Many questions left to ask

In response to Jeff Miller’s Aug. 21 letter “Science is mankind’s savior,” I have a few questions:

Why does he respond with a flip answer to “Where do your morals come from?” The obvious requirement is to respond with the actual instigation of the morals. What does science say morals are, where they come from and how are they measured?

He makes the claim “Prayers never work.” How would he know? Has he or science ever been able to know every prayer said and whether it was answered? Studies have been done in hospitals where the patients never knew they were being prayed for, but the ones who were prayed for had a better healing rate than those who weren’t prayed for. Statistically, that makes a circumstantial case for the efficacy of prayer.

Mr. Miller says God wants women to be second-class citizens. This time he’s the one taking Scripture out of cultural context. Hasn’t he read about Deborah, the fourth judge of Israel (Judges 4:4)? She is said to be the leader of Israel at that time. She only predated Golda Meir by about 3,000 years! Hasn’t he read about the evangelist Philip having four daughters who prophesied (Acts 21:9). How can a woman be second-class if she is a prophetess?

Mr. Miller asks why wickedness still exists. Of course, the biblical answer is that we are born with sin in our hearts. Maybe if the Bible had said it was in our genes, Miller might have accepted it. He very confidently asserts the biblical story of the ark was plagiarized from the Gilgamesh epic. Why? The ark in the Gilgamesh epic is a cube, a horrendously unstable form for a boat. The biblical ark has been scientifically and experientially shown to be an extremely stable design for an unpowered, ocean-going vessel.

A few more questions. I presume Mr. Miller believes that evolution is a proven fact. If so, would he please show me where science has created life from nonliving materials and verified it through the scientific method? All experiments to date manipulating genes (as with mayflies, because of their days-long lifespan) have shown all mutations to be at best benign but normally running from harmful to fatal.

Mr. Miller seems convinced that science has proved God doesn’t exist. What experiments have been done to explore the other 12 dimensions postulated by string theory to show that any one of them is not a realm where spirits exist?

It would appear Mr. Miller cherishes vast anger toward people who generally wish him well. How sad.

David E. L. Smith

Grovetown

soldout
soldout 08/29/13 - 02:52 am
excellent letter

thank you David for a good response. So good to see there are so many out there who believe the Word. As Christians speak out and control the language their influence is strong. If we watch TV and think all is lost because of a godless media our influence will be weak. Without us the world doesn't have a prayer. You have the answer for all the questions the lost world can ask.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 08/29/13 - 03:15 am
His prayers

Maybe his prayers consisted of wanting to win the lottery.
I kid of course. I hold him no ill will.

deestafford
deestafford 08/29/13 - 05:58 am
Very well said

I could write a lot in support of each paragraph but I think the letter covers things very well. I will say that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing and that appears to be the case of Mr Miller.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/29/13 - 06:06 am
GAD, yes your article was

GAD, yes your article was interesting but with one fallacy to your comment. Delusion is a head issue where belief in God and his Word is a heart issue. This is why Christ tells us that you must come as a child to him. Children do not use their head to love and trust, they use their hearts so why delusions may be your response, it does not apply here.

pearlthesquirrel
pearlthesquirrel 08/29/13 - 09:00 am
Job: Proofreader needed

Job details: Proofreader needed at The Augusta Chronicle. Must read letters to the editors and verify or nullify as to statements made in said letters. 40 hour position. Must start immediately.

Oh man, the Comical thinks they've printed another "winner" of a letter. Let's look at that "prayer really works thing," because David Smith apparently hasn't. Although I hyper-linked you readers yesterday in my comments, apparently Dave didn't look. So, instead of repeating the hyper-link, I'll just spell it out for you and you can all go look for yourselves. Look up:
Study of Therapeutic Effects of Intercessory Prayer (STEP) in cardiac bypass patients: a multi-center randomized trial of uncertainty and certainty of receiving intercessory prayer. That's in the American Heart Journal 151, no.4, April 2006 edition. All's it takes to knock down a "theory" (in this case, that prayer works) is one validated study / experiment / provable anti-theory against said theory. Well, there you go. You can thank me later. Strike one !
And then Dave pulls out religions "look over there while I'm talking over hear" argument. Hey Dave, the ORIGIN of life is not the EVOLUTION of life. That's two different topics bro'. Good try but uh-uh. Strike two !
And I'm sure Dave thinks "evolution is false." Where is your "evolution is proven false" evidence? Is that what you think Dave? Good. I OFFER TO YOU MY $5,000 EVOLUTION IS TRUE bet right now, right here........do you have the stones to equal my match and take the challenge? What's that? I can't hear you. Strike three! Looks like the ballgame is over..........Elvis has left the building. Davey-boy just got his lights shut down.
Once again, it's great to come to the Comical and it's "letters to the editors." Why? Because when I need a wee-bit of a break I can always come here and get a piece of low hanging fruit.....and it tastes soooooooooooooo gooooooooooooooooood !

