Housing complaints mount

Recently, I, as a concerned citizen, wrote a letter to the editor concerning the city’s upkeep of Watkins Street, East Boundary Street, Forsyth Street and others. It took two years of constant calling to Augusta Cares to get the concerns taken care of. Just ride in these areas and notice the changes.

Now, I’m writing this letter about the deficiencies in the following areas, which are under the U.S. Housing Authority:

• Oak Pointe Apartments

• Allen Homes

• M.M. Scott Apartments

All these are near Laney-Walker Boulevard and the East Boundary area.

I have called each one of the above to relay my concerns. Several messages were left at each location. I may have talked to three people, and no one could give a direct answer.

If they don’t know, why are they there? What a waste to have uninformed people in positions of responsibility.

I mentioned the following:

• Grass and hedges have been uncut for several months.

• Potholes need to be repaired.

• Patio areas are hidden by overgrown trees and hedges.

• Grass is left on sidewalks, outside on the street and in front-door entrances to other residences.

When the grass is left like that, it also stops up storm drains. We have a serious problem with flooding in this area, and this contributes to these problems.

When I did ask about the lawn, I was told they had changed to another lawn service and it would be taken care of, yet it has not. One person asked me where my residence was, and my response was that I live in my own home, which I own. It is not really important where one lives to be a concerned citizen. Their question implies that if you don’t live in the area involved, you should mind your own business.

Families live in these areas, so why can’t they be kept up far better than they are?

Doretha Hollins-Williams

Augusta

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/12/13 - 03:30 am
Excellent letter

Excellent letter by an involved person. Thanks for all you do, Ms. Hollins-Williams.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 08/12/13 - 06:38 am
When asked where do you live

... the correct answer is, "In a home I pay for and must maintain with my own money, while I am heavily taxed to pay for others' upkeep. Which isn't being done."

Gary Ross
Gary Ross 08/12/13 - 06:57 am
Totally dependant on government?

Why can't the residents of places like this do something to improve their own environment??????? My guess is that they just don't care. But they do seem to care enough to complain when things don't go the way they want. And Lordy Be if we should ask them to go an extra mile to help someone else!

Ask not what this country can do for you...

allhans
allhans 08/12/13 - 07:13 am
Yes. The residents could

Yes. The residents could band together once or twice a month and in a few hours make a big difference. It is done in many communities around town where people care - why not at these locations.

Young Fred
19436
Young Fred 08/12/13 - 08:10 am
A perfect example of so

A perfect example of so called charity that many on this website constantly champion for ... and a perfect example of enabling.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/12/13 - 08:14 am
Great letter but

I agree some in the homes need to help....this is the very thing some kids on detention should have to do....keep their minds busy.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 08/12/13 - 08:50 am
Their interest in maintaining the property

... is in direct proportion to how much they have PERSONALLY invested in the place. In these cases, nothing.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 08/12/13 - 09:04 am
Instead of

the entire gubmint getting "involved" with clean-up, there should be consideration for having chain gangs to clean city and county streets and roads. People assigned to community service should be requred to clean up these areas as punishment. This could serve a two-fold purpose. Embarassment and cost savings. One more thing. Put high profile probationers on these details. That will certainly draw "undue" attention to committing their next crime. I do realize that these v.i.p.s are "untouchable" because the other "untouchables" know they'll be next when they are caught.

Susan McCord
Susan McCord 08/12/13 - 09:25 am
Question

Have you tried contacting Augusta Housing Authority? I think they're involved in management of at least a couple of the developments you mention, and have an office in Augusta on Walton Way.

corgimom
corgimom 08/12/13 - 10:25 am
First, the residents can't do

First, the residents can't do anything to the property, it doesn't belong to them.

I wouldn't want some of those people anywhere near power equipment. Seriously.

To condemn the residents for not maintaining the property is not appropriate.

What you SHOULD be asking is, "We pay lots of tax dollars to maintain those properties, why isn't it being done? Where is the money going? What are the people doing, that are being PAID to do this work?"

dichotomy
dichotomy 08/12/13 - 11:00 am
Everything mentioned as a

Everything mentioned as a deficiency, except the potholes, is cosmetic and could, and should, be done by the residents. I don't understand why we they can't cut their own grass. Do taxpayers pay extra for that contract? Isn't it enough that we have to pay for their housing? Do we have to cut their grass, trim their bushes, and sweep their sidewalks for them too? I suppose that next someone will request that we send Molly Maids by once a week to clean their apartments for them too. Ain't socialism great?

