Obama knows we're racist

Our country was surprised when President Obama recently spoke about racism and, obviously, this is the way he felt all his life, and it is also the way I feel.

We have lynched, cracked heads, dragged blacks out of diners and shoved them into jail. For decades we and the world saw horrendous pictures, barbarism and J. Edgar Hoover’s FBI looking the other way. President Kennedy was aware, but there was nothing he could do without losing the Democratic South. He had to die to give us Lyndon Johnson, who immediately implemented civil and voting rights laws with the unanimous vote from both houses. He was well aware that the South was lost, but he ended his speech about the laws with a hopeful phrase: “We shall overcome.”

President Obama knows we are racists. The country knows it, and the world knows it. We are hypocrites. Recently Paula Deen lost most of her sponsors for having used the N-word in the past – a word that is constantly on our racist minds. We are so very careful of our political correctness, but blacks – sorry, “African-Americans” – are and will remain second-class citizens.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 07/31/13 - 05:57 pm
owensjef3

"Who is mistreated? Do you have names? Show us this mistreatment if it exists. Owensjef...you really should stop making up your "facts.""

Are you REALLY making this stuff up, or do you see the things as they really happened ??

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 07/31/13 - 06:05 pm
HA @ 3:38

"I mean NOW. Stop living in the past. You know the Jews were slaves too...but you don't see them blaming the Pharaoh for everything that goes wrong in their lives."

DON'T you think this arguement is even weak, even for you ??! I mean, you are talking about over 2000 years ago !

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 07/31/13 - 06:12 pm
owensjef3

"""Thumbs down for saying I never had Gov. Help other than the military benefits. Oh Boy. Who did that?"""

DON'T YOU KNOW that you can not be a liberal without get thumbs down ??

chascushman
chascushman 07/31/13 - 06:18 pm
"DON'T YOU KNOW that you can

"DON'T YOU KNOW that you can not be a liberal without get thumbs down ??"

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 07/31/13 - 06:21 pm
chascushman @ 7:18

"bledsoe, when people think you r wrong they give u a thumbs down. But I sure u believe it is racist."

I believe it is IGNORANCE about The 1st Amendment !!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 07/31/13 - 06:40 pm
OK

Guess everybody is watching Jepordy !! Guess I am done too. Maybe tomorrow.

mrenee2003
mrenee2003 07/31/13 - 06:46 pm
Huh?

Corgimom, are you saying White people were lynched prior to reconstruction by Black people because they were White? It was my u/s most Whites were lynched by other Whites - vigilante justice; whereas Blacks in the South were lynched for being Black. Huge difference.

Intelligence is a combination of nature and nurture with a preponderance of nature, which is in every intro to psychology textbook on the market so the comment about liberal academia was unfounded.

I just read an article that a few Big Brother contestants made some really horrible racists comments. Moreover, Black students at the University of Texas at Austin are being targeted with bleach balloons being dropped from above, schools in MS have separate proms because some White students don't want to mix their prom, last year in in Savannah, Georgia a White man was jumped by a group of Black men and beat up because his girlfriend was Black. Racism is alive and well in the U.S. and anyone can be a target. It's disingenuous to pretend it does not exist. Denying racism is a form of racism.

In terms of Affirmative Action it's always amazing to me how worked up people get that the goal of an organization is to increase diversity. First, women, more than any other group have benefited from Affirmative Action, not Blacks. Second, most schools provide students with points for various activities that have absolutely nothing to do with academics (e.g., legacy points for having parents and grandparents that are alumni). Considering most schools would not accepts Blacks or women (even after it became illegal to do so), means students of color don't benefit from those legacy points that White students do. Affirmative Action evens the playing field. Third, the Supreme Court has explicitly stated that it is against the law to hire an unqualified person solely for the purpose of diversifying. A lot of misconceptions about Affirmative Action. If you want to get worked up over unfair practices, get worked up over legacy points or scholarships to illiterate athletes.

Darby
Darby 07/31/13 - 07:41 pm
"DON'T you think this arguement (sic) is even

weak, even for you ??! I mean, you are talking about over 2000 years ago !"

Two thousand years, two hundred years. No one is alive today who lived then, in either case.

At any rate, the DNC will still be holding black people back and whining about America's "racist" past 2000 years from now IF the DNC still exists and IF that tactic still gets them votes.

Darby
Darby 07/31/13 - 07:45 pm
Hey, Jeff....