myfather15
myfather15 08/29/13 - 09:52 am
"Mr. Miller asks why

"Mr. Miller asks why wickedness still exists."

Wickedness exists because of MAN's FREE WILL!!! God created us, gave us FREE WILL and a free thinking mind, just as He has!!! He didn't create a bunch of robots, programed to run around telling Him they love Him. Would THAT be true love? He created FREE WILLED souls, capable of making decisions of their own!! He wants our LOVE and OBEDIENCE!! Because OBEDIENCE to Him, equals a peaceful, WONDERFUL WORLD, CALL HEAVEN!!!!

But you CAN'T force LOVE and OBEDIENCE, because it wouldn't be honest and true!! So we have the option in THIS LIFE, to make FREE WILLED CHOICES, whether to love and obey Him.

After THIS dispensation of time; wickedness will NOT exist; because there will not be a single soul in existence that would commit wickedness!! If you can discipline yourself to behave, NOT harm others, not cheating others and not stealing from others, during THIS dispensation of time. It will be MUCH easier to live in peace, when we live with HIM as our ruler!! Because He will create a TRUE SYSTEM of fairness!! A system that mankind has ALWAYS failed to create!!

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 08/29/13 - 10:55 am
But when I became a man, I

But when I became a man, I put away childish things...

deestafford
deestafford 08/29/13 - 11:24 am
Why is evil in the world?

The answer is easy. There is the devil and evil. The devil is real and is always battling good.

myfather15
myfather15 08/29/13 - 11:58 am
GAD

I can tell you; from viewing MANY of your comments on here, towards other people, you DID NOT put away childish things.....

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 08/29/13 - 12:01 pm
MY15, I was quoting the

MY15, I was quoting the bible, just in case you haven't read it. For myself, I have weaknesses, as a human being. I try my best to overcome them, trying to make myself a better person today than I was yesterday.

myfather15
myfather15 08/29/13 - 12:25 pm
I was having a conversation a

I was having a conversation a while back with someone who is atheist. He specifically asked me why I think my God is the "Real" god. He went on to say how many different religions there are and how many different gods. He specifically mentioned Islam, Christianity, Judaism and how they worship different gods.

But what he didn't know is that ALL THREE worship the same entity, by different names and CERTAINLY different beliefs about that entity!! All three of these "major" religions, which make up the VAST majority of the world's population; base their religios beliefs on ONE MAN; Abraham!! All three "religions" claim to worship the God of Abraham!!

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but if they all worship the God of Abraham; and Abraham was an individual, single man and HE worshiped ONE GOD; then all three religions are worshipping the SAME GOD!! But they have developed their OWN twisted, corrupt version's of worshipping God. So basically, there isn't THAT MANY different god's people believe in. There is mainly ONE god people believe in, but have developed THEIR version of him. Mankind has ALWAYS been stupid!! Some factions of mankind worship fish gods, volcano gods, sea gods, tree gods, and the list could go on and on!! MANKIND is responsible for the confusion in the world about God!! He certainly isn't responsible for it!!

BUT, He certainly allows MANKIND to cause confusion, whether it be by INTENTION or by ignorance!! Mankind has cause MUCH confusion, both ways!!

It's no different than all the different factions of Christian Churches!! Somewhere along the line; some MAN decided HE had a better version of Christianity than others, so HE starts himself a Church!! There is no law against it, so why not, right? If you don't like the Pastor of the Church you attend, start your own, right? Not to mention, if you are successful (and don't have TRUE intentions), it's quite a lucrative business!! Pastor's by the thousands deceive people into sending them their money, by the thousands of dollars!!

But is this God's fault? Or mans? How do you place fault on someone who wrote you a long letter, WARNING you about these foxes? Basically telling you to stop placing your trust in THEM and seek HIM!!! You DO NOT need THEM, to seek HIM, period!!!

