Don't trust soul to science

Regarding Jeff Miller’s Aug. 21 letter “Science is mankind’s savior”:

He does not believe in a living God, and I do. I know without a doubt that Jesus Christ lives. I know the Bible to be the absolute truth. Yes, I’ve read it and will continue to study it the rest of my days on Earth. It has answered all of the important questions for me. By putting faith in God and his word, what I can’t explain I know will be answered for me in time.

I’m sure the letter writer is of good character, and probably obeys the Ten Commandments. That is fine. However, we all are sinners, and to say we have not sinned is a lie. The thing is, through faith in Christ there is forgiveness.

Who will forgive the nonbeliever? Science is fine, but I refuse to trust my soul to science.

Life is what – 60, 70 or more years? For the nonbeliever that’s it – over with. Through faith, life is eternal. I believe we all will have eternal life, but without faith in Jesus Christ where will that eternity be spent?

Even now I am not searching for answers. I do not live now as if my destination is a cold, dark hole in the earth. By faith, we can be confident – without fear, without questions and confident in the promises God has made through his inspired word found in the Holy Bible.

I urge everyone: If you have not surrendered your life to the living God that created all – yes, even science – then get into the word of God. Learn to trust in Him as your redeemer and have faith that He can and will be there for all who believe.

Frank Jennings

Augusta

pearlthesquirrel
pearlthesquirrel 08/28/13 - 10:12 am
Really?

WOW....my post happened at 11:11. Is that like "666" or something?

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/28/13 - 10:39 am
Extremely sad! There are

Extremely sad!

There are those who still see God as a religion instead of a relationship. Christianity is a faith, based on a set of doctrine derived from the teachings of Christ and though I suppose Christianity could die out (but hasn't after thousands of years) my God who is my salvation will never die out. Being Christ-like or a "Christian" is a state of being. Either you are or you are not. Either you believe what He says, that He is the way, the truth, and the life and no man comes to the Father, except through Him or you don't believe.

pearlthesquirrel
pearlthesquirrel 08/28/13 - 10:44 am
BAM...

You know, for the longest time I let contributors on here spittle about how "prayer really works." Well, I've always said it didn't. And to prove an idea / hypothesis / theory wrong (like evolution - for all of those on here that think that's hogwash), all's it takes is one......ONE....not two, not three, not four, just one scientifically valid and provable study / example / experiment - so enjoy your reading after you click on that hyperlink.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/28/13 - 10:47 am
(faithson) "Good people, no

(faithson) "Good people, no matter their theology, create good in the world. I would give them just as much of a chance of getting to the eternal as myself or anyone I know."

Faithson, you are correct. There are many good people in this world but being good does not earn you eternal salvation with Christ because our salvation is not based on works. I refuse to base my eternal destiny on "chance" when His Word shows us we can have the assurance through His Mercy and forgiveness. Chance is based on a roll of the dice, it could go either way.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 08/28/13 - 10:57 am
Life and Death

Life and death eternally will not be the same as we understand physical life and death on earth to be. In fact, many are already experiencing being physically alive, but live a life of emotional and spiritual death on this earth.

We are ALL promised an eternity. The only question that remains is...where will we spend it? The Good News is that the decision is completely within our individual choices.

Will we choose, in heaven with Christ Jesus, or the lake of fire with Satan?

Will we choose by our own conscious and determined decision or will we select by way of default?

Will we believe a lie or will we believe the truth?

Will we decide for ourselves or allow the influence of a sinful world and our own self centeredness to decide for us?

Will we live out our eternity in the victory of light, peace and joy or the indescribable defeat of darkness, fear and torment?

As for me, I choose the Lord; not because of something I learned in church, or what my parents believed, or even what I've read in the Bible. I choose Him, through an experiential relationship with Him.

I know Him to be strong when I am weak, I know Him to be victorious when I feel defeated. I know Him to still be loving, when I am not, but most of all because I know Him to be faithful even when I am faithless.

