Where is our nation going?

I look around at our country and wonder: Where are we going?

More people than ever are on disability and government support. Fewer people than just a few years ago are working! Our country continues to grow in population and fewer people are contributing. The number of children born out of wedlock continues to increase. Our representatives in Washington, D.C., pass health-care laws that we have to live with, but they don’t. The Internal Revenue Service goes after groups they don’t like. Government gets bigger and more involved in our lives and nobody cares.

I’m not being political here. I am concerned.

I don’t know where we are going.

Marion Shaw

Swainsboro

carcraft
carcraft 08/08/13 - 04:49 am
I often shake my head myself!

I often shake my head myself!

myfather15
myfather15 08/08/13 - 05:12 am
Disaster, that's where we are

Disaster, that's where we are headed and it absolutely does NOT matter which political group occupy's the White House. Both have been taking us down this road for some time now, Obama just hit the Nitrous Oxide when he got in office!!

myfather15
myfather15 08/08/13 - 05:16 am
Noone, absolutely NOONE has

Noone, absolutely NOONE has the spine to SAY and DO what actually needs to be done today!! If they did, they would be attacked viciously and called heartless and uncaring!! Because we would be cutting back on a lot of assistance!! But before cutting assistance to American's we would actually stop wasteful spending, by making it criminal!!

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/08/13 - 06:01 am
Well this instance I support

Well this instance I support wealth redistribution. I want to take it directly from all the millionaires in congress directly to the poor folks. That way they leave my money alone ,and with them paying just a matter of time before they vote to reduce and eliminate it. Great idea!

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 08/08/13 - 06:36 am
Bizkit...that really isn't

Bizkit...that really isn't wealth redistribution, seeing as the money they have was forcibly taken from the taxpayers to begin with.

lovingthesouth72
lovingthesouth72 08/08/13 - 07:43 am
Abe can explain why

Where is our nation going? As long as this president is in charge, we are doing straight to the dump, that's for sure! - And Abraham Lincoln can explain why: "You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred. You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence. You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." --Abraham Lincoln (Remember him....he is the REPUBLICAN president who abolished slavery)

deestafford
deestafford 08/08/13 - 08:21 am
deestafford
deestafford 08/08/13 - 08:36 am
When one reads history one sees we have had

corrupt politicians since the Founding. In earlier times their influence had been the equivilent of throwing a pebble in a pond. Now their corruption and unwanted influence is the equivilent of throwing a huge boulder in the pond and the resulting wave is overwhelming us.

Just one small example. Harry Reid the senate majority leader from Nevada came to DC with no wealth and now he is a multi-millionaire as result of land deals in which he used his advance DC knowledge. There are examples like that on both sides of the aisle.

So many politicians, particularly in the House, are there because they represent districts which want a Santa Claus as the government and the people keeping putting them back in. These represent the moocher class and the representatives make sure they keep these people dependent on Uncle Sugar because the representatives know they are not capable of having a decent income by being anything other than an enabler in Congress.

Many of the elected leaders in DC don't like this country and what it stands for and want to do any and everything they can to change it. Former Congressman West said there are at least 80 representatives in Congress who are communists. I have seen the list and cannot argue with any one whose name is on it.

myfather15
myfather15 08/08/13 - 08:53 am
deestafford

Absolutely correct!! Why do you think these politicians refuse to retire? They simply can't give up such power, influence and relevance. They've got the inside track to EVERYTHING, and THAT is not easy to give up. That's why we see politicians stay in office well into their 80's, when they should be retired, living an easy life and fishing somewhere.

Take a look at this list of how long people serve and the reason's why they left. It's amazing, at least to me. We NEED term limits!!!!!!

I've got a message for politicians: We don't need your narcissistic butt in office for 30+ years!! It's supposed to be service to the public, not an entire career!! Serve a couple terms and GET OUT!!! Go fishing and golfing!!

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 08/08/13 - 08:57 am
Many states, California

Many states, California included, has term limits. The POTUS has a term limit. Why not a term limit for members of congress?

Gary Ross
Gary Ross 08/08/13 - 09:08 am
Life happens in cycles

You have good days, and then you have bad days. We have good government for a while, and then bad. The pendulum is already starting to swing back because more and more people are seeing the madness that the current administration stands for. Especially the dispicable lies and deceiptful actions. Concerned? Yes, me too. However, I think things will eventually come back around in government if it's not too late. As far as the bad moral habits of the "takers" in this country, I don't think there is much hope. Instead of trying to help themselves, they expect special treatment. When the wefare and food stamp programs run dry, they will be the first true casualties of obama's war on our society.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 08/08/13 - 09:09 am
"Why not a term limit for

"Why not a term limit for members of congress?"

Unfortunately it is because Congress members are the ones that would have to vote to approve term limits.

pearlthesquirrel
pearlthesquirrel 08/08/13 - 09:53 am
Where?

I'll answer Marion Shaw's question: Right down the Glacier Bay, that's where!

And, there are already term limits in place for the corrupt, ruthless, don't give a damn eggheads that constitute Congress. Those "term limits" are called "the right to vote." May I suggest you use them!

deestafford
deestafford 08/08/13 - 10:17 am
After they have been there awhile they think they are

indespensible and things will not get done because "it takes awhile to learn how the system works". They are the ones who have made the system so unwieldy that NOBODY understands it.