Bottom line: Mankind is absolutely responsible for ALL the confusion and deception in the ENTIRE WORLD!! So forgive me if I'm not so quick to place my trust in them!!!

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 08/29/13 - 12:30 pm
MF15, you blame mankind for

MF15, you blame mankind for the evil in the world. Deestafford blames the devil. I believe you are much closer to being correct.

myfather15
myfather15 08/29/13 - 12:28 pm
Ooooh Gad!!!

I knew exactly where you were quoting, but I also knew EXACTLY how you were using it!!!

Saton tempting Christ on the mount, ring a bell? What did he use to tempt Christ?

myfather15
myfather15 08/29/13 - 12:36 pm
Lucifer was nothing more than

Lucifer was nothing more than the LEADER of the rebellion against God!! Perfect example is right in front of us today, with OUR leaders here in America's with two party elections!! Lucifer started and LED a rebellion against God, but without the people following him; he would have got NOWHERE!!! A third of the souls God created, followed Lucifer!! That is a LOT of people!!! Some have came out of the deception, but MANY still follow him today!!

pearlthesquirrel
pearlthesquirrel 08/29/13 - 12:41 pm
Hey...hey...hey

Hey David, I'm waiting for a response. $5,000 big man - let's do it, shall we?

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 08/29/13 - 12:42 pm
Ok let me get this straight.

Ok let me get this straight. 1/3 of the souls are following the devil. That means god created a finite number of souls. That means that someday the very last human being will be born. Oh ya, are you saying that some of the 1/3 are human beings, walking amoung us today? That's quite a yarn you're spinning!!

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/29/13 - 02:32 pm
(ICL) "This is why Christ

(ICL) "This is why Christ tells us that you must come as a child to him. Children do not use their head to love and trust, they use their hearts "

(GAD) But when I became a man, I put away childish things...

That may be so GAD, but love and trust are not childish things so they should not be put away. Maybe that is your problem, in my opinion.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 08/29/13 - 02:48 pm
So you're saying to trust

So you're saying to trust without verifying? No thanks.

"Faith is the surrender of the mind; it’s the surrender of reason, it’s the surrender of the only thing that makes us different from other mammals. It’s our need to believe, and to surrender our skepticism and our reason, our yearning to discard that and put all our trust or faith in someone or something, that is the sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith must be the most overrated."
Christopher Hitchens

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/29/13 - 03:10 pm
GAD, all I can tell you is to

GAD, all I can tell you is to trust and you'll have all the verification you need.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/29/13 - 03:16 pm
I'm sorry MyFather15, I have

I'm sorry MyFather15, I have to disagree with you on " all three religions are worshipping the SAME GOD!!"

Muslim do not worship the "God of Abraham" as the Jews and Christians conceive him to be. Their view of Allah is radically different from Yahweh. Other than claiming the lineage from Abraham, their conception of God is so radically different from ours that there is almost no basis to the idea that they are talking about the same Being.

Muslims deny that Jesus is the begotten son of God but Jesus said that he is the begotten son of God. (John 3:16)

God is not God apart from Jesus. It is pointless to try to define the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob apart from Jesus Christ.

Christians believe in a triune God - Yahweh in three Persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit, but we actually undermine the divinity of Christ by claiming that our God is the same as that of our Jewish friends. As Christians, we believe Jesus is so important that you can't define God's identity apart from Him.

So it is much like orange fruit. You can have a tangerine, an orange, and a cantaloupe. All are orange fruit but they are not the same in characteristics, therefore they are not the same fruit. Anyone can say they worship the God of Abraham but unless the characteristics are the same, it is not the same God.

If someone says I worship the God of Abraham and He is just like the Christian God but He is not all powerful.....is it truly the same God. If I say I believe in the God of Abraham and He is just like the Christian God but He is not all knowing.....is it truly the same God. Unless He is the "I Am" He is not the One True God.

myfather15
myfather15 08/29/13 - 03:23 pm
GAD

Funny GAD, you speak of "trust without verifying". Are you a scientist?

Then somewhere along the line, YOU have to trust another MAN's scientific research!! It's that simple!! Unless you're a scientist, how to you check and verify the work of another scientist? You can believe me when I say this; I trust NO MAN!!! Not right wing men, not left wing men, not middle of the road men!! Sorry dude, but science is the work of MEN and I don't trust them NOT to slant their findings, as MANY have already done!!