Massa Sean don't like it when we call folks names.

chascushman
chascushman 07/31/13 - 08:15 pm
"Racism is alive and well in

"Racism is alive and well in the U.S. and anyone can be a target. It's disingenuous to pretend it does not exist. Denying racism is a form of racism."
mrnee, You are correct. There is racism among all colors. One of the main problems is democrats, liberals and black leaders are spreading racist poison among blacks for power and political reasons.

chascushman
chascushman 07/31/13 - 07:51 pm
"I believe it is IGNORANCE

"I believe it is IGNORANCE about The 1st Amendment.
Bledsoe, how is it' IGNORANCE about The 1st Amendment' to tell someone they are full of crap.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/31/13 - 07:53 pm
Hey,

Takes one to know one......gave you an upper for it.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/31/13 - 07:56 pm
Darby

Let it stay, shows some real color there.....and culture.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/31/13 - 08:01 pm
The Other Day

I was a "Smart Guy" --- Today I'm and Idiot.

I wonder what I will be tomorrow?

mrenee2003
mrenee2003 07/31/13 - 08:10 pm
chascushman

It may well be that the DNC is using that platform to garner Black votes; very similar to the Republican Party's "Southern Strategy," which was to stir up racist hate among Southern Whites to vote Republican. It's an old tactic, one the Republicans use often, most recently with immigration and gay marriage. It's a good distraction from the real issues facing the country. Unfortunately, all that hate backfired on the past two elections. Maybe the Republican party will try something new for 2016.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/31/13 - 09:14 pm
Cobalt maybe you'll be

Cobalt maybe you'll be classified as "impaired"-you can join me. Then will work on your "Geek-ness". It took me awhile to get people here to respond to me-unfortunately that backfired as now I seem to be alienating myself from everyone. Dagnabit. But disdain, contempt, or hate are better than just being ignored. LOL.

Darby
Darby 07/31/13 - 10:36 pm
CobaltGeorge - I did not flag the comment. I prefer

to let it stay as a "monument" to jeff's character.

Darby
Darby 07/31/13 - 10:56 pm
"It may well be that the DNC is using that

platform to garner Black votes..."

Consolidating political power by denying a decent education and then convincing large numbers of black Americans that they are inferior without government to support them is not a platform.

It's a mean spirited, calculated plan to deny the future to a very large group of people who could be working, learning and producing. Securing their own future.

A significant number of people who, but for the DNC would be contributing at least as much as any other segment of the population. It's time that the Democrat leadership stopped distracting them with phony race baiting tactics and got out of their way. Allowing them to achieve their full potential.

There never was an actual Republican "Southern Strategy" as such. What you call a strategy was simply the result of liberals concentrating in the larger, northern cities leaving the more rural south populated by conservatives who did and still do trust the Constitution and the American people more than they trust government.

A large number of Americans believe that freedom, free enterprise and small government is our future.

Another large number believe that large and larger government will solve all our problems.

At this point, the latter group is winning.

chascushman
chascushman 08/01/13 - 07:49 am
mrenee, I'm no repub but the

mrenee, I'm no repub but the only "Southern Strategy" to "stir up racist hate" was by the southern DEMOCRATS. I believe you might remember ole George Wallace and Lester Maddox. So I guess you do not mine all the "racist hate" that is being stirred up by liberals, democrats and black leaders even in black churches which is doing GREAT HARM to the black community.

mrenee2003
mrenee2003 08/01/13 - 07:31 am
Wrong, Darby

There was, indeed, a Southern Strategy. You will find a few fringe, right-wing blogs and the no longer relevant Ann Coulter who talk about it as a myth but it's a fact the Republicans inflamed the racists in the South to vote Republican. And as I already stated, they use the same strategy with gays and immigrants. Members of the Republican party were doing all this hang-wringing, especially young Republicans, over all the hate in the last two elections and there have been calls in the party to use a more moderate tone. The party will never win a presidential election if they keep it up. And, with the recent legislation in TX concerning abortion, Texas may well turn blue as the legislature has infuriated a large percentage of women.

