Barrow is devoted servant

How red-faced The Augusta Chronicle must be following their attack on U.S. Rep. John Barrow for his attempts to prevent the 11-day furlough of 3,000 civilian workers at Fort Gordon. The Chronicle, no doubt getting ready to support any Republican that will face Barrow in 2014, chastised him by words and cartoon, July 13 and 14, that his bills were simply to pander and garner votes for himself.

What in the world were they thinking of? Isn’t it the role of a congressman to protect his constituents? What would The Chronicle have said if he turned his back and let the 3,000 workers lose 5 percent of their wages?

To further show that Barrow means business is that his latest bill is co-sponsored by a bipartisan group of House members, and was passed by the House 315-109. While The Chronicle railed that Barrow was selfish to try to increase our national debt, Barrow pointed out that his legislation will preserve spending cuts mandated by sequestration by finding other aspects of the defense budget to cut instead of the wages of civilian employees.

The 12th District is indeed fortunate to have Rep. Barrow as our representative to Congress. Not all will agree with every vote he makes, but everyone, Republican or Democrat, who is in touch with him and his staff, realizes what a devoted public servant he is.

Lowell Greenbaum

Augusta

(The writer is chairman of the Richmond County Democratic Party.)

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 08/02/13 - 05:05 am
I'm guessing Ft. Gordon is also the reason why

Barrow voted against the Amash amendment last week. For better or for worse, the fact of the CSRA's heavy dependence upon federal spending means that the area representatives have to try to keep it coming.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 08/02/13 - 08:30 am
Maybe he will save someone from a lynching

by allowing the federal government to listen to all of our calls and read all of our emails. Give me a break. Barrow is a master on the democratic slave plantation keeping his workers in check just like every other democrat...

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 08/02/13 - 08:35 am
Just look

at the source of this letter.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 08/02/13 - 10:15 am
What would The Chronicle have said???

Rhetorical question! We know what the AC would have said, that John Barrow cannot even be depended on to fight for jobs in his own district!
Whatever Barrow does, Mikey and his editorial underlings will criticize it, and him....

avidreader
avidreader 08/02/13 - 10:28 am
What about Education!

I attended a Barrow "mixer" last November. During a Q&A session, I asked about his commitment to public education. I was impressed with his remarks about protecting educators and trimming other facets of pork-laden government in order to boost the morale of classroom teachers. Of course, Mr. Barrow has no control over the policies of our state, but it was still a nice gesture.

Trimming other facets of DOD fat to restore furlough days for civilian employees is also a noble gesture; however, what about the educators? Wouldn't the same principle of trimming work here? Teachers (and all BOE staff) have been dealing with furlough days for five years, and believe me, this is money needed to keep up with inflation, not purchase new SUVs and lake houses. The grocery stores alone are sucking up 25% more of a household income than in 2008. And I won't even attempt to jump on the health insurance soap box.

Mr. Greenbaum, I'm sure you are a good civic-minded man, but your democratic network is very weak in Georgia. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't teachers and BOE staffers in general one of the strongest voting blocks in the state. Maybe you could enhance your power base if you paid closer attention to our plight. I have been willing to sacrifice my salary for the good of the whole, but I'm a bit rankled at this point-in-time.

I hate to say this, but I do not sympathize with the furloughed federal workers. And if anyone wants to accuse me of whining, so be it.

dichotomy
dichotomy 08/02/13 - 11:00 am
Yeh, he's devoted alright.

Yeh, he's devoted alright. Devoted to self preservation. I notice he's voting a lot more conservatively since redistricting.

I'm not saying that he doesn't care about the people. He puts a lot of effort into helping veterans. But on the really important votes, he don't make a move until he gets his instructions from Nancy Pelosi. That is an "aw crap" that wipes out any "atta boys".

Sweet son
Sweet son 08/02/13 - 11:23 am
Lowelllllllllllllllllllllllll Greeeeeeeeenbaummmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Is so left wing liberal that when I saw who the author was I wasn't surprised. He really has no business in local politics since he isn't local! He is a transplant via MCG!

He needs to be back home in liberal land wherever he came from.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 08/02/13 - 01:18 pm
You can count on Barrow to do

You can count on Barrow to do and say what is best for him depending on who he happens to be talking to at the time, however in the end he is a loyal democrat if his vote is needed by leadership.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 08/02/13 - 04:17 pm
Definition of

a politician: All mouth and no intention of doing what they say. Whatever is most propitious at the time. obama weiner-holder are prime examples.

Darby
Darby 08/03/13 - 10:00 am
Good old Lowell... He never lets up on the

propaganda pablum. As a loyal Democrat minion, (Perhaps the most loyal on the face of the planet.) he deserves at the very least to be honored with the order of Lenin.

I wonder if he ghost writes for Grateful Mother.

Daniel Field removes trees, lights structures in airspace

Daniel Field, managed by operations company Augusta Aviation, has spent more than $30,000 conducting land surveys, removing 30 trees and installing red blinking lights on top of the Newman Tennis ...