Return integrity to voting

Election integrity is absolutely necessary in the voting process. However, more and more evidence points to fraud taking place in the last election with the vote being “flipped.” How is this possible? Several people have pointed out how electronic touch-screen voting machines can be, and have been, corrupted.

All citizens – whether Republican, Democrat, Green or Libertarian – should be able to have confidence that voting is safe.

Without confidence in the process, illegitimate election results undermine the ability to trust the elected. What is the answer?

Picture ID in each state should be required if a person is to cast a vote. For the most part, we all need a picture ID to do business, and that includes the homeless. This will help prevent individuals from voting in more than one precinct.

Every time a vote is cast, it should produce a paper record of the vote. Touch-screen voting machines do not produce a paper trail. Therefore, machine tabulation is open to hacking and manipulation by the individuals running the election. Paper ballots leave an audit trail that will help ensure integrity and can be reviewed by the voter for errors. Also, every ballot could have a control number so it will not be miscounted.

Ballots not entered into the counting process during the pre-approved voting period should not be counted.

How can voters who are concerned about voting integrity get involved? Here are some of the ways. Join www.truethevote.org. This is operated by citizens for citizens to equip volunteers for involvement in the election process. They desire to protect the rights of legitimate voters, regardless of their political party affiliation.

Another way to be involved is to volunteer on Election Day with your political party as a poll watcher. You are there to make sure the rules are being followed – i.e., addresses of the voters are checked, and if your state requires picture ID, it is matched to the address.

Also, contact the State Elections Commission and insist on paper ballots. Get rid of the electronic touch-screen voting machines. That is a choice for integrity in the voting process.

If you know registered voters who do not vote because they have given up on the process, encourage them to vote and be involved.

Voting is a privilege! Let’s bring integrity back into the process.

Ruth A. Johnson

North Augusta, S.C.

myfather15
myfather15 08/02/13 - 05:57 am
And you don't believe paper

And you don't believe paper ballots can be manipulated?

southern2
southern2 08/02/13 - 07:57 am
We must have additional

We must have additional scrutiny in the election process.

In addition to Ms. Johnson's suggestions, I would like to see that each state's voter rolls be purged every two years and cleared of all ineligible names, especially deceased, out of state residents, and illegal aliens.

There should also be a total ban on absentee ballots as this probably is one of the most corrupt political tools ever devised. If someone is caught voting more than once, they should receive a mandatory 10 years, hard labor, prison sentence.

Every American election leaves doubt and concern of fraud and deceit. One illegal vote taints the whole process and we, as Americans, deserve better.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/02/13 - 08:57 am
Error

This is a good letter, but I wish to correct an error. Near the end of the letter, Ms. Johnson says the picture I.D. must match the address (i.e., the address in the voting registration database. This is incorrect.

The photo on the I.D. must match the face of the person standing in front of the poll worker. It is the name on the I.D. that must match the name in the registration database. It is desirable that the address match, but not necessary.

People move. People change addresses. Let's say I move across town, into a different voting precinct. I have two options: I can provide my new address to the elections office and vote at the precinct where I now live; or I can not provide my new address to the elections office and go back and vote in my old precinct.

dahreese
dahreese 08/02/13 - 09:03 am
The letter writer has good

The letter writer has good intentions, and we all are concerned about voter fraud.

Our politicians and our 'defense agencies' have succeeded in getting, and keeping, Americans so scared that any minute a terrorist is going to get them, and somehow a 'national I.D. card' is going to prevent that.

It isn't.

The purpose of the 'national I.D. card" is to keep an eye on YOU!

If you are presently old enough to have a driver's license that is your National I.D. card, and can be checked in any state where you are stopped by police to be sure that you are you.

I have forgotten at what young age, age one(?), you are now required to have a social security number.

Additionally, to address the writer's concern, it is not impossible to carry more than one I.D. card and thus to vote more than once (although I doubt that's done very much).

The problem with voting is that, as someone said above, paper ballots can be manipulated as can computer voting machines, and for that there ought to be heavy penalities - but there are not.

