Real 'Hunger Games'?

If you saw the movie The Hunger Games or read the book, you saw a nation divided between the haves (in the capital city) and the have-nots (in the districts). The districts provided everything city residents needed; most district residents lived day-to-day.

Now let’s look at current America. You have a ruling elite in Washington, D.C., who are supposed to work for the people, but usually design policies that benefit only themselves and their staff. Case in point: There have been recent reports that President Obama has carved out a nice exception for members of the Senate, House and their staffers regarding their participation in the Affordable Care Act. It would appear the Washington elite are again attempting to exempt themselves from what a number of Americans despise. And then there is U.S. Rep. Keith Ellison, D-Minn., who wants a new tax on financial transactions and stock trades. The merits of his proposal can be debated, but it is another example of how the Washington elite usually only think of more taxes to fund a growing government.

Did you know that some communities around Washington are among the wealthiest in the nation? Truly the districts are providing for the capital city. What next – we provide tributes to Washington for the entertainment of capital city residents?

George J. Weber

Augusta

myfather15
myfather15 08/18/13 - 06:25 am
What most people don't truly realize:

Is that there is some TRUTH, in what people say on all sides of the political spectrum. You hear liberal democrats always screaming about a "ruling class" using this to denounce capitalism. Saying the "Rich are getting richer and the poor, more poor." This is very true in many aspects. But this is NOT divided by party!! ANY and ALL rich persons, get special treatment.

From the federal goverment all the way down to the smallest communities. Poor people have no influence on anything, besides their vote!!

For example (I will NEVER forget this); many years ago I wrote a speeding ticket (72mph-55 zone) to a multi-millionaire. On the traffic stop, the guy told me "You know, I'm very good friends with your boss." (This wasn't exactly true by the way, but he did have OTHER friends). My response was "That has nothing to do with this traffic stop sir." I then issued him the citation. He didn't want to sign the ticket, but I told him if he didn't SIGN it, acknowledging that he DID receieve it, he would have to post a cash bond and that meant he would go to jail. That is ALL signing a citation is; it's just acknowledging that you did get a ticket and must answer for it. He then signed it!!

When the court date came up, I didn't see his name on the docket. I inquired GREATLY about this and was told they didn't have the copy of the citation that I turned in. I showed them MY copy and demanded to know what happened to the citation. No one could or better said; WOULD give me an answer. They just continued telling me they simply DO NOT KNOW what happened, even accusing me of not properly turning the citiation into the courts. I then provided my citation log, where I was CLEAR that I turned it in, with numerous other citations.

They just continued to stonewall me!! I couldn't get ANYWHERE!! Yes, I talked to every boss I could!! Their boss and my supervisors, but couldn't get anywhere. I filed a complaint, but nothing happened, except ME getting accused again of "losing" the ticket!!

Later, I was told (by another deputy) this guy owns thousands of acres of land in South Georgia. He has politicians, including former governors come to his property to hunt, fish and for parties. I was also told former and current MLB baseball players come to his property to hunt. My response to all this was "Then he should be able to afford a $250.00 ticket."

Now, I realize this is a long comment and probably a waste of time. But I just wanted to say that I KNOW, rich people are treated differently. If a poor slub in the trailer park or projects gets a speeding charge, they've got NO help!! They can barely, if at all, afford to pay the citiation, but what else can they do? But some RICH guy, who can easily afford the ticket, uses their influence and power to get out of a $250.00 fine!! Simple amazing!!

I know this happens!! But what can be done about it? You will NEVER get congressmen and women to vote themselves term limits and you will NEVER get rich people with power, to voluntarily limit their own power!! It simply will NEVER happen!!

This is just ONE of the many reasons I place my trust in God!! He will make this right, one day!! When I see things like this and when it gets me down, I read Psalms 37; about how seeing the evil people, getting away with what they are doing. When I see drug dealers, getting away with their actions, I read Psalms 37. When I see people I believe are guilty of crimes, win in court on some technicality of the law, I read Pslams 37. Nothing, these people are doing, is going unnoticed!!

Please take the time to read Psalms 37!! Even if you don't believe in God, I don't see how you could find fault in this chapter!!

deestafford
deestafford 08/18/13 - 06:38 am
The letter writer hits the nail on the head

Our "ruling elite" are living and acting like Louis XV and his royal court.

I think the biggest problem we have with all three branches of government is they have got so far away from the Constitution and its intent and foundation. They are making polices and laws based on what feelings and not what the law is. In some cases they even know what the law is and still violate it.

