Purge race references in city votes

I was reading the editorial page of The Augusta Chronicle on Aug. 27 and the editorial “One Tuff cookie” – about the front-office worker in Decatur who encouraged a potential school shootee to surrender peacefully – when I came across this sentence: “There can be no doubt that her calm compassion and empathy extinguished a blaze that could have raged out of control.”

For some reason, that brought me to past reporting by The Chronicle on the Augusta Commission. And I wondered how the term “voted along racial lines” inflamed a blaze in Augusta. Does The Chronicle inflame Augusta using terminology, be it true or not, such as “voted along racial lines”?

My challenge to The Chronicle, and all other printed media in Richmond and Columbia counties, is not to report voting based upon race. My challenge is to report numbers only – “six yes vs. four no,” for example – without mention of race. Also, do not report which commissioner voted yes or no because readers will associate race by name. Just report numbers yes/no. I know commissioners will not like that reporting system because it does nothing for their re-election vote. But we the people make those decisions.

I believe The Chronicle’s calm compassion and empathy might reduce the blaze and embers that burn in Augusta.

Ray Brown

Grovetown

deestafford
deestafford 09/01/13 - 08:47 am
For one

I want to know how each commissioner voted so they can be held accountable for their actions. Race identification wouldn't be pertinent if it were not the fly in the ointment so many times with being black more important than doing what's right. Of course, they have to vote the way they think/feel is best for those who put them in office. It sort of works its way from the ground up. For the most part they are reflecting the attitude of their voters.

soapy_725
soapy_725 09/01/13 - 09:26 am
True DEE. The whole show reflects ARC constituents.

True DEE. The whole show reflects ARC constituents.

soapy_725
soapy_725 09/01/13 - 09:27 am
True representative guvmit in ARC. A lot of trash, few treasures

True representative guvmit in ARC. A lot of trash, few treasures

soapy_725
soapy_725 09/01/13 - 09:28 am
Guvmit of & by the people has always been a joke. ARC ARC

Guvmit of & by the people has always been a joke. ARC ARC

dichotomy
dichotomy 09/01/13 - 02:02 pm
I ESPECIALLY want to know BY

I ESPECIALLY want to know BY NAME how each commissioner voted.

In fact, I get infuriated when the Chronicle states something to the effect of "name 1, name 2, name 3, and name 4, voted for the measure while 4 commissioners voted against it, one abstained, and one was absent".

I WANT A BY NAME ACCOUNTING OF EVERY VOTE FOR, EVERY VOTE AGAINST, AND A BY NAME REPORT OF WHO WASN'T THERE OR WHO ABSTAINED. In other words, for every vote the commission makes I want a 10 name report, 11 if the mayor was involved. That is the only way a citizen can judge the performance of their commissioners.....A BY NAME ACCOUNTING OF EACH AND EVERY VOTE, ABSENCE, ABSTENTION, etc.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 09/01/13 - 09:54 pm
"Race identification wouldn't

"Race identification wouldn't be pertinent if it were not the fly in the ointment so many times with being black more important than doing what's right."

This statement is part of the problem in this community. The belief that only black elected officials vote with a racial bias is reinforced by the newspaper each time it accentuates the vote according to race. If there are 10 commissioners, five white and five black, and if the five black voted together, so did the whites, with the exception of an abstention.
Obviously the goal for all officials should be to vote the conviction of their constituents in the context of the larger good for the entire community.

Aside from that, I want to know who voted yes or no, but I don't need the Chronicle telling me what race the voter is. I already know their race. By making race a part of the printed story the paper seems to infer that there is something wrong with the way a commissioner voted.

The letter writer has a valid point in suggesting the paper dispense with this practice unless it is germane to the story. Most times it is not and only serves to inflame already strained relations.

corgimom
corgimom 09/04/13 - 04:10 am
When the AC says the

When the AC says the commissioners voted along racial lines, what are they saying that isn't true?

Grad rates show improvement by local school systems

Graduation rates in both Richmond and Columbia counties followed the statewide trend of slow and steady increases in 2014, although progress in individual schools varied greatly.