Let's pay taxes monthly

I recently received my 2013 property tax statement. It was mailed so that I would have an additional 21 days to pay before the due date. How thoughtful.

I have not been able to receive an answer to the comment I am about to make, so here is hoping one of your readers can help out: I cannot understand why I can’t seem to pay my property taxes by the month. I can pay $100 per month much easier than $1,200 at one time. I wouldn’t even mind paying a small amount more (a 5- or 10-percent handling fee) to be able to do this. I think I am like a lot of folks –a senior on a fixed income.

So, as Mr. Kendrick said in his letter – “in an effort to give taxpayers as much flexibility as possible” – I would welcome a monthly payment plan. But, like a lot of suggestions, it makes sense so it probably won’t work!

Wayne Gray

Augusta

Darby
Darby 08/29/13 - 01:59 am
I appreciate your consternation but why not

just budget accordingly? Or open a bank savings account dedicated to your tax liability?

I just don't see your problem..

But you're not gonna get any sympathy or common sense out of government at any level.

jkline
jkline 08/29/13 - 03:09 am
Bad Idea

This would mean more administrative overhead, which would have to be paid for. That would result in higher taxes. I have a counter proposal. Get a cigar box, and put the money for taxes into it each month. Then you have it at the end of the year.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 08/29/13 - 05:33 am
Do what I do

Let your wife handle the finances.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 08/29/13 - 07:35 am
Why is it when people can't

Why is it when people can't budget or can't afford something, they say they are on a "fixed income?" It's not like the rest of us can do a great deal to vary the figure that is on our paycheck.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 08/29/13 - 07:50 am
Angela

That is so true. I never thought about it like that!

soapy_725
soapy_725 08/29/13 - 09:12 am
A home grown "escrow account" without fees to manage.

A home grown "escrow account" without fees to manage.

soapy_725
soapy_725 08/29/13 - 09:12 am
Pay it with your MasterCard. Like all of your other purchases.

Pay it with your MasterCard. Like all of your other purchases.

soapy_725
soapy_725 08/29/13 - 09:14 am
Fixed income & eminent hunger. We all suffer at some time.

Fixed income & eminent hunger. We all suffer at some time.

realitycheck09
realitycheck09 08/29/13 - 11:53 am
@ Angela

Great point. Also, although he has a "fixed income", there's no law that says he can't go to work, work from home, start a small business, etc. Don't like your fixed income? Make more money

Sweet son
Sweet son 08/29/13 - 12:13 pm
Fixed Income!

Heck, we are all on a fixed income whether we draw a gvment check or work at a real job.

Angela is right budget your money so you can pay your bills. You know the tax on your home is due once a year in the fall!

Finally just live within your means!

My Avatar represents Ovarian Cancer. September is Ovarian Cancer awareness month!

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 08/29/13 - 01:13 pm
As others have said...

this is a problem easily fixed. As Darby recommended, open a separate account at your bank specifically for this purpose. You can even call it your "escrow" account. Take your annual property tax bill, divide it by twelve and that's the amount you put into this account each month. Then, when your taxes come due, you're good to go.

I'm surprised that no one at the Tax Commissioner's office could or would recommend something like this - after all, a lot of people handle it in this fashion.

If your bank doesn't offer free checking, find one that does - that way you don't have any additional costs to doing this. No need to pay a convenience fee for something like this...

Darby
Darby 08/29/13 - 10:41 pm
"Get a cigar box, and put the money for taxes

into it each month. Then you have it at the end of the year."

Until some uninvited "guest" does a little B&E on you. Then what?

KSL
KSL 08/30/13 - 09:55 pm
Put it in a savings account

Put it in a savings account and transfer it a checking account at tax paying time.

UGA seeks Gurley reinstatement

ATHENS, Ga. -- Georgia will file paperwork today with the NCAA to seek reinstatement for suspended star running back Todd Gurley, the school said in an announcement Wednesday morning.