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/29/13 - 03:42 pm
"Christopher Hitchens" "A

"Christopher Hitchens"

"A noted critic of religion and an antitheist, he said that a person "could be an atheist and wish that belief in God were correct", but that "an antitheist, a term I'm trying to get into circulation, is someone who is relieved that there's no evidence for such an assertion."

After reading about Mr. Hichens, sure sounds like he died a lonely bitter man who had no hope and most likely is spending eternity in separation from Christ. It is sad that his brother will never see him again in the spiritual world and I can't help but think that with all the sickness he endured at the end of his life, it is truly sad that he did not have Christ to see him through this journey.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 08/29/13 - 03:58 pm
My apologies, MF15--I didn't

My apologies, MF15--I didn't know your belief was that strong. So what's it like? Not taking any medicine when you get sick. Medicine is tested and verified by researchers before it is given to people. If you were diagnosed with cancer and could only do ONE of the two, which would you chose?
1) take chemotherapy and any other medicine your doctor prescribes
2) exercise faith and pray

myfather15
myfather15 08/29/13 - 04:06 pm
GAD

"That means god created a finite number of souls. That means that someday the very last human being will be born. Oh ya, are you saying that some of the 1/3 are human beings, walking amoung us today? That's quite a yarn you're spinning!!"

Yes, I do believe this. Every person created will have to pass through this dispensation of time. When that happens, the end of this dispensation will arrive!! That doesn't mean all people born here, will grow old, but they will be born into the flesh.

I probably shouldn't even go here, at least not on a website. Because it simply can't be explained while typing comments; I'd have to type novels, longer than I already do. I've literally had conversations with people about this (using scripture) that have lasted for DAYS!! But I will sum up my beliefs a little. Satan was on God's bad side in the garden of Eden, so when did he get on his bad side? I believe there was a dispensation of time BEFORE this flesh life, when ALL people existed!! Yes, you and I as well!! This was also when dinosaurs existed and was a dispensation of time that could have lasted millions, if not billions of years.

At some point in this dispensation of time, Satan rebelled against God's rule and regulations. He thought he was better and could do things better than God!! The Bible explains that 1/3 of the "Stars of heaven" fell, or followed the serpent, dragon, whichever you want to call him. Meaning 1/3 of the souls created, followed Satan, taking his side in the argument and rebelling against God!!

Now, God could have destroy Satan, but in ALL FAIRNESS would have to destroy ALL those who followed him as well. That is a LOT OF PEOPLE!! Instead, He decided to destroy the entire dispensation of time and the "world that was" (mentioned many places in the Bible). Also referred to as "Times of old" and "Former days". THIS, is where the dinosaurs and MANY other life forms were destroyed.

He created a new dispensation of time; erased our memories of the first earth age!! We are born as babes, with no recollection of the first age of time!! We must partake of this flesh life, completely seperate from HIM and Lucifer; thereby making FREE WILLED Choices, ALL of our own!! We can either obey, or rebel, but either way; it's on US!! Their spirits are with us, but neither are defacto present with us!! Allowing us to make the choices without undo influence, therefore it will actually be completely of our own free will!!

Now if you knew you could save MOST of the world, in ONE WEEK; would it not be worth it? Because in order to fully understand, you must understand that one day to God is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day!! Meaning, time means nothing to Him. We've been in this flesh life for approximately 6,000 years; which would be six days to him. That's not a long time to save your children!!

Now, as any GOOD LEADER will tell you "You never ask your followers to do something YOU wouldn't do yourself."

Therefore HE also took part in this flesh life, coming in the form of a Savior!! "They shall call His name Emmanuel" meaning God with us!! He took part in the flesh as well, teaching us, guiding us, and then dying for us!! He was the greatest example of ALL TIME!! He showed us, that when you follow Him, you will NOT be popular, amoung the people!! If they will kill Him, what would they do to His followers?

Now, I really want to go farther, but I'm not. There are literally thousands of scriptures to support this. I also realize this is NOT the traditional beliefs of MOST Christians; and so be it!! There is coming a 1000 years of LEARNING the Truth!!! Where traditions of MEN will NOT be taught by ANYONE!!

myfather15
myfather15 08/29/13 - 04:28 pm
GAD

Just as my brother, who was diagnosed with stage four lymphoma; my mother and I annoited him with Olive oil, and prayed over him, IN GOD's WILL!!