I don't disagree that Sharpton embarrasses himself but Sharpton isn't the problem. It's the whole "teach a man to fish" thing that's the problem. It only works if you actually teach people how to fish. Access to comprehensive sex education, access to birth control, access to health care, affordable day care, and a minimum wage that would provide someone that works a 40-50 hour week the ability to pay rent, buy food, health insurance, car insurance, and utilities would go a long way. But the same people shaking the heads at the plight of the poor, who are often minorities, vote against all of those things. You can't have it both ways. Many poor families try to make it work by communing together in a nice home in a nice neighborhood so their kids can have a better life but then those communities set up covenants to prevent multiple families from living in a home. In terms of your comment, "A large number of Americans believe that freedom, free enterprise and small government is our future" is a joke. The three most sacrosanct areas in a person's life is who he/she can marry, reproductive rights, and end-of-care rights, and it is the Republican party that consistently uses government regulation to block those rights. When the Republican party gets serious about what it really means to be free, and what it really means to be limited, maybe they'll get more votes. Because when you say limited, what you really mean is "stay out of my way so I can make a buck, ethical or not."

mrenee2003
mrenee2003 08/01/13 - 07:38 am
In 2005

The head of the Republican National Committee, Ken Mehlman, issued a sweeping apology to the NAACP for a decades-old practice of writing off the Black vote and using racial polarization to win elections.

''Some Republicans gave up on winning the African-American vote, looking the other way or trying to benefit politically from racial polarization," he added. ''I am here as Republican chairman to tell you we were wrong."

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 08/01/13 - 08:02 am
In 2009, President Obama went

In 2009, President Obama went around the world apologizing to other countries for America being America. Does he speak for all of us? Absolutely not!

Darby
Darby 08/01/13 - 11:15 am
"There was, indeed, a Southern Strategy."

Oh, mrenee2003, how could I have missed the point like that? I see now, there WAS a "Southern Strategy" because YOU say there was.

How utterly stupid of me.

You keep telling yourself that. Don't know you, (don't really care to) but as one who lived and breathed politics for many years. As one who has been a delegate to Republican conventions and a Republican County chairman, I KNOW that there was NO such thing. It's purely a DNC concoction, along the same lines as "The Party of No", "War on Women", "Culture of Corruption" That one really blew up in their own faces, didn't it? And so many more. Democrats live for the buzz words and phrases.

(I should add that I was a "Yellow Dog Democrat" for decades until I realized what a dishonest sham that party really is.)

As for Ken Mehlman, he's not exactly an icon in the Republican Party. It's obvious that you like to cruise liberal websites. There was never a conscious effort to "write off" black voters.

There IS the tendency not to go after the black vote. There is good reason for that. Campaign money is short and the Democrats have done an amazing job of convincing their base, including blacks, that Republicans are haters. (Just look at the way they rolled out all their big guns in the Zimmerman case.)

All the money in the world won't change their propaganda. Only time and experience can do that. At some point, the DNC will not be able to carry the weight of it's deceptive policies. That plus the fact that government will run out of taxpayer's money.

In the meantime, conservatives will continue the fight, and live honorably according to their principles. There is absolutely no doubt that the tide will shift as it has in the past.

In the meantime, Democrats will continue to lie to and hold black Americans back for as long as that strategy works for them.

mrenee2003
mrenee2003 08/01/13 - 11:48 am
OK

Signing off.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 08/01/13 - 11:50 am
Good idea....since you can't

Good idea....since you can't refute with facts.

chascushman
chascushman 08/01/13 - 01:35 pm
''Some Republicans gave up on

mrenee, as I said I am not a repub but giving up on black vote, which were not going to get, and 'racial polarization is not the same as the "racist hate" that is being spread by liberals, democrats and black leaders even in black churches which is doing GREAT HARM to the black community and harm to the white as well.

myfather15
myfather15 08/01/13 - 07:47 pm
The problem is the hard

The problem is the hard leftists believe people act as they do because they are poor, when the reality is; they are usually poor because of their attitude and how they behave. You can't throw money at people, to fix them!! Most of the people living in poor neighbors; if you gave each family 5 million dollars, they would be broke in less than a year. Some might make it a couple years, but they would go broke as well. They would go crazy buying luxury items, then wouldn't be able to afford the taxes on those items. It's been proven time and time again.

As a matter of fact, I know a young man right now, who is about 28 years old. His grandparents owned a business for many years and made a fortune. They left him 300 acres of land a home and a LARGE amount of money. He was suppose to get the inheritance when he graduated college or turned 25. He didn't go to college, then got his inheritance at 25. He absolutely WASTED every single bit of it, with his dirt bag friends. Within two years, he didn't have a pot to pee in and he and his friends started stealing golf carts and motorcycles to chop up and sell. He is now sitting in prison and when he gets out, he will have NOTHING!!!