Usually just a little slap on the wrist.

corgimom
corgimom 08/02/13 - 09:08 am
Back in the old days, Augusta

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 08/02/13 - 09:38 am
As long as

blacks live in America, there will never be integrity in voting. A racist point of view? Maybe. A fact? Certainly.

soapy_725
soapy_725 08/02/13 - 09:46 am
Photo ID's are no issue for government or charitable freebies.

Photo ID's are no issue for government or charitable freebies.

soapy_725
soapy_725 08/02/13 - 09:47 am
They can produce a photo ID for a JB Turkey or SA toys.????

They can produce a photo ID for a JB Turkey or SA toys.????

soapy_725
soapy_725 08/02/13 - 09:48 am
They can find transportation to get a JB Turkey or SA toys???

They can find transportation to get a JB Turkey or SA toys???

soapy_725
soapy_725 08/02/13 - 09:48 am
They can produce a portfolio of SS cards, Medicade cards, etc.

They can produce a portfolio of SS cards, Medicade cards, etc.

soapy_725
soapy_725 08/02/13 - 09:49 am
Permanent legal addresses are difficult when you "stays here"

Permanent legal addresses are difficult when you "stays here"

chascushman
chascushman 08/02/13 - 11:18 am
"Back in the old days,

"Back in the old days, Augusta was well-known for voter fraud, using paper ballots."
corgimom, you are correct the democrats have always found a way to cheat.

validPoint
validPoint 08/02/13 - 01:01 pm
Picture ID Excellent Idea

Picture ID is an excellent suggestion. Even on my Debit and Credit cards in the space that says "signature", instead of the written signature, I chose to write: "see picture ID", it works everytime because I am required to identify myself. Identification should reach beyond a signature, especially in this perverse and crooked world....People do not "cheat" because of political party affiliation. They "cheat because of the context of thier hearts. History has proven that.

Absentee Ballots are not bad as long as the voter can legally prove residency. Most of the voting periods i am not at my place of residency anyway. However, my home of residence is verifiable, and is proven by the required records.

I cannot remember a time when there was so much concern about voter fraud....its an excellent idea, but I cannot help but wonder why the surge...

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/02/13 - 01:39 pm
I agree

Everybody has a Picture ID in this country who is a citizen.
Or else they don't have a bank acct. or an EBT card.

If you have a utility bill you used a ID to start the service.
If you have Social Security Benefits you used a ID.

I still object to Electronic voting without a verifiable paper trail is too open to abuse. Which has been proven repeatedly.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/02/13 - 01:41 pm
Absentee

There are those who say that requiring a photo I.D. is discriminatory to "minorities" (whatever that means) and to poor people. Hogwash. Every state that has instituted photo I.D. requirements has created a mechanism for any voter (indeed, any citizen, registered to vote or not) to get a photo I.D. without cost. Sure, you have to travel to the I.D.-making location; but that's no difference than going to the Social Security office to sign up for benefits, or to the welfare office to sign up for EBT.

As for those who are bedridden, they can use the tried and true absentee ballot. No photo I.D. is required for an absentee ballot requested by mail.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 08/02/13 - 01:45 pm
"Picture ID is an excellent

"Picture ID is an excellent suggestion. Even on my Debit and Credit cards in the space that says "signature", instead of the written signature, I chose to write: "see picture ID", it works everytime because I am required to identify myself. "

Really? I did the same thing and it almost NEVER works, because the cashier rarely if ever looks at the back of the card. (and many don't even have to touch the card.)

itsanotherday1
41954
itsanotherday1 08/02/13 - 01:50 pm
If the Dems had their way you

If the Dems had their way you could vote by phone; early and often....

dahreese
dahreese 08/02/13 - 03:00 pm
Oh, my. The non-free speech

Oh, my.

The non-free speech fairy has been at it again.

corgimom
corgimom 08/02/13 - 03:59 pm
If you write "see picture ID"

If you write "see picture ID" on your credit card, the vendor has the right to refuse it.

And anybody that expects a minimum-wage clerk to verify and vet a signature and ID is another one who is not living in reality.

And if somebody wants to use it online, "see picture ID" is totally worthless, and that's where most of the credit card fraud is.