I rejoice that my God has done the work for me and that I can rest in the shed blood of Christ Jesus, forever.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 08/28/13 - 11:02 am
"Lake of fire, with Satan"?

"Lake of fire, with Satan"? You REALLY believe in such a place and such a person? Nothing like using fear to get people to believe. It's what adults do to children.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 08/28/13 - 11:23 am
Love the choosing part!

Good Morning GAD!
Thankfully, it isn't up to me to get anyone to do or believe anything.
Remember, we all get to choose!

I will share with you though, that "The Fear of God is the beginning of knowledge."

You can call that fear, or you can correctly call it as describing reality.

pearlthesquirrel
pearlthesquirrel 08/28/13 - 11:17 am
Not all people are sinners - like, for example...

No, we're NOT all sinners. I mean, Ray Comfort can't be a sinner because he always asks those annoying 60 Minutes ambush questions when he's out poppin' his mouth off in Long Beach, or Malibu, or wherever he tapes those ridiculous YouTube videos. "Have you ever stolen anything?" "Yea, of course I have." "What does that make you?" "Uh, a thief?" "Have you ever broken any of the ten commandments like committing adultery?" "Uh, yea, I cheated on my girlfriend once." "What does that make you?" "Uh, I don't know...that makes be bad." Oh man, that's tooooooooooooooooooooo much Ray-Ray. Like Mr. Comfort has NEVER done anything wrong. I would turn him into mush in less than 5 minutes with his oingo-boingo schtick! Hey Ray-Ray, look in the mirror, will ya? None proclaim innocence so loudly as the guilty. ANYDAY...ANYTIME...RAY-RAY. Are you man enough? Or do you just get off on schadenfreude?

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/28/13 - 11:30 am
Willow, wonderful to have you

Willow, wonderful to have you back. Hope things are going well with your family. Missed your commenting.

OJP
OJP 08/28/13 - 12:40 pm
@Bizkit

"How can you blame the US falling behind in Science on religions."

When you have a portion of the population that actually thinks evolution should be taught alongside creationism, you will fall behind.

It's not science, folks. Plan. And. Simple. You're only hurting your kids and everyone else's when you try to force your non-scientific religion into the classrooms - where science is supposed to be taught. Our future leaders need to know how the world works. Leave the "purpose" to the church.

OJP
OJP 08/28/13 - 12:47 pm
@ICL

"We have faith that when we turn the key to our vehicle it will start. We have faith that when we drive down the highway that we will reach our destination. We have faith that when we go to sleep at night we will wake in the morning."

That's not faith. That's a prediction based on past experience. I don't have faith in anything you listed. I am confident those things will happen because they have happened in the past.

Faith is believing in something despite the absence of proof.

OJP
OJP 08/28/13 - 01:07 pm
@nocnoc

"The Believers in GOD continue to smile and say:
OK, Where did it start?
Who put the materials together to create the Big Bang?"

I would respond with a smile, "Well, what created God?" And if your answer is, "God has always existed", then my response would be, "Why is that any more likely than the universe having always existed?"

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 08/28/13 - 01:12 pm
Thank you, ICL.

Thank you, ICL.

myfather15
myfather15 08/28/13 - 01:31 pm
Go ahead!! Place your trust

Go ahead!! Place your trust in mankind!! Have fun with that!!

myfather15
myfather15 08/28/13 - 01:35 pm
David Parker

You MUST stand for something, or you WILL fall for anything!!

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/28/13 - 02:00 pm
OJP, Faith is belief, trust,

OJP, Faith is belief, trust, and loyalty to a person or thing whether it is from past experience or prediction.

"Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see"

You have faith that your car will work properly because that is what is has done in the past. Likewise I have faith in my Lord, that He will guide, protect, and love me because that is what He has done in the past, is doing in the present, and will do in the future.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/28/13 - 02:19 pm
(OJP) "Who put the materials

(OJP) "Who put the materials together to create the Big Bang?"

You either have to concede that an infinite regress exists which means God had a Creator Himself and is therefore not the "top" god, or that the universe (without God) could have always existed, too."

