Obama knows we're racist

Our country was surprised when President Obama recently spoke about racism and, obviously, this is the way he felt all his life, and it is also the way I feel.

We have lynched, cracked heads, dragged blacks out of diners and shoved them into jail. For decades we and the world saw horrendous pictures, barbarism and J. Edgar Hoover’s FBI looking the other way. President Kennedy was aware, but there was nothing he could do without losing the Democratic South. He had to die to give us Lyndon Johnson, who immediately implemented civil and voting rights laws with the unanimous vote from both houses. He was well aware that the South was lost, but he ended his speech about the laws with a hopeful phrase: “We shall overcome.”

President Obama knows we are racists. The country knows it, and the world knows it. We are hypocrites. Recently Paula Deen lost most of her sponsors for having used the N-word in the past – a word that is constantly on our racist minds. We are so very careful of our political correctness, but blacks – sorry, “African-Americans” – are and will remain second-class citizens.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 07/31/13 - 01:36 am
my 2 cents

Prejudice is not based on facts but on preconceived notions rooted in ignorance.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 07/31/13 - 01:59 am
Prejudice

So true, Shrimp.
To harbor a prejudice is to prejudge.

carcraft
carcraft 07/31/13 - 05:44 am
TWO of the BEST surgeons I

TWO of the BEST surgeons I know are Black. One took over a department that was failing and converted it into a world class operation. The other is a neurosurgeon, Ben Carson, who is recognized around the World. Oh the local surgeon, well he is liberal, I still respect his character and his abilities. So because I refuse to fawn over someone because of their race and not their abilities I am a racist? The letter writer is full of it. The other thing he fails to point out is that a greater percent of Republicans voted for the civil rights act than Democrats!

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 07/31/13 - 05:55 am
Casrcraft

You say one surgeon took over a failing department and turned it into a world class OPERATION.
Was the pun intended. I found that really good!

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/31/13 - 06:21 am
I notice the writer's

I notice the writer's examples of racism are from many many years ago. It is important for people like him to dwell on the past and not look at what we have become, in order to keep the race hustling alive.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/31/13 - 07:03 am
Interesting he had to drag up

Interesting he had to drag up the 60's to demonstrate racism. We shall overcome-well yes they did and we have a president to prove it. Funny he admits he is racist and just "assumes" everyone else with no evidence and ignoring the fact there are no races. I think now the world know Italy and much of Europe is racist. How can America that welcomes and is made up of every ethnicity that enjoys our freedoms be racist-well I agree Hispanics and Asians still have some racism. Oh sorry Humble I hadn't read your post-I guess great minds think alike. hee,hee.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/31/13 - 07:08 am
Car I've read the racist Dems

Car I've read the racist Dems realized they couldn't outwardly suppress blacks anymore so people like Byrd and Johnson took a new strategy to befriend them and control them-all the while suppressing them. Brilliant strategy if true and it appeared to work because as you say they've rewritten history and demonize Rep while the Dem was the racist party. I don't know if that is true because it sounds like a conspiracy theory-and I usually don't buy that.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 07/31/13 - 07:22 am
Deen says the n word and is vilified

any well know rapper says it and it's a gold record....double standard? That would be like me demanding Cracker Barrel change their name because it's racist to white people. Give me a break. Blacks have been given a level playing field for 40 years and still complain. They get college admissions over better applicants, jobs over better qualified employees. The only thing that has changed is the roles. Blacks have shown that they can be just as racist as the old redneck southerners they like to vilify for deeds done over 40 years ago. You may not like my post but it is clearly the truth....one more thing...why is it if a white person kills a black person it's a hate crime, but when a black person kills a white person (which btw happens at a greater rate)it's because he was poor or didn't have discipline or grew up in a bad neighborhood. Like that lessens the crime?

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/31/13 - 07:46 am
Gosh drink a cup of coffee

Gosh drink a cup of coffee Biz. I finally realize why link Martin-Zimmerman to voter suppression except for a goal of social justice. But I like this letter because it gives us a psychological profile and a hint at the mentality of a bona fide self confessed racist. Pretty bold. Hey I like the thumbs down-it means I'm correct and hit a nerve.

deestafford
deestafford 07/31/13 - 08:00 am
Sadly, the letter writer is a classic example

of what is wrong with the black community today. He is blaming things in the past-- some of which happened and some of which didn't, but they are still real in his mind because of his perception--for his situation today. He does not take the Ben Carsons, Thomas Sowells, Walter Williams, Shelby Steeles, Clarance Thomases, and the like as role models. He has to take those on the far left who want to keep feeding the pablum of racism to him in order to keep him ignorant land dependent.

