NSA spying for good reason

Horrible events have been occurring in our country these past 12 years in which thousands have been ruthlessly slaughtered by terrorists of our great nation.

There is so much pain and suffering caused by these animals it is hardly bearable, not to mention the torture the surviving families of these victims go through.

The National Security Agency (NSA) has been in the media as of late with a sour view of the information they collect under their surveillance program, and it is my desire to clear up some misconceptions for the American people.

The NSA collects phone and computer information that will help them piece together planned terrorist attacks and put a stop to them.

By law the NSA is only allowed to collect the information contained on a phone bill, namely the numbers dialed and duration of the call. In order for the NSA to listen in on anyone’s conversation, it must obtain a warrant through a judge, the same as in a criminal investigation. A warrant will not be issued unless the NSA has a valid claim that the phone calls will lead to information of a terrorist threat.

We live in a world in which information literally means the difference between life and death, as we never know when or where an attack will strike.

According to www.heritage.org, over 50 attacks on American soil have been prevented since 9-11 from the NSA using this surveillance program.

Think of how many thousands of lives have been saved already. As far as privacy goes, the only “privacy” that may be “invaded” by the NSA is the privacy of those who are trying to carry out or may be a part of terrorist plots. Do we really want to protect the same people trying to destroy our families?

In order to protect our families and fellow citizens the NSA gathers information before our common enemy can carry out an attack. These, my friends, are the facts of life. Though it may seem an inconvenience for the NSA to collect any of your information, it can save thousands of lives by doing so. Isn’t that alone worth the inconvenience?

Daniel Fordham

Augusta

specsta
specsta 08/05/13 - 02:13 am
Hoodwinked!

Daniel Forham wrote - "As far as privacy goes, the only “privacy” that may be “invaded” by the NSA is the privacy of those who are trying to carry out or may be a part of terrorist plots."

Time for me to get out the fake map of seaside homes for sale on the Montana coastline. If a person believes the NSA is ONLY spying on terrorists, that person will believe anything.

Whatever the government admits to you that they are doing (such as intercepting phone calls of American citizens) - it is most likely a hundred times worse.

carcraft
carcraft 08/05/13 - 06:19 am
Specsta, we agree!

Specsta, we agree! Government spying may be needed, it may be required, but as free citizens it is up to the citizens to decide. When ask about these programs the government lies to our representatives. This IS NOT the way it is supposed to work!

Old School Values
Old School Values 08/05/13 - 06:25 am
It is this type of thinking

It is this type of thinking that encourages the Government to constantly violate the Constitution. Daniel Fordham is delusional if he thinks NSA only records phone numbers, also FISA has never turned down a request from the NSA. Ben Franklin said it best ”He who would trade liberty for some temporary security, deserves neither liberty nor security.”

wribbs
wribbs 08/05/13 - 06:45 am
Waiting on someone to say,

Waiting on someone to say, "If you aren't doing anything wrong, you shouldn't worry who's listening." In 3, 2, 1........

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 08/05/13 - 07:08 am
So- what do you people want

So- what do you people want the government to do? When a terrorist act happens you're going to scream where was the intelligence?? People like you hamper it... Traitors like Snowden just stir this up and thanks to you all the terrorists are laughing. Even with NSA or the folks at Ft. Gordon monitor any communications... there are far too many people to monitor your "sexy" conversation with your other half. Some of the monitoring happens when one end of the conversation throws a red flag - possibly a call to a known region of the world where there are current, past, future threats - those conversations may be worthy of a little listen to help SAVE lives. Times have changed... terrorists hate Americans- would you rather our government do nothing?

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 08/05/13 - 07:36 am
Thanks to Daniel Fordham..

Hey, Daniel Fordham, thanks for "clearing" that up for America, now let me clear this up for you.

The 4th Amendment in the bill of Rights is non negotiable, it spells out very clearly in no uncertain terms.

My rights are MINE and given to me by God so when they are violated it is not an "inconvenience."

Gary Ross
Gary Ross 08/05/13 - 07:52 am
I'm sorry...

A safe world does NOT mean we have to give up our freedoms and rights as citizens. There is more going on behind the scenes in Washington than we can imagine. I feel sorry for those who still believe that the government is here to help our country.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/05/13 - 08:49 am
I support the NSA

in it OCONUS activities, but not it's CONUS activities.

allhans
allhans 08/05/13 - 08:59 am
Since there is no such thing

Since there is no such thing as a "safe world" then the least we can expect is our privacy.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 08/05/13 - 10:38 am
I appreciate Mr. Owens'

I appreciate Mr. Owens' comment. It is refreshing to know that there are actually people in Augusta who realize that there other admendmemts to the constitution after the 2nd one.

corgimom
corgimom 08/05/13 - 10:51 am
"In order for the NSA to

"In order for the NSA to listen in on anyone’s conversation, it must obtain a warrant through a judge, the same as in a criminal investigation."

Hahaha, even I, who don't concern myself with this stuff, laughed at that one!

corgimom
corgimom 08/05/13 - 10:53 am
Hey, everybody knew not to

Hey, everybody knew not to discuss personal stuff on any Ft. Gordon phone call. And that was back in the 80's. The phones had ears.

The phone system was unbelievable. You'd dial a number- say 555-1234- and you'd get, oh, maybe 555-9374. It was a constant source of frustration, "Home of the Signal Corps".