Criminals are NOT committing crimes because they're poor. Most of the time their stealing, is actually NOT to feed their family, but to feed an addiction!! The real truth is, you CAN, ABSOLUTELY work your way out of poverty, but it takes just that, WORK!!

The left absolutely LOVES to make excuses for everything and everyone, but that fact is; it's usually their own fault!!

Yes, the balances in this Country AND the world are out of whack!! When Police officers, firefighters, EMS personel, etc. are getting paid less than 40k a year, but sports athletes are getting paid 10's of millions to play a game, something is wrong. When a person is making minimum wage and one trip to the grocery store, takes their entire paycheck, something is wrong!! There are many more examples, I agree. But people simply do NOT commit crimes and behave badly because they are poor.

Bruce Garner
Bruce Garner 08/02/13 - 10:12 am
Regarding being black and sexual orientation

From one who knowsbetter than I:
From Gil Caldwell; an article about the United Methodist Church & Kermit the frog; share it if it makes sense, even it is does not...

What do Kermit the frog and the United Methodist Church have in common?

I was 20 years old in 1954 when on May 17th of that year, the U.S. Supreme Court issued its ruling declaring racially segregated public schools invalid.
That year I was finishing my junior year in college and beginning to look forward to responding to my call to ministry by going to Seminary in 1955.
(My first application for admission to Seminary was sent to Duke Divinity School in my home state of North Carolina, and as I have written before, I was refused admission because of my race).

At the time of the May 17, 1954 ruling, I had already become the news-focused person that I still am today as I move toward my 80th birthday in October.
Remember theologian Karl Barth said, "The Christian lives his/her life with the Bible in one hand and the newspaper in the other." The news following the public school decision informed us that many Churches in the south began the process of establishing racially segregated schools in order to avoid racial integration. I remember wondering, how long could the Methodist Church retain and maintain its racially segregated Central Jurisdiction when the Supreme Court had declared racially segregated schools unconstitutional? (The answer;
14 years until our merger in 1968).

I read and heard in 1954, responses from some Christians who justified resistance to the racial desegregation decision by saying and writing things like this; "The Church is called not to follow the agenda of the world, but rather the agenda of Christ"..."Christians are called to be counter cultural or over against culture, instead of adjusting to culture."..."The Bible is against the mixing of the races. Race-mixing will in time produce race-mixed children, and they will not be able to adjust to society." (Does this explain some of the resistance to President Obama? In his case it is not his inability to adjust to society, it is the inability of some in the society to accept a bi-racial president who identifies as African American).

I am beginning to read/hear responses to the Supreme Court same sex marriage decision re; church and culture that are not unlike those made about integrated schools in 1954. Why is that some persons recycle arguments that in time were proven to be incorrect, imperfect and demeaning, vis-a-vis women and blacks, but now use them to demean LGBTQ persons and same sex couples?

Bishop Warner Brown of the California-Nevada United Methodist Conference is quoted as saying this; "I must encourage pastors to reach out to their ecumenical partners so that pastors and churches that are permitted under their polity to offer marriage to same sex couples, be invited to assist in providing pastoral care."

Bishop Brown's statement as an expression of sensitivity and concern for ministry to same sex couples is important. But, at the same time it highlights the contradictory, paradoxical corner into which we United Methodists have painted ourselves. Our anti-gay language language and legislation in the Book of Discipline about same sex unions and marriages makes us "partners" with Southern Baptists, Catholics, and Mormons with whom we share a similar response to same sex unions/marriages.
But, in an effort to provide the ministry of marriage and unions to same sex couples, we must "partner" with UCC's, Episcopalians, Presbyterians and Lutherans.

Rev. Jim Lawson, our United Methodist colleague and brother who is a Civil Rights Movement icon, performed the marriage of James Earl Ray, who was the convicted and sentenced killer of Martin Luther King. That marriage took place in jail.

I suggest no equivalence between the jailed James Earl Ray and same sex couples who want United Methodist clergy to perform their marriages or unions. But, if I as a grandfather of an 8 year old little girl, in one of my many conversations with her about the church and the world, wanted to explain why a United Methodist preacher could perform the marriage of James Earl Ray in jail, but not a same sex couple, what would I say?

Kermit the frog (My grand daughter has him sitting in a chair at their dining room
table) once said; "It's not easy being green." Today, more than ever before, some of us are saying; "It's not easy being a United Methodist".

Gil Caldwell