----------

I think this is a wonderful explanation:

God has always existed and exists outside of time. Since we live in a universe of cause and effect, we naturally assume that this is the only way in which any kind of existence can function. However, the premise is false. Without the dimension of time, there is no cause and effect, and all things that could exist in such a realm would have no need of being caused, but would have always existed. Therefore, God has no need of being created, but, in fact, created the time dimension of our universe specifically for a reason - so that cause and effect would exist for us. However, since God created time, cause and effect would never apply to His existence.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 08/28/13 - 02:26 pm
John 20:29

One of my favorites... Jesus said to him, “Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

For those who require proof, there will never be enough to satisfy them. There were many who witnessed the teachings and miracles of God in the flesh on this earth and still chose not to believe. They had their proof, and still demanded more.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 08/28/13 - 02:28 pm
And excellent, ICL, at 3:19.

And excellent, ICL, at 3:19.

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/28/13 - 02:35 pm
Only private religious

Only private religious schools don't teach evolution to my knowledge and not all of them-least in Georgia. My nephew went to religious private school in Macon, Ga and was taught evolution-no mention of creationism. I think Augusta Christian doesn't mention evolution though -from what I hear? I don't see how you can teach biology without evolution? But anyways if people want to make comparisons it should be creationism compared to abiogenesis because evolution has nothing to do with the origin of life. "Panspermia" proposed by astrobiologist is about as far fetched as any spiritual myths if your going to examine the origin of life. Abiogenesis breaks a biological law in a way because the idea is life spontaneously arose from a possible protobiont acquiring RNA as enzyme and genetic code-when long ago science proved life doesn't spontaneously generate. This exception to the rule would have to have statistical odds to occur again and that's why there are scientist looking for life of a different origin-different from all other life and originating from our Last Universal Common Ancestor. This virus with a large genome and unique genes may fit into their studies. Evolution is a well established body of science. The origin of life is still really a mystery and purely theoretical muses of the possibility of protobionts, amino acids and nucleic acids forming in the environment (which happens to this day or I could mix up in a lab and it is just an organic molecule and not life). The oldest fossils are 3.5 billion year old stromatolites-colonial bacteria. Cyanobacteria do it still to this day and you find them in Australia. But life predates that because bacteria are believed to have evolved from a more complex LUCA through gene loss. So early life may have had several starts and only one branch survived to give rise to the tree of life. There are publications that muse the origin of life likely didn't occur here but was implanted (not by a god but natural forces), and the idea of panspermia that life originated from primordial organic molecules. Interesting the age of the genetic code was published in Science and it was about the same age as the origin of earth-which most scientist believe life couldn't exist. So panspermia may have some truth but I'm not a believer.

OJP
OJP 08/28/13 - 02:49 pm
@ICL

You're just back to "God has always existed", which is just as convincing as "The universe has always existed". For illustration purposes:

"The [pre-Big Bang universe] has always existed and exists outside of time. Since we live in a universe of cause and effect, we naturally assume that this is the only way in which any kind of existence can function. However, the premise is false. Without the dimension of time, there is no cause and effect, and all things that could exist in such a realm would have no need of being caused, but would have always existed. Therefore, [the pre-Big Bang universe] has no need of being created, but, in fact, [resulted] in the creation of the time dimension of our universe specifically for a reason - so that cause and effect would exist for us. However, since [the Big Bang] created time, cause and effect would never apply to [the pre-Big Bang universe's] existence."

You really have only two options: (1) God has always existed or (2) God was created. If God was created, then there's is something else out there that might need to be worshipped above Him. If God has always existed, there's no reason to take that position over the position that the universe has always existed.