Sure hope it's better now.

corgimom
corgimom 08/05/13 - 10:58 am
Although the government can

Although the government can listen to my phone calls, read my emails, and look at what books I check out of the library. They can film my car driving down the road, they can scan my tag. They can look at my credit cards.

I care not.

Just quit searching me at the airport when I haven't done anything, it's getting really old. All because I went through an X-ray detector and bent over to tie my shoe, and then because my bootie sock came off of my foot and I held it in my hand going through the scanner.

"What's this on your back?"
"My bra strap. I wear a bra, like most women."
"Oh yes, of course."

That's the kind of nonsense that I have to put up with.

corgimom
corgimom 08/05/13 - 11:03 am
This was my latest episode,

This was my latest episode, in May:

My carryon bag went through the scanner. They opened my bag, they always do.

So the TSA agent is standing there, holding my Ziploc bag full of medicine bottles. It is a clear Ziploc bag, all the medicine is in normal prescription bottles, clearly labeled.

"What's in this bag?"
"Medicine."
"Oh, ok."

This kind of stuff makes me FROTH AT THE MOUTH.

dichotomy
dichotomy 08/05/13 - 11:12 am
The fact is, we do not know

The fact is, we do not know if domestic spying is preventing anything or not. They missed the Boston bombers even though another government pointed them out and told us they were up to something. Maybe because they were too busy spying on us to thoroughly investigate.

Sure I want to be protected. I just do not think that being protected requires carte blanche permission to collect and KEEP records of all of my communications, having cameras RECORDING video of me everywhere I go, every dollar of my financial transactions RECORDED and stored, drones circling over my house, and having roving intel systems keeping records of my car license plate and where it goes.

Brad Owens is correct...the Fourth Amendment is NOT negotiable. This same coward mentality of giving up our freedom and privacy for the prospect of possibly stopping a terrorist act is the SAME mentality that has gotten numerous people killed by SWAT teams kicking in doors in the middle of the night with no-knock search warrants on the WRONG house. We have NO protection from these illegal searches because blow hard judges sign off on them like they are passing out M&Ms or something. No probable cause is required and most are justified based on "anonymous" tips and unreliable informants.

All I can say to those who approve of this total monitoring is just be careful to not dial any wrong numbers on your cell phone. If you happen to dial the wrong number you might get more surveillance than you bargained for. One wrong digit and you and your family may be on the "special" watch list. Oh, and if you have worked hard and proudly saved up enough money to pay cash for that new car, when you write that check for $35,000 be sure to remember that it will set off triggers at the IRS and the FBI. If you really want some attention, go down to the bank and withdraw cash to pay for the car. They can't catch Charlie Rangel cheating on his taxes for 17 years but if you pay cash for a car they will scrutinize your every financial transaction, and everything else you do, for years to come.

And just wait until the IRS and DHHS are monitoring, storing, and passing out information, on your medical treatments and prescriptions.

You can bet that I fear my own government more than I fear the terrorists. You betcha.

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 08/05/13 - 11:14 am
I hold statists of every flavor in very low regard.

America will be safer when DiFi and Zaxby are both gone from the Senate Intelligence Committee.

Dixieman
Dixieman 08/05/13 - 11:30 am
Everybody's having a bad day on here...

...except me. I agree 100% with this letter and actually wish the NSA would look at more information. Folks, think about the people out there who want to blow us up and how they communicate with each other, buy or otherwise acquire the ingredients of their bombs/nerve gas/whatever, travel, get to the site, etc. Can't stop them without listening in as NSA currently does. You really think they are going to keep the record of you calling Mrs. Jones from the motel to tell her the coast is clear and if she can get away from her husband you are ready to meet her this afternoon? Not likely.
nocnoc -- So NSA can do what it wants in Alaska and Hawaii and Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands which are not in CONUS? Seriously, lots of plots have people in the US conspiring with people overseas, or at the latter stages of the plot all within the USA. NSA can't do its job with one hand tied behind its back.
Besides, their large presence at Ft. Gordon is good for the CSRA economy.

allhans
allhans 08/05/13 - 01:30 pm
The irony of it. Al Qaeda is

The irony of it. Al Qaeda is on the run.
OOPs! We are on the run.

allhans
allhans 08/05/13 - 01:33 pm
If the ability to search your

If the ability to search your records is there, then the chance that someone will snoop is there. Maybe we should trust ALL the people all the time but how is that working out for us.

internationallyunknown
internationallyunknown 08/05/13 - 02:53 pm

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 08/05/13 - 06:10 pm
corgi...If men have to take

corgi...If men have to take off their belts and try to keep their pants up when they have they lift their arms over their heads, women should have to take their bras off. It's only fair.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 08/05/13 - 07:40 pm
Doggone it palmetto

I agree with you. Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander!!

corgimom
corgimom 08/05/13 - 10:09 pm
"Look at what's happening

"Look at what's happening today. They have closed 19 embassies based on "chatter"....supposedly. If nothing happens they will claim they have prevented a terrorist act. Is that true or is this just a convenient ploy to divert attention from the NSA domestic spying scandal?"

Riverman, you know that's BS, and you also know why they can't disclose the real reason.

Not everything is a scandal, not everything is a conspiracy by the US government.

KSL
KSL 08/05/13 - 11:06 pm
Not everything

But a lot is quite suspicious.

2.1% inflation expected

ATLANTA -- Business executives in the Southeast see inflation a little higher than the Federal Reserve does, according to a survey released Friday.