Don't trust soul to science

Regarding Jeff Miller’s Aug. 21 letter “Science is mankind’s savior”:

He does not believe in a living God, and I do. I know without a doubt that Jesus Christ lives. I know the Bible to be the absolute truth. Yes, I’ve read it and will continue to study it the rest of my days on Earth. It has answered all of the important questions for me. By putting faith in God and his word, what I can’t explain I know will be answered for me in time.

I’m sure the letter writer is of good character, and probably obeys the Ten Commandments. That is fine. However, we all are sinners, and to say we have not sinned is a lie. The thing is, through faith in Christ there is forgiveness.

Who will forgive the nonbeliever? Science is fine, but I refuse to trust my soul to science.

Life is what – 60, 70 or more years? For the nonbeliever that’s it – over with. Through faith, life is eternal. I believe we all will have eternal life, but without faith in Jesus Christ where will that eternity be spent?

Even now I am not searching for answers. I do not live now as if my destination is a cold, dark hole in the earth. By faith, we can be confident – without fear, without questions and confident in the promises God has made through his inspired word found in the Holy Bible.

I urge everyone: If you have not surrendered your life to the living God that created all – yes, even science – then get into the word of God. Learn to trust in Him as your redeemer and have faith that He can and will be there for all who believe.

Frank Jennings

Augusta

soldout
soldout 08/28/13 - 03:29 am

thank you for throwing a life line to those who may decide to be saved. You will meet those folks in heaven some day and they will ask, "do you remember that little letter to the editor you wrote back in 2013; it got me here today". Great letter full of truth and hope for all.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 08/28/13 - 04:13 am
Very True

I love science but life would not be worth living without a loving God who thinks of us as His beloved children. I couldn't make it through a single day without my faith. It has brought me through some very tough times. Science is fine but it can't give you peace and serenity when the chips are down.

burninater
burninater 08/28/13 - 05:19 am
"Life is what – 60, 70 or

"Life is what – 60, 70 or more years? For the nonbeliever that’s it – over with."
-----
False. Christian folklore is not the only conception of existence beyond the mortal plane. I do not understand what people think they gain by trying to perpetuate the falsehood that there is either Christian faith, or nothing.

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 08/28/13 - 05:23 am
shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 08/28/13 - 05:28 am
Hey Burninater

Am I hallucinating or is your picture the same girl as Humble Angela's?

burninater
burninater 08/28/13 - 05:35 am
Nope, no hallucination. It is

Nope, no hallucination. It is the Scottish actress Karen Gillan.

WalterBradfordCannon
WalterBradfordCannon 08/28/13 - 06:01 am
The absolute word of the

The absolute word of the Bible will not provide any new answers about the physical world over time. No matter how much time passes, it will say the same thing. Science, however, marches forward and makes discoveries about the physical world. It cannot, however, touch the spiritual world. As long as these distinctions are kept in mind, there is no conflict between science and the Bible. It is only those who insist that the literal word of the Bible, written with the knowledge mankind possessed thousands of years ago, must be inerrant that create such a rift.

Jason Hasty
Jason Hasty 08/28/13 - 06:06 am
Amen, Mr. Jennings. Thanks for sharing.

Science actually points to Creator design. Planets that rotate in the opposite direction from others, the inability to explain the moon outside of creation, and many other examples of God's wonderful work. The Bible speaks of the "paths of the sea" and sure enough there are channels out there. The best evidence is personal when Christ is in us and we experience His love and His gifts.

As far as I know the Christian faith is the only one to claim the risen Savior. You would think that some other belief system would try to make this claim. I guess it's because the Bible backs it up ans there is no other belief system that has this documentation for such an event.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/28/13 - 06:33 am
" Christian folklore is not

" Christian folklore is not the only conception of existence beyond the mortal plane. I do not understand what people think they gain by trying to perpetuate the falsehood that there is either Christian faith, or nothing."

Burn, it may not be the only conception but what matters is what is truth. Christians do not gain anything by spreading the Word of God's truth to others but if a soul is saved, eternal life is gained and God is glorified. You may view it as falsehood, and you can believe there are other ways of existing after we pass from this earthly existence but there is no physical proof that either is true. It is a matter of what you put your faith in.

localguy55
localguy55 08/28/13 - 07:12 am
Matthew 15: 22-27

22 And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil.

23 But he answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us.

24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

25 Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me.

26 But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs.

27 And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/28/13 - 08:53 am
What point are you trying to

What point are you trying to make localguy55?

