38 pm
Chill

Letter writer Michael Ferrera wrote:

Don't be shocked, Michael. Just tell your son to take a chill pill and wait two more months. Then he will be an adult and can watch these movies by himself. No guardian required.

Young Fred
Young Fred 09/02/13 - 12:04 am
I can clearly see both sides

I can clearly see both sides of this issue. Perhaps the proper response to this situation would be making exceptions for those carrying military ID's?

corgimom
corgimom 09/02/13 - 03:29 am
I think your minor son will

I think your minor son will cope just fine.

What a ridiculous thing to be upset about. If you don't like their policies, go to another theater.

And what you did at 17, Mr. Ferrara, is irrelevant. A theater is private property, they can make all the rules they want, and it has nothing to do with joining the Army.

Darby
Darby 09/02/13 - 03:44 pm
My first clue that the writer didn't have

one himself was the fact that he has no idea as to what constitutes liberalism or conservatism.

As mentioned already, a theater is a private business. They are free to admit or refuse admittance to anyone they choose.

What is this anyway... the latest variation on the theme, "If they're old enough to die for their country...... blah, blah, blah?"

While we're on the subject, I'm betting that if your son had shown up in military uniform, no one would have challenged him.

Buy the DVD and watch at home with your son.

BTW - If it fits into either "box", the right to control who you do business with would fall into the conservative category.