Yesterday morning I was once again listening to black talk radio on AM1550 and it is unbelievable what is spewed there. I strongly encourage y'all to tune in sometime between 9 am and noon. Yesterday, they had Dick Gregory who is as far left, hate America, as one can be. . The lies and misinformation he was putting out with the host agreeing and encouraging was shocking. One example was that Abraham Lincoln's daddy was black so that is why he was so much against slavery. The evidence? He had wiry, kinky hair. This is the junk going into the heads of blacks and they believe. Please check it out one morning.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/31/13 - 08:09 am
Only in America can you have

Only in America can you have Black Historic Colleges (what no White, Asian, Hispanic Historic Colleges) and then accuse America of racism. Then the Congressional Black Caucus-which seems racist to even exist. I'd love to hear Spock of Star Trek take on all this.

Gary Ross
Gary Ross 07/31/13 - 08:10 am
Speak for yourself

Just because Obama is a racist doesn't mean everyone is, or should be. The only people keeping this racial inequality crap alive are the blacks themselves. There is no truth to it because everyone has the same opportunities. It what you do with them that makes the difference, or didn't your mamma tell you that? That's fine if you want to dwell on this racial crap, just keep it to yourself because I'm tired of hearing it. The only inequality I see is that blacks demand and expect "special" treatment, and that's not going to happen.

The fact is, no race of people in the history of mankind has EVER had it so good as blacks in America today, and yet that's not good enough? Try getting off drugs, alcohol, and welfare and maybe your perspective on life might improve. Reality is what we make it, so please stop trying to convince me that I'm a racist like you and your president.

southern2
southern2 07/31/13 - 08:14 am
Is this letter written as a

Is this letter written as a spoof or are we to assume the writer really thinks they are on to something.
First, "President Obama knows we are racists". Is this why he was only elected as US president twice? Imagine what he might have been able to achieve if he had lived in a non-racist environment? King of the universe?
Second, “African-Americans” – are and will remain second-class citizens". Excuse me, but you have to go no further than your nearest red-light, grocery store, or mall to see that this is total nonsense.
I have to wonder how anyone living in the US today could be as foolish as this writer has portrayed his/her self.

chascushman
chascushman 07/31/13 - 08:23 am
" President Obama knows we

" President Obama knows we are racists. The country knows it, and the world knows it. We are hypocrites."
Godoy, I am glad you came clean but you can only speak for yourself. I hear Cuba is very nice this time of year. Ole Godoy is a BIG fan of Castro.

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 07/31/13 - 08:30 am
All you have to do is read

All you have to do is read the comments in this paper to know racism is alive and well. The comments right above this one are prime examples. Prime examples of the, "I'm not a racist but...." Start throwing out reasons you think someone is inferior and that means you think someone is inferior. I've travelled all around the country, and was just in DC for the President's speech at the Korean Memorial, and I can honestly say that the Augusta area is the most racist I have seen. The nickname Disgusta is truly earned.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/31/13 - 08:32 am
African immigrants in the

African immigrants in the United States are generally more educated and earn higher salaries than immigrants from elsewhere. The African immigrants' success, however, depends on what country they come from, according to a Bowling Green State University study.

Nearly six years ago, Dr. Kefa M. Otiso, an associate professor of geography originally from Kenya, became interested in how the nearly 1.5 million other African immigrants are “faring in the U.S., and how they are being incorporated into American society.”

His study shows that, overall, African immigrants perform better than the rest of the U.S. population in education and employment.

“Many African immigrants are successful because of their good work ethic, focus and a drive to succeed that is honed by the limited socioeconomic opportunities of their native African countries,” Otiso said.

So this is from an African who has immigrated to America. I'd like to hear what native born African-americans have to say about this study. U got some splainin' to do.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/31/13 - 08:44 am
"Racism is usually defined as

"Racism is usually defined as views, practices and actions reflecting the belief that humanity is divided into distinct biological groups called races and that members of a certain race share certain attributes which make that group as a whole less desirable, more desirable, inferior, or superior."
"The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others."
Bod you seem to be naïve what racism is. You point to a poster comment as racist but it appears it just an ad hominem because you disagree. Where did the poster call blacks inferior? Seems he was celebrating their successes. You don't believe there are "races" do you?
Yeah I called Augusta Disgusta too the first twenty years I lived here. So we get you don't like the area but as people told me you can always move.

chascushman
chascushman 07/31/13 - 08:38 am
" Yesterday morning I was

" Yesterday morning I was once again listening to black talk radio on AM1550 and it is unbelievable what is spewed there.:
deestafford, a while back I had XM radio and listen to black talk radio out of DC. There was one guy, I can't recall his name, that spewed nothing but racism. It was obvious that he HATED MOST white people. He came very close to inciting violence against whites. These black leaders, some are in the churches, are poisoning black people's minds and as long as they keep it up things are not going to get any better.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 07/31/13 - 08:45 am
Have you ever noticed most of