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/28/13 - 09:02 am
That's true Burn. Besides the

That's true Burn. Besides the Abrahamic the Dharmic religions also have an afterlife-course ancient egypt, ancient greece, etc. too but those don't count now. I think all have a place like heaven too, just in Dharmic (Hinduism and Buddhism) you don't stay and are reincarnated.

faithson
faithson 08/28/13 - 09:21 am
burn

so many are stuck with the institutionalized version of Christianity that is based on dogma, (us and them), they cannot see the forest through the trees... that it is by 'faith' that we gain salvation, OUR, each personalities, faith. institutions demand the same faith, while similarity is helpful, standardization and crystallization cause stagnation. Good people, no matter their theology, create good in the world. I would give them just as much of a chance of getting to the eternal as myself or anyone I know.

justthefacts
20243
justthefacts 08/28/13 - 09:22 am
5:35

Must be an infatuation.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/28/13 - 09:24 am
Matthew 15:24-28 24 He

Matthew 15:24-28

24 He answered, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel.”

25 The woman came and knelt before him. “Lord, help me!” she said.

26 He replied, “It is not right to take the children’s bread and toss it to the dogs.”

27 “Yes it is, Lord,” she said. “Even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their master’s table.”

28 Then Jesus said to her, “Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted.” And her daughter was healed at that moment.

Localguy55, it appears you have left off the most important verse in this passage of scripture. If one reads this scripture without the knowledge of Jesus' character or without the knowledge of the Holy Spirit, one might assume that Jesus was denying help or healing to this woman's daughter. But as we see in verse 28, it is because of her faith that her daughter is healed.

pearlthesquirrel
pearlthesquirrel 08/28/13 - 09:40 am
As Ryan Lochte would say - "jeah."

Well, today gets us the fourth rebuttal letter to J.M.'s original letter. Correct me if I'm wrong, but NOBODY from the four letters has answered J.M.'s questions. Hmmm, interesting. Let's see - four letters to one and approximately 756 rebuttal words to J.M.'s 424. What's my point? I don't have a point - unless you're talking about the one on the top of my head! But Mary Pinion of Augusta has something to say about it. In the December 23, 2012 issue of The Chronicle - in the Opinion section - this is what she had to say, and I quote: "Help those folks at The Augusta Chronicle to continue to report fair and balanced news." (Look it up!) Does she think The Comical is FOX news? Fair and balanced at The Comical? Oh man, that's an oxymoron like "military intelligence," "dry martini," "jumbo shrimp," "corporate ethics," "airline schedule," or any of a thousand more. 4 : 1 and 756 : 424 - jeah!
Oh by the way, if you're sending a letter to The Comical, WILL SOMEBODY ANSWER J.M.'S QUESTIONS !!!!

pearlthesquirrel
pearlthesquirrel 08/28/13 - 09:43 am
Science

"Science actually points to Creator design." Really? Then who "created" God? What "science" book have you been reading? I've got to go - I've got to feed my dinosaurs...........................YIKES!

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 08/28/13 - 09:50 am
ICL

Thanks for clearing that up because Localguy had me lost and confused.

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/28/13 - 09:53 am
How can you blame the US

How can you blame the US falling behind in Science on religions. Religions are dying in the US as atheism grows and I don't see a sudden surge in interest in the science. America is failing in the sciences because our youth would rather find something less challenging and demanding, and public schools must be doing a terrible job teaching math and science. Usually biology departments have huge numbers of students on their rolls but way fewer complete their degrees as they change majors. It isn't easy getting an engineering degree from Georgia Tech or a PhD from GRU and many really intelligent people would rather take the easy road.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/28/13 - 09:58 am
Ah...my TD loves me so much

Ah...my TD loves me so much that they wish to let me know they are thinking of me to give me a thumbs down even on a simple question.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 08/28/13 - 10:10 am
"Science flies you to the

"Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings"
-Victor J. Stenger, American particle physicist

Who needs faith anyway?
The guys that flew planes into the twin towers had faith
The people who drank Jim Jones koolaid had faith
The crusaders in the dark ages had faith
The jews in the bible who committed genocide against an entire city had faith
The Haley Comet suicide group in Rancho Santa Fe that committed group suicide had faith
Males in Iran and Saudi Arabia who mutilate their daughters genitals have faith

Its all insane and modern day Christianity is right there in with them all.

David Parker
David Parker 08/28/13 - 10:09 am
I always go back to this when I see this debate...

One day, making tracks
In the prairie of Prax,
Came a North-Going Zax
And a South-Going Zax.

And it happened that both of them came to a place
Where they bumped. There they stood.
Foot to foot. Face to face.

“Look here, now!” the North-Going Zax said, “I say!
You are blocking my path. You are right in my way.
I’m a North-Going Zax and I always go north.
Get out of my way, now, and let me go forth!”

“Who’s in whose way?” snapped the South-Going Zax.
“I always go south, making south-going tracks.
So you’re in MY way! And I ask you to move
And let me go south in my south-going groove.”

Then the North-Going Zax puffed his chest up with pride.
“I never,” he said, “take a step to one side.
And I’ll prove to you that I won’t change my ways
If I have to keep standing here fifty-nine days!”