A perfect example of this is when obama was asked during an interview with the NYT what did he think about criticism by some members of the congress who said he violated the Constitution by some delays he made in the implementing some aspects of obamacare as required by law. His response, "I think I know more about the Constitution than the republicans in congress." Talk about arrogance! Don't anyone give me that horse squeeze that he was a constitutional law "professor". He was a lecturer because he did not qualify for a professership---full, assistant, or adjunct.

I would bet a month's pay that half of the Congress has not read the complete Constitution and I would bet at least 90% of the black caucus has never read it. This is evident when in that rare instance one of them tries to reference some specific aspect of the Constitution.

As far as the Federalist Papers go, most of them don't even know what they are or who wrote them much less read them.

If one wants a good education on the Constitution go to www.hillsdale.edu and sign up for their free on line course on the Constitution. One of the best things one can do to understand the foundation of our country.

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 08/18/13 - 07:32 am
The wealthiest? Lobbyists and

The wealthiest? Lobbyists and people who shill for corporations and billionaires. I wonder how it could be the wealthiest in the nation? Those are the elite that are controlling the government, buying elections, and, for the most part, side with the GOP. Koch, Walton, Scaife. Coors, Adelson,, and the list goes on. The old Confederacy is doing what it did years ago, the big money folks are suckering the little guys into going against their own interests. Hillsdale, good little Nazis. Do as ordered and attend right wing Christian gatherings and right wing speeches OR ELSE!

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 08/18/13 - 07:47 am
exemption

The assertion that Congress is exempt from the Affordable Care Act is pure right-wing fantasy. No it's more than that: it's a lie, invented and perpetuated by Obama haters. If readers are really interested in the facts, and not the lies and fantasies parroted in conservative media, a simple googling will suffice. Go on, I dare you!

KSL
KSL 08/18/13 - 08:17 am
KSL
KSL 08/18/13 - 08:19 am
Eel doesn't warrant a

Eel doesn't warrant a comment.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 08/18/13 - 08:59 am
KSL

If you wish to remain a low information voter on this topic, that's your prerogative. What I posted is a fact, your withering condescension and apparent disregard for the truth notwithstanding.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 08/18/13 - 08:59 am
KSL

So Gates, Buffett, and Ellison are Democrats. Here's a question:
why are these men, who got astoundingly wealthy by succeeding in America's capitalistic system, liberals?

myfather15
myfather15 08/18/13 - 09:32 am
Bod and EEL

Yes, they ARE!!! And your deception won't change that!! Their BELIEFS make them liberal progressives, not their wealth!! These ALL are billionaires who donate to LIBERAL politicians; but don't let TRUTH get in your way!!

George Soros, Charles Ergen, Vance K. Opperman, Daniel Abraham, Warren Buffett, Jeffrey Katzenberg, Robert F.X. Sillerman, George Lucas, Alice Walton, Paul Allen, Sumner Redstone, Bill Gates, William Barron Hilton, Eric Schmidt, William Randolph Hearst III, Marc Benioff, Anthony Pritzker, Ray Milton Dolby, Charles Schwab, Robert Kraft, Gordon P. Getty II,

It's funny BOD; I never hear you mentioned these peoples name, only the Koch brothers and Coors family!! Your hypocrisy is pathetic!!

myfather15
myfather15 08/18/13 - 09:39 am
EEL

No, they aren't exempt from the ENTIRE bill ; just certain provisions of it that WE aren't exempt to!! Boy, do you love to play word games!!! You know that by saying the aren't totally exempt, you are correct; but darn well know they are exempt from certain provisions!!

And YES, there have been ATTEMPTS to exempt them from the entire thing!!

KSL
KSL 08/18/13 - 09:40 am
Eel, you are the one who is

Eel, you are the one who is condescending, calling me a low information voter. Let me ask you what makes you think that I believe that Congress is exempt? Or were you just getting your daily exercise from jumping to conclusions?

myfather15
myfather15 08/18/13 - 09:42 am
KSL

"Eel doesn't warrant a comment."

Neither does Bod, but I LOVE bringing their hypocrisy to light!!

Of ALL the liberal minded commenters on here; I believe Bod is the absolutely worst for hit&run rhetoric!!

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 08/18/13 - 10:22 am
KSL

"...what makes you think that I believe that Congress is exempt?" I suppose because when I posted that Congress was NOT exempt, your response was that my post was not worth commenting on. So does this mean you actually agree with me? If not, please explain.

pearlthesquirrel
pearlthesquirrel 08/18/13 - 10:22 am
really?