Real people cut their own shrubs, bushes, and grass and they sweep their own sidewalks. If they are too old, they pay some kids to do it. Oh wait, they can't do that there because the kids are too busy down on the corner selling drugs and shooting at each other. Sorry...I lost my head there for a few minutes. Just hang on a few days and the taxpayers will send a crew around to tidy up around the house they provide you.

If the taxpayer feeds, clothes, and houses people and they STILL won't lift a finger to help themselves or improve their surroundings, don't you think that at some point in time the taxpayers are entitled to just throw their hands up in the air and walk away. I'm getting tired of providing total life support for other people and paying to feed their kids...twice for each meal. I refuse to feel guilt because their shrubs aren't trimmed and there is grass left on their sidewalks. Give them some hedge clippers and a broom and tell them "Have at it". If you ain't got enough pride and gumption to clean up your own area...I'm not inclined to help you.

Sweet son
Sweet son 08/12/13 - 11:08 am
corgimom?

I think if I lived anywhere and was not satisfied with how my place looked I would clean it up. These people don't feel any responsibility and don't care! The letter writer should do more than just cruise the neighborhoods and complain. She should lead an effort to get the residents to take some responsibility and help clean up. But it won't happen.

tom31510
tom31510 08/12/13 - 12:01 pm
Residents

I used to work for a landscape contractor that had contracts to maintain some Section Eight subsidized apartment complexes. Our guys mowing the grass were constantly frustrated by all the toys, trash & debris left all over the lawns. Children left outside when parents obviously hear mowing equipment was another concern; no one wants to risk a rock or other projectile flying from his mower and hitting a child. There definitely are things residents can do to improve the landscaping around their residences.

Young Fred
19436
Young Fred 08/12/13 - 12:04 pm
Dichotomy and Sweet son – you

Dichotomy and Sweet son – you both make excellent and accurate points. It simply amazes me how some seek to excuse inexcusable behavior.

Of course you do realize that some will suggest that your suggestions, trying to force freeriders to show a little dignity and self-respect in return for their free ride, is in and of itself, demeaning. Go figure!

chascushman
chascushman 08/12/13 - 03:11 pm
"Second, they aren't allowed

"Second, they aren't allowed to use the equipment, for liability and safety reasons. Not to mention, a lot of it would grow legs and walk away."
corgimom, why do you keep defending the deadbeats?

mzpeachzz
mzpeachzz 08/12/13 - 06:06 pm
I LIVE HERE!!!

I would like to thank the people that are commenting positively about solutions and not downing the people in MY COMMUNITY!
first allow me to educate all the ones that seem to feel that they are the only ones that pay taxes...
1. everybody that lives in this community or under public housing assistance doesn't live for free! U HAVE TO HAVE AN INCOME!

2. RATHER U PAY RENT OR NOT, the housing authority charges ALL residents $25 PER PIECE of trash found around your unit. mind u, if there is a bag of trash next to the dumpster, they dig in the trash bag to find something with an address so that they know who to charge, GROSS! but residents are the "DEADBEAT" at $25 apiece I guess so (this is stated in the lease). WHERE DOES THIS MONEY GO?

I agree that the trash should be constantly picked up by both residents and the employees that are hired to do so! The grass is cut by a lawn company (VASSER BROTHERS LAWN CARE) that I'm sure is contracted by the government, meaning OUR TAX DOLLARS are paying them to do a half job. they complain because they have to cut around the trash but instead of telling the office manager to make sure that the maintenance department does their job so that correctly cut the grass, they just cut over the trash which creates more mess.
Here's my problem with that:
they have other contracts that not HOUSING OR SECTION 8 and I'll bet my RENT MONEY that those other contracts don't look the way they leave this property.
my other problem is that the office manager sees this property EVERY DAY and its ok with her for the it to look this way. I wonder if her home looks like that?

3. my lease states that I have a responsibility to maintain or keep up the appearance of my apartment as they will maintain a "safe and CLEAN environment". which includes but not limited to cutting grass, maintaining trash....