Have you ever noticed most of the true racist are liberals.

soldout
soldout 07/31/13 - 08:45 am
shortage of love and trust

I was told by a black the major problem is lack of love and trust between blacks and I don't quite see how white people are going to fix that. All and I mean all blacks today that want to achieve can do it. In this country both black and white are without excuse. Love and hate are both action words. You can't be a racist unless you take an action based on race.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 07/31/13 - 08:51 am
Bizkit

Good post. Bodhisattva is the real racist by inferring that someone else is racist when the post he refers to was not a racist post.

chascushman
chascushman 07/31/13 - 08:56 am
" Bod you seem to be naïve

" Bod you seem to be naïve what racism is. You point to a poster comment as racist but it appears it just an ad hominem because you disagree."
Biskit, I believe that this is not uncommon because dems & black leaders have poisoned people's minds.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/31/13 - 08:56 am
We all have endured an

We all have endured an injustice or some unfair situation in life-life ain't fair fur sure. But you know someone is a racist when their default answer to enduring the injustice or unfair act is because of their recognition of their race. If you believe you are of a race-by the definition above (Racism is usually defined as views, practices and actions reflecting the belief that humanity is divided into distinct biological groups called races) then you have to admit you are a racist. The same argument I've made over and over again-there is just the human race. Dang Catch 22.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/31/13 - 09:02 am
I wasn't accusing Bod of

I wasn't accusing Bod of racism (I like Bod and differing opinions) just using the ad hominem. I asked if he believed in "race" to clarify. If he answered yes, well then by definition he would be a racist. Ad hominem is just frustration when you don't really have a good retort. The Alinsky crap of just neutralize opposition by denigrating an opinion.

Bruce Garner
Bruce Garner 07/31/13 - 09:11 am
Racism: try another perspective before judging

Blaming people of color is yet another symptom of why we have racism still living among us. Most of us white folks never make any effort to see the world through the eyes of anyone who isn't just like we are. Straight folks make no effort to see the world from the perspective of those who are LGBT. Men rarely, if ever, try to see the world through the eyes of women. And black folks don't see the world through the eyes of white folks. If you are part of the "dominant" population, which even most categories of minorities are in some locations, there is no effort to see anything from the perpsective of those who are "your" minority. Racism, sexism, hetrosexism, classism, etc. will always exist unless and until the majority population makes some effort to end them. That begins with seeing through the eyes of others. History has shown that the dominant population has never willingly shared power and authority with the minority. It has always taken legal action in the legislative arena or the courts. That says nothing positive about the majority populations. Every institution of society perpetuates this phenomenon. Unfortunately, that includes the church.....whose mission it is to help us see through the eyes of others and walk in each other's shoes. The outcome of our current situation is is as stated in Romeo and Juliet: "All are punished! All are punished!

owensjef3
owensjef3 07/31/13 - 09:22 am
carcraft said

Republicans voted for the civil rights act than Democrats!
So what
Neither party is the same as it is now. Lets stop keeping score sometimes.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 07/31/13 - 09:23 am
Bruce Garner

It is an insult to black to equate homosexuality with skin color. You should be ashamed.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/31/13 - 09:28 am
Gone with the wind

Ok folks let us just say the hate talk is right...we whities are just mean & full of hate..now tell me ..how many want to go back to the African country side...nice green fields ---animals running wild & just good ole fun times again...raise your hand & we will accommodate you...WHAT...no hands raised, darn & double darn....well could that mean YOU really have it good here---you have a chance to prosper here---well by doggy start acting like it....

You are in the greatest country for advancement & you dang well know it.....we can't clean up the crime & sadness in your inner cities only you can do it....we have a diverse group of people in my county....many are working & striving for a better life....they are educating their children & providing a HOME life with parents in the house.....they will make it....I'm sorry if you can't see that ...

allhans
allhans 07/31/13 - 09:41 am
Obama continues the charade

Obama continues the charade that he grew up poor and was a victim of discrimination. Why does he do that when we are ALL aware of the opportunities that he was afforded.

BTW...My grandmother always told me that the more you stir (it) the more it stinks and this is what is happening here. This just goes on and on and on.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 07/31/13 - 09:43 am
This LTE

This LTE COULD NOT be worded any better !! If the AC had a contest for BEST LTE OF THE YEAR, this one would surely be in the top 10 of hundreds that are printed yearly !! Can not say enough positives !!

SRS shipments halted until 2016

Savannah River Site can't resume shipments of Cold War nuclear waste materials to an underground repository in New Mexico until at least 2016 when the federal government reopens the facility to ...