The "rich" live under different rules than you or I? Nah, that can't be. The Constitution says "We, the people....," does it not? For example, let's look at G.E. - they get 46% of their revenue within the U.S., yet, they claim only 18% of their profits originate here, thus avoiding big taxes and, even get money back!
Can you say "loophole?" Sure you can! In the Great Recession of 2008, big-wheels A.I.G. got $150 billion in bailout money - that's more than what was spent on welfare to the poor over a 17 year span from 1990 to 2006. How much bailout money did you get if you lost your house, your savings, or your pride? That's what I thought - ZERO! Yea, and people continually tell me I'm off my rocker because I tell citizens we live in a plutocracy surrounded by an oligarchy wrapped up in a corporatocracy.

And just to end, I get a kick out of the Opinion section on Sundays. The Chronicle will print a 3 x 3 letter from somebody and the rest of the Opinion section is cluttered up with conservative blowhard opinions. Didn't the Chronicle just have an editorial about - and I'm paraphrasing here - "Keep sending in those letters.....we print even obnoxious viewpoints...the readers make The Chronicle what it is.... we don't play it one way or the other.....keep sending in those cards and letters boys and girls..." and then they print one, miniscule letter in Sundays Opinion section all the time - hmmmmmm?

KSL
KSL 08/18/13 - 10:55 am
It is your posting demeanor I

It is your posting demeanor I was referring to.

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/18/13 - 12:39 pm
Good grief EEL you seem like

Good grief EEL you seem like an educated person and so should know that ad hominem isn't an argument. Calling people low info voters isn't necessary nor is an argument. As far as I know Congress isn't exempt just 70% of their benefits will be paid by you and I, and Congress should be admonished for not creating a path for Congress to adhere to the mandate-Congress is the only group mandated to join the exchange-unlike all of us. Just like they should be admonished for not making sure computer software,etc. were up and running. Just further proof Congress is inept at implementing health care. I would be the first to support universal health care if I thought it would work here. After WWII the japanese life spam was something like 45 years of age so their govt changed that with universal health care and with changes in lifestyle and diet they forced on the japanese they now live longer than Americans. But because we have a spoiled republic that mostly refuses to be proactive (except for educated folks) so our health care problems will continue

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 08/18/13 - 01:08 pm
ad hominem

As you surely must know, Bizkit, it was Rush Limbaugh who popularized the demeaning phrase "low information voter," and it has of course been picked up by conservative posters here. I have seen it used many, many times in this forum to refer to Democratic voters, where most of the time it is a thinly disguised reference to African-Americans. I used the phrase "low information voter" today with a full sense of its irony, and the satisfaction of knowing exactly why it would get under the skin of right-wing posters.

myfather15
myfather15 08/18/13 - 01:15 pm
EEL

"Democratic voters, where most of the time it is a thinly disguised reference to African-Americans."

So, do you have proof of this; or is this just a blind irresponsible accusation?

You do realize, that with the harsh feelings towards racists today (rightfully so); it's extremely irresponsible to to throw out such racism claims, without evidence?

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 08/18/13 - 01:19 pm
Japan

Bizkit, yes, Japan does have universal health care, and while not single-payer, the government is deeply involved in setting insurance rates (graduated by income) and reimbursement rates (doctors make much, much less than in the U.S.). Let's be frank: the main reason such a system is impossible in the U.S. is the leverage of the medical services lobby and the political intransigence of conservatives.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 08/18/13 - 01:21 pm
myfather15

R-U-S-H-L-I-M-B-A-U-G-H.

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/18/13 - 01:40 pm
EEL, My apologizes I didn't

EEL, My apologizes I didn't pick up on your irony. I agree with the medical service lobbies having too much clout. The AMA is now a joke and physicians have little say anymore-being told by insurance companies how to practice medicine or limit possibilities, then the paranoia over lawsuits and unearthly cost of physicians liability insurance. Reminds me how the govt took over farming. Farmers have little say over their occupation anymore. I think targeted education is the key to health care as is the key to wealth disparity. Too many kids accumulate huge debt and choose a career with little ability to pay their debt-of course I'm not saying you can't be successful at anything-but your chances of success increase by choosing wisely . That and marrying someone who has chosen an education in something that pays. Let's face there are only about 1500 millionaires in the US so the vast majority of 1% are couples who both make over 125K that together push them to 1% population. Reminds me of Indiana Jones in search of the Holy Grail and the fellow who chose poorly the wrong cup.

myfather15
myfather15 08/18/13 - 02:10 pm
EEL

"I have seen it used many, many times in this forum to refer to Democratic voters, where most of the time it is a thinly disguised reference to African-Americans."

Correct me if I'm wrong; but I don't think Rush Limbaugh is commenting on the Augusta Chronicle.