The doctor's said he was too weak to take Chemotherapy and literally stated they thought it would kill him!! We asked them "So, if you don't give him chemo, you're saying he will die and if you do give him chemo, he MIGHT die; so what's the down side?"

One week later, they decided to give him Chemotherapy!! February 2009 he began Chemotherapy. He had 19 tumors throughout his body!! In June the doctor's told him MANY tumors had responded very well to treatment, but there were 6 that were still large and not responding as well. His last treatment, before they had to stop was in July and his final checkup was in August. He went back in August and there wasn't a tumor in his body!! Of course NO doctor is going to say this BEFORE you're cancer free; but they told him afterwards he was a "mircalce". The nurses told him "We never say it, but we see people come in and we just know it's not going to end up well." They said HE was one of them!! In January of 2009 he spent 19 days in the Minnie Pearl Cancer Center and doesn't remember a single day of it. They thought he would die any day!!

It is August of 2013 and he is still cancer free and living a good life!! Now, I know that YOU could easily give credit to the chemo and doctors, but I will NOT!!! I give them credit for doing a wonderful job and give more credit to God for helping Him!! God works THROUGH men!! Luke was a medical doctor as well.

So, instead of choosing ONE of those options, why not choose BOTH? I certainly take medication as well.

"Medicine is tested and verified by researchers before it is given to people."

Is this why we see all these NEW medications, come onto the market to fix everything; then two years later, we see the law suits flying because people have experiences NUMEROUS symptoms, including DEATH? I wouldn't exactly trust ALL that testing and verifying, as you put it!!

myfather15
myfather15 08/29/13 - 04:32 pm
ICL

I said they created their OWN twisted, corrupt beliefs in THIS entity!! BUT, Muslims DO claim to worship the God of Abraham; that is factual. As do the Jews!!

So, again; If Abraham was an individual MAN and believed and worshipped ONE God; and people claim to worship that God, we are all worshipping the God of Abraham!!! Now, I DID NOT say they worship Him RIGHTFULLY and you will never hear me say this. My points was to show that the three "Major" religions, don't worship a completely different God and that is factual!! It's the same God, with evil twists and turns, created by MANKIND, not God!!

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/29/13 - 04:44 pm
GAD search Pubmed for

GAD search Pubmed for religion and spirituality and you'll find about 5,000 peer-reviewed publications indicating benefits in health related issues. Whether it's real or not-really doesn't matter the belief alone appears to have some beneficial aspects. Science and Faith are two sides (domains) of man-even most psych programs make their med students take courses on spirituality because of it's importance to many patients. Like Joseph Campbell says the Power of Myth-has molded our cultures and history. The great pyramids, great awakening, etc.

pearlthesquirrel
pearlthesquirrel 08/29/13 - 04:55 pm
14.) David E. L. Smith

What does that mean? That $5,000 check I have in my back pocket at all times to offer up to those that deny evolution will now have your name shown in the #14 position. That's 14 "evolution is false" people that have chickened-out on taking my challenge. Not 1, not 2, I said 14 !!!!!! Geez, why would that be the case? I mean, if somebody offered me $5k of free money, I would jump on that faster than cat on a can of tuna. But hey, maybe Dave don't like $$$$$$$$$$$. That would be a first! But Dave, don't feel bad, you go alongside some esteemed company - of which the main one is Georgia Rep. Paul Broun, M.D. He's the nut-job that said "evolution is a lie from the pits of hell" (remember that?) at a Hartwell, Georgia meeting of Bible-thumpers. He hasn't gotten back to me either........I wonder why? I know you've been on here Dave because, let's be honest, who ISN'T going to come on here to check their letter that's filled with untruths, right?
But hey, like I said, don't sweat it. I'll be thinking of you this weekend when I ignite my scrap-pile of wood with pages from the $1 Bible I purchased from the Columbia County "books for sale" at the library. I'll be looking for images in the fire of J.C., God, or Satan, you know, sort of like when religious people profess to see J.C. in a piece of toast (that's called pareidolia).
Anybody want to offer me a $5,000 bet?

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/29/13 - 05:18 pm
So MyFather15, if they are

So MyFather15, if they are not worshipping the God of Abraham RIGHTFULLY, then they are not worshiping the One True God, Yahweh, so that would make the gods they are worshipping, false gods and not the same. Correct?

Search of alleged dealer's home found drugs, firearms