Keep mixed-oxide plant open

On further thought, my position is that reducing plutonium stocks is urgent and dictates starting mixed-oxide fuel at the earliest possible time.

Plutonium or enriched uranium is essential to make a nuclear bomb. Having either on a shelf somewhere is a terrorist’s dream, and terror will be a continuing threat. Enriched uranium easily can be blended down with ordinary uranium, but the many tons of plutonium will last until we render it useless as a bomb component.

MOX is a mix of the oxides of uranium and plutonium that can be used as a fuel for commercial power plants. It takes its plutonium out of harm’s way. The most important role in making it was in just getting rid of an essential component of a nuke, but getting some money for the product is a plus.

The cost of making MOX was wildly underestimated, many billions being spent. Those costs cannot be recovered. They are “sunk,” so we can and should write it all off. That huge cost serves to rule out building a second MOX plant. A second one? Well, MOX was sized always to be short of handling less than half the plutonium, and falls further and further short as we scale back the number of deployed nukes, releasing more and more tons of plutonium.

We must not waste the work already done in building the MOX facilities.

We need to finish its construction and start making MOX. We also need to decide the next method we shall choose to work off all the tons of plutonium we will have to dispose of.

It would be madness not to use the facilities, now nearly completed, to do this vitally important task. That mission is still essential.

Victor Reilly

Aiken, S.C.

bubbasauce
20603
bubbasauce 08/15/13 - 07:54 am
Does anyone recall a special

Does anyone recall a special on 60 minutes some 20 years ago about the cancer rate in the Aiken/ New Ellington area being the highest in the USA. It was a very good show and I have worked in nuclear plants all over America including Spain and Mexico. What I am getting at is I have avoided SRS my whole career because of questionable activities out there.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/15/13 - 08:01 am
A John Kerry Moment

Victor Reilly was against it before he was for it.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 08/15/13 - 08:52 am
Victor must have realized he

Victor must have realized he has stock in the construction company building the Mox facility !

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 08/15/13 - 10:33 am
I thought you were limited to

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 08/15/13 - 10:42 am
Changing the LTE's subject

"I thought you were limited to 1 letter every 30 days? I guess if you make a complete flip flop, they will make an exception."

WHEN are we going to be grased with YOUR NEXT LTE ?? My time limit is up on the 19th, how about your's and what is the subject going to be ??

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 08/15/13 - 10:47 am
I was taught if you don't

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 08/15/13 - 11:10 am
Hey Mr. Reilly, I absolutely

Hey Mr. Reilly, I absolutely LOVED you in "Blazing Saddles"!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 08/15/13 - 11:15 am
@ 10:47

"I was taught if you don't have anything to say, don't say anything. When the mood hits me, I'll write a LTE. But you can be assured I won't do like Mr Reilly and completely contradict what I wrote just the day before."

Just write one, already. If there was ever a commentor that has something to write about, it is you.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 08/15/13 - 11:23 am
MOX idea in the 70's

I believe it was Gulf Oil that built AGNS near Barnwell. Until Pres. Jimmy Carter PULLED THE PLUG, this facility was going to take spent nuclear fuel rods, disolve the spent fuel, and this resulting nuclear seperation would have been used to make new fuel.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 08/15/13 - 11:32 am
Quote from LTE

"We need to finish its construction and start making MOX."

The facility most likely would not be in trouble of having funding pulled if the current stages of construction was not several millions of dollares over budget !!

mooseye
mooseye 08/15/13 - 11:34 am
I happened to work on AGNS,

and I am pretty sure it was shut down to appease the nuclear protesters at the time.
As I remember, it was deemed the process was unsafe.
I do agree that the MOX facility should be completed and used for what it was designed. But chances are it won't and all those tax dollars will be wasted once again.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 08/15/13 - 11:50 am
Speaking of government waste

The feds built a cooling tower like those at Plant Vogtle for K reactor I believe. Used it less than a year. I believe it has been leveled.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 08/15/13 - 03:16 pm
Speaking of LTE envy

In stead of getting angry about and having LTE envy over the LTE policy, one should never miss an opportunity to write one and send it to The ACES.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 08/15/13 - 08:31 pm
Bless your heart.....

Bless your heart.....

SCEagle Eye
SCEagle Eye 08/15/13 - 10:34 pm
skyrocketing costs sinking MOX project

Looks like there are more people than big spenders Lindsey Graham and Joe Wilson who don't want to talk abut the $20 billion left to be spent on the overall MOX program. But it will likely die before all that money is wasted. Where are investigations into mismanagement, poor planning, over-spending, deign problems, no customers, etc? You can build a house on speculation but not an $8 billion MOX plant with no customers. The tax payer gets the shaft by the big spenders, yet again. Time for fiscal conservatives to ax the Graham/Wilson MOX boondoggle.

KSL
KSL 08/15/13 - 11:32 pm
HA

Be afraid, very afraid of 55 year old cyber stalkers.