Do you recall how last week they were screaming about having to subsidize the healthcare, obamacare premiums because otherwise they would have "brain drain" if those aides and staffers would leave if they had to be under the same system as we peons?

So many of the problems we have today are the "solutions" of "problems" we had before and congress "fixed" them.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 08/08/13 - 11:01 am
Quote from LTE

"Our country continues to grow in population and fewer people are contributing."

This is one of the major arguements against immigration reform. "Crack down on illegals, and make more jobs for real Americans !!" The bad part of this argument is that almost ALL of the jobs done by illegals are paid significantly lower than the legal minimum wage !! Damned if you do and damned if you don't !! Whitch way should the government take us ?? IT IS NOT an easy question to answer !!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 08/08/13 - 11:29 am
No Federal government at all

Quite often, I get the feeling that conservatives, and especially ultra-conservatives, truly believe we would be much better off WITHOUT a Federal government !! I ask you, "Where would all of these over-paid jobs like SRS and Fort Gordon come from ??!!" You know, the jobs that seem to keep local economies alive and well ??

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 08/08/13 - 11:44 am
Funny that someone who keeps

myfather15
myfather15 08/08/13 - 12:15 pm
Giants

Your 9:57 post got a thumbs up from me and that's VERY rare!!

myfather15
myfather15 08/08/13 - 12:18 pm
So, how do WE THE PEOPLE,

So, how do WE THE PEOPLE, FORCE the federal government to put Term limits on the ballot? That's what I want to know, because I'm ALL IN for forcing them!! This is OUR Country, not theirs!! THEY shouldn't be allowed to make that decision, because it goes against their personal benefit, therefore it should be a "Conflict of interest" for them to be in charge of the decision!!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 08/08/13 - 01:05 pm
At 12:44

"Funny that someone who keeps saying that everyone deserves a "living wage" also criticizes those with a little more as being "overpaid." What is the dividing line?"

I worked at SRS for 6 years. BELIEVE ME, I know what being over-paid is all about !! In a country where tens of millions are paid twice and three times as much as minimum wages, I find that is TOTALLY UNFAIR to a very large section of the working population !! Can you honestly say that the low end of the paid workers don't deserve a living wage ??

myfather15
myfather15 08/08/13 - 01:25 pm
Wow, I've hit a new low!! I

Wow, I've hit a new low!! I told someone "Don't be ridiculous" and to use common sense and it got pulled. I know sometimes I go over board and deserve reprimand, but this I didn't see coming.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 08/08/13 - 01:50 pm
"In a country where tens of

"In a country where tens of millions are paid twice and three times as much as minimum wages, I find that is TOTALLY UNFAIR to a very large section of the working population !! Can you honestly say that the low end of the paid workers don't deserve a living wage ??"

So a person who studies hard and puts in the long hours required to become an engineer, should make the same as a person who dropped out of highschool and only shows the ambition to flip burgers? You will get your income equality when people have ambition equality. If you can define what a "living wage" is, then maybe we can discuss this more. Then take into account what happens when you raise the minimum wage. The cost of everything that people have to but goes up, therefore making their new wage not longer a "living wage." All it does is cause inflation.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 08/08/13 - 01:49 pm
And no....not everyone

And no....not everyone deserves a "living wage."

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 08/08/13 - 02:08 pm
HA @ 2:50

First, I want to appologize for saying something negative about your commenting style. I suppose everything is fair in debating and war.

Second, something told me not to "PICK_UP_THE_SWORD" to debate today !! You conservatives are way too good for my game today !!

Maybe later or tomorrow.

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/08/13 - 04:01 pm
The answer my friend is

The answer my friend is blowing out your end...I mean blowing in the wind. The answer is blowing in the wind.

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/08/13 - 04:14 pm
People like Weiner running

People like Weiner running for office just typify this issue. Even disgraced he doesn't care-no not even an excuse just we New Yorkers don't quit, Well he needs to know it's time to give up the erection!!!!-I mean election.

KSL
KSL 08/08/13 - 04:36 pm
Too funny, Biz.

Too funny, Biz.

deestafford
deestafford 08/08/13 - 05:03 pm
There should be NO minimum wage!

People should only be getting paid what they and the employer agree on. If the employer offers wages too low no one will apply and take the job. If the worker is asking more than he is worth he won't get hired. That is the tenant of the free market.

People cannot be paid more than they are worth to the employer.

The other thing about supply and demand in the work force is the more people who can do a job the less the wage. The fewer the people who can do the job, the higher the wage/compensation. A CEO can make or lose millions for a company based on his decisions. That's why he is paid the big bucks=responsibility and worth. Whereas, the rank and file on the shop floor will not make the company millions or lose it millions based on his decisions. Plus, there are many more people capable of doing his job than that of the CEO.

There is an economic principle that says value equals scarcity and utility. The value of something is not always measured in monetary ways. For example, take an empty one gallon plastic milk container. How much is it worth? How much is a 100 dollar bill worth to you? Well, the answer depends on where you are. The 100 dollar bill would be valueless if you were stranded where there was a well in which the water table was 25 feet down. But, the gallon milk jug will be worth your life in value.

The same principle of value applies to compensations for wages.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 08/08/13 - 06:42 pm
MyFather15 I gave a thumbs up

MyFather15
I gave a thumbs up to your comment about the thumbs up.