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/28/13 - 02:51 pm
Generally polls indicate that

Generally polls indicate that 60% of Americans don't believe in evolution and 40% believe in creationism. Some 70-80% of American claim christianity although that is going down in whites-blacks and hispanics still very religious. Studies examining christians find the resistance is mostly one christian group-fundamentalist evangelical Christians. So religion isn't the only reason Americans don't buy evolution. I think part of the problem is some biological scientist have done a poor job popularizing evolution like physicist have done a great job popularizing relativity, black holes, etc. Then some biologist like Dawkins lets his personal ideology get the better of him and rather than keep a cool head to educate he then goes from excellent arguments addressing the frailties of creationism to ad hominem attacks of christianity.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/28/13 - 02:57 pm
OJP, any other day I might be

OJP, any other day I might be inclined to dive deeper into this subject matter with you but today is not the day. All I have to say is you believe however you wish to believe because most likely I could present God Almighty himself to you on a silver platter and you'd deny His existance, so have at it. My prayer for you, is that sometime before you leave this earthly existance God will beckon your heart and you will heed to His calling and experience the joy of becoming a child of His. Good day.

WalterBradfordCannon
WalterBradfordCannon 08/28/13 - 06:36 pm
People, people, people.

People, people, people. Science doesn't have a mission, and is not trying to replace anything. It is a process for finding increasingly probable explanations for observations in the physical world. You can use the scientific process to help you diagnose a car that is not working, or a person whose health is failing, or how the brain works, or how long the planet we call earth has been spinning around the sun. In all cases, all science can do is determine that some explanations are more likely than others. Through the use of science, we have dramatically improved our society over the last century. We have used it to create computers, the internet, modern medicine, cheap and easily accessible power, flight, cars, and many, many, other things. Science is the friend of everyone.

There are "people" who are trying to cheapen religion using scientific arguments, and other "people" trying to cheapen religion using biblical inerrancy arguments. Neither group is a good friend for religion or for science. Those who will have faith know, and those who don't have faith may someday, and science will keep on doing its thing - and making the world better for all.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 08/28/13 - 09:17 pm
Who is against science? It

Who is against science? It doesn't negate God; it supports the wonder of all creation.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 08/28/13 - 11:34 pm
one of two things

Either there is a God or there is not.
I choose to believe there is because I've seen him working in my life. I mean it is the only explanation for certain things that have happened that have convinced me that there is a God. Once that hurdle is crossed everything else has fallen into place and now everything makes sense. I don't know if I'm making sense but it really doesn't matter. Without God life would have no meaning, no purpose and hope would not exist.

WalterBradfordCannon
WalterBradfordCannon 08/29/13 - 11:08 am
Willow Bailey, Paul Broun is

Willow Bailey, Paul Broun is against science. He believes it is lies from the pit of hell. So are many other people who would teach their children Creationism in science class and shield them from teachings of natural selection. So are many people who believe the world is only a few thousand years old. These people are against science. The evidence on the age of earth is insurmountable, as is the evidence on the creation of species through evolution. People perceive these findings of science to be undercutting their religion because their religion is based, in part, on the understandings of science several thousand years ago. Science changes our understanding of the physical world and the time course of its creation, and its age, and how humans and animals evolved from prior species. How God may have interacted with these processes also obviously changes as we learn more about the time courses of the physical processes, and their phenomenology, and some people feel that threatens their religion.

They shouldn't, but they also should not cling to physical explanations of the creation of humans, and of earth, that are in the Bible and are known to be incompatible with the way events actually occurred.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 08/29/13 - 11:59 am
Science evolves; God is unchangeable

Mr.Cannon, I actually wasn't referring to all of the world, just those who had participated in the online discussion.

Regarding Mr. Brown, if I were to say a conclusion or an opinion one stated was "straight from the pits of the hell", it would not mean that I believed the person or everything they believed or said was from the pits of hell. I'm sure Mr. Brown understands the importance of the study of science. However, he doesn't allow his belief in his maker to be over shadowed by every theory or conclusion.

Science evolves; God Almighty is timeless, unchangeable and still as relevant today as He was in the beginning.

Don't you just love that He gave us the intelligence to explore, discover, process, and reason and yet we will never figure it all out without His final explanation?

More Americans traveling this holiday season

You might want to get a head start to Grandma's house this year. It appears more Americans - 98.6 million - will be traveling this holiday season than ever.