4. These disgusting HATEFUL comments that people have posted is what makes people in these positions (office managers, directors assistant directors...) feel that is ok to NOT TO DO THEIR JOBS!!

5. when u live in any apartment complex grass cutting, trash clean up ...etc. is included in the lease, how is it ok that you can complain About something they pay for then why cant we?

6. for the record most off the trash comes from the homes that are close to us. the residents throw their trash right next to or on top off the container with no regard.

*FOR THE RECORD WE DO COMPLAIN, CARE, AND CUT OUR OWN GRASS (ALTHOUGH WE PAY FOR IT TO BE DONE) BUT WHEN WE DO, WE GET PUNISHED OR REPERMENDED FOR SPEAKING OUT SO THANK U MS. DORETHA FOR BEING OUR VOICE!!!!!

FIND OUT THE FACTS BEFORE YOU FORM A REDICULOUS HATEFUL AND STUPID COMMENT OR OPINION!!!!

PS. HOUSING EMPLOYEES DO YOUR JOBS BEFORE SOMEONE LIKE ME COMES AND TAKE YOUR JOB AND I WILL BE ABLE TO AFFORD TO BUY MY OWN HOME!!!!! ( WHICH I PLAN TO DO ANYWAY FOR LIVING HERE IS TEMPORAY!)

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 08/12/13 - 06:13 pm
To the writer

Why do you feel special? Seems to me like everything else in the county is equally unkempt.

Pops
Pops 08/12/13 - 08:03 pm
I thought

that millions and millions of tax dollars had been poured into this area.....wait....don't tell me........we needs more..........should someone from the medical complex stop by every day and bath these people.....where does it stop???????

myfather15
myfather15 08/12/13 - 09:19 pm
Are these senior citizen

Are these senior citizen housing complexes? If not, then each resident should take some pride in their own area. BUY A PUSH MOWER and Weed eater for petes sake!! Put a little sweat into it and you will have more pride in yourself and where you live!! No one purchased my mower and weed eater for me and certainly no one USES THEM on my yard for me!! I can't for the life of me, see why someone would make complaints when HEALTHY adults live here.

Now, if it's senior housing or disabled housing; you've got a great point and it needs to be addressed.

myfather15
myfather15 08/12/13 - 09:30 pm
"for the record most off the

"for the record most off the trash comes from the homes that are close to us. the residents throw their trash right next to or on top off the container with no regard."

First of all, I don't believe that "most" of the trash comes from the homes that are close to you. SOME, absolutely, but "most" I seriously have my doubts.

But, you also stated: "mind u, if there is a bag of trash next to the dumpster, they dig in the trash bag to find something with an address so that they know who to charge, GROSS!"

Well, if they were doing this as you claim, you would think they would find the addresses of those "homes close to us" that are ILLEGALLY throwing their trash into your dumpsters. Then they could call the Sheriff's Office or Marshall's Department and citations would be issue to those residents for illegal dumping.

"PS. HOUSING EMPLOYEES DO YOUR JOBS BEFORE SOMEONE LIKE ME COMES AND TAKE YOUR JOB AND I WILL BE ABLE TO AFFORD TO BUY MY OWN HOME!!!!!"

See, I don't see how, in the same comment; you claim they aren't doing their jobs worth a flip, but also claim they are methodically going through trash to make sure you guy's aren't leaving trash around.

The problem with the grass cutting, is they usually hire those landscaping companies to cut the grass every couple weeks. It's a pre-determined during the negotiations, how many times a month they will cut. They don't know how much RAIN is going to fall, therefore once every couple weeks THIS YEAR, simply isn't enough. With all the rain we've had, the grass will be knee high in a couple weeks. The more times a month the company cuts, the more $$$ they expect!! I know this, because I've also ran a lawn care business part time and have cut several hotels in the area. Usually, it's once every couple weeks. Solution? Buy a push mower!! Cheap and gets the job done with a little sweat!!

JRC2024
JRC2024 08/12/13 - 09:39 pm
Mzpeach can you and your

Mzpeach can you and your neighbors clean it yourselves if you do not like what you get. I pay for my own. Why not you. And if you think the subsdized rent is enough to take care of those places you are not in tune to what it costs to run the apartments.