But, since you mentioned it; do you have PROOF that Rush uses it towards African-American voters? I believe he uses it towards ALL democratic voters. I've listened to Rush and he has explained what he means by low-information voters; never heard african-americans mention in the explanation.

Are we supposed to simply take your word for it?

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/18/13 - 01:44 pm
It has been reported that

It has been reported that salaried physicians in Japan receive the lowest annual income. On an average, it has been reported that physicians in Japan receive around 300000 yen per month. However, self-employed physicians in Japan with their own medical practice that contains their own dispensaries earn an attractive annual income. Self-employed physicians in Japan receive an average annual income of up to 20 million yen per year.

Although, the annual salary for physicians in Japan depends on various factors such as years of work experience, specialized field, level of qualification and geographic location to name a few. In Japan, physicians with 1 year of work experience receive an average yearly salary ranging from between 11-12M yen. Based on geographic location, the physicians employed in Tokyo receive a median monthly salary ranging from between 7,000$-8,000$ per month. In addition, physicians employed in other areas in Japan received a much higher income which could average to a total annual income of around 12 million yen per year.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 08/18/13 - 02:33 pm
MF15

"... never heard african-americans mention in the explanation." Well, then, that certainly proves it! Like he's going to admit it! How much mileage did Limbaugh get from the African-American woman in Cleveland who was so excited about getting a free cellphone? That video clip played over and over in the right-wing media. But of course that was not racist!

carcraft
carcraft 08/18/13 - 02:44 pm
EEL not ever reference that

EEL not ever reference that is repeated that has been made by a black person is not racist . I reference BOO GOT SHOT on Boortz by Royal Marshall and the video "ain't got time for that!

KSL
KSL 08/18/13 - 03:30 pm
carcraft

Boo Got Shot-- One of my all-time favs.

chascushman
chascushman 08/18/13 - 03:52 pm
" I reference BOO GOT SHOT on

" I reference BOO GOT SHOT on Boortz by Royal Marshall and the video "ain't got time for that!"
I called the Boortz show during the campaign in 08 to ask Boortz why Royal who was pretty conservative supported Obama. The lady that answered the phone put Royal on the phone. He said no way I was going ask that question on the air. Royal said that even though he was pretty conservative 'if you came from where I did you would support him too'. Royal seemed like a great guy but I could not agree voting for anybody because of the color of their skin. The left called Boortz a racist but Royal was one of his best friends.

myfather15
myfather15 08/18/13 - 04:28 pm
EEL

"Well, then, that certainly proves it! Like he's going to admit it!"

See EEL, that's the difference; I didn't make an allegation of racism, so the burden of PROOF is NOT upon me!!

YOU made the allegation that "low-information" voters; IS referering to African-Americans. So the BURDEN of proof is on YOU!! But you refuse to prove your allegation!! It's very reckless to accuse someone of such a serious offense, but NOT be able to prove it!!

If I charge someone with DUI and go to court. The defense ask's me what evidence I have that his client was DUI and I say "He was DUI because I say he was DUI". It's NOT goning to be a good day for me!!

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/18/13 - 06:17 pm
Your comment about the

Your comment about the wealthy receiving special privilege has a long history. It is that way with the judicial system too where the rich either walk or receive less severe penalties often because of their uber-expensive lawyer who specializes in such shenanigans. But in small communities these wealthy also contribute a lot to the community in being a principal employer and being philanthropic (books written on the shifts of the wealthy from greed to philanthropy and we see that today with Gates, etc).
I agree they often have too much influence as we see even locally and the fact they often feel entitled to any perks just really ticks me off-get over yourself already! But often you see a wishful entitlement attitude and elitist attitude with the uber-educated too. "I'm the most intelligent and educated person in the room with a PhD in neurotoxicology and a PhD in quantum physics but I only make 70K a year. While this toothless hillbilly "turtle man" is pullin' 200 plus grand a year-yeeeehawwwwww! Don't you just love America. hee,hee,hee. See from poor or middle class to wealth Turtle man is an american hero-and as Barney Fife would say "He's a nut".

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/18/13 - 06:26 pm
We can't discriminate against

We can't discriminate against voters by information. Likely recently americanized foreigners would beat most native born americans-sadly I say. I would wager well over half of all voters are really low information voters because unless it directly influences their daily lives they are often too busy with the demands of life and some just don't care. I was just visiting one of my kids and lambasted them for not keeping up with current news or current events.

High court rules in probation case

Georgia's Supreme Court issued a unanimous decision concluding that it is legal for local courts to contract with private companies to supervise offenders on probation for minor violations.