“And I’ll prove to YOU,” yelled the South-Going Zax,
“That I can stand here in the prairie of Prax
For fifty-nine years! For I live by a rule
That I learned as a boy back in South-Going School.
Never budge! That’s my rule. Never budge in the least!
Not an inch to the west! Not an inch to the east!
I’ll stay here, not budging! I can and I will
If it makes you and me and the whole world stand still!”

Well…
Of course the world didn’t stand still. The world grew.
In a couple of years, the new highway came through
And they built it right over those two stubborn Zax
And left them there, standing un-budged in their tracks.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/28/13 - 10:10 am
Hey Shrimp! I do believe

Hey Shrimp! I do believe that was localguy's intent which is always the case when someone takes scripture out of context or does not understand the historial and culture aspects of the time in which the scripture was written. Canaanites were grossly sinful people who were given plenty of time by God to change their ways. It's wonderful to be shown in scripture that no matter how horrible and wicked we are, no matter what kind of background we come from, if we have faith and believe, He is just to forgive, heal, and save our souls.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/28/13 - 10:30 am
GAD, we all have faith in

GAD, we all have faith in something. We have faith that when we turn the key to our vehicle it will start. We have faith that when we drive down the highway that we will reach our destination. We have faith that when we go to sleep at night we will wake in the morning.

So you may view faith as being insane, but I say without faith there is no hope and where there is no hope, what is the purpose of life.

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/28/13 - 10:40 am
Early Christian and Muslim

Early Christian and Muslim scientist (and today too)were inspired by their faith. Centuries of the great masters in arts and music were inspired by their faith too. You are only describing half of the sword. Science is also a two-edged sword- it too has good and bad. So stalemate.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 08/28/13 - 10:42 am
ICL

It is very soothing to know we have a God who loves us so much and I want everyone to know His peace. I'm sure some people think I'm just some religious nut but it's only been in the last year that I've found this peace. It really doesn't matter to me what people think. I guess I just want all souls to find their way to God.

pearlthesquirrel
pearlthesquirrel 08/28/13 - 10:42 am
G.A.D.

You're thinking of Marshall Applewhite and the Heaven's Gate cult. H.G. had that "logo" that looked like the Green Bay Packer symbol- oh man, that's too much ! Don't forget, they self-castrated themselves also. Those cats were CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!.........YEE - OWWWWW !!!

Topsy Krets
Topsy Krets 08/28/13 - 10:54 am
There will come a day with

There will come a day when Jesus is taught in mythology classes right after Zeus and Thor. I don't mean to sound mean and I'm definitely trying not to down anyone's faith. I'm all for whatever gets you through the day as long as you don't use as an excuse to hate or bomb non-believers. But seriously think about it. Christianity is just the popular religion of our day right now. Thousands of years ago it was Zeus, Thor, Horus, etc. It all depended on where you were born much like it still does now. All religions have their peaks and then die out. None of them have the right answers. They were a created by man to explain the world around him and give him peace about what happens after we die. That's it.

Not one religion can be proven. Not one. It's nuts to watch everyone fight over who's god is better when in reality Jesus, Allah, etc can't be proven to exist anymore then Zeus or Thor.

I believe in God, but not as one thing, not as an old man in the sky. I believe that what people call God is something in all of us. I believe that what Jesus and Mohammed and Buddha and all the rest said was right. It's just that the translations have gone wrong- John Lennon

pearlthesquirrel
pearlthesquirrel 08/28/13 - 11:11 am
Faith = delusion Delusion = faith.

Faith - the firm belief in something for which there is no proof.
Delusion - something that is falsely or delusively believed or propagated.
Same thing.
Websters New Collegiate Dictionary; pages 298 and 408.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/28/13 - 11:17 am
Science continues to fail in its quest to replace GOD.

It is likely the longest running failure.
Science after 1000's of years continues to avoid admitting GOD exists. Experiment after experiment leaves another layer to dig into in this fruitless quest.

Even the Big Bang Theory fails to answer what started it and where the kindling to make it came from.

The latest explanation is what Science has even named the most basic sub-atomic particle "The GOD Particle" aka the Higgs boson. But still they have yet to explain where that came from.
Every thing material in existence has a starting point.

While Science continues to update its 1000's year quest to prove it knows best.

The Believers in GOD continue to smile and say:
OK, Where did it start?
Who put the materials together to create the Big Bang?

I would also warn other Men of GOD, not to turn their backs on
all science. Examine what science has to offer to help man. But do so with the understanding and open eyes that science, like anything, can be used for good or evil. Is there more good in it or more evil?

Election Updates

ATLANTA — Now that Georgia Republicans have settled on businessman David Perdue as their nominee for the state's open Senate seat, the real battle begins with a marquee match-up in the ...