The only vendor I know that checks is Kohl's.

dahreese
dahreese 08/02/13 - 05:14 pm
"Writing on your credit card

"Writing on your credit card "see picture ID" does nothing, NOTHING, to protect anybody from fraud."

That's not what the state patrol agency told me.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/02/13 - 06:31 pm
In my case we laugh a lot

My cards have ID ME printed on them for a signature.
I have had waiters hand me back my card as say
"Thank you Mr. Me."

Or the waiter that refused to accept the card because he needed a signature to compare, so I wrote it below ID ME and he was happy after looking at my Driver Lic. I guess he was a Handwriting Expert and waiting was his part-time job.

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 08/02/13 - 06:54 pm
Technically, the card is not

Technically, the card is not valid if it is not signed - Corgimom is correct in that the merchant can decline to accept it. I have yet to have one that has, but it can happen.

With cloned cards and other scams out there, there's not a 100% way to avoid fraud short of not using cards at all. Fake ID's to go with those boosted cards are easy to do (just see those former UGA guys if you need a fake ID!)

With regards to the topic on voting, I have always been for requiring IDs. I had to show an ID to register to vote, so I'd expect to show it each time I cast a vote. I've never understood the controversy around requiring IDs to vote...

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 08/02/13 - 06:58 pm
Another note on IDs - It

Another note on IDs -

It absolutely floors me when I'm in a bank and some person is bashing a teller for asking them for their ID - really? You're angry because the teller wants to make sure they're giving the money to the right person??

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/02/13 - 08:32 pm
Another Error

RHSC posted:

Well, bravo for the person who registered you. However, by federal law, there is no requirement to provide I.D. at the time of registration. If you do not provide it at registration, by federal law, you must provide it the first time you vote after that registration. At that time, no picture I.D. is required. Only on subsequent votings does the state law kick in requiring picture I.D. (in those few states which require picture I.D.).

Complicated, isn't it.

Darby
Darby 08/03/13 - 12:23 am
Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 08/03/13 - 08:49 am
I don't know about what the

I don't know about what the law stipulates, but I can remember years ago( like 20 years ago) when I was "deputized" to register voters I was told to verify ID - after all, you have to be 18 to vote - how else would you verify that someone was of legal age to vote than to get proper ID? Yes - it seems to be complicated and shouldn't be.

deestafford
deestafford 08/03/13 - 09:00 am
I think folks are missing the reason for picture ID critics

It gives power to the "leaders" who manipulate the black community. Their constituents are looked upon by them as too stupid to understand that they are being manipulated.

It's how the leaders show how THEY are the ones protecting them from "The Man" and "The System" which are trying to keep them down.

These people are your community organizers (agitators). That is what obama was before he became a senator. His purpose was to stir up the blacks against the establishment.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/03/13 - 09:02 am
Registration

It is proper and good to request I.D. at registration drives out in the community, and a new registrant may voluntarily produce it. But the federal law is that if they don't produce I.D. they must be registered based on their statement or affidavit that the birthdate they provide is correct and that the name they provide is correct and the address they provide is correct.

Only when they show up to vote can the state law kick in where they have to prove it.

validPoint
validPoint 08/03/13 - 11:17 am
Difference in Experiences

"See Picture ID" always works for me. The merchants I frequent always check for that. Now, my picture ID might contain information that the average picture ID does not contain. If you do not have a military ID, I can understand why it doesn't work for you. Only sharing my experiences. Gee, the atmosphere is beginning to be awfully "icy" Humble Angel. Pardon me for being in the wrong place.

Beam me OUT, scotty.

validPoint
validPoint 08/03/13 - 04:14 pm
OOPs, Forgot.

It would be a wise thing for every American to obtain a copy of personal birth certificates. The time is coming when you will be required to prove citizenship. That time is closer than many may think...has nothing to do with race....only citizenship. A hint to the wise should be sufficient.

Paine plans furloughs, salary cuts, layoffs

Paine College President George C. Bradley on Friday announced the college will implement furlough days, salary reductions and layoffs to save $2.4 